Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Vrains was bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Blockhouse posted:

I didn't watch VRAINS. Should I watch VRAINS? Was it bad or was it just the end of Arc-V making everyone gently caress off from the anime?

VRAINS is the worst goddamn Yugioh show and it's a waste of your time to even think about. It has it's moments here and there but overall it's shiiiiit.

(That being said it actually picks up for the third season but the third season is extremely short so lol.)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Blockhouse posted:

I didn't watch VRAINS. Should I watch VRAINS? Was it bad or was it just the end of Arc-V making everyone gently caress off from the anime?

I like it a lot, but the first season is jank. They get a director whose sole job is to salvage productions from the brink, and you see this via Link Summon being the longest canned animation of all time, played in full every time in the first cour, and there being a total of 5 recaps in the first 60 episodes. After the first cour it stabilizes a bit, and it becomes a far more normal production past season 1.

It's a darker season in a fairly genuine sense. Yusaku is a traumatized kid and the first season is slowly exploring the trauma, and how it's tied to the villains. Which leads to it being one of the more aggressive "MC wins, the sidecast has to work their rear end off for 50/50 ratios", and it's a tighter cast of heroes and villains, so sometimes it'll just feel like the plot's hanging for all the other good guys to get their asses handed so Yusaku can duel and continue his streak and thus kill the bad guy.

Part of why the production is a disaster is that Arc-V fell pretty behind on schedule, and VRAINS' concept was that Yusaku is a shy boy who becomes brave when dueling online, meets with all these extravagant online duelists who are focused on entertaining. The powers that be don't want it to be too Arc-V like, so they rework everything around the concept so it's not about the online entertainment aspect, rather a cyber detective thriller sorta, leading to season 2 being "okay, now give loving everyone a new gimmick that actually meshes with what this show is about"

At the end of hte day, I like it, but even outside all these production janks, the show's pretty flawed. The villain of the second season is pretty boring in the later half, and you can feel S3 getting cut short halfway through while it's doing interesting things. My favorite character is a wrestler fallen from grace who has a really cool arc that exposes his inner demons as he chases for glory... and it just kinda gets resolved offscreen. But if you're down to Main Character Show Featuring YGO, then Yusaku works through some really interesting poo poo, and the finale is pretty loving amazing.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 2, 2022

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Hearing that VRAINS got hosed because Arc-V was a complete dumpster fire is upsetting yet also, hilarious. I wonder if it could've been fixed if they hadn't spent, conservatively, 74 episodes on Battle Beast and brain worms.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I don't know what you guys are talking about Arc-V is the best YGO show except for how it suddenly ended after episode 49 on a cliffhanger

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

i looove arc-v. i love the characters, i love the setting, i love all the cool decks being played, i even think pendulum as a mechanic isn't that bad. but no anime that I've seen has dropped the ball harder than arc-v

i re-watched it with a friend a year and change ago and i told her "whatever you think the ending is going to be, no matter how low your expectations get, it's not going to be as good as that". absolutely any fan of the show could have written a more narratively satisfying back half of arc-v than what we got

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Still somehow better than the manga ending.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Still somehow better than the manga ending.

i honestly think i prefer the manga ending because while it is horrible, it's at least interesting. i have at least some emotional response to it

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m curious now, how does the Arc-V manga end and how is that somehow worse than what the anime did?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The important terrible bit is that Yuzu spends the whole thing in love with Yuya, then at the end he goes back to the future he comes from. Then she almost immediately runs into a young Yushou, cut to a few years later and they're married and raising their kid... Yuya.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Larryb posted:

I’m curious now, how does the Arc-V manga end and how is that somehow worse than what the anime did?

SO! The manga is a tighter, and according to most more boring, story about Yuya and his 3 siblings, and Reiji, coming from another time to defeat some sorta god or whatever. And then they do, but they gotta go back to their time to finish the job. In that final chapter, as they go to the edge of reality or whatever, Yuzu tries to confess to Yuya, ask him not to go, but he still does. A few weeks after returning to her normal life, Yuzu is greeted by a young boy her age going LADIES AND GENTLEMEN and talking up entertainment duels, that young boy is Sakaki Yusho.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

yugioh has such a funny relationship with time travel. in DM they only pretend to do it, in 5Ds the whole plot revolves around it but none of the main characters ever do it, and of course in the arc-v manga it's used as a vehicle for incest

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, that does sound worse than the anime honestly.

In that case are the GX, 5Ds, Zexal, and/or Sevens (assuming someone’s translated it by now) manga any good then?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

In that case are the GX, 5Ds, Zexal, and/or Sevens (assuming someone’s translated it by now) manga any good then?

GX is pretty good. It's a lot more consistent than the anime and it's where the actually good HERO cards come from.

5D's is very messy. I didn't finish it but I didn't enjoy what I read nearly as much as the anime.

Zexal from what the opinions I've seen is horrible, the writer would get bored of his actual plot and change it out of nowhere. I haven't checked it myself though.

Sevens I can't say because it isn't translated from what I've seen. Having so much Luke must be tiring though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So the only decent YGO manga are the original and GX then, got it (I’ve heard good things about Structures as well)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 2, 2022

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Larryb posted:

So the only decent YGO manga are the original and GX then, got it (I’ve heard good things about Structures as well)

Structures is very good, but there's no consistent translation into English, so we're very far behind and get new chapters kinda at random

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Skeleton Mom posted:

in 5Ds the whole plot revolves around it but none of the main characters ever do it,

smh at this disrespect for Bonds Beyond Time.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

and i'd do it again

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Larryb posted:

Nah I'd say all of the manga are pretty solid for what they are.

Zexal's writer didn't get tired of the plot, they just got tired of their final villain and so decided to bring in a hot babe as a new surprise villain at the end.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

The mangas are all not good and the manga variants of cards are almost all bad.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Vandar posted:

Nah I'd say all of the manga are pretty solid for what they are.

Zexal's writer didn't get tired of the plot, they just got tired of their final villain and so decided to bring in a hot babe as a new surprise villain at the end.

The ol' Kishimoto. Respect it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

The mangas are all not good and the manga variants of cards are almost all bad.

"Almost" exempting DM, of course, right? :colbert:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Haven’t watched it yet but just FYI the first episode of Go Rush is out and subbed now

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

5Ds manga sucked rear end, I only got through a couple of volumes but found it to be a massive slog.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Larryb posted:

Haven’t watched it yet but just FYI the first episode of Go Rush is out and subbed now

drat, that was fast. At least let Sevens get some peace first.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Just watched the first episode, the characters seem fun and the tone and duel style appear to be identical to Sevens. No word yet how long after the previous series this takes place or what the new protagonists’ relation to Yuga is though (though Yuuhi did lose the first duel of the season)

Also I forget, is this the first time someone’s had a duel against an opponent who had no idea how the card game worked?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Apr 3, 2022

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So I never kept up with King of Games because I was watching it as a kid when we didn't have TiVo or whatever so I couldn't record anything I'd miss and episodes felt kinda random anyway. I know the series in general is still trucking along. Did the remastered version of Duel Monsters go off the old anime or follow the manga? If it's the former, I guess there's no chance of one that follows along with manga like a King of Games Brotherhood or something. The manga seems like a lot of fun, like Kingdom Hearts' does too.

Also, I am so incredibly bad at googling things, is there a good wiki for the cards that just shows you all the cards of a specific theme? I just wanna see how many different types of Dark Magician and Elemental Heroes there are but I don't want to open 60 tabs to see everything. I just want to be able to click one thing and get a gallery of all of them that I can actually check out all the pictures of.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

RareAcumen posted:

So I never kept up with King of Games because I was watching it as a kid when we didn't have TiVo or whatever so I couldn't record anything I'd miss and episodes felt kinda random anyway. I know the series in general is still trucking along. Did the remastered version of Duel Monsters go off the old anime or follow the manga? If it's the former, I guess there's no chance of one that follows along with manga like a King of Games Brotherhood or something. The manga seems like a lot of fun, like Kingdom Hearts' does too.

Also, I am so incredibly bad at googling things, is there a good wiki for the cards that just shows you all the cards of a specific theme? I just wanna see how many different types of Dark Magician and Elemental Heroes there are but I don't want to open 60 tabs to see everything. I just want to be able to click one thing and get a gallery of all of them that I can actually check out all the pictures of.

Ygoprodeck has that, so for dark magician:
https://db.ygoprodeck.com/search/?&archetype=Dark%20Magician&num=30&offset=0&view=List

In the filter options you can choose by theme.
the UI is sized awkwardly for large horizontal displays though.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

So, for Yugioh Duel Monsters there was a 'remaster' but that was simply cropping the episodes to be widescreen and maybe messing with colors sometimes. It's just a worse experience. Best way to enjoy the original Yugioh is via the manga as the anime adaptation is just inferior in most regards.

Every show afterwards is an original anime that lasts around 3 years. The first one, Gx, is a sequel in the same world like a decade later so there's some connections. Second one, 5D's, says it's the same but there's no sensical way to put it in a timeline and the connections are small enough (except that a bully from the first couple chapters of the original manga shows up as a cop and recurring character) that it just doesn't make sense to stress about it. ZeXal, Arc-V and VRAINS are just standalone shows that happen to feature the same game and some of the themes. SEVENS and Go Rush!! use a rebooted game.
Since all these shows are anime originals, their manga adaptations are more like getting the same base outline and character designs and doing something else entirely for a monthly manga.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

MorningMoon posted:

So, for Yugioh Duel Monsters there was a 'remaster' but that was simply cropping the episodes to be widescreen and maybe messing with colors sometimes. It's just a worse experience. Best way to enjoy the original Yugioh is via the manga as the anime adaptation is just inferior in most regards.

Every show afterwards is an original anime that lasts around 3 years. The first one, Gx, is a sequel in the same world like a decade later so there's some connections. Second one, 5D's, says it's the same but there's no sensical way to put it in a timeline and the connections are small enough (except that a bully from the first couple chapters of the original manga shows up as a cop and recurring character) that it just doesn't make sense to stress about it. ZeXal, Arc-V and VRAINS are just standalone shows that happen to feature the same game and some of the themes. SEVENS and Go Rush!! use a rebooted game.
Since all these shows are anime originals, their manga adaptations are more like getting the same base outline and character designs and doing something else entirely for a monthly manga.

God dammit, everytime I post I realize how badly I explain myself.

I never saw all of Yu-Gi-Oh: Duel Monsters or any series really. I watched up to 5Ds and just forgot about the series. I remember vague bits about everything in those series but I never finished the entire series, unlike Dragon Ball Z.

I was mostly asking because I know that the manga does things differently, like Yugi's grandpa being in like a camcorder during the Pegasus Island part and they already knew about Yami by then. That's what I was more curious about, bits and pieces of the tl;dr in the OP sound familiar like Noah, Marik, Evil Jaden, Yubel, etc.

Small question, I know they do it twice maybe in Yami Yu-gi-oh and I'm pretty sure the academy gets like buried in sand and all the monsters become real or something but do they ever have people as their monsters fighting again? That was a fun time.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

God dammit, everytime I post I realize how badly I explain myself.

I never saw all of Yu-Gi-Oh: Duel Monsters or any series really. I watched up to 5Ds and just forgot about the series. I remember vague bits about everything in those series but I never finished the entire series, unlike Dragon Ball Z.

I was mostly asking because I know that the manga does things differently, like Yugi's grandpa being in like a camcorder during the Pegasus Island part and they already knew about Yami by then. That's what I was more curious about, bits and pieces of the tl;dr in the OP sound familiar like Noah, Marik, Evil Jaden, Yubel, etc.

Small question, I know they do it twice maybe in Yami Yu-gi-oh and I'm pretty sure the academy gets like buried in sand and all the monsters become real or something but do they ever have people as their monsters fighting again? That was a fun time.

Oh, if you mean anime/manga differences

-The first few volumes of the manga are loosely adapted in a Toei anime. This is where you get stuff like Yami burning people alive. There's one important fight with Shadi and 2 major arcs (Death Tower and Tabletop RPG W/Bakura) here.
-Duelist Kingdom is basically the third arc of the manga, first of the anime, so they're injecting as much of the setup as they can and things are pretty different.
-There's a filler virtual world arc.
-In the anime, Bandit Keith is possessed by the Battle City villain and attacks Yugi... in the manga it's all part of the Dungeon Dice Monsters mini-arc.
-Battle City is a much more faithful adaptation.
-The anime has a year+ of filler, while the manga goes from Battle City to the memory world inside the puzzle.
-Said final arc is also drastically different between anime and manga while going for hte same overall beats.

There's a movie called Darkside of Dimensions from like five years ago now, it follows the manga's ending because there's a change the anime makes which fucks the entire premise Kaiba did not witness Yami going to the afterlife and that fucks him up real bad, while in the anime he did.

In Arc-V people ride their monsters during duels, and one guy's gimmick is that he'll punch you during the duel, but that's about it for people and monsters working together.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Ygoprodeck has that, so for dark magician:
https://db.ygoprodeck.com/search/?&archetype=Dark%20Magician&num=30&offset=0&view=List

In the filter options you can choose by theme.
the UI is sized awkwardly for large horizontal displays though.

Oh this works well enough for what I need, thanks. UI is kinda weird though, I wish I could flip it off manga settings so right was next page but this works well enough.

MorningMoon posted:

In Arc-V people ride their monsters during duels, and one guy's gimmick is that he'll punch you during the duel, but that's about it for people and monsters working together.

drat, so the Yami Bakura fight was the only time they used that scenario. With the first show introducing magic, VR, Shadow Games and dreams, I would've thought they'd do that at least like, three times a series for fun but I guess not huh.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Instead you get summoning-type based holy wars and the subjugation of entire worlds.

Tough Times, War Crimes, we'll do it all together.

Biscats n Gravy
Jun 13, 2018

Smile.

MorningMoon posted:

I like it a lot, but the first season is jank. They get a director whose sole job is to salvage productions from the brink, and you see this via Link Summon being the longest canned animation of all time, played in full every time in the first cour, and there being a total of 5 recaps in the first 60 episodes. After the first cour it stabilizes a bit, and it becomes a far more normal production past season 1.

It's a darker season in a fairly genuine sense. Yusaku is a traumatized kid and the first season is slowly exploring the trauma, and how it's tied to the villains. Which leads to it being one of the more aggressive "MC wins, the sidecast has to work their rear end off for 50/50 ratios", and it's a tighter cast of heroes and villains, so sometimes it'll just feel like the plot's hanging for all the other good guys to get their asses handed so Yusaku can duel and continue his streak and thus kill the bad guy.

Part of why the production is a disaster is that Arc-V fell pretty behind on schedule, and VRAINS' concept was that Yusaku is a shy boy who becomes brave when dueling online, meets with all these extravagant online duelists who are focused on entertaining. The powers that be don't want it to be too Arc-V like, so they rework everything around the concept so it's not about the online entertainment aspect, rather a cyber detective thriller sorta, leading to season 2 being "okay, now give loving everyone a new gimmick that actually meshes with what this show is about"

At the end of hte day, I like it, but even outside all these production janks, the show's pretty flawed. The villain of the second season is pretty boring in the later half, and you can feel S3 getting cut short halfway through while it's doing interesting things. My favorite character is a wrestler fallen from grace who has a really cool arc that exposes his inner demons as he chases for glory... and it just kinda gets resolved offscreen. But if you're down to Main Character Show Featuring YGO, then Yusaku works through some really interesting poo poo, and the finale is pretty loving amazing.

This. I'm very much on team VRAINS was good, actually and smh @ everyone doing vrains slander but holy gently caress i just had to skip over the recap episodes after the little opening set-up skit because I was like "I literally just watched all of what you're about to show me, please let me continue with the plot." and theres all kinds of stuff the missed by not showing.

I will say I'll always find how poo poo and jank Bohman's Hydradrive deck was. but he had computer program god cheatcode powers, because he's a dirty cheater.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Instead you get summoning-type based holy wars and the subjugation of entire worlds.

Tough Times, War Crimes, we'll do it all together.

I went to try and find that video but instead I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjYcoH_vQYE

Good watch.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Go Rush is pretty good so far honestly and I already like the main trio a fair bit

Given the age of the returning cast so far I’m assuming the kids are either Yuga’s grandchildren or great grandchildren

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 11, 2022

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'm on a GX nostalgia kick and I have two thoughts so far:
- Seven Stars holds up surprisingly well, or at least, parts of it does. Some of it is absolutely wack (why did Kagemaru get a dude who was just coddled by his servants to be one of his assassins) but the parts that are good are really good. Having said that I'm not excited to dive into Society of Light, I remember the pacing on that being brutal. :lol:
- The manga is like, actually great? Some weird stuff aside (Kaiser has a tournament built around dueling him, Manjoume wins it, Kaiser beats Manjoume and then....does nothing for the rest of the series), it's a really good, brisk read. Manjoume is probably more charismatic and fun Judai's entire arc is probably more compelling in the anime, but I kinda like the manga's versions of them better.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Manga Chazz completely misses the entire point of Chazz. I don’t like him, and his deck is pretty boring imo.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
I prefer the manga characters more generally, but anime Chazz is the exception. I guess anime Bastion is conceptually more interesting but way underutilized. It's honestly just really nice to see the supporting cast be competent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I just like that there's a version of Manjoume that gets to just be competent and do stuff that matters. Dude has something he wants to do (become a strong duelist, protect Light and Darkness Dragon) and he just does it. Anime Manjoume is more entertaining and charismatic but man the plot does wack-rear end-poo poo with him after season 1, as it kinda does to everybody that's not Judai or Kaiser.