Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I’m so mad about the hot dogs.

It looks like they’re being cooked on a flat top or rollers, yet they have these tiny little grill marks like they were grilled. Worse, they look brutally undercooked. I don’t want a charred dog, but I like some pretty “done” spots and make sure it’s nice and hot all the way through - especially if it’s one of those thick all beef franks that can be almost hard to heat the center without either splitting them or getting they pretty well done.

I won’t even go into the idea of the hot dogs just sitting there not on heat half-cooked also, but there’s another problem!

I’m not playing the game until we get a full vertical hotdog slice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

love how their ultra fidelity grill marks also look like one swipe with a random Photoshop brush.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

love how their ultra fidelity grill marks also look like one swipe with a random Photoshop brush.

There's no time to get stuck on a realistic color or grill marks. We only have a few years to make a single river.

The good thing is, our players will get literal years of gameplay from the river so they'll forget about the hot dogs.

.random
May 7, 2007

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I’m so mad about the hot dogs.

It looks like they’re being cooked on a flat top or rollers, yet they have these tiny little grill marks like they were grilled. Worse, they look brutally undercooked. I don’t want a charred dog, but I like some pretty “done” spots and make sure it’s nice and hot all the way through - especially if it’s one of those thick all beef franks that can be almost hard to heat the center without either splitting them or getting they pretty well done.

I won’t even go into the idea of the hot dogs just sitting there not on heat half-cooked also, but there’s another problem!

I’m not playing the game until we get a full vertical hotdog slice.

Don’t worry, commando. Hotdogs are already cooked!

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

.random posted:

Don’t worry, commando. Hotdogs are already cooked!

Yeah but there’s nothing more disappointing than getting a room temp hot dog bite.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Yeah but there’s nothing more disappointing than getting a room temp hot dog bite.

Try one ice cold in the middle

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Hotdogs, Noodles, Pizza, Coffee - Hundreds of years in the future of a human race that has spread out across the stars.

Chris Roberts truly is a inspired creative genius on a whole new level never seen before.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

.random posted:

I’m pretty sure her real-life mother is of Asian descent. So, ya know.

No, but this is a really awkward thing to say in English. It’s like saying “I am having a really hard time. Also, run a lot.”

There’s no native English speaker who would be like “YEP, that sounds right to me!”

My dude I live in England and you have no idea how bad English people are at English.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/fatcatplays/status/1509110289844916229

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Would have been funnier if instead of a cat, it was Nick Ackado's most famous photo.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

cmdrk posted:

River Citizen: Look at the patches ahead my friend. There is now underwater river bed with its own texture

Paddle faster, I hear space banjos!

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Mirificus posted:

One of the most anticipated features of 3.18...Coffee! Star Citizen #Shorts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_i3ux_LnLM

Why does the coffee have an anus? Where did this short come from? It can't be real promotional material. Right?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

LostRook posted:

Why does the coffee have an anus? Where did this short come from? It can't be real promotional material. Right?

From the Committee for the Proliferation of Arm-swinging and Paroxysms, where it is indeed their primary promotional material.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/oixPMRQ.gifv

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
Haha the April fools joke is sooooo funny.

LMAO

Hooo boy, we sure had fun when the game was a buggy pre-alpha piece of poo poo, indeed.

I’m so happy with the full Star Citizen and Squadron 42 experience now, they were well worth the wait.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
They missed a Hairy Roberts, though, that was another funny joke

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mirificus posted:

One of the most anticipated features of 3.18...Coffee! Star Citizen #Shorts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_i3ux_LnLM

So, basically, the function of the coffee shop employee is to push the buttons of the coffee-matic for you? Well, fine, I guess, their whole society seems based around having people do menial jobs for no reason.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

JugbandDude posted:

Haha the April fools joke is sooooo funny.

LMAO

Hooo boy, we sure had fun when the game was a buggy pre-alpha piece of poo poo, indeed.

I’m so happy with the full Star Citizen and Squadron 42 experience now, they were well worth the wait.

You should see today's Star Citizen Live show!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x1KxC4-QR8

Oh, and here is a full fly-over the place that'll introduce years of gameplay. Period!

https://v.redd.it/9tpkr7wjyuq81/DASH_480.mp4?source=fallback.gif

trucutru fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 2, 2022

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
River my rear end. That's a creek :eng101:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
That sure is a river full of grey rocks. Worth the wait.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:
My favourite parts of the river are all the areas it flows uphill.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mellow_ posted:

My favourite parts of the river are all the areas it flows uphill.

I have been informed by the backers that the lake is the endpoint of the river so you dumb goonie cuntiflas ignoramus.

Behold the bottom of the lake in all its glory!

https://v.redd.it/4w1k4moc7wq81/DASH_480.mp4?source=fallback.gif

Monocle cat will be ecstatic about the fidelity.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
lol walking under water is no different than walking on land except they added a water effect to the screen. Fidelity!

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

trucutru posted:

You should see today's Star Citizen Live show!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x1KxC4-QR8

Oh, and here is a full fly-over the place that'll introduce years of gameplay. Period!

That river video makes me feel bad for my country of New Zealand as it seem that all of our rivers are defective as they don't all flow with an uniform width across for their whole length.

God does not understand river generation.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

trucutru posted:

I have been informed by the backers that the lake is the endpoint of the river so you dumb goonie cuntiflas ignoramus.

Oh my, that is really really bad - even passing it off as tier 0 is embarrassing.

How are people putting money into this still?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Restaurant Milos

That background is surprisingly unique...

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

trucutru posted:

What a lovely fly-by that makes people ill when watching it. It gives off the impression that the "river" goes up and downhill in the same direction, which... you know.

Good to see that "rivers" also have no forests around them despite being in a seemingly temperate zone.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jobbo_Fett posted:

What a lovely fly-by that makes people ill when watching it.

Meany, after all the effort the dude took to manually roll his chariot at every turn so that it doesn't look like he's controlling a no-clip camera.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kosumo posted:

Oh my, that is really really bad - even passing it off as tier 0 is embarrassing.

How are people putting money into this still?

Once you put enough money on it even poo poo tastes great.

quote:

I love this.. You can imagine what it Will feel like when the vfx team and the audio team get their hands on it.. Even without swiming the atmosphere Will be there.. Also you can hide from bounty Hunters there. 😁

quote:

Gonna be a bit scurry I imagine. Once they are able to add content (creatures, caves etc.) there's the opportunity for Subnautica levels of dread.

quote:

Fishing!! We need fishing in this game!! It’s a sin not to fish in that beautiful river!

quote:

River tech is great. The only improvement I could see them making is the hard straight edges at the interception between the water and the river bank. Probably a hard problem to solve, though I've seen games show different solutions to it, when it comes to waves on a beach. But non require the scalability and all the specific nature of SC. We'll see.

also, lol:

quote:

Let’s all remember this is the first river in the game… I get that we all have high expectations… but keep in mind this is #1 lol. Now I can argue that it shouldn’t be that hard to put a river in given how many examples in games you have to go off and literally can find developers/artist who specialize in this.

But let’s remember this is SC, the fact the river didn’t rush up and kill the guy while flying is a plus

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

quote:

Also you can hide from bounty Hunters there. 😁

Hmm, let's see, my prey is hiding on this planet with 99.9999% of the surface random and nondescript. Also, one loving river, the only one in the galaxy. I wonder where they could be hiding. Surely they wouldn't... Ah gently caress it, let's check the river first.

Astaldo
Jan 4, 2015

xXxGangsterNinjaAssassinxXx
But it's just a river...

Wtf is happening.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

FishMcCool posted:

Hmm, let's see, my prey is hiding on this planet with 99.9999% of the surface random and nondescript. Also, one loving river, the only one in the galaxy. I wonder where they could be hiding. Surely they wouldn't... Ah gently caress it, let's check the river first.

Well, once subsumption is in the game and the quanta simulation is activated, the lake will be one of the major tourist attractions in this space sector. This ignorant comment shows that you don't appreciate the scale and scope of Chris' vision for this game. Let me take you to space school.

As we know, Star Citizen will have at least 30 M active daily players, and with a ratio of 9 subsumption AIs per player, that's a massive in-game population: 300,000,000 !
Wait... divide by 100 systems, let's say that 40% are inhabitated... Oh, yea some systems have several planets or orbital megastuctures, so let's say on average 1.5 per system...
Only 5 million per planet? Uh, I guess since space travel is so ubiquitous a major tourist attraction like this will have major pull... Let's say equivalent to the Niagara Falls at, uh, 20-ish million tourists per year?...

Look, I'm not going to take more of my precious time to explain all the simple details to you ignoramusae. It's a major tourist location with so many people the bottom of the lake will be so packed it's an ideal place to avoid being found by bounty hunters.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Shazback posted:

the bottom of the lake will be so packed

This I could totally, unironically picture. Hordes of T-posing NPCs just chilling at the bottom of the lake. Bikini Bottom Citizen confirmed!

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I think the hiding from bounty hunters thing does give you a glimpse into the mind of Citizens. Hiding is not a goal by itself, you log into the game to do something not just hide at a river from someone who may or may not be looking for you. They're essentially going to be playing hide and seek solo, where they just hide and no one bothers looking for them.

If you're a criminal you should be logging in to do crime and bounty hunters try to stop you doing the crime.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
The commandos imagine living the commando life 24/7 though, they don't really think about the concept of logging out and doing something else. Like, being a space poor - they like to think of impoverished space paupers logged into their space yacht 24/7, cleaning the toilets, and dreaming of a time when they get promoted to space petit bourgeoisie and they can walk around with a clipboard checking on the toilet cleaners

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

trucutru posted:

That's a lot of rendering pop-in. And still as angular as ever. That's probably why it so consistently looks like it's going downhill: because the reflection and shading makes it seem like it disappears over a crest at the far edge (= 200m in front) of how far the environment is rendered.

Yeah, that's definitely how shallow water behaves.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

trucutru posted:

Fishing!! We need fishing in this game!! It’s a sin not to fish in that beautiful river!

Of course, what's the point of natural beauty if you can't extract resources from it!

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

trucutru posted:

Read it and weep, goonie subnauticatifas

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

trucutru posted:

Why is everything visually waving underwater??? :stonk:

Have these people never been underwater?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

FishMcCool posted:

Why is everything visually waving underwater??? :stonk:

Have these people never been underwater?

The last game they played with underwater sections was Sonic Labyrinth Zone so it all checks out