Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
South park is the single counterexample to "the show was better before it got political" being a dogwhistle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Nihilism isn’t only a political position, but I’m pretty sure I agree with that. There was a time when the show was interested in presenting the experience of childhood.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
The ninja weapon episode is pure kids with weapons after watching dragon ball z

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Vitruvian Manic posted:

giving the ring to avatars of manwe would make giving it to galadriel look like a good idea.

The Lord of the Rings but it ends with Manwë becoming Morgoth Mark II. Eru says "gently caress it", destroys all or creation, and sulks by himself in the Timeless Halls forever.

Woolie Wool has a new favorite as of 20:15 on Apr 2, 2022

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

The ninja weapon episode is pure kids with weapons after watching dragon ball z

But DBZ doesnt have weapons.

I mean other then that time Gohan had a sword.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

PhazonLink posted:

When Freiza came back to life in Super, one of his henchmen nearly killed Super Saiyan Goku with a laser sniper rifle.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Also Trunks.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
How did any of you forget Farmer With A Shotgun?

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Schubalts posted:

How did any of you forget Farmer With A Shotgun?

smh at the folks who don't remember dbz's greatest hero

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

People always forgetting Yajirobe, if his wasn't for him samurai slashing at giant ape Vegeta's tail DBZ would have been over with real fast.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I've been watching Dragon Ball and its constantly surprising how its such a different thing than what Z forward turned into.

The part that did not age well is that like 80% of the humor is Haha, Sexual Harassment.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I always enjoyed the fact that Toriyama decided to take his lighthearted karate sex comedy comic and then go “you know what, he’s an alien now, and his long lost brother is going to kill him a couple chapters in.”

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Shiroc posted:

The part that did not age well is that like 80% of the humor is Haha, Sexual Harassment.

And surprisingly the worst of it isn't even the Master Roshi stuff.

https://dragonball.fandom.com/wiki/Bulma%27s_Bad_Day
The single worst episode of dragonball as far as that stuff goes.

Also, the dubs avoid this, but the subs don't, but a whole lot of the jokes at General Blue's expense come from the fact that he is (in Japanese) gay.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The manga handles the fact that he's gay infinitely better than the anime.

Holy poo poo the anime

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

BrainDance posted:

And surprisingly the worst of it isn't even the Master Roshi stuff.

https://dragonball.fandom.com/wiki/Bulma%27s_Bad_Day
The single worst episode of dragonball as far as that stuff goes.

Also, the dubs avoid this, but the subs don't, but a whole lot of the jokes at General Blue's expense come from the fact that he is (in Japanese) gay.
Ah yes, the rapists in helicopters episode.

The two-parter Dr Slump crossover also had General Blue being infatuated with Obotchaman, a robot who appears to be a young boy. I think the dub changed it so that Blue thought he was his long lost little brother or something.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

PhazonLink posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1QKyB_0P0E

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I would just like to remind everyone that team four star exists still, even though they've wrapped up with DBZ. Their HFIL shorts are amazing.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I watched the original Fast and the Furious last night. For how the later movies get better at it, I had forgotten how ridiculously racist the first one is.

I also had forgotten how Vince's jealousy about Brian and Mia is primarily expressed through 2001 homophobia and slurs.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

I mean where's the surprise here?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Shiroc posted:

I watched the original Fast and the Furious last night. For how the later movies get better at it, I had forgotten how ridiculously racist the first one is.

I also had forgotten how Vince's jealousy about Brian and Mia is primarily expressed through 2001 homophobia and slurs.

Sounds like it made you angry pretty quick

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

lol

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

I mean where's the surprise here?

There have been 13 years of Fast and Furious where the only F word you expect to hear yelled at characters is Family.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Shiroc posted:

There have been 13 years of Fast and Furious where the only F word you expect to hear yelled at characters is Family.
I'm just going on the meathead vibes here. I'm not exactly in their demographic 🤷🏻‍♀️

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Any time I need a lol I remember that the big race event at the end of the first movie was called "Race Wars"

Says it all really

Edit: oh another poorly aged thing: they made movies 4-6 take place between 2&3, but in the third movie everyone is using regular flip phones to Livestream the big drift race at the end (lol) but then in later movies everyone has smartphones. I don't blame them for wanting Han in more movies though, he was the only good character in Tokyo Drift.

Humerus has a new favorite as of 20:23 on Apr 3, 2022

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The director originally wanted to call the movie Race Wars (apparently the real name of the actual racing event that the movie is inspired by?) and the producers had to explain to him why that was a bad idea.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Only one team of international tug-of-war champions will win…THE DAY OF THE ROPE!

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Crowetron posted:

The director originally wanted to call the movie Race Wars (apparently the real name of the actual racing event that the movie is inspired by?) and the producers had to explain to him why that was a bad idea.

There is a racing event in the first movie explicitly called "race wars" as well

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Humerus posted:

Any time I need a lol I remember that the big race event at the end of the first movie was called "Race Wars"

Says it all really

Crowetron posted:

Billy Gnosis posted:

There is a racing event in the first movie explicitly called "race wars" as well

we've reached the point of speedrunning PYF thread conversation loops

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Alaois posted:

we've reached the point of speedrunning PYF thread conversation loops

That's what I get for only skimming the thread. My bad

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

I AM GRANDO posted:

Only one team of international tug-of-war champions will win…THE DAY OF THE ROPE!

:golfclap:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Wait, was it called that because their master plan was to drug everyone and make them sterile?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Crowetron posted:

The real life event it was inspired by was called "Point Break" though?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I heard one of the movies was about a race war

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The Race Wars are only a small part of the movie, with the ongoing race war subplot overlapping the Race Wars.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I'm just so tired of all these Race Wars!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
In 7, they return to the Race Wars, letting the audience know that Hector continues to war in the races, unaffected by the conclusion of the race war that seems to have had the wiped out the Vietnamese crew.

Shiroc has a new favorite as of 01:35 on Apr 4, 2022

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
you're tellin me this is some kinda war...race???

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

sexpig by night posted:

you're tellin me this is some kinda war...race???

Wasn't that Fury Road?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

bunnyofdoom posted:

Wasn't that Fury Road?

no no, that was a Chase Race, common mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I AM GRANDO posted:

And the Dark Crystal prequel show was going to be called Crystal Knight.