Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

LOL i went to high school with this guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

christmas boots posted:

He just really likes clean, efficient mathematical models and it's really annoying when reality keeps loving things up and overcomplicating it.
Yeah, exactly! I knew some people like this in college, except they all actually went into pure mathematics and are now professors, so obviously this guy is not that, but I want to believe.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

this is so loving great. i absolutely love it.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I’ve had a few older relatives who have had strokes and ended up in near vegetative states in memory care facilities where they’ve lingered for a year or so and man I’d rather die at 75 than be half alive in that state. It must be a miserable existence and it only really exists because we can stop a body from dying all the way sometimes even when it’s too far gone to really ever come back. My great aunt even had all the right paperwork for DNR but her kids in a moment of terror and panic directed the hospital staff to disregard which entirely human response and I don’t know exactly what you do about it but the very end of life if you’re an American with some money can just be a miserable state of existence. Both my father’s parents died really clean before they could be ‘saved’ and it was sad but probably better for everyone.

Yeah this is like one of the main reasons why I used to believe supporting euthanasia is absolutely correct.

I've started having serious doubts now that it's primarily the liberal parties who also love their austerity cuts gutting the healthcare system pushing for it. They make all the right noises about people being allowed to decide about their own bodies and die with dignity but at the same time it sure is convenient for them if old people would just die rather than get expensive treatment.

Starting to think euthanasia can only be ethical if we abolish capitalism first.

Truga posted:

yeah but what he's saying is "cyclers don't actually emit much less because they live longer" which is just insanely loving wrong, because the average car emits more in a year than you will in a couple decades

Uhmm no?

Living longer means you consume a bunch of poo poo extra, like say food. Which takes a whole bunch of emissions to produce and transport, just like anything else you consume. You might also get on an extra plane for a holiday you would've already croaked for had you been less healthy. And on and on, basically just living an average life in western society for a year causes a shitton of emissions.

It's the same logic that concludes that having children is the single most environmentally unfriendly action you can take. And it leads to the conclusion that immediate human extinction is by far the best thing that could happen to the environment. Which again, is true, just not useful.

The more useful conclusion is that we need to radically transform our society on a fundamental level and individuals changing their daily habits to try to benefit the environment is an absolutely pointless undertaking until we do.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 09:05 on Apr 1, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Yeah, exactly! I knew some people like this in college, except they all actually went into pure mathematics and are now professors, so obviously this guy is not that, but I want to believe.

P sure economics like that is for people who want to have pure mathematics brain but can't actually hack it so they get into a field that's full of comforting lies and gets them jobs as cheerleaders for the ruling class

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

P sure economics like that is for people who want to have pure mathematics brain but can't actually hack it so they get into a field that's full of comforting lies and gets them jobs as cheerleaders for the ruling class

Ding ding ding! Got it in one!

During my economics grad program, I had to write a paper analyzing the Ukrainian economy, and make some policy recommendations as to how they could pull themselves out of the "developing economy" stage of development. My presentation's conclusion of "They would need Russia to leave them alone, which isn't going to happen because of their natural resources and the historic nature of the dispute, so maybe if they joined NATO but lol at that actually happening" was not popular, but my professor was hard pressed to argue against it. There just wasn't a way to mathematically model "a large foreign aggressor is trying to militarily conquer the nation" or "an oligarchic system concentrates wealth among a group of strong men who determine policy based on their own personal benefits" such that, like, the local government passing subsidies to encourage the study of computer programming among high school and college students to let off some dependence on oil extraction would have any real effect.

Much of the program was essentially watching people cite utilitarianism as the greatest thing ever and then attempt to quantify unquantifiable things so they could use calculus on them, ignoring that that school of thought was pretty thoroughly discredited in philosophical circles 150 some years ago, and modern ones like Peter Singer are considered very weird by their peers.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Orange Devil posted:

Uhmm no?

Living longer means you consume a bunch of poo poo extra, like say food. Which takes a whole bunch of emissions to produce and transport, just like anything else you consume. You might also get on an extra plane for a holiday you would've already croaked for had you been less healthy. And on and on, basically just living an average life in western society for a year causes a shitton of emissions.

It's the same logic that concludes that having children is the single most environmentally unfriendly action you can take. And it leads to the conclusion that immediate human extinction is by far the best thing that could happen to the environment. Which again, is true, just not useful.

The more useful conclusion is that we need to radically transform our society on a fundamental level and individuals changing their daily habits to try to benefit the environment is an absolutely pointless undertaking until we do.

actually, yes. the reason why "child is more than car" is that a child will emit more than a car over their respective lifespans

i dunno what it's like elsewhere, but in my country the average footprint was 8t per capita before covid hit, and average car emits ~4t/year, which is over half that, so you'd have to live twice as long if you don't drive to emit more

i don't think you appreciate just how much cars pollute

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/OliverJia1014/status/1509460067313016843

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Truga posted:

actually, yes. the reason why "child is more than car" is that a child will emit more than a car over their respective lifespans

i dunno what it's like elsewhere, but in my country the average footprint was 8t per capita before covid hit, and average car emits ~4t/year, which is over half that, so you'd have to live twice as long if you don't drive to emit more

i don't think you appreciate just how much cars pollute

Right ok but that assumes full substitution of car by cycling, rather than partial subsitution. Which seems infeasible unless we're fully substituting the car by cycling + public transport, which again in a lot of places would first require a radically transformed society to make public transport readily available.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Altho’ I pretend to no peculiar information respecting commercial affairs, nor any foresight into the scenes of futurity; yet as the member of an infant-empire,

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Orange Devil posted:

Yeah this is like one of the main reasons why I used to believe supporting euthanasia is absolutely correct.

I've started having serious doubts now that it's primarily the liberal parties who also love their austerity cuts gutting the healthcare system pushing for it. They make all the right noises about people being allowed to decide about their own bodies and die with dignity but at the same time it sure is convenient for them if old people would just die rather than get expensive treatment.

Starting to think euthanasia can only be ethical if we abolish capitalism first.

oh yeah succ world euthanasia is going to be opt-out and continuing to opt out will require life insurance from a federally recognized employer

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Orange Devil posted:

Starting to think existing can only be ethical if we abolish capitalism first.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/ktulrich/status/1508795788398370823

Clicking through is even better

A lot of people are against child mortality, but they may not have taken into account the fiscal benefits of half their kids dying of rickets by age 12

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Looking forward to the red wedding of economics ghouls and malthusian environmentalism as the waters rise higher.

NYT Opinion Page, April 3rd, 2042

Human Life - Is It Profitable To Bother Continuing?
By Paul Krugman

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
You can read the paper. It doesn’t talk about carbon emissions, just energy usage.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ktulrich/status/1508795788398370823

Clicking through is even better

A lot of people are against child mortality, but they may not have taken into account the fiscal benefits of half their kids dying of rickets by age 12

When you think about it, Thanos had some really good ideas.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Thanos wanted to kill 50% of the universe at random, not just the poor and minorities.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I hope the Avengers can reach him in time to show him how to fiscally optimize his plan, he's just leaving money on the table by killing at random!!!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Suspicious posted:

Thanos wanted to kill 50% of the universe at random, not just the poor and minorities.

why didn’t he just make 100% more resources with the god power

should have just kept it so he was down bad for miss death

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Suspicious posted:

WINK WINK
e: in "What If" they rehabilitated Thanos, who literally murdered half of all life in our universe, and made Killmonger the multiversal ultimate irredeemable hypervillain, so bad they had to create a hyper hell just for him permanently guarded by a white gatekeeper

Flesh Forge has issued a correction as of 11:59 on Apr 2, 2022

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Flesh Forge posted:

WINK WINK
e: in "What If" they rehabilitated Thanos, who literally murdered half of all life in our universe, and made Killmonger the multiversal ultimate irredeemable hypervillain, so bad they had to create a hyper hell just for him permanently guarded by a white gatekeeper

lol really

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

disney must’ve really not liked people saying he was right

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kitfox88 posted:

why didn’t he just make 100% more resources with the god power
because that doesn't have any conflict whatsoever

let alone why he wouldn't make more

agree he still shoulda just been horny for death

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Flesh Forge posted:

WINK WINK

Lol

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/davidaxelrod/status/1510292754626134023

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

holy moly

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

If you're not enough of a boomer to remember him:

quote:

DAVID AXELROD: You said something interesting when was, it isn't good enough to argue that the country doesn't want this. It does seem as if you're running for president that you ought to take into consideration what the country wants. And the fact is large numbers of people oppose the Medicare for All proposal if it replaces private insurance.

We've seen it in poll after poll, a large number of people in this country do not believe the border should be decriminalized. A large number of people in did country don't believe that undocumented immigrants should qualify for public [aid]...

I appreciate your feelings about these issues and I'm very passionate about health care myself. I was in the White House when we fought just to get the Affordable Care Act, couldn't get a public option. So Bernie Sanders was there. He knows that. He knows that what he's talking about is not going to happen any time soon.

And so should the party move forward -- this is what Democrats are asking. Do we move forward with these idealized proposals that are going to beg opposition and make it easier for Donald Trump to make his case and win re-election when the stakes are so high? This is what a lot of Democrats are worried about

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

He don’t miss

https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/1510329786245263366?s=20&t=RgZ2vHdKt0DJuRsRp6rJIQ

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Orange Devil posted:

Yup. Here in Canada, support for mentally ill people has been frozen for years, but now people with non-terminal mental illnesses can apply to be killed by the state!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Flesh Forge posted:

WINK WINK

A fitting end to a CIA asset.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

not really, at least for Thanos. There's an alt-universe version who gets convinced he's wrong by T'Challa well before the snap etc even happens

it's pretty much for comic relief and (because of the premise of the episode) is just another dunk on Starlord for being poo poo

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
assisted dying is disproportionately used by upper/middle class (and iirc middle-aged) white people, even in the parts of amerikkka where it's legal. which i guess makes sense if you think about it as a health service with all the usual inequities of access!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Doctor Spaceman posted:

not really, at least for Thanos. There's an alt-universe version who gets convinced he's wrong by T'Challa well before the snap etc even happens

it's pretty much for comic relief and (because of the premise of the episode) is just another dunk on Starlord for being poo poo

well yes no poo poo, they did not literally re-incarnate the dead thanos from our universe and give him a careful re-education, I mean in a story sense they rehabilitated the character. the version of killmonger is also obviously different. it's also all fiction so all of it is "not really" hurr hurr. the writers chose who to rewrite into a hero and who to rewrite into ultra anti god who has to be confined in a pocket hell universe for all eternity.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Actually knowing all this marvel lore poo poo should disqualify you from posting

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/stopTHAAD/status/1510611964925714432?s=20&t=Wurb0YujcfuUJLnVZFvxSw

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Orange DeviI posted:

Actually knowing all this marvel lore poo poo should disqualify you from posting

ok boomer

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Orange DeviI posted:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

and if you've ever bought anything else you're just a slaver?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

indigi posted:

ok boomer

Discounting the old golden age stuff that was tied in later, the Marvel universe began with Fantastic Four #1 on November 01, 1961.

Going by the typical definition of "Baby Boomer" as people born between 1946-1964, the oldest boomers would have been about 15 or so right in prime comic book reading age.

Being a Marvel fan is, in fact, the most Boomer thing you can be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

christmas boots posted:

Discounting the old golden age stuff that was tied in later, the Marvel universe began with Fantastic Four #1 on November 01, 1961.

Going by the typical definition of "Baby Boomer" as people born between 1946-1964, the oldest boomers would have been about 15 or so right in prime comic book reading age.

Being a Marvel fan is, in fact, the most Boomer thing you can be.

ok boomer