Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I.M. Gei you better post pictures of the étouffée you end up making

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Butter is gonna burn bro

Don't people use butter to make gumbo roux all the time though?

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Also how much stock are you using? I hope it’s like 10 quarts with that much roux.

Fuckabees posted:

You will need:
1.5 cups Lard/butter/oil (any but come the gently caress on...choose lard)
2 cups White Flower
[...]
Coupla things of chicken stock. I like those boxes cause you can squeeze them and that is vaguely erotic to me. Quit the judging. Making your own is good but off topic. If you like fish tastes ( I don't) use fish stock. Like 3 of the boxes.

:confused:

"thing"/"box" = one quart, I thought. That would only be 3 quarts of stock per 1.5 cups fat and 2 cups flour, which is what I've always used.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

Don't people use butter to make gumbo roux all the time though?

:confused:

"thing"/"box" = one quart, I thought. That would only be 3 quarts of stock per 1.5 cups fat and 2 cups flour, which is what I've always used.

Butter will burn much quicker especially at high heat. Oil is way easier to work with in my opinion.

1 cup each of flour and oil works with 3 quarts. Every recipe I’ve seen and the vast majority of gumbos I’ve made are around that. Sometimes 1.5 cups flour to 1 cup oil for 3 quarts, sometimes a gallon.

2 cups of each is a lot of roux. With 3 quarts stock it’s going to be very thick. Maybe that’s what you’re shooting for but keep that in mind. You can always add more liquid—when I’ve made big gumbos with 2 cups of oil and flour, I usually am using 8 quarts of stock. In a pinch you can use water too, but stock is obviously better so best to have some on hand to get the consistency you want. And remember it’s easy to add stock and get it thinner—a bit harder to make more roux to get it thicker.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I'll have plenty of extra stock so I can add more if I need to. And I'm using like double the meat and veggies the recipe calls for (more flavor and nutrition that way) so I'll probably add at least a quart or two of stock.

Good thing I got my dad this 9-quart Le Creuset enameled dutch oven for Chrismas :getin:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
You can use butter for roux. Regular butter's smoke point is 150C, which is about the same temperature as the maillard reaction and lower than caramelization. So the butter is definitely going to burn.

OTOH some people like the taste of brown butter. It's got some bitter flavors, but the overall effect is not really different than the stuff that's happening with the flour. But you're upping the ante. It goes bad much faster than the flour.

Really, if you have any concerns at all about loving up your food, vegetable oil is so much easier than anything else. It doesn't stick to the pan at all, it's easier to keep moving, it's much harder to gently caress up. And if you want to turn the heat up so that it takes less than 30 minutes you can easily do so without smoking the oil.

Personally I would only do butter for a medium creole style roux. Less tricky, and since you need way less roux per volume of liquid to do the thickening it's not an insane amount of butter.

(Alternately: clarified butter / ghee has a much higher smoke temperature, if you really insist on putting 1/2 pound of saturated fat in your gumbo.)

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Can I split the diff and do 1/2 vegetable oil and 1/2 butter?

All I want to do is use a fat that tastes better than loving lard, and I'm not 100% sure if veggie oil is it. Maybe like, canola or peanut oil, but vegetable oil?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I use butter or peanut oil for my roux, haven't had a burnt one in near a decade or more.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

You’re browning flour in the fat, then adding all kinds of flavor later on…I’d focus on perfecting the browning, not the subtle flavor of the fat source. To me, the best feature of fat would be (1) Uniformity if the fat’s consistency and (2) its ability to take heat. Oil is perfect for this. I used to use bacon grease a lot but found that more often than not it would cause issues (separating, burning etc) whereas the flavor profile of the gumbo didn’t really improve all that much.

That being said I wouldn’t mix butter and oil for this, you’re just unnecessarily complicating things.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Phil Moscowitz posted:

You’re browning flour in the fat, then adding all kinds of flavor later on…I’d focus on perfecting the browning, not the subtle flavor of the fat source. To me, the best feature of fat would be (1) Uniformity if the fat’s consistency and (2) its ability to take heat. Oil is perfect for this. I used to use bacon grease a lot but found that more often than not it would cause issues (separating, burning etc) whereas the flavor profile of the gumbo didn’t really improve all that much.

That being said I wouldn’t mix butter and oil for this, you’re just unnecessarily complicating things.

I wouldn't mix butter and oil either. Same for me that bacon grease just didn't work right, same for schmaltz. I did use duck fat twice now and it was pretty great.

Butter has worked for me tbh but it is more difficult and I wouldn't suggest someone new to making a dark roux start with it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

I. M. Gei posted:

Can I split the diff and do 1/2 vegetable oil and 1/2 butter?

All I want to do is use a fat that tastes better than loving lard, and I'm not 100% sure if veggie oil is it. Maybe like, canola or peanut oil, but vegetable oil?

Canola oil is great. That's what I use. Sorry, I'm one of the idiots who uses "vegetable" oil as a generic name and usually means canola for what's actually in the bottle. (Though TBQH I really don't taste much difference between canola, corn, and soy oil myself. At least, not once it's used to cook something.)

Any refined cooking oil is fine, pick whichever you like best. The main thing is you want to use a refined oil, not the ultra-fancy cold pressed whatever. It's the process of refining that gives most of the heat resistance.

Like, you can use a light cooking olive oil to fry or make a roux. But not the extra virgin.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

using a full cup of unrefined coconut oil in my roux to get that classic tropical gumbo flavor

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

eke out posted:

using a full cup of unrefined coconut oil in my roux to get that classic tropical gumbo flavor

Makes sense, coconut oil is healthy!

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

For convenience reasons I usually use olive oil. I know that's not considered an "authentic" choice for a gumbo roux but it doesn't make a discernable difference to the end product.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

drat I was hoping to try using bacon grease one of these days. Sucks to hear it doesn't work.

Klyith posted:

Any refined cooking oil is fine, pick whichever you like best. The main thing is you want to use a refined oil, not the ultra-fancy cold pressed whatever. It's the process of refining that gives most of the heat resistance.

Like, you can use a light cooking olive oil to fry or make a roux. But not the extra virgin.

I love how I read this post RIGHT as my dad tried to tell me to "just use the [extra virgin] olive oil, it's the same thing" and I tried to inform him that no it is not the same thing at all.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

drat I was hoping to try using bacon grease one of these days. Sucks to hear it doesn't work.

It works, it’s just less consistent. No reason for you not to try new stuff, give it a shot and see the difference. But I hate using homemade stock on experiments or inconsistent things. Since I stopped using bacon grease I’ve had 100% good results. Also I’ve strongly recommended this everywhere, but add the roux to rapidly boiling stock (not the other way around). Again, 100% good results using this method.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Phil Moscowitz posted:

It works, it’s just less consistent. No reason for you not to try new stuff, give it a shot and see the difference. But I hate using homemade stock on experiments or inconsistent things. Since I stopped using bacon grease I’ve had 100% good results.

I might try adding a small amount of it to some oil then. Like make it mostly oil for browning with just a hint of bacon for flavor.

Not this time since I don't have any bacon grease right now, but later.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Also I’ve strongly recommended this everywhere, but add the roux to rapidly boiling stock (not the other way around). Again, 100% good results using this method.

I'll have to give this a try, thanks!

EDIT: Wait do I add the veggies to the roux or the stock, or do I add them after pouring one into the other?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 31, 2022

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

EDIT: Wait do I add the veggies to the roux or the stock, or do I add them after pouring one into the other?

You can do either. I usually cook the onions and garlic in the roux, then add the pepper and celery for a bit, then add it to the stock by the spoonful, whisking it into the stock. But some people add the roux to the stock first, then add vegetables.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I called an audible, did 3 parts canola oil to 1 part unsalted butter I JUST WANTED TO TRY IT ONCE

10 minutes in and this poo poo already smells better than my standard roux

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
The best gumbo I ever made, I divided the trinity into roughly three portions and cooked the first third in neutral oil with the fond until it was very brown and practically liquefied, then the second third on top of that until it was just nicely softened, then the last third I added with the stock and the rest of the ingredients and let it simmer. This makes three levels of flavor and texture and color. I picked up this technique from some old Paul Prudhomme video where he was making jambalaya that was no doubt posted in this very thread.

I cooked the roux separately and can't remember at what stage I added it. I did some other stuff too, but I suspect my method of cooking the trinity was the most crucial component.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Where’s the gumbo I.M. Gei

E. Welp never mind lol

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 31, 2022

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Oops

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Hopefully the gumbo was ok

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I have yet to try it but I recently was given a cookbook that uses smothered okra for its gumbo.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I've made that before, never bothered to add it to gumbo tho. We used to eat it topped with a lil parmesan

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Huh. I've never heard of stewing it down that long. I love okra, slime and all, and I love okra and tomatoes, but I'm curious as to how the texture comes out after that long. I'll have to try it when the okra starts coming in.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I have yet to try it but I recently was given a cookbook that uses smothered okra for its gumbo.

this looks amazing

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Happy Good Friday

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

What, you didn't even boil in Sunny D?

https://twitter.com/irongrrlrock/status/1516304731987189762

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
One of my friends in BR added a bunch of halved oranges to their crawfish boil and it was pretty good but this is a bit much.

On a related note, I had crawfish at BB's in Houston last week. They were pretty good. They at least got the basics right, more than I can say for Ragin' Cajun.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

:prepop: I've had my eye on that one for a while. Good buy?

The smothered okra sounds really good but I like the parmesan topping idea more than the thought of putting it in gumbo.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Discussion Quorum posted:

One of my friends in BR added a bunch of halved oranges to their crawfish boil and it was pretty good but this is a bit much.

On a related note, I had crawfish at BB's in Houston last week. They were pretty good. They at least got the basics right, more than I can say for Ragin' Cajun.

The smothered okra sounds really good but I like the parmesan topping idea more than the thought of putting it in gumbo.

BB's is OK for crawfish, but the pro move here is to go for Viet-Cajun style. LA Crawfish and Crawfish & Noodles are probably the best known places for this style but there are a whole bunch in this city.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Yeah the Viet-Cajun style is good but sometimes I crave the regular old Louisiana style. Most of the recommendations I get on that are farther away than I want to drive after a big meal and a few beers.

I'll have to see if I can get my wife to give LA Crawfish another chance, she got a funky poboy from the one near us and declared them dead to her :v:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Discussion Quorum posted:

- I’ve done one recipe and it was good. That’s all I can vouch for, haha. The recipes for varieties of things I know look well put together.

The book is good physical quality, and good pictures/layout. It was a gift but I like it in the kitchen book stand.

- that sounds fantastic

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Where’s the gumbo I.M. Gei

Yeah so ABOUT THAT...

The roux. 2 cups of flour, 1 1/2 cups of canola oil, and 1/2 cup of butter.

I followed your suggestion to boil the stock in a separate pot and add the roux to it, setting aside a cupful of stock beforehand which I used to deglaze the roux pot before cooking up the trinity (along with a shitload of garlic).

I also followed your suggestion to cook the trinity in 3 stages. This is stage one.

Stage two added (with more garlic).

And stage three (plus more garlic).

Then added the stock.

I let this cook down by about 40% and then added the rice (cooked separately) and okra.

Let that cook for a little bit, and then I took the gumbo off the heat and added the seafood: 4 lbs of shrimp and 1 1/2 lbs of crawfish meat.

The finished product.

It was unbelievable! Cooking the trinity in 3 stages was a major pro tip! SO MUCH depth of flavor! Easily the best pot of gumbo I ever made! This is a 9-qt Le Creuset pot and it took us less than a week to eat the whole thing! I can't wait to make it again! SO GOOD!!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Mmm yeah that looks legit. I have the same pot so its very deja vu here.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Looks great, I'm glad my three stages tip worked out for you. I was blathering on about this at the bottle shop the other day when a friend mentioned he made gumbo but when he got to the part where he added potatoes I realized I was probably wasting my breath.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

It's dance recital season in Baton Rouge, which means I have no time to cook and no time to pick up food before any decent place closes, and y'all have made me want gumbo something horrible. :mad:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Make your own! Or drop by any of my friends, someone will be cooking something and they will feed anyone who turns up.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Yep, looks right. It’s summer now so not many gumbos will be cooked. But I have like 6 quarts frozen and a bunch of crawfish shells to make a stock with so, maybe seafood gumbo if we get a flash chill…

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Had a graduation party and made a big batch of jambalaya. I was busy hosting and prepping like 20 other things (including running a fish fry I never got pics of sadly). But, here's what I got. 5 gallons of Jambalaya, pretty much went exactly off of the Jambalaya Calculator spreadsheet / app.

Only got the aftermath before the 2nd wave of eating hit but it came out great.

That was for 80% of a 5g pot, ended up being 2 butchered chickens in there and stock made from them, about 5lb of sausage and 5lb of rice.

I think the calculator recipe works out well for consistency, but I definitely add more green onion and parsley when I make my smaller batch version, gotta remember that for the next time I break out the big guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

That Works posted:

Had a graduation party and made a big batch of jambalaya. I was busy hosting and prepping like 20 other things (including running a fish fry I never got pics of sadly). But, here's what I got. 5 gallons of Jambalaya, pretty much went exactly off of the Jambalaya Calculator spreadsheet / app.

Only got the aftermath before the 2nd wave of eating hit but it came out great.

That was for 80% of a 5g pot, ended up being 2 butchered chickens in there and stock made from them, about 5lb of sausage and 5lb of rice.

I think the calculator recipe works out well for consistency, but I definitely add more green onion and parsley when I make my smaller batch version, gotta remember that for the next time I break out the big guns.

That looks awesome! How was the seasoning? I find that many recipes overlook the fact that you’re dumping poo poo load of white rice in there, and you need to season accordingly. Especially if you use stock and not say broth.