Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Toto isn’t writing world-class emails using loving bash.

Toto uses LaTeX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Khablam posted:

Which is why they're "The Apple" of EVs. The general person thinks Apple have the best screens/batteries/cameras because Apple tells them so, despite the internals being 2-gen old Samsung/Sony OEM parts. They market their product like they're the only answer and the rest of the market just doesn't exist, and have hard anti-consumer lock-in practices.
This creates mindless militant fans who wax nonsense about "the ecosystem" but don't realise that outside of "the ecosystem" everything else works together with everything else.

Android fanboys really are just genuinely awful human beings.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Aware posted:

I pipe all the races through ffmpeg with an ascii filter so I can watch them in glorious 80x43p. It makes Max actually look good.

How do you post this and not with the accompanying video file?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

sportsgenius86 posted:

Imagine caring about any of this poo poo

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Jobbo_Fett posted:

How do you post this and not with the accompanying video file?

https://giant.gfycat.com/ExemplaryCanineHornedtoad.mp4

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

holy smokes :staredog:

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

lmao. close thread the season is over.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

MustardFacial posted:

If I wanted to go whole hog on a stupid decision I'd move to Spain or France or something where I didn't speak the language and it was too far to go back home.

Reported for doxxing

holy poo poo lol

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

your friend wicka posted:

Android fanboys really are just genuinely awful human beings.

A statement that could be applied to a fanboy of any consumer brand.

Except Lego. Lego is cool and good and the superior interlocking plastic brick manufacturer.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Phone posted:

when someone tells you "yeah, i love my m3, it's really great"

what car comes to mind?

the hands of Tony Montana and his hot sister pressed up against the steamed-up glass in the back of his BMW as his three-day coke bender reaches its conclusion

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Highlights of History: A look at moments from the past for upcoming Grands Prix

I know two things to be true of Formula 1 at the moment:

• A lot of new viewers have started watching the series since 2020 amid the wild popularity of Netflix's reality series Drive to Survive
  • Because of restrictions due to COVID 19, the 2020 and 2021 seasons haven't gone to all of the best, trademark circuits on the F1 calendar

As a way to kill some time before the next race weekend, and as a way to help new fans catch up on moments from the past ahead of these races, I'm trying to find some details and famous moments from these Grands Prix in history. Considering Formula 1 has 70 years of history as a series, there's plenty to mine.

Let me catch up with the first few races of the year. I think we can agree that no more should be said about the Saudi Arabian GP, plus its entire history is about 5 months old, so let me focus quickly instead on a highlight from the Bahrain GP history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTH87phrwEs

2014 Bahrain GP - Hamilton vs. Rosberg

Much like right now, a new type of cars (with the current V6 hybrid turbo engines) had been introduce for 2014, and similar to this year, the hope was racing would be better with them. That didn't prove itself in the first race of 2014, but in the second at Bahrain, we got a good taste of how the racing would get better in 2014...but between two teammates, Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg, who would then go on to define the first half of that V6 turbo hybrid era.

The other interesting note for Bahrain GP history is the cancellation of the 2011 Bahrain GP due to the Arab Spring protests, and then the potential for a boycott to have stopped the race in 2012 due to how the government responded to the protests. It's still an issue that is brought up sometimes regarding the Bahrain race, and good to remember amidst the Russian GP and Saudi Arabian GP issues of late.

But let's go to someplace with a bit more history - coming next week, the return to the Australian Grand Prix, which has been held since 1996 in Melbourne's Albert Park in the middle of the city.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHOyIGToAZc

1996 Australian GP start - Martin Brundle's massive crash

An interesting fact about the Australian GP is that it's traditionally been either the first race of the season (in the Melbourne era) or the final race of the season, in its 1985-1995 form at a street circuit in Adelaide. So that means either the Aussie GP has been the site of lots of surprises and attrition in Melbourne, or some incredibly high drama in Adelaide.

But the first Melbourne race, in 1996, also featured one of the current Formula 1 commentators cartwheeling into the gravel trap at the end of sector 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9AsyDRbNcA

We Wanted to Believe, and it was True

Meanwhile, for my money the biggest surprise in the Melbourne era has been the 2009 Australian GP, when we got Jenson Button winning the first race of the season on the way to taking quite possibly the most shocking World Championship in the modern era. Once again, this was when there was a rules change, but Button was driving for a team that shouldn't have even been on the grid, and when it was on the grid as Honda the preceding years, had been struggling a lot.

Of the Adelaide era, there's two years that really stand out to me: 1986 and 1994.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZFtIclOdYg

Both decided championships, but the 1986 race had more permutations, as three drivers came in with a chance to win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91JoW4mSiZo

1994 meanwhile was Schumacher versus Hill, a landmark moment in F1 history.

Any other moments I missed? Anything else you'd like to see from the history of F1? I'll try to keep these up ahead of races this season.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Here’s a heads up to the new people - don’t watch anything from the seventies if you don’t want to see people die in horrible ways on screen.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I got an iPhone 13 pro.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

harperdc posted:

Any other moments I missed? Anything else you'd like to see from the history of F1? I'll try to keep these up ahead of races this season.

1998 Belgian GP start

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R22nxVYLaBQ

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Kimi Raikkonen's tyre going "B-BAP B-BAP B-BAP B-BAP" then his suspension exploding at the 'ring if it's on the calendar.

I don't watch fraudula1 anymore

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

harperdc posted:

[

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6aYcxqF6bc

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

ilmucche posted:

Kimi Raikkonen's tyre going "B-BAP B-BAP B-BAP B-BAP" then his suspension exploding at the 'ring if it's on the calendar.

I don't watch fraudula1 anymore

even more sad than watching formula 1,

is posting in the formula 1 thread when you don't

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

boop the snoot posted:

even more sad than watching formula 1,

is posting in the formula 1 thread when you don't

:hmmyes:

ilmucche posted:

https://youtu.be/SVO_qMoB7xE

This was in the season where, for some stupid reasons, teams could refuel during pit stops but tires were supposed to last the entire length of the race :psyduck:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Yuji ide's Australian adventure was pretty good too

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

harperdc posted:

Highlights of History: A look at moments from the past for upcoming Grands Prix

I know two things to be true of Formula 1 at the moment:

• A lot of new viewers have started watching the series since 2020 amid the wild popularity of Netflix's reality series Drive to Survive
  • Because of restrictions due to COVID 19, the 2020 and 2021 seasons haven't gone to all of the best, trademark circuits on the F1 calendar

As a way to kill some time before the next race weekend, and as a way to help new fans catch up on moments from the past ahead of these races, I'm trying to find some details and famous moments from these Grands Prix in history. Considering Formula 1 has 70 years of history as a series, there's plenty to mine.

Let me catch up with the first few races of the year. I think we can agree that no more should be said about the Saudi Arabian GP, plus its entire history is about 5 months old, so let me focus quickly instead on a highlight from the Bahrain GP history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTH87phrwEs

2014 Bahrain GP - Hamilton vs. Rosberg

Much like right now, a new type of cars (with the current V6 hybrid turbo engines) had been introduce for 2014, and similar to this year, the hope was racing would be better with them. That didn't prove itself in the first race of 2014, but in the second at Bahrain, we got a good taste of how the racing would get better in 2014...but between two teammates, Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg, who would then go on to define the first half of that V6 turbo hybrid era.

The other interesting note for Bahrain GP history is the cancellation of the 2011 Bahrain GP due to the Arab Spring protests, and then the potential for a boycott to have stopped the race in 2012 due to how the government responded to the protests. It's still an issue that is brought up sometimes regarding the Bahrain race, and good to remember amidst the Russian GP and Saudi Arabian GP issues of late.

But let's go to someplace with a bit more history - coming next week, the return to the Australian Grand Prix, which has been held since 1996 in Melbourne's Albert Park in the middle of the city.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHOyIGToAZc

1996 Australian GP start - Martin Brundle's massive crash

An interesting fact about the Australian GP is that it's traditionally been either the first race of the season (in the Melbourne era) or the final race of the season, in its 1985-1995 form at a street circuit in Adelaide. So that means either the Aussie GP has been the site of lots of surprises and attrition in Melbourne, or some incredibly high drama in Adelaide.

But the first Melbourne race, in 1996, also featured one of the current Formula 1 commentators cartwheeling into the gravel trap at the end of sector 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9AsyDRbNcA

We Wanted to Believe, and it was True

Meanwhile, for my money the biggest surprise in the Melbourne era has been the 2009 Australian GP, when we got Jenson Button winning the first race of the season on the way to taking quite possibly the most shocking World Championship in the modern era. Once again, this was when there was a rules change, but Button was driving for a team that shouldn't have even been on the grid, and when it was on the grid as Honda the preceding years, had been struggling a lot.

Of the Adelaide era, there's two years that really stand out to me: 1986 and 1994.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZFtIclOdYg

Both decided championships, but the 1986 race had more permutations, as three drivers came in with a chance to win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91JoW4mSiZo

1994 meanwhile was Schumacher versus Hill, a landmark moment in F1 history.

didn’t read

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Gigi Galli posted:

The last time I did a track day at Pocono there was a dude there with a martini livery wrapped Tesla that replaced the martini logo with “teslatini”. It was still electric and all he did was the rolling drag racing. He had it plugged in to one of the regular outlets in the paddock between runs, though I’m pretty sure he only managed 2 or 3. Trailered in and out.

Neat concept and certainly unique anyway. He wasn’t faster than the straight piped m3’s.

That’s my Tesla story.

Were you attending one of the SlipStream events? I'm thinking of taking the RS3 to one this summer.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

I appreciate the effort harperdc but I think a more helpful thing to do to amerikkkans who started watching Formula One in 2020 because of Netflix would be to repeatedly call them slurs until they leave

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

:krad:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Theophany posted:

the hands of Tony Montana and his hot sister pressed up against the steamed-up glass in the back of his BMW as his three-day coke bender reaches its conclusion

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Theophany posted:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I’m legitimately new to F1 why is Get in there Lewis! such a meme?

(Honestly a F1 Beginner’s Guide head wouldn’t be a bad idea considering how many new folks are watching)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Whenever Lewis won his race director (Bono - Pete Bonnington) would say "get in there Lewis" over the radio.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Kirios posted:

(Honestly a F1 Beginner’s Guide head wouldn’t be a bad idea considering how many new folks are watching)

its not something you can be taught through an internet message board

you have to experience enlightenment to truly know what enlightenment is.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I appreciate the effort harperdc but I think a more helpful thing to do to amerikkkans who started watching Formula One in 2020 because of Netflix would be to repeatedly call them slurs until they leave

i'm a 2016 american and i say kill em all. new season of dts will be in like march, gently caress off until then.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Kirios posted:

Because he loving sucks OP.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Kirios posted:

Everytime Lewis get on pole or wins his engineer says "get in there lewis" and between 2014 and 2021 Lewis won something like 80 races so it got said a lot.

Sir Lewis Carl Davdison Larbalestier Hamilton has won at least one race in every formula one season he has completed, even when he was driving a completely dogshit McLaren.

a pipe smoking dog fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 2, 2022

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Everytime Lewis get on pole or wins his engineer says "get in there lewis" and between 2014 and 2021 Lewis won something like 80 races so it got said a lot.

Sir Lewis Carl Davdison Larbalestier Hamilton has won at least one race in every formula one season he has completed, even when he was driving a completely dogshit McLaren.

I wonder if he’ll win a race this year. Unless merc really steps up it’d take quite a bit of fuckery.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

He’ll already got 3rd in a poo poo midfield car

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

The Big Jesus posted:

I wonder if he’ll win a race this year. Unless merc really steps up it’d take quite a bit of fuckery.

Yeah I kind of feel like this year will finally break the streak.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Lewis winning Australia confirmed

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
The Art of Racing in the Rain is the best F1 film because it is about a dog.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

When are you all gonna figure out lewis is being actively sabotaged by the fia and Netflix

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Kirios posted:

Here is Shift + F1’s pre-season primer: https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/shift-f1-a-formula-1-podcast/id1091772717?i=1000553412687

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

ethanol posted:

He’ll already got 3rd in a poo poo midfield car

Yeah but it took multiple retirements ahead of him for that to even happen. I think unless both the Ferrari and both the Red Bull go out he’s not going to have a shot at first.

Current odds for constructors champ are
Ferrari -115
Red Bull +125
Mercedes +600
McLaren +15000
Alpine +25000
And so forth