Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
more and more people are saying this
This poll is closed.
they're coming up to me 57 15.53%
with tears in their eyes and 85 23.16%
they're saying 59 16.08%
SIR! we want thread! 134 36.51%
straight out of central casting 32 8.72%
Total: 202 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Remember the crazy drunk blonde lady who testified with Rudy Giuliani in Michigan about the defective voting machines in Detroit? She was just disqualified as a candidate running for office in Macomb County.

https://twitter.com/sandi_fish/status/1510239710248988675

Deadline Detroit posted:

Carone was told she submitted a faulty affidavit attesting that she had no outstanding campaign finance issues. She has been crossed off Macomb County's online election list for the August primary and labeled as "disqualified." Macomb County Clerk Anthony Forlini alerted Carone to the disqualification.

She told the News the ruling was "ridiculous."

The News reports:

Carone said Friday she's lawyering up to fight the disqualification, claiming Macomb County staffers advised her to sign the affidavit because it likely wouldn't be submitted to the Michigan Bureau of Elections until the end of the week, after she'd resolved her campaign finance issues.

The timing is impeccable. Terinoip is holding a rally in Macomb County today (which despite lack of permits, parking, facilities, topsoil, etc, is still go) and I'm sure Carone was anticipating an endorsement from Tiermp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

Elephanthead posted:

you know it’s just an intel with limited drivers that force you to buy authorized accessories right?

it's an M1 Pro mac, and yes the ecosystem is a little disturbing

however I've got two Logitech mice, two random non-Apple glowing keyboards, and two non-Apple monitors hooked up right now, and everything works fine.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.
Also I got Postgresql working the other day, and it's native ARM, which is pretty cool

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no

Plinkey posted:

apple macs for doing normal programming stuff blow away every pc that i've ever used, from multi-monitor support to just working with usb hubs/docks.

no one has a better trackpad than macbook pros

is that why trying to learn python on windows 10 causes me to burst out in tears? :thunk:

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Man Musk posted:

I just trumped,, just a little bit

if this is a Cat Stevens reference, then :golfclap:

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I’m watching you haters and losers.
I know that you can’t help that you were born hosed up. it’s sad really

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

cold pizza for breakfast with coffee

president!!

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

802.11weed posted:

is that why trying to learn python on windows 10 causes me to burst out in tears? :thunk:

There's a Python class on Coursera taught by two incredibly boring professors from Rice University, it's pretty good and representative of what a college CS person would experience, but anyway it uses a sort of baby IDE that works via the browser and it's pretty good, at least for just fooling around and experimenting while learning the language.

I urge you to resist the temptation to which many people learning programming or a new programming language succumb, which is to decide "maybe I'll make my own version of Facebook or Balder's Gate to learn how this all works"

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/lara_putnam/status/1510247241159786497

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

802.11weed posted:

just install wsl

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

emfive posted:

Also I got Postgresql

gross

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

hanging out with my cat

drinking coffee

posting about the prez

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

lmao

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

emfive posted:

There's a Python class on Coursera taught by two incredibly boring professors from Rice University, it's pretty good and representative of what a college CS person would experience, but anyway it uses a sort of baby IDE that works via the browser and it's pretty good, at least for just fooling around and experimenting while learning the language.

I urge you to resist the temptation to which many people learning programming or a new programming language succumb, which is to decide "maybe I'll make my own version of Facebook or Balder's Gate to learn how this all works"

encourgaing learning to code is encouraging self harm namaste

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan

Plinkey posted:

just install wsl

yeah it’s pretty good

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Man Musk posted:

I just trumped,, just a little bit

If you need to go clean up or something we'll cover for you till you get back

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Remember the crazy drunk blonde lady who testified with Rudy Giuliani in Michigan about the defective voting machines in Detroit? She was just disqualified as a candidate running for office in Macomb County.

https://twitter.com/sandi_fish/status/1510239710248988675

The timing is impeccable. Terinoip is holding a rally in Macomb County today (which despite lack of permits, parking, facilities, topsoil, etc, is still go) and I'm sure Carone was anticipating an endorsement from Tiermp

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

emfive posted:

just start with an AB decision tree AI chess program

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

lmao the tongue thing is part of the song vocals. I thought they were just showing off

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

DrPossum posted:

encourgaing learning to code is encouraging self harm namaste

As a rule I have for quite some time explicitly and strenuously discouraged people from learning to program computers unless they already know that they like it. That includes literally classrooms full of children.

I can't imagine a normal person putting up with the constant frustration and irritation.

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no

emfive posted:

i was reading Think Python and i couldnt wrap my head around functions lol i dont think im smart enough

maybe that Coursera thing would work better? i managed to learn photoshop, surely i can figure out something 1000x more complicated

oh who am i kidding i’ll stick to manual labor and die of back pain at 45

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

pip install pytrump

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

this is the look Ralphy gives his teacher when he turns in his theme about getting the BB gun in a Christmas story

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Postgresql is superior to MySQL in many ways. It used to be a lot more superior, such that comparisons were mostly a waste of time, but now, though MySQL has gotten better, it's still worse.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan

*bonk*

(I CAN FIX HER)

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

instead of coding go outside?

bebop esq
Apr 17, 2006

hi boys

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

UFOTacoMan posted:

this is the look Ralphy gives his teacher when he turns in his theme about getting the BB gun in a Christmas story

Yeah what she said just before that was about on the level of a child’s argument to get a toy for Christmas, too.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

CODChimera posted:

gently caress you

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

emfive posted:

Postgresql is superior to MySQL in many ways. It used to be a lot more superior, such that comparisons were mostly a waste of time, but now, though MySQL has gotten better, it's still worse.

we are mostly an mssql shop

with some solr, mongo and other document stuff for weird caching cases

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

SELECT *

FROM trump_db AS t

WHERE t.donor_value > 0
AND t.date > 2000

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Plinkey posted:

we are mostly an mssql shop

with some solr, mongo and other document stuff for weird caching cases

I have fond memories of SQL Server, I admit.

One cool trick that somebody probably HATES is the "INNER LOOP JOIN" thing, which can make a massive difference in query performance given some schemas and situations (it avoids hash joins when you know they're not necessary). Postgresql doesn't have an equivalent.

Buddykins
Feb 12, 2011

stu pid FUCK asshole shit gizzard
SQL serve deez nuts lol

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

CODChimera posted:

sometimes I go to a really nice hipster coffee+beer+taco place in Austin and sit outside and work

now that I have an Apple product I'll probably get free stuff and unknown social rewards

Buddykins
Feb 12, 2011

stu pid FUCK asshole shit gizzard
who's coming to my stupid loving state for wrestlemania

bebop esq
Apr 17, 2006

hi boys

Buddykins posted:

i am not

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no

emfive posted:

As a rule I have for quite some time explicitly and strenuously discouraged people from learning to program computers unless they already know that they like it. That includes literally classrooms full of children.

I can't imagine a normal person putting up with the constant frustration and irritation.

i hate everything when starting out so it’s hard to say if i’d ever like this junk

maybe it’s bc i never had a good teacher. or maybe i’m a bad student

every career i look into is either No Jobs or Too Hard or So Awful I Would Rather Die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Buddykins posted:

i will be watching it tomorrow night, drunk as gently caress and hooting and hollarin

and hate myself at like 8 am monday morning