Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Hipster Occultist posted:

And yeah, gently caress that last mission was tough. I was only able to clear it by running the left group over to the right as soon as the mission started, and even then it almost went tits up. Without Kylie to hack an EMP immune Destron I dunno what I would have did.

Yeah I would have got it on 2nd try but I completely exhausted Kylie, I literally got the "reboot" achievement from there. I didn't even know about it, but I put the mastery on her after that :regd09: That 2nd try was almost heartbreaking like a WoW boss fight wipe at 0,1%. Good thing I kept on trying even though it was a bit late.

Bolivar fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Dec 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Smiling Knight posted:

Just completed it as well. Clarification: was Sanson assigned to kill Hanson? If so, why — Ben seemed to be giving the latter a generous retirement plan, and I didn’t read that as fake.

I don't think so, I think Ben played a sick joke at Sanson's expense by giving away the money he was planning to steal. Sanson wanted to kill Hanson out of sheer greed, but then got the money because Hanson valued his friendship more than the cash, so I guess he has to live with the fact he was considering the murder of his best friend.

Bolivar posted:

Wasn't excepting the final mission to be tough :yarg: Spent some 5,5 hours on it yesterday, 2nd try was about 1k in damage from successful and ultimately wiped, 4th try was almost as frustrating but ultimately a success :circlefap: I suck big time with those destrons, every. single. time. The rest wasn't bad, even if they came all at once :regd09: (playing on hard, no checkpoints).
Any of you guys did that in "cruel and challenge mode" for the achievement? (well the achievement text says "above the cruel" but I suppose it's cruel. 0,1% for those inclined :discourse:
I think I still want to do those new "ordinary missions", haven't played ordinary ones in a while since there was so much content just from scenarios and violent cases.

Also, yesterday's session took Troubleshooter to #1 in "hours played" for me on Steam (230 hrs) past Pathfinder: Kingmaker. There's a few multiplayer games like WoW and Overwatch that I've spent (way) more hours on, but as a single-player, not so sure...especially since I very rarely play anything twice. Baldur's Gate 2 might have been around there back in the days since it was 2-3 playthroughs and the expansion.

Yeah, TS is one of my most played games by a large margin, definitely one of my all time favorites.

I did manage to beat the last mission on Cruel + Challenge, but it was a tough one. Definitely way tougher than the other scenario missions and closer to the two recent Violent cases (I still have to beat 54V, which I guess is set after this one in the timeline). Kylie was fundamental for keeping the Destrons under control while the team repositioned to fight them, Alisa, Albus, Irene and Leton tanked (only the latter two survived) while Bianca, Sion, Gold Tongue and Leton brought in the damage. It was close enough to be a nail biter.

Anyone played the Ordinary cases? Part of me wants to wait for the Misty DLC so I can use her in those for variety's sake.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

ZearothK posted:

I did manage to beat the last mission on Cruel + Challenge, but it was a tough one.

Grats! I think I'll give it a try at some point, but if it doesn't come with a "proper try" then so be it, not going to start min-maxing my masteries for it. The only mission I've tried on "cruel + challenge" was the final mission of the original season 1, and that was basically just because I wanted the achievement and I cheesed it anyway as my guys were mostly level 54 with lvl50 legendaries :tipshat:

Bolivar fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Dec 9, 2021

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Bolivar posted:

Grats! I think I'll give it a try at some point, but if it doesn't come with a "proper try" then so be it, not going to start min-maxing my masteries for it. The only mission I've tried on "cruel + challenge" was the final mission of the original season 1, and that was basically just because I wanted the achievement and I cheesed it anyway as my guys were mostly level 54 with lvl50 legendaries :tipshat:

Yeah, my party is strong but not super optimized to be honest, I got my rear end kicked the one time I tried 54V. Having people who can deal with the crowds with minimal losses so you can isolate and beat down the Destrons with high damage units is probably the most important part of the final stage. For the first part it was Giselle with a trapper build, Hacker Kylie, Barbarian Alisa and Berserker Albus, plus Second Heart Hellgate Anne. For the Destrons it was Kylie hacking to keep them out of actions, with Sion, Leton, Bianca and Golden Tongue bringing the raw damage to get through their special armor.

TS can be really tough, but I don't think the game is ever unfair.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

ZearothK posted:

Anyone played the Ordinary cases? Part of me wants to wait for the Misty DLC so I can use her in those for variety's sake.

Yeah, they were kinda a cakewalk, especially compared to that last story mission. The Crabmint one was just my Bianca cleaning up and then waiting like 3 turns for the last burrowed sumbitch to resurface. :argh:

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

ZearothK posted:

I don't think so, I think Ben played a sick joke at Sanson's expense by giving away the money he was planning to steal. Sanson wanted to kill Hanson out of sheer greed, but then got the money because Hanson valued his friendship more than the cash, so I guess he has to live with the fact he was considering the murder of his best friend.

Yeah, TS is one of my most played games by a large margin, definitely one of my all time favorites.

I did manage to beat the last mission on Cruel + Challenge, but it was a tough one. Definitely way tougher than the other scenario missions and closer to the two recent Violent cases (I still have to beat 54V, which I guess is set after this one in the timeline). Kylie was fundamental for keeping the Destrons under control while the team repositioned to fight them, Alisa, Albus, Irene and Leton tanked (only the latter two survived) while Bianca, Sion, Gold Tongue and Leton brought in the damage. It was close enough to be a nail biter.

Oh I think I was confused, I thought Sanson received the big paycheck. Was tired after the mission!

V54 takes place before the final scenario mission.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

ZearothK posted:

I just did the first one (48) and really no reason to pay too much attention to them (I'd expect the 51 to be similar) as they're not something ambitious game design-wise but just something to balance the DLC a bit, so that not everything is scenario/VC unless the player wants to. But oh hey if one of my characters need a legendary axe then I've got that sorted...probably not a rogue weapon either :thunk: And loads of other crap loot to salvage so I got my first +9 weapon too (grats Heixing, he took a manly 20k+ damage in the successful attempt of the final scenario so I shuffled him with some more defensive stats and AP :lando: )

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

ZearothK posted:

Yeah, my party is strong but not super optimized to be honest, I got my rear end kicked the one time I tried 54V. Having people who can deal with the crowds with minimal losses so you can isolate and beat down the Destrons with high damage units is probably the most important part of the final stage. For the first part it was Giselle with a trapper build, Hacker Kylie, Barbarian Alisa and Berserker Albus, plus Second Heart Hellgate Anne. For the Destrons it was Kylie hacking to keep them out of actions, with Sion, Leton, Bianca and Golden Tongue bringing the raw damage to get through their special armor.

TS can be really tough, but I don't think the game is ever unfair.

Yey I got the "mudbath" now too :chord: Something like 7th try (with the cruel+CM) or thereabouts. Nice that the gear that I've got was put into proper use since it was reaaaally borderline doable for me (without going deep into masteries), it was just Heixing, Kylie, Anne and Irene who survived to even fight the 2 destrons (which funnily enough, felt less OP than in lesser difficulties but I suppose I had learned something at least along the way :regd09: ).

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Frustrating how the Barbarian resurrection skill doesn’t quite work. It revives Alisa if she dies with a Rage status buff, but she gains rage when attacks, and loses it when she attacks, so the cycle is either Alisa is attacked -> gains rage -> expends rage on responsive attack -> can be KO’d or Alisa is attacked -> has no rage -> ko’d.

Ah well, can always play the Immortality lottery with random buff on kill mastery.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Smiling Knight posted:

Frustrating how the Barbarian resurrection skill doesn’t quite work. It revives Alisa if she dies with a Rage status buff, but she gains rage when attacks, and loses it when she attacks, so the cycle is either Alisa is attacked -> gains rage -> expends rage on responsive attack -> can be KO’d or Alisa is attacked -> has no rage -> ko’d.

Ah well, can always play the Immortality lottery with random buff on kill mastery.

That mastery works better with a Rampage build on Alisa, as you can guarantee that she will be pissed off enough to come back with immortaility.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

ZearothK posted:

That mastery works better with a Rampage build on Alisa, as you can guarantee that she will be pissed off enough to come back with immortaility.

Oh, didn’t realize that counted, will give it a shot. Would love to reliably send her in, do some damage and draw a bunch of attention, then use the revive + immortality turn to extract her from danger and let her huff some of Ray’s paint cans.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I stop being lazy and finally got around to finishing the last story mission. Disappointed I didn't got in before the hotfix making it easier.

Its funny coming out of this dlc because going in i was excited for the lesbian power couple and they were the highlight but also Hanson managed to become my favorite dude character in the game, even more than the guys on our team. Guy is such a sweetie despite being a broken killer.
Low key hopes he somehow ends up being a party member in Banished Children. But that is unlikely.

Giselle is so cool... Can't believe there are people who dislike her... bad taste havers out there in the world.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 20, 2022

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Smiling Knight posted:

Oh, didn’t realize that counted, will give it a shot. Would love to reliably send her in, do some damage and draw a bunch of attention, then use the revive + immortality turn to extract her from danger and let her huff some of Ray’s paint cans.

It needs a rage-type buff, not the Rage buff specifically. So any buff that is categorized as rage. Rampage or whatever it's called counts, but so does Encourage with the mastery set that turns it into a rage buff. Frankly all of her skills assume that she has a rage buff 100% of the time, not just that one.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Some information from devs from a Steam post

quote:

We are now preparing for an update that had been delayed due to the first DLC development. And after this update is completed, the development team will develop the second DLC. I can guarantee this.

Through Steam's achievement service, we can guess the percentage of users who played the game to the end of the first DLC. Based on speculation related to the scenario, the ratio is less than 5% even if we think aggressively. That's why the development team considers it most important to make future DLCs universally accessible to anyone. In the end, DLC's biggest purpose will be a continuous story with a new colleague. It took exactly one year to complete the development of the first DLC. When developing the second DLC, we have to shorten this period by using all methods. This is also a problem directly related to the survival of the development team.

The reason why I'm telling this story is that considering the development team's development ability, it seems impossible to prepare additional new modes in addition to new stories and new characters.

They were originally replying to someone about a game mode for end-game players but anyway. Kind of confirms what I've been thinking too. Yeah, I'd like a 2nd DLC in the same vein as the first one, but it's also very obvious from Steam achievement percentages that only a very small portion of people actually finish the whole content (even scenario content). That percent is now 1,2% (or let's say 1,5% if you account for people who have actually started the game) and it's not like it grows by a lot (mid-DLC missions are about 3-4% and they've been out for a long time).
So the 2nd DLC mission content is intended for pretty much anyone at some stage of the game (but not really early-game I suppose). Of course, being the wholesome guys that they are, I'm sure they will include something for "end-game players" too, and the scenario content should be interesting enough just doing the story. But I suppose personally, my main interest is in Troubleshooter 2 ("banished children").
(and I'm guessing the part about "update that had been delayed due to first DLC" is about some tweaking to game systems etc.)

Also (this is from about a week ago actually) they nerfed the final scenario mission, i.e. replaced the enhanced Schwarz destrons with some lesser destrons :regd09:

Bolivar fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jan 1, 2022

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
The DLc has been in development for a long time is definitely part of it.

Also missions in TS tend to take a very long time until you get enough experience with them, and due to how wide the powerband is due to the mastery system enemies just continue to get more and more annoying to the point it kind of loses some of the fun for me.

Also, farming legendary gear and pets is butts.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
There's definitely a kind of arms race between the players getting more powerful and the enemies being made even more annoying so that they continue to be a threat, and to be honest I don't think it's entirely necessary. Sure there are people out there who would be bored without a new challenge every time, but being strong is pretty fun too, and the story's usually good enough to keep you invested anyway. And finding new masteries from new non-annoying enemies to become even more uselessly strong would be fun in its own right.

Which is to say that while I do enjoy the new challenge maps, I'm not really sure keeping the veteran, maxed-out players on their toes is really the best use of their limited developer time.

MetricUnit
Jan 2, 2005
When does the difficulty kick up?

I picked up the game over the weekend and just got my fourth party member. I'm playing on hard and most of the time I'm just throwing my party into the open pressing the shoot bad guy button as fast as I can to get through trash encounters. Enemies seem to never land a hit and if they do get lucky a potion is all it takes to get back to the killing.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

MetricUnit posted:

When does the difficulty kick up?

I picked up the game over the weekend and just got my fourth party member. I'm playing on hard and most of the time I'm just throwing my party into the open pressing the shoot bad guy button as fast as I can to get through trash encounters. Enemies seem to never land a hit and if they do get lucky a potion is all it takes to get back to the killing.

First, max out the difficulty. Maybe turn on permanent challenge mode too.

Are you doing the Violent Cases? If so, are they equally easy?

I would say that the main story missions ramp up once you start facing (minor spoiler for later enemy organization) the White Tiger gang, which coincides with the Spoonists getting some new toys as well.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

Yeah, White Tigers are absolutely where some of the enemy builds and missions became a pain in the rear end. To be fair I also didn't grind out enough to find all the masteries to make full builds for everyone because the amount of time and checking guides that required seemed a bit much.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?
I didn’t grind out masteries until postgame either and don’t feel like any of the ones I went back to pick up would have made a huge difference with the exception of the two from Sion’s route in Scent of the Past. But I did play online which gives frequent drop rate boosts and after getting a crew of 3 or 4 I defaulted to hard challenge high risk high reward with the increased masteries company focus, lowering the difficulty as needed.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
reading the steam forum for troubleshooter is funny because people are trying to point out romantic moments. folks keep coming in and going "this feels tin foil hat" and then i nod my head and agree as an observer, because people keep trying to find new het stuff instead of pointing out the obvious gay ones lmao

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 21, 2022

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I literally can't think of a single character in this game who might possibly be straight.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
kylie is like... the only one who comes close because i can't think of any ladies she has like a vibe with besides giselle and that is more of a "wow you could make some attractive art of these two ladies glaring at each other"

but i mean just look at her, no way she is straight.
actually i wonder how she will interact with the new party member since hacker/gamer has some potential

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ZearothK posted:

I literally can't think of a single character in this game who might possibly be straight.

You could construct an Albus/Giselle relationship or an Albus/Irene relationship out of what's there pretty easily and Kylie has like 3 possible heterosexual relationships. Ray has some lines about how she thinks Albus is cute and god knows people have launched ships on a lot less than that.

There's definitely more gay relationship hinting than straight, though.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Kanos posted:

You could construct an Albus/Giselle relationship or an Albus/Irene relationship out of what's there pretty easily and Kylie has like 3 possible heterosexual relationships. Ray has some lines about how she thinks Albus is cute and god knows people have launched ships on a lot less than that.

There's definitely more gay relationship hinting than straight, though.

who is the third for kylie? there is kylie and heixing, which i do get even if i am not a supporter. and then kylie and ryo which puzzles me.

e: tbc i wasn't saying there isn't like any plausible straight pairings (though albus/giselle is an attack on my person). its just people were throwing stuff out things like bibi and albus (???) before even mentioning the gay stuff. which is why i said new stuff

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 21, 2022

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Office romance is never a good idea, try to keep it professional people.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Snooze Cruise posted:

who is the third for kylie? there is kylie and heixing, which i do get even if i am not a supporter. and then kylie and ryo which puzzles me.

e: tbc i wasn't saying there isn't like any plausible straight pairings (though albus/giselle is an attack on my person). its just people were throwing stuff out things like bibi and albus (???) before even mentioning the gay stuff. which is why i said new stuff

I mean, it is pretty clear Albus has a crush on Bianca but also Alisa and Bibi are the most blatant couple in the game.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

ZearothK posted:

I mean, it is pretty clear Albus has a crush on Bianca but also Alisa and Bibi are the most blatant couple in the game.

oh yeah totally. they were saying it was coming from bibi's side as well, which is what was baffling considering the second half of your post.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Oh huh, I thought Albus had a thing for Alisa, since I thought there were a few lines where she notices Albus staring at her.

Also when I saw Bibi I got it confused with Kylie's drone Vivi, and I got really confused about where shippers were taking things.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

kylie is like... the only one who comes close because i can't think of any ladies she has like a vibe with besides giselle and that is more of a "wow you could make some attractive art of these two ladies glaring at each other"

but i mean just look at her, no way she is straight.
actually i wonder how she will interact with the new party member since hacker/gamer has some potential

I like the small stuff with Kylie and Ray towards the end of the game. Feels like something that will get some play in a sequel.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Snooze Cruise posted:

oh yeah totally. they were saying it was coming from bibi's side as well, which is what was baffling considering the second half of your post.

If you're extremely anime-brained I can see interpreting Bianca's behavior towards Albus as stereotypically "it's not like I *like* you or anything" tsundere. I don't agree with it at all because Bianca and Alisa are about as blatant as you can possibly get without having an on screen wedding, but I can actually understand where some people come up with that idea.

I think a fair amount of it is just there's a lot of people who automatically look for het relationships before they look for gay ones.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Kanos posted:

I think a fair amount of it is just there's a lot of people who automatically look for het relationships before they look for gay ones.

Oh yeah totally. Also its easier to tip the scales for het stuff for people to take it as a possibility.
Its just funny to me in this case.

but speaking of the game being gay...
does anyone else feel like giselle and jane wearing each other's clothes the morning after giselle randomly shows up at the night and sleeps over?

its a different number of buttons from the one giselle wears earlier in the game, but i can't shake the feeling, my spidey sense is tingling.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Theres no way thats not the same shirt

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Control Volume posted:

Theres no way thats not the same shirt

it can't because of the buttons, but def both feel like giselle shirts. and the yellow one seems like something jane would wear more.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 23, 2022

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think bianca is just incredibly sick of guys trying to hit on her while she is clearly with her gf. that's how she categorized albus when they first met due to all the blushing and stammering he did at the beginning of the game and the impression stuck.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

https://mobile.twitter.com/RyuBlitz1/status/1482603837529915393

There’s allegedly a new update in a week or so. It introduces a new mechanic :)

Apparently it’s called something like Joint Training

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
in the mission where you rescue kylie and can then choose to either repair the fences or retreat, if you approach kylie with irene specifically you are locked into repair. once again, she has four of the same option.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I think the only time Irene can actually choose anything but the CORRECT option is during her certification mission. A part of me is still laughing that there are poor bastards who failed their TS exam because they had the audacity to choose an option that involved fighting Giselle and Alisa.

Anyways, Joint Training is supposed to be the MP mode and I'll probably play it like two or three times with a homie who's as crazy about this game as me and then we'll stop being friends because there's only so much Witch Hellgate bullshit we can take in a lifetime.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Do they have any kinda notes on how it’s supposed to work? Does it use your existing corporation cuz I’ll be mad if I’m locked out of trying it since mine is offline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I don't even know why they let you choose online/offline. AFAIK you can play an online corp just fine even if you don't have a connection to the internet, you just can't use the online stuff like shooter street.