Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Floppychop posted:

A head/helmet or even a whole knocked out player would be fine in my book. But yeah, feels like they're sideline staff or cheerleaders

Might I refer you to Goblins, Snotlings, and Necromantic horror?

I guess it feels to me like it tips the scale too hard and kind of waters down the silly gimmick teams? Like if everyone's crazy and silly then no one is.

They said the pigs are 20k as well. When a team has solid other positionals then a cheap dump player to hit 11 players means more of the heavy lifters. eg: I mainly play Skaven and if I had something like a giant rat that was 20k but otherwise garbage they'd be in every starting roster to afford more Gutter Runners and rerolls.

that makes no sense considering you can just start with four gutter runners already in BB2020

i really think you're just kind of complaining because some arbitrary and invisible line has been tripped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Funzo posted:

Some friends and I were looking at getting in to Warcry. I'm thinking of starting up with a Soulblight Gravelord squad, since I guess I can use a bunch of the Cursed City models. It looks like GW put their unit cards online, so is there anything else I need aside from the core rule book? I really don't want to shell out for the big starter box.

I've been preparing for it recently. At minimum you will need the core book, (and a way to make copies of a few pages possibly in cardstock..) the 2021 Champions book, and whatever of the mass faction books you would like. 30 by 22 inch battlefield. At least 3 different colored 6 packs of 6 sided dice too. The Bladeborn game at Barnes n Nobel is a legit way to get a leg up though as is pretty much any of the 50 dollar (ish because GW loves price hikes..) AoS or Underworlds starter sets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWyKqZR7R48 this video shows how the newest AoS one is pretty much gonna give you a nice starting suite for it.

The previous AoS starter is possibly better if you would rather do Spookies and that group of Siggies. (40 bux us msrp and all the figs got reused as Underworlds bands in the current 2p starter and in both Dreadfane forms. I like those minis...
)

If you want to be super cheap GW has a handful of faction stats up on their site but not all of them and if you like nice cards there is a really good web program that can make them. Because DO NOT WASTE MONEY ON THE CARD PACKS. 2021 Champions has the newest points values and those packs don't even have all of the models and factions anyhow.

https://hennirocks.github.io/warcry-card-creator/index.html (This thing owns. Can even use your own pictures and have your own dudes you painted on your cards if you like.)

For Underworlds folks those warbands are around 400-600 points of a full Warcry 1000 point force though they don't gain advancements and the like in campaign play so basically just use them as generics of their faction unless you really like them as Ally models for whatever they do. (Like Thundrik is much better as he is than what model type he is going by card and stats for example. But he loses out on advancement but like other UW minis he avoids injury rolls. So you have options.)

I've wrote up two forces so far. A Sigmar group and a Kharadron became the Dorfs are cool and a store had the older Warcry
Starter for them which is 65 bucks for around 90 bucks of models. I'm using most of the said starter and a few of the Thundrik models. Its mostly the former.

If the newest AoS Partworks magazine comes stateside/goes beyond test issues in the UK that will be a fantastic way to get Warcry forces too. Its why I am currently just passing on the 3rd ed AoS starter that video uses. (I just got singles on ebay for the Knight Arcanum and the Kruelboy Wizard because they are both rad models. Both can just be Ally selections for now though I haven't decided yet what my Destruction force will be. I really only have a couple UW warbands for that and im cheap so I have to debate if I want a Start Collecting box or not.)

Thats the thing. These "Funsize" GW games are better overall than the big tent pole ones at this point plus are way cheaper and more engaging. Painting 3-15 minis for UW and Warcry as a single force? Thats doable. A full 2k point ITC tourney 40k or AoS force? No. And you can then buy multiple factions and try different schemes and teams which is also fun.

Its how they get ya really. :doom: But I don't really mind it as much because it lets me have a bunch of minis that don't take up a ton of space and can be played in quick peppy games. :unsmith:

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 29, 2022

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

That's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Thanks!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Is it just me, or are the Tau ships in AI not to scale with Imperium and Ork ships? I can't see how any little blue peeps would fit in these things.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
The Tau Air Caste has always been portrayed as being extremely thin

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Squibsy posted:

The Tau Air Caste has always been portrayed as being extremely thin

Do they lay down to fly?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

Is it just me, or are the Tau ships in AI not to scale with Imperium and Ork ships? I can't see how any little blue peeps would fit in these things.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Do they lay down to fly?

I mean, it's not out of the question. After all, hang gliders are flown "laying down".

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team

Do they lay down to fly?

In the Manta, the pilots are modeled in a sort of reclined seat. So... yes?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
You're comparing a high speed fighter to a heavy fighter / light bomber. Compare the Barracudas to the Xiphons or Nightwings and they're more the size you're expecting.

Here's a good comparison between a real world light fighter and a heavy fighter:

(From https://www.defencexp.com/fighter-jets-light-vs-heavy/)

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 29, 2022

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Yeah, I suppose. But it's also extremely flat, and if you just look at the cockpits alone, it's way different.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
This monkey may have ended up as the most unsettling looking model I've ever painted

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Yeah, I suppose. But it's also extremely flat, and if you just look at the cockpits alone, it's way different.

It's like comparing an IPhone with a 3310. They both make phone calls but only one can double as a personal defense weapon and still be used to call an ambulance afterwards.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
If I would like to start playing necromunda, what rulebooks do I need?

Like ok I bet there's a Rulebook, but is there a ton of supplements and specific books for each gang like kill team?

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 31, 2022

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Like ok I bet there's a Rulebook, but is there a ton of supplements and specific books for each gang like kill team?

Each gang has a book for them. You don't really need any of the other supplements, though.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Spanish Manlove posted:

Book of the Outcast has some good generic campaign stuff in it like psi-powers for everyone and an updated trading post master list

but yeah in general each gang has a book, and Gangs of the Underhive previously was the one that had all the gangs in it before it was superseded by said gang books

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
You sit patiently and ignore Necromunda altogether until Ash Wastes comes out.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Spanish Manlove posted:

Get the community rules from Yaktribe.

I am a fan of closed rule systems. No meta to chase, no additional books, no rules tucked into White Dwarf.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Didn't the yaktribe compilation start including homebrew?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

moths posted:

I dunno. They were pretty good about flagging where bits and parts came from when they assembled their community books. So if there is homebrew it should be tagged in a different color, or in a text box.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'll have to look for it again, then. My group noped out hard when we thought they were adding fan content into the official stuff.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Atlas Hugged posted:

This. It will have the (hopefully updated) core rules, according to GW. On top of that, you'll need the House of... book for the gang you want. The Book of... books are essentially campaign books, and aren't strictly necessary. The only caveat to picking up Ash Wastes is that a) it's gonna be expensive; b) you may not want either gang; and c) it's not Necromunda "proper" in that you're dealing with an open environment, rather than towering gantries and/or confined spaces.

You could also pick up the Hive War box, if you're into either Escher or Delaque, as it comes with a rulebook, basic gang lists, and terrain. It's a decent starter set.

Finally, you can pick up the original NCE (Necromunda Community Edition) from Yaktribe, which is a community compilation of the original NM rules. They've done a good job collecting everything, and, tbh, gameplay-wise, old NM isn't too terribly far off from NM17. The big difference is gang composition - gangs used to be scrappy thugs desperately clinging onto the fringes of society, while NM17 is essentially house armies who have access to better gear.

moths posted:

Yeah - the NCE2017 (now the YCE) went from a compilation of official rules to a compilation with homebrew additions. IMO, I would avoid it if you ever plan on playing outside of your close group, as you might be learning/playing incorrectly.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Atlas Hugged posted:

this is probably what's gonna happen

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I picked up one of each of the Escher boxes in prep because locally we're kicking off a Necromunda campaign/league once Ash Wastes drops.

I want to start building and painting, but I'm not sure how much Ash Wastes will shuffle stuff around.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yeah - the NCE2017 (now the YCE) went from a compilation of official rules to a compilation with homebrew additions. IMO, I would avoid it if you ever plan on playing outside of your close group, as you might be learning/playing incorrectly.

Can you just use the campaign rules from the NCE and the rules rules from the Hive War booklet?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Lumbermouth posted:

Can you just use the campaign rules from the NCE and the rules rules from the Hive War booklet?

Don't know? I'm not 100% positive that the Hive War book is the full NM ruleset (like the original NM rules didn't include 3D terrain), and I don't know if the YCE are the official campaign rules, or if they've been heavily houseruled. I mean, you can do anything you want, of course - the campaign rules are just guidelines for arbitrators, and you can fudge them in any way that you want, so it really doesn't matter.

The other thing you can do is go to Goonhammer and look at the Lost Zone campaign.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Lumbermouth posted:

Not really. There are profound differences in how experience, trading, income and other things work. You'd need to significantly amend the campaign rules to account for the new game system and to do it right, you'd need to really understand how both systems play in order to retain the best bits of both.

My friend did put together some good compromises that make N17 feel more like NCE, you might find it if you search for posts by enyoss on Yaktribe.

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:
Is there such thing as 3rd party Blood Bowl boards any more, or now that GW has run hard with BB16/20 and team pitches is that a thing of the past?

I still have a 28mm(?) pitch in perfect condition but I guess it doesn't cut the mustard any more.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Absolutely nothing wrong with it, 32mm bases still fit unless you have a real tight scrum going on.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Redvenom posted:

Is there such thing as 3rd party Blood Bowl boards any more, or now that GW has run hard with BB16/20 and team pitches is that a thing of the past?

I still have a 28mm(?) pitch in perfect condition but I guess it doesn't cut the mustard any more.

Mats by Mars makes some, although they're not boards, they're vinyl mats.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

There's a fair amount of 3rd party pitches out there, though a lot are out of Europe.

Comixininos has a good selection but it's by no means all of them that are out there.

I have one from Maelstrom Mats and I like it way more than ones by Mats by Mars or similar because it's neoprene instead of vinyl.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Guess I'm in a small minority of Necromunda fans in being... not really hyped for Ash Wastes. Though this may be because the underhive vibe was one of the major things that originally drew me in and terrain building is now my favorite hobby thing, so "vehicles and emptier tables" puts me off.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I'd be surprised if regular necromunda stops getting releases or anything

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Guildencrantz posted:

Guess I'm in a small minority of Necromunda fans in being... not really hyped for Ash Wastes. Though this may be because the underhive vibe was one of the major things that originally drew me in and terrain building is now my favorite hobby thing, so "vehicles and emptier tables" puts me off.

I'm not a fan of size creep either. Vehicles in a skirmish game isn't my vibe. I can see the appeal, but I want my small games to be small.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Got a new warband finished for the first time since October!

Tried out freehand tattoos with varying levels of success:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Guildencrantz posted:

I don't really like the Nomads and I don't play Orlocks so I'm just in wait and see mode until more stuff gets revealed/released

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Guildencrantz posted:

counterpoint: gorkamorka owned

exploding a trukk and throwing everyone in it a d6 and scatter die away was hilarious

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

counterpoint: gorkamorka owned

exploding a trukk and throwing everyone in it a d6 and scatter die away was hilarious

the aesthetic owned. it would be nice to do some similar mad max shenanigans with a ruleset that handled them better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snidhog
Dec 31, 2007

Guildencrantz posted:

Same. I was looking forward to it, but the models just aren't doing it for me. The Orlock buggy doesn't look chunky enough and the Nomads having pipes blocking their legs is a design choice I can't get past. The bugs are cool, but they're not the vehicles I was hoping for.