Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Left hand holds the record for the most $100k+ sprinters I've ever seen in a single trail parking area

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Dread Head posted:

It was Gee that had the big crash. Dan has just been busy building tracks (unless I missed something).

Yeah that's right, Dan's the one who built the park, Gee is the crazy one who gets hurt. Here's a cool pic the GF took at the top, I can't believe this is March in Wales, madness.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Anyone here riding with both the Radar Ev and Flak 2.0 XL from Oakley? Does the unilens of the Radar do much for visibility, other than looking goofy, over the more regular glasses looking Flak?

Also, lots of people gushing about that Trail Torch tint. How much of that is hype?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Here's a little supercut of one of the red trails at Dyfi, Super Swooper:

https://v.redd.it/68emlyp81pq81/DASH_1080.mp4

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Looks super fun. Also that's a gorgeous forest. I'm not done with skiing yet, but I'm not going to be sad when MTB season starts here.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Eejit posted:

Looks super fun. Also that's a gorgeous forest. I'm not done with skiing yet, but I'm not going to be sad when MTB season starts here.

I have been skiing one day on the last few weekends and riding the other. Best of both worlds!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Our winter monsoon season is here late, so instead of riding at the best time of the year (temps peaking around 70) I get to watch the ground get saturated. I bought a spin cycle for christmas for my wife and I've put maybe 10 hours on it the past couple months, so I'm excited to be carry over some of those gains.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Was just in Bentonville for a trailbuilding conference this past week. Only got to hit Slaughter Pen, but we did every trail that was open. 20 miles of mtb is rough when it's the first real riding of the season. Place is absolutely wild, the amount of money the waltons are pumping in there is incredible. It'll all fall apart someday when they decide it's not worth it, but it's an impressive destination right now, and it'll keep getting better for at least the next ~5 years.
Would recommend visiting the Mountain Bike Capitol of the World™ ™ ™ ™ ™

I took exactly one picture, and it was of a painting in ~the walmart world room~

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

That pic in incredibly photoshoppable. What is Walmart guy promoting now?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
now in more readily photoshoppable form

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

:hfive:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hypnolobster posted:

Was just in Bentonville for a trailbuilding conference this past week. Only got to hit Slaughter Pen, but we did every trail that was open. 20 miles of mtb is rough when it's the first real riding of the season. Place is absolutely wild, the amount of money the waltons are pumping in there is incredible. It'll all fall apart someday when they decide it's not worth it, but it's an impressive destination right now, and it'll keep getting better for at least the next ~5 years.
Would recommend visiting the Mountain Bike Capitol of the World™ ™ ™ ™ ™

Lol and hello from Vancouver BC

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

VelociBacon posted:

Lol and hello from Vancouver BC

lol neither of you live in the Birthplace of Mountain Biking :smugdog:
(where you aren't allowed to ride on single track)

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

For real though, if you've never ridden copper harbor or Bentonville you owe it to yourself to come try the pinnacle of new school machine built trail.

It has about as much in common with Marin county riding as a Mojo HD5 does with a trek 850.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Them sandwiched Shimano disc brakes, that "Ice Tech Freeza" stuff, how much of an effect does it have in regards to thermals? I figure the structural integrity is lower, i.e. they get bent quickly, if you toss the bike in the back of your car and the disc gets hit or catches onto something?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Them sandwiched Shimano disc brakes, that "Ice Tech Freeza" stuff, how much of an effect does it have in regards to thermals? I figure the structural integrity is lower, i.e. they get bent quickly, if you toss the bike in the back of your car and the disc gets hit or catches onto something?

It probably does something but I don't think you'd really notice a difference in practice. I don't know if they're more prone to bending like that.

I've had a few different rotors including icetech and I didn't notice anything special on bike park laps.

Mechanical Pencil
Feb 19, 2013

by vyelkin

e.pilot posted:

now in more readily photoshoppable form

Is that cheese?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is there a mountain biking equivalent of /r/buildapcsales or anything like that? I went to a bike shop in my small town and talked with the extremely helpful guy there to see about getting started as a complete newbie. I just want to ride some of the trails where I am (high Rockies of Colorado) so he recommended a hardtail xc bike with a one by gear set and... I forget what it's called but the telescoping seat that lets you drop it down for downhills to make it less likely that a bump sends you over the handlebars? It's a small enough place that it pretty much just sells parts, does custom work / repairs, and had like three bikes for sale, none of which were a good fit. He even said "if you see something that you think you want to buy come back in and I'll take a look and tell you what I think" so it really doesn't feel like he was trying to upsell me on anything.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
A 1x drivetrain and a dropper are pretty much the first "extras" you want on a bike. Tubeless tires is another.

Sounds like your shop is taking good care of you. What's your budget?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

There's pinkbike classifieds, but probably your best bet for a deal is joining the local/nearby facebook groups and mtb clubs. That area should be hoppin and bike supply getting a little better so folks are upgrading their entry level covid hobby purchases to heartier stuff or bailing entirely. You can also post up on those groups "hey folks, newbie looking for X" and usually get some replies.

The shop's recommendation sounded fine and modern. Hardtail, 1x drivetrain, dropper, hydraulic disk brakes and that will set you up pretty well for a lot of learning before you out-ride it. For rough stuff you might want full suspension. Do you have an idea of your budget, and what's your current bike experience/fitness?

While I was starting out and researching my first bike in 20 years, I watched a ton of youtube on maintenance and tech and it helped dissolve a lot of the mystery of things. Any weird mtb thing will have tons of videos explaining the why's and hows.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Build your own is a model that doesn’t really translate to bikes (until you really get into bikes.) Before covid you were unlikely to build your first mtb cheaper than a big brand bike. With everything hosed, it’s difficult to source parts, you don’t know what you like/need, and unless you’re a competent bike mechanic you’ll pay a lot for labor.

Dropper post is what you’re describing; it’s one of the few parts it can make sense to add on as they usually are higher trim bikes. A 1x xc hardtail is a good place to start.

The trek/specialized/giant stores around here have pretty decent stock right now compared to most of the pandemic; other shops in the area might be good.

There’s also some internet direct to consumer brands your guy might be able to assemble for you.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

The bicycle world badly needs something akin to pcpartpicker.com too. Digging into finding the correct drivetrain components is absolutely insane.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Boogalo posted:

There's pinkbike classifieds, but probably your best bet for a deal is joining the local/nearby facebook groups and mtb clubs. That area should be hoppin and bike supply getting a little better so folks are upgrading their entry level covid hobby purchases to heartier stuff or bailing entirely. You can also post up on those groups "hey folks, newbie looking for X" and usually get some replies.

The shop's recommendation sounded fine and modern. Hardtail, 1x drivetrain, dropper, hydraulic disk brakes and that will set you up pretty well for a lot of learning before you out-ride it. For rough stuff you might want full suspension. Do you have an idea of your budget, and what's your current bike experience/fitness?

While I was starting out and researching my first bike in 20 years, I watched a ton of youtube on maintenance and tech and it helped dissolve a lot of the mystery of things. Any weird mtb thing will have tons of videos explaining the why's and hows.

That's a good idea, thanks. I actually since making that post had a goon friend nearby say he has one for sale so I'll look into it and see if it's a good fit. There's a community around here although I'm not sure how big it is, probably pretty decent at least. I haven't owned a bike in about 8 years since my at the time teenage brother let his friend borrow my bike after I had moved out and his friend left it on his front lawn and it got stolen. Before that, when I was in college and a teenager I would bike a few miles a day at most getting around town, I had a Raleigh cruiser bike IIRC, so nothing fancy. My cardio is pretty garbage right now, walking 2-3 miles leaves me gassed. That's a big part of why I am interested in starting this, I hate running and haven't been hiking since I no longer have a dog.

I didn't necessarily mean a build my own thing, I was just more thinking about a site where you can look to find notifications about sales.

E: I have no idea what my budget is at this point, ideally I'd find a used bike in good condition for $1k or less but I'm just trying to figure out what's reasonable right now. The guy at the shop said to expect $1,500-2k for what he was describing new.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 9, 2022

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

$1k usd for a somewhat modern hardtail with decent components and a dropper/1x drivetrain feels about right. I'd go used for sure.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
If you're hoping to find something in the 1k or lower range, on top of the other suggestions for used bikes I would add craigslist. It would help to learn a little bit about brands and models and whatnot because it can often seem like people don't know what they have when they list the bike. You can find good deals searching for quality brand names on CL. For new bikes that are decent in that price range, Costco has some bikes that are really good value, and above that is bikesdirect who make their own bikes but the models vary based on what supplies they can get for cheap, and they have ridiculous connections. A while ago they were selling good bikes with bluto forks for right at a grand. Just the fork is over $600 if you buy retail.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That's a good idea, thanks. I actually since making that post had a goon friend nearby say he has one for sale so I'll look into it and see if it's a good fit. There's a community around here although I'm not sure how big it is, probably pretty decent at least. I haven't owned a bike in about 8 years since my at the time teenage brother let his friend borrow my bike after I had moved out and his friend left it on his front lawn and it got stolen. Before that, when I was in college and a teenager I would bike a few miles a day at most getting around town, I had a Raleigh cruiser bike IIRC, so nothing fancy. My cardio is pretty garbage right now, walking 2-3 miles leaves me gassed. That's a big part of why I am interested in starting this, I hate running and haven't been hiking since I no longer have a dog.

I didn't necessarily mean a build my own thing, I was just more thinking about a site where you can look to find notifications about sales.

E: I have no idea what my budget is at this point, ideally I'd find a used bike in good condition for $1k or less but I'm just trying to figure out what's reasonable right now. The guy at the shop said to expect $1,500-2k for what he was describing new.

How close are you to Denver and the rest of the front range? you would have a much better chance at finding something here.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
It’s good to be home.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
This bike (or something like it) is my general recommendation for people who want to start mtb riding and are actually going to go out and do it and ride trails on a regular basis

https://konaworld.com/honzo.cfm

Up to date geo, 1x12 deore, ok fork, dropper, tubeless tires, thru axles front and rear. Possibly in stock at a nearby dealer although we're out of them currently. But also nearly 2k.

Also I finally rode a mtb a few times lately, it's been fun. Wednesdays we're doing mtb practice with the jr team but the other day it had just snowed so we went on a road/gravel ride. Did a make up tonight. No one crashed or got a flat tire on some of the rougher, steeper trails in town so that was nice. Well, in my group anyway.

Fit 4 seems like a nice improvement over the old grip damper. Went a little overboard on shock pressure the other day but it feels better with a little less. Tires are pretty good, not full on flimsy race stuff but still reasonably light and fast. Prob go lighter, like the tan mezcals or maybe aspens at some point. Getting used to "only" 100mm of dropper post and it seems fine now although I haven't been down the trail that made me think it was too short. Also got one o them teeny little thermoplastic tubes for a spare which slims down my little tube and co2 roll a lot.

a standard 29" tube is like 225g, the lightweight ones ~175. So that's an easy 100g+ savings from the bike as it's actually ridden most of the time. I have one on my cross bike too. Also with a standard tube my roll does not fit in this space and I had to use the other set of holes in the cages that moves the bottles higher

jamal fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 9, 2022

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

spwrozek posted:

How close are you to Denver and the rest of the front range? you would have a much better chance at finding something here.

Depending on traffic and weather (the latter slightly less of an issue for the next 5-6 months) between 2 and 7 hours. Which makes me realize I might also need to get a bike rack that can strap the bike on because I'm not trusting gravity to hold it on going along I-70. Depends on whether I can fit the bike in my hatchback, I probably can?

There's a pretty good amount of choices for used stuff up here, but a bigger shop would be nice for actually buying something if I can't find something used. I've been meaning to go down to Fort Collins, if Recycled Cycles is still open there I might swing by and see if they have good options.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 9, 2022

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Depending on traffic and weather (the latter slightly less of an issue for the next 5-6 months) between 2 and 7 hours. Which makes me realize I might also need to get a bike rack that can strap the bike on because I'm not trusting gravity to hold it on going along I-70. Depends on whether I can fit the bike in my hatchback, I probably can?

There's a pretty good amount of choices for used stuff up here, but a bigger shop would be nice for actually buying something if I can't find something used. I've been meaning to go down to Fort Collins, if Recycled Cycles is still open there I might swing by and see if they have good options.

it will fit fine in a hatch with the seats down. I used to put my bike in the back seat of my little saturn SL1. There are lots of us who ride in CO if you end up getting a bike. I am up in summit a lot but not going to be able to bike much there for a while yet.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I'd say Garfield is close to ready but we're about to be snow blasted so...

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I have a Gore jacket which is lovely. It has a removable hood and is slim fitting. It however is 8 years old and the zips have failed to the point where they can't be replaced. Does anyone have a good suggestion for a possible replacement? I don't mountain bike, but it claimed it's a mountain biking jacket so I figured I'd ask here. I use it for cycling around and hiking. I want it to have a hood, be slim-fitting and be properly water/windproof. I'm OK with paying for that.

I'm tall (6'4) and slim (170lbs) I looked around and am struggling. The Endura MT500 was strongly recommended when I was looking online but when I got it to try it the fit isn't great. You can make it tighter by pulling a variety of cords but that's a lot of faff and it still seems like it'd catch the wind way too much.

Thanks!

Sad Panda fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Apr 9, 2022

Mexican Radio
Jan 5, 2007

mombo with your jombo?

e.pilot posted:

It’s good to be home.

:hmmyes:

welcome back

dema
Aug 13, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah, I've been pretty happy with my Santa Cruz Chameleon. I've been able to do all the trails around Golden with it. Though, some of them (Apex, White Ranch) would be more fun with a nice medium travel, full suspension bike.

Looks like the lest expensive model is $2,400. https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/bikes/chameleon

$1k might be a tough price point to hit. Especially if you don't have someone to help you separate the wheat from the chaff in the used market. Good deals go fast while the over priced crap sits around.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Spring is a terrible time to buy a bike, but I can't imagine not having something to ride at this time of year myself. Good luck, put out some local feelers and hopefully you can find a good used bike.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I have a frankenbike in large that has survived everything on Colorado and Utah I've ridden. Needs a new cassette, chain and chain ring. It could be yours for around that amount of dollars!

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I thought this looked decent:

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/plus-boost-bikes/fantom-29-pro-29er-mountain-bikes.htm#geo

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

My friend has a 2013 Trek Rumblefish 3 that he said he'll sell me for $800. Downsides: no dropper, not a 1x. Upsides: tubeless, new brakes, new pedals, he's my friend so he's not going to try to pull one over on me. ???: full suspension rather than hardtail. I could pay the local shop to install a dropper for me depending on how much it costs, is not having a 1x a significant disadvantage? I don't see why it would be worse other than more complexity. And is the full suspension a downside or just that it's not necessarily needed for trail biking and it's more expensive usually?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

My friend has a 2013 Trek Rumblefish 3 that he said he'll sell me for $800. Downsides: no dropper, not a 1x. Upsides: tubeless, new brakes, new pedals, he's my friend so he's not going to try to pull one over on me. ???: full suspension rather than hardtail. I could pay the local shop to install a dropper for me depending on how much it costs, is not having a 1x a significant disadvantage? I don't see why it would be worse other than more complexity. And is the full suspension a downside or just that it's not necessarily needed for trail biking and it's more expensive usually?

That's just fine and you should take him up on it and go enjoy some riding! Beware of hyperbole coming down the pipes after my posts (sorry goons) here about how 1x is mandatory etc - it's great but it's not mandatory.

To answer your questions directly:

1. Having 1x not a significant disadvantage but it means you don't get a narrow/wide front chainring which does quite a lot to keep the chain on the ring, preventing it from bouncing off. It's something that becomes more and more important as you ride stuff more and more aggressively or just are on faster/rougher terrain. I think it's absolutely fine for someone learning. The other 'benefit' of 1x is not having to use a shifter on the left side of the bars, and yes less complexity in that you don't have to think about both the front and back derailleurs. Upgrading to a 1x drivetrain is going to be around 400-600 bucks I think and not worth it unless you can find it used.

2. The only downside to full suspension (at all levels of riding) is weight, cost, and a reduction in efficiency when pedalling. Weight is definitely something to think about if you weren't being offered a deal, but that bike has an air shock in the back and it's not really going to be that much heavier. Cost, you don't have to think about because you're getting a buddy deal. Pedalling efficiency has been less and less of a thing every year and a 2013 bike from Trek is going to be designed in such a way that the rear suspension doesn't really bob around which causes that decrease in efficiency.

3. You can always get a dropper post installed, yep. It's relatively easy, the only thing is that if your bike didn't have it 'stock' then it'd be an extra cable outside the frame that you'd have to manage. Be aware that there are different seat tube diameters and you absolutely must get the dropper post that matches your frame. This is the one thing I'd actually replace relatively soon, check out KS Lev posts.

You'd be dumb not to jump on that, enjoy the new bike and don't worry so much about the gear side of it. Congrats!

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I may have hosed up another rear rim. having a hell of a time getting it to hold air. new tire, new rim tape, I think it might jus be a a bit too dented for the rim tape to be sealing and air is squirting out the spoke holes when you really give it pedaling. then my cassette and half my hub fell off and I lost some pawl springs. At least I rode to the bike shop and got new brake pads for my commuter.