Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder what killed haier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

peanut allergy

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Atopian posted:

All feeling very early 2020 right now.
Would've been nice if they'd done it in late 2019.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Ups_rail posted:

Probably a tuk tuk. Didn't he go back to Thailand?

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

peanut allergy

aerosolized, in a mist of fart from a post 2000s beauty

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Are peanut allergies as common in China as they are in the US?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

thetoughestbean posted:

From personal experience, no.

I mean maybe I'm just one guy, but I don't know anyone with a peanut allergy here and I know a ton of people with peanut allergies in America.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Jeoh posted:

well, america

Loads of European countries have higher infection rates than the US does as of the last 2 months (defined by infection requiring hospitalization). The US still has higher per capita deaths because "don't need no vaccine", but most places have reopened even if they higher infection rates than most places in the states.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

thetoughestbean posted:

No. Peanut allergies (and most food allergies tbh) are kind of unknown outside the US and maybe a few other western countries.

That said, when I talked to Chinese friends about this they suggested any baby with a peanut allergy in China would be dead pretty fast so maybe that's part of the difference. :v:

Nearly every Chinese person I know claims to be allergic to alcohol though. One explained that she knows she is because if she drinks she feels dizzy and hot. My attempt to explain that is how alcohol works and is not an allergy fell on deaf ears.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
My understanding is that alcohol intolerance acts very fast, usually after a single drink, rather than the few you need to get drunk

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

thetoughestbean posted:

My understanding is that alcohol intolerance acts very fast, usually after a single drink, rather than the few you need to get drunk

Yeah they're all full of poo poo. The Asian flush is a thing but it's different than an allergy. And it's pretty consistent across all East Asian populations yet somehow only in China people claim not to be able to drink, I sure as hell didn't notice any reluctance in Korea or Japan. Or north China for that matter.

People in Sichuan don't drink much anyway. After living in Korea it was like being in a Mormon temple. I don't pressure people or anything, but I'd rather friends just tell me they don't want to drink than lie about an allergy.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Grand Fromage posted:

Nearly every Chinese person I know claims to be allergic to alcohol though.

"I'm allergic to alcohol, that's why I drink it a lot!"

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

The Great Autismo! posted:

seems like a totally normal way to run a country for the next few years

It's weird as hell, but it's not actively trying to get me killed, and by those standards it's the only option available.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
It's infuriatingly hard to find Peking duck in San Diego. Every Chinese place I try has it crossed off their menu. Still I found at least one place to satisfy my crispy duck cravings.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
This thread inspired me to roast a duck for dinner, and it was about $22 for a 3.5 lbs bird. Good for nostalgia, but it’ll be a long while before i get it again.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

Ups_rail posted:

Chaoshan girl, with love.

My friend uses Asian flush to appear drunk and swindle people.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I get like that if I have one glass of red wine.

I turn bright red and feel kinda like I have an allergy, hot and itchy, I am not Asian and it happens with no other alcohol as far as I know so I always assumed it was something something sulfites or whatever.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
i sure don't miss having to mingle and peruse buisness dinners with red wine and someones mystery baijiu

i've never heard the allergy excuse, more just "i don't drink cause i get really flush and dizzy etc etc"

now what's the deal with japan's beer??? like a half pint of suntory got me more hosed up than a 500ml bottle of 17% craft. might as well be beer flavoured strong zero

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

Stick to Minoh, it has a monkey on it.

ooh, look at em all

ook!

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Kharnifex posted:

Stick to Minoh, it has a monkey on it.

ooh, look at em all

ook!

Man, Chinese NFT knockoffs look like poo poo

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

My apes, all drunk.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

BrainDance posted:

I get like that if I have one glass of red wine.

I turn bright red and feel kinda like I have an allergy, hot and itchy, I am not Asian and it happens with no other alcohol as far as I know so I always assumed it was something something sulfites or whatever.

The alcohol flush reaction can happen with people who aren't Asian, it's just an inherited trait that is very common amongst the East Asian in particular, as well as the Southeast Asian, Inuit, and Ashkenazi populations. And particular types of alcohols can trigger the response; I have a non-Asian friend who pops red with certain varieties of whiskey, for example. Antihistamines can actually alleviate some of the effects, so it would make sense that the symptoms may feel similar to allergies.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Apr 2, 2022

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Kaal posted:

The alcohol flush reaction can happen with people who aren't Asian, it's just an inherited trait that is very common amongst the East Asian in particular, as well as the Southeast Asian, Inuit, and Ashkenazi populations. And particular types of alcohols can trigger the response; I have a non-Asian friend who pops red with certain varieties of whiskey, for example. Antihistamines can actually alleviate some of the effects, so it would make sense that the symptoms may feel similar to allergies.

It happens to me when I’m on a multi day bender. Like the evening of day 3 I’ll start getting giant red blotches all over. Guess I eventually just run out of the enzyme.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
I should try taking antihistamines next time I try alcohol, but generally I hate the taste of most beers/wines and gives me the same conditions as reported by most in this thread. I did feel very drunk after some vodka/cokes once, but every other time I tried drinking I just get sick more than drunk as well as itchiness. So I just stick to weed instead

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Kill All Cops posted:

I should try taking antihistamines next time I try alcohol
Umm... pretty sure that's alcohol and over-the-counter sleeping pills. Don't do it.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It's infuriatingly hard to find Peking duck in San Diego. Every Chinese place I try has it crossed off their menu. Still I found at least one place to satisfy my crispy duck cravings.

Come to Minnesota and hunt your own duck once hunting season starts. That’ll solve your duck problem

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Atopian posted:

It's weird as hell, but it's not actively trying to get me killed, and by those standards it's the only option available.

I lol'd

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Shumagorath posted:

Umm... pretty sure that's alcohol and over-the-counter sleeping pills. Don't do it.

Most countries (basically every place that isn’t the US) do not use first generation antihistamines, or indeed make them available to sale at all, specifically because being put to sleep for allergies is an insane side effect noone should deal with

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
American OTC medicines make for a fun trip souvenir for my retired pharmacist mom though, she loves seeing the bizarre poo poo you guys normalized

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

goblin week posted:

Most countries (basically every place that isn’t the US) do not use first generation antihistamines, or indeed make them available to sale at all, specifically because being put to sleep for allergies is an insane side effect noone should deal with

Everyone already knows that the rest of the world is a nanny state that thinks it's citizens can't handle such radical and harmful effects like, being tired.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

FREE to sleep whenever I please after my 16hr workday is done

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
first gen anticholinergic antihistamines are also the only reliable way known to get alzheimers

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
If China ends up Russia’s lifeline, do you think it itself might end up sanctioned by the west?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I'unno, bit of a difference between sanctioning a supply of oil and sanctioning one of the biggest manufacturers.

Not saying it couldn't be done, but the consequences of offshoring drat near everything could hit a lot harder in our own pockets if it came to it.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think many major industrial nations will freak out even harder than with Russian sanctions. You need to get your energy from somewhere else is a huge pain in the rear end. You need to get your everything from somewhere else, and also block imports from other people getting there everything from there as well is probably too much to bear. I don't know how the company I work for would handle it.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

goblin week posted:

Are you talking about diphenhydramine? I've never heard of it being prohibited or even controlled outside of the US. I did a quick search and the only thing that came up was that it's banned in Zambia.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
I’ve only heard of pepsid being used, do antihistamines work as well?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Devils Affricate posted:

Are you talking about diphenhydramine? I've never heard of it being prohibited or even controlled outside of the US. I did a quick search and the only thing that came up was that it's banned in Zambia.

It's completely uncontrolled in China or Korea at least, but it's a pain in the rear end to get.

There are like no over the counter allergy meds with diphenhydramine in either country. In Korea there are 50mg dph gelcaps that are sold for sleep, but they suck because 50mg is twice as much as you'd want for allergies. In China I've just never seen it, but you just get it on taobao it's not hard.

But what you can get in both countries at any pharmacy if you ask for something for allergies is an extract of belladonna cuz traditional medicine. And, it works, scopolamine and atropine are anticholinergic antihistamines. They just suck so bad and literally every other antihistamine is better, the side effects are worse than having allergies.

I have the same problems with pseudoephedrine, have to go to the hospital and see a doctor and all that to get it. I can walk into any pharmacy and get ephedrine in 5 minutes though, which also works but I want to sleep/not have my heart explode.

Having allergies/hosed sinuses in Asia sucks.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Whenever I would go back to the US I would go to Costco and get the big bottles of Zyrtec and Advil and Tums, because it was so much cheaper than trying to buy large quantities in Taiwan. I hate everything about the American healthcare system except this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

GoutPatrol posted:

Whenever I would go back to the US I would go to Costco and get the big bottles of Zyrtec and Advil and Tums, because it was so much cheaper than trying to buy large quantities in Taiwan. I hate everything about the American healthcare system except this.

The way it works in China, it's easier to get large quantities of prescription stuff than the OTC stuff.

You can go to the store and get a box of 8 ibuprofens.... Or you can go on meituan, order a prescription bottle of 100 naproxen capsules, it takes you to "Dr meituan guy" who says "hello do you have a condition that needs this?... Yes... Ok here you go one prescription even though I know nothing about you."

I have a big bottle of promethazine just because it was easier to get than diphenhydramine at the time and I had an allergic reaction, didn't wanna take belladonna extract.

I think prescriptions are more like suggestions in China, or maybe pharmacists can prescribe things, cuz no one seems to care.