Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

GoutPatrol posted:

Ideas about Irv and the inky blackness.

If you're going down there you are in some kind of coma/vegetative state right? So Irv was also someone who was in a coma for many years, had the severance procedure but then eventually "woke up" but still has memories from his time down there, like how some coma patients have memories of being in the hospital
No idea, but Irving has been in MDR for some time ( was it 6 or 7 tears? ) and who knows what he's gone through. It's clear though that the boundaries between his Innie and Outtie are breaking down and their lives are leaking to the other at a subconscious level. Petey's reintegration was enabled by a third party, but maybe it's possible reintegration is able to occur without intervention.
Like brain damage can be rehabilitated thanks to neural plasticity ( think disconnected synapses being rerouted through therapy and training ), and what is the Severance Procedure but a very precise form of brain damage.

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Apr 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Thinking on it, there's a lot of heavy lifting this finale is gonna have to do in order to make me happy. I want to know what's up with Cobel, Mark's wife, Irving, Helly, and Christopher Walken. Who helped flip the switch for Overtime, what work is MDR doing, what was optics doing, what's the re-integration doctor up to, what was the goal with re-integrating Petey, and is there more importance behind Petey's daughter? Things I'm willing to keep a mystery: The board, what the company is doing as a whole, the goats, waffle party, Jame Eagan's status, the senator and his wife, and whatever else Milchick is up to.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I get Control boardroom vibes with Lumon boardroom and im loving it

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
The finale is only 40 minutes… I’m looking forward to it, but I have a feeling the wait for season 2 is going to be painful.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

good article with Ben Stiller and Dan Erickson about the waffle party:

https://variety.com/2022/tv/features/severance-waffle-party-sex-scene-explained-dylan-kier-eagan-1235212918/

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Innie Mark will spill the beans at the book part after some, presumably, awkward/hilarious moments with Cobel and Rickon. I think after that Cobel will be inclined to explain much of wtf is actually going on. This shouldn't take that long. It's just a question of how satisfying the reveal is.

Another thing I thought of was how none of the other workers were able/willing to help Helly make the quota. You could argue this is just some rule, but considering how many rules they are willing to break, I think it aligns with my previous theory that only certain people can sort certain numbers based somehow on the four temperaments.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Problematic Pigeon posted:

Is it just me, or did the Board's voice sound an awful lot like the voice of Keir Eagen from the deathbed tape they play in the Perpetuity Wing?

It did and it's because the board is dead in some fashion, immortal in another. Helly isn't on the board because she is regular alive. I think she could be CEO or some other executive position.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Withnail posted:

Innie Mark will spill the beans at the book part after some, presumably, awkward/hilarious moments with Cobel and Rickon. I think after that Cobel will be inclined to explain much of wtf is actually going on. This shouldn't take that long. It's just a question of how satisfying the reveal is.

Another thing I thought of was how none of the other workers were able/willing to help Helly make the quota. You could argue this is just some rule, but considering how many rules they are willing to break, I think it aligns with my previous theory that only certain people can sort certain numbers based somehow on the four temperaments.

I 100% always understood it that they could physically not do each other's jobs, but you're right that it was never made explicit by the show, now that I think about it.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
I've seen it theorized that outie Helly is sick/dying and will join the dead board, which might help explain her callousness towards her innie.

Another probably insignificant thing I connected was Graner's odd fascination with Cobel's undercover nurse outfit. He 100% reported her to the board and got her fired. Graner was such a dick.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
He was a dick but also part of me think he and cobel slept together at some point. That or he really wanted to. Something in his leer....

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
This show is the perfect example of why week to week works better for mystery shows rather than binging. The argument comes up constantly in the other threads but I really enjoy reading people's theories and ideas after every episode, and I don't think it would have even close to the impact if it were all available right away.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I don’t really like binging any show I’ve realized, ever since Mandalorian did a week to week thing I’ve realized I’ve abandoned more shows that dump all their episodes at once than I can remember. But even weak stuff like Boba Fett I watched to the end hoping the next episode wouldn’t quite be so bad.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Only murders in the building was fun in the same way. Also gives you time to mull over the events and little hints and clues to piece together since you can't just get the answer by waiting for next ep to autoplay.

Hell, even Disco and Picard I look forward to each week despite their being no hope of good, still fun to goof on whatever sucks specifically that week and if they dumped them all at once there's no way anyone would be able to muscle through it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Week to week is ok but I’m never going back to ad breaks.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I know it’s not the same thing but I enjoy in-universe ad-breaks like Wandavision and other shows did, especially when they further the mythos or aesthetic of the show.

I would love to see some Lumon ads.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i am a moron posted:

Boba Fett I watched to the end hoping the next episode wouldn’t quite be so bad.

username / post combo of the year right here

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

fart simpson posted:

username / post combo of the year right here

Nobody’s perfect okay

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
It’s going to be pretty funny when the innies wake up and start explaining they were doing it all for Kier, and all the normal people are like “who’s that?”

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

dpkg chopra posted:

I would love to see some Lumon ads.

Better off Ted and Corporate both did ads with the right amount of satire/menace.

"Black People: we see you"

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Cojawfee posted:

Eh, I don't know how that would work. If she were a politician against Severance, Lumon would be able to figure that out and deny her. I have to assume there would be some sort of background check and they'd notice that the person who wants to become severed ran on an anti-severance platform or something. Also, there's the whole "You're not a person, you do what I tell you to do" type language she used in the video. Since it does seem like they implied that she's at that event that they were decorating for at Lumon, it seems to me that she must be some wealthy person that supports what Lumon is doing, or perhaps she's going to be presented as someone who is severed. She has to be someone who doesn't have a regular day job because she's been working at Lumon this whole time.

Yeah it's kinda a weak theory but I should have clarified. As mentioned, I was very tired (very stressful few months at work, blah blah blah).

I feel like a show that's big on dropping subtle clues (like knowing Irving's dog is named Radar only if you have subtitles on, the whole candle thing, among others), they've been a little heavy on the "Helly is secretly one of the bad guys" hints so I think it's a red herring. So maybe not a politician, but someone prominent

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

euphronius posted:

Week to week is ok but I’m never going back to ad breaks.

Week to week is the best for reasons people have already mentioned but I agree about ad breaks. I only see them when I'm watching sports these days.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Factor Mystic posted:

It’s going to be pretty funny when the innies wake up and start explaining they were doing it all for Kier, and all the normal people are like “who’s that?”

they live in the town of Kier and read the Kier Chronicle for their news

his cult is like scientology on steroids if they also ran the biggest company in the world, pretty much everyone is going to know exactly who he is

e: also i think that senator was from the small town of Wileston or something like that lol, there was the implication that this isn't even the only company town

eke out fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 2, 2022

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Tiggum posted:

The explanation that's been suggested by some in this thread, that it's some kind of pilot program so they want positive results to justify its expansion, makes a lot of sense. We've seen that the procedure is being regularly debated and protested, so it's not something that's established in this society and everyone's used to.

It's weirdly understaffed for being such a delicate project with major public-facing potential for catastrophe though. You'd think there would be much more supervision for a hundred(?) people than one manager, one HR, and one security person.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Chubby Henparty posted:

Better off Ted and Corporate both did ads with the right amount of satire/menace.

"Black People: we see you"

Yeah if you're looking for more dystopian corporate satire that's a bit more lighthearted (but still very sharp), I can't recommend Corporate enough. It's office-life Strangers with Candy.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

It was kinda fun hearing songs I'm used to hearing at my neighborhood Tiki bar in Severance - I've been trying to identify the song playing as Mark & Helly are talking in the kitchenette. I'm sure it's Martin Denny - it sounds like this part of "Quiet Village" but the thing with this style of music is that a poo poo ton of it sounds exactly the same and there are like 20-30 different versions of each song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exwknWjpCUk&t=100s

Go try to find a specific version of the song "Caravan" if you want to go insane.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Speculation, obviously, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of the innie characters pursue reintegration (Mark, Dylan) while others realize they'd rather retain the innie personality full-time but in the outside world. Like Irv, who doesn't appear to have much going on in his life, or Helly, who might realize her outie is a horrible person. Some of the options on the control room suggest that might be possible, and it sets up all kinds of potential storylines for season 2.

But really... I mostly want Irv to find Burt.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Trabant posted:

Speculation, obviously, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of the innie characters pursue reintegration (Mark, Dylan) while others realize they'd rather retain the innie personality full-time but in the outside world. Like Irv, who doesn't appear to have much going on in his life, or Helly, who might realize her outie is a horrible person. Some of the options on the control room suggest that might be possible, and it sets up all kinds of potential storylines for season 2.

But really... I mostly want Irv to find Burt.

I could see Burt being closeted with a wife and family, coming from a generation were he never even thought there was another choice.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It'd be nice just to know Burt was alive. I'm suspicious how much freedom people actually have to quit working there.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
They get a brain implant when they sign up so I wonder, if and when people do quit or just stop showing up, do they remove it? Or do you just walk around with a chip in your head that can turn you into someone else with zero notice at any time.

Didn't they say something in an early episode that the process was irreversible, or am I making that up? So maybe they can't even remove it because it would destroy your brain so you are just a Lumon sleeper agent for life.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

roomtone posted:

They get a brain implant when they sign up so I wonder, if and when people do quit or just stop showing up, do they remove it? Or do you just walk around with a chip in your head that can turn you into someone else with zero notice at any time.

Didn't they say something in an early episode that the process was irreversible, or am I making that up? So maybe they can't even remove it because it would destroy your brain so you are just a Lumon sleeper agent for life.

Yeah that's the whole sub plot with Petey. They say it's a permanent decision, and you can't get the chip out. The fact that he reversed it is one of the big mysteries.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
https://twitter.com/iamrob_in/status/1503449840432336902?s=20&t=D3zh_ZxY8eK-IqNT3ERgcw

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I concocted a whole clever reason as to what Dylan was going to order as his gift and why. I thought it would be something heavy so he could use the weight to help pull down the second switch when poo poo went down. In hindsight the story didn’t need that sort of convoluted connection. The gift was just sweet :3:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Wait what is Irving’s dog being called Radar a subtle clue for?

Nuts and Gum posted:

I thought it would be something heavy so he could use the weight to help pull down the second switch

:same:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Khanstant posted:

It'd be nice just to know Burt was alive. I'm suspicious how much freedom people actually have to quit working there.

If they extract the chip at the end , Burt is dead

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

pokeyman posted:

Wait what is Irving’s dog being called Radar a subtle clue for?

:same:

I don't know about a clue, but during Irv's wellness session he's told that his Outtie "enjoys the sounds of radar", which seemed like just an amusing made up factoid at first, but now it might imply that there's some truth to the things they tell them?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I swear, if it wasn't for the fact that I'm certain someone else is already making it, I'd probably make an actual-game version of MDR work.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

dpkg chopra posted:

I don't know about a clue, but during Irv's wellness session he's told that his Outtie "enjoys the sounds of radar", which seemed like just an amusing made up factoid at first, but now it might imply that there's some truth to the things they tell them?

Aha, yep I missed that. Thanks!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

dpkg chopra posted:

gently caress. gently caress gently caress gently caress. gently caress!

Definitely gonna do a full rewatch once the season is over.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

dpkg chopra posted:

Maybe Mark's tent and/or rock distinguishing skills will be incorporated into the finale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
This show fucks with me, I found the whole burt and Irv situation super touching and sweet. And the bit where Burt is telling irv about how they thought his department all had pouches is one of the funniest bits of dialogue in a TV show I've ever seen.

Show is amazing, can't wait for the finale