Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
They say you go to war with the army you have not the army you want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

i am harry posted:

he could always get Covid and become disabled, losing his job forever immediately and also the rest of the good years of his life :shrug:

e: but I guess it’s alright…at least he’ll be able to say proudly that he did it working, and not something stupid like watching a Spider-Man movie

yeah cool we can't exactly afford to lose half our income right now. he's not a computer toucher so most remote work is out the window.

but i guess i should have expected this kind of a response oh well

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Nocturtle posted:

It's a clickbait politico article, but describes how the FDA approval of the Moderna pediatric 2 dose vaccine might not be a given:

Basically Moderna will claim its antibody measurements are sufficient for an EUA but the FDA might insist on better efficacy, requiring data from the third dose trial. This is essentially what they demanded from Pfizer and it's not hard to see the same being demanded again. Protection against severe disease is plausible, but not many children get severe disease anyway so that might not carry much weight.

Obviously it makes sense to give the initial two doses now while waiting on data from the third dose trial, given the higher efficacy post-third dose reported in older age range trials and our understanding of the immune system. However this is exactly the common sense approach the FDA rejected back in January.

Jesus loving christ I hate it here. I wish the FDA a very :nsa:

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Allstone posted:

Someone told me there are certain industries that disqualify you from taking an MRI, just due to the ambient level of metal fragments embedding into you as a day-to-day occurence. If safety measures aren't mandated and enforced, it's a pretty safe bet that they aren't generally being followed.

lol this is completely false. The only way I'm not scanning you is if you were a welder/steel worker and were such a loving dumb rear end in a top hat you didn't wear eye protection and got poo poo in your eye and then also never got it removed. We'll do an xray to check if we don't trust it. The idea of a bunch of microfragments being a contraindication is nonsense and not a real thing. Anything this small wouldn't penetrate past your skin and would get poo poo out over time as your skin molts. Larger fragments capable of penetrating would be incredibly obvious and even then, depending on location, are more of a problem regarding artifact on images than any safety concerns.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Nocturtle posted:

It's a clickbait politico article, but describes how the FDA approval of the Moderna pediatric 2 dose vaccine might not be a given:

Basically Moderna will claim its antibody measurements are sufficient for an EUA but the FDA might insist on better efficacy, requiring data from the third dose trial. This is essentially what they demanded from Pfizer and it's not hard to see the same being demanded again. Protection against severe disease is plausible, but not many children get severe disease anyway so that might not carry much weight.

Obviously it makes sense to give the initial two doses now while waiting on data from the third dose trial, given the higher efficacy post-third dose reported in older age range trials and our understanding of the immune system. However this is exactly the common sense approach the FDA rejected back in January.

lmao why would anyone think the FDA is gonna do EUA for covid anymore? It's been 2 years and the vaccines aren't effective enough in pediatric doses and too dangerous to give in effective adult does in pediatric patients who will have out of control immune response. You're better off just trying to bribe the minimum wage worker at walgreens to just give you a syringe than waiting for under 5 vaccines to ever get approved.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Asproigerosis posted:

lol this is completely false. The only way I'm not scanning you is if you were a welder/steel worker and were such a loving dumb rear end in a top hat you didn't wear eye protection and got poo poo in your eye and then also never got it removed. We'll do an xray to check if we don't trust it. The idea of a bunch of microfragments being a contraindication is nonsense and not a real thing. Anything this small wouldn't penetrate past your skin and would get poo poo out over time as your skin molts. Larger fragments capable of penetrating would be incredibly obvious and even then, depending on location, are more of a problem regarding artifact on images than any safety concerns.

What if Rebecca Romijn tricks me at a bar after I finish my shift at a plastic prison and injects me with liquid metal, huh?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
You'd have a bad loving time once you crossed maybe the 50-100 gauss field line. Assuming your metal was ferromagnetic.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Asproigerosis posted:

You'd have a bad loving time once you crossed maybe the 50-100 gauss field line. Assuming your metal was ferromagnetic.

aluminum laughs at magnetism

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

love how we still let insurance companies act as the final arbiter of what's medically necessary instead of, you know, doctors

hmm your doc prescribed drug x? nah, we'll only let you have cheaper, shittier drugs y or z, try those first and get back to us

oh your doctor says you need a blood clotting test? well I'm a bean-counter at Cigna with no medical degree and I say you don't, so you're not getting one lol

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Rhesus Pieces posted:

love how we still let insurance companies act as the final arbiter of what's medically necessary instead of, you know, doctors

hmm your doc prescribed drug x? nah, we'll only let you have cheaper, shittier drugs y or z, try those first and get back to us

oh your doctor says you need a blood clotting test? well I'm a bean-counter at Cigna with no medical degree and I say you don't, so you're not getting one lol

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
bean counters drunk with power.........

:thunk:

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
honestly a bit skeptical on this, though I'm seeing more chatter about it as we jump into the next wave

https://twitter.com/cjmandell/status/1510027496825233411?t=VmkxF0srYNLdeLgDQ9crrw&s=19

skeptical because of responses like this

your kid also isn't wearing a mask for every meal, snack, drink of water, recess, and likely at no other time either since no one else is so he's flat out lying to you to avoid being made fun of by the entire rest of the school students and staff!!!

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/davidaxelrod/status/1510292754626134023?s=20&t=kbr0f2w4S9897TM9ZgTtzA

OH

WOOOOOORRRRRDDD????

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Asproigerosis posted:

It’s still on the mri questionnaire as recently as like 2 years ago, you don’t have any docs that are super conservative w this stuff?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

How's that Obamacare working out for you

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

fosborb posted:

honestly a bit skeptical on this, though I'm seeing more chatter about it as we jump into the next wave

https://twitter.com/cjmandell/status/1510027496825233411?t=VmkxF0srYNLdeLgDQ9crrw&s=19

your kid also isn't wearing a mask for every meal, snack, drink of water, recess, and likely at no other time either since no one else is so he's flat out lying to you to avoid being made fun of by the entire rest of the school students and staff!!!

On top of all that N95s aren't rated for kids. Like yes it would be better and less likely your kid pops positive if everyone wore N95s at school but if I took my N95 off in the grocery store for 30 minutes and then complained the mask didn't work :rubby:

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

he just saw his HOA fees

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

fosborb posted:

Yeah it's more likely she took it down to have some water or lunch or something. We know the n95s work and I feel safer at work now because I don't take it off. I leave my water bottle in the car and don't bring lunch. Down 30 pounds!

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
Can we go back to leaded gas for a while? I'd like to just melt my brain into mush and become one of the Stuffed.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
Got my fourth shot this morning. poo poo hits hard, it's got long legs

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
The BA.2 wave predicted to start right about now. My partner and coworkers refusing to even think about returning to caution. Air travel plans coming up. And the college kids have brought back their annual neighborhood-wide block party tradition.

All signs point to my finally getting the 'vid. I wish I was delusional like the idiots who still believe "Well it's good to catch it, after that you're immune forever, like chicken pox." Then I'd have something to look forward to.

Oh well.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Animal-Mother posted:

The BA.2 wave predicted to start right about now. My partner and coworkers refusing to even think about returning to caution. Air travel plans coming up. And the college kids have brought back their annual neighborhood-wide block party tradition.

All signs point to my finally getting the 'vid. I wish I was delusional like the idiots who still believe "Well it's good to catch it, after that you're immune forever, like chicken pox." Then I'd have something to look forward to.

Oh well.

if you’re lucky you’ll be dumber after getting it at least, probably cheer you up a bit

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
well i just learned i have a "at minimum moderately narrowed" major artery in my heart so wish me luck dodging this next wave (and getting my procedure done before the hospitals are overrun)

(i'm active and otherwise healthy, and have been on statins as a precaution since i was 21 since my dad had his first heart attack at like 30, so hopefully it's been caught early enough for a good intervention, and my new case of 9210s will come in handy until i can get in somewhere)

Petey has issued a correction as of 21:09 on Apr 2, 2022

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Petey posted:

well i just learned i have a "at minimum moderately narrowed" artery in my heart so wish me luck dodging this next wave (and getting my procedure done before the hospitals are overrun)

that sucks :(

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Petey posted:

well i just learned i have a "at minimum moderately narrowed" artery in my heart so wish me luck dodging this next wave (and getting my procedure done before the hospitals are overrun)

that donks :( wishing you all the best.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Petey posted:

(i'm active and otherwise healthy, and have been on statins as a precaution since i was 21 since my dad had his first heart attack at like 30, so hopefully it's been caught early enough for a good intervention)
Good luck! :ohdear:

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Petey posted:

well i just learned i have a "at minimum moderately narrowed" major artery in my heart so wish me luck dodging this next wave (and getting my procedure done before the hospitals are overrun)

(i'm active and otherwise healthy, and have been on statins as a precaution since i was 21 since my dad had his first heart attack at like 30, so hopefully it's been caught early enough for a good intervention, and my new case of 9210s will come in handy until i can get in somewhere)

drat dude. Hopefully you get through this quick and safe.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

fosborb posted:

I do think plenty of “bUt I DiD eVeRytHiNg riGHt!!” claims come from people who did not in fact do everything right but it seems totally believable that someone could wear an N95 all the time and still get covid. It’s not like most people are doing a fit test every day or wearing eye protection. If you’re surrounded by maskless rona fountains you’re running a higher risk of getting unlucky.

Petey posted:

so wish me luck

Wishing you luck!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
helped get my mother set up for her fourth shot

she refused to believe that I couldn’t get one

“can’t you call your doctor and have them prescribe it?”

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

NeonPunk has issued a correction as of 16:25 on Mar 4, 2023

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Joementum posted:

helped get my mother set up for her fourth shot

she refused to believe that I couldn’t get one

“can’t you call your doctor and have them prescribe it?”

lol boomers

"wait, you can't just demand things and instantly receive them no questions asked? It's worked for me all my life!"

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Petey posted:

Last I checked they only angioplasty/Stent coronaries at 80% stenosis minimum

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
good great wonderful fantastic, I was a huge loving idiot yesterday and let my guard down by letting a friend come over for an hour last night with his daughter to hang and he texted me a bit ago saying he tested positive. another friend was 10 minutes away from coming over with HIS kid as well (he and I are our bubble in that he stays home all the time too) and his kiddo was heartbroken since we had plans to till up some raised beds and plant some spring seeds. I'm just.. so done with trusting others. so done. people are poo poo.

with all that in mind, how long after potential exposure should I test? this was about 7 pm last night, it's 1:30 pm now and I just took a rapid test. should I wait a couple days?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Asproigerosis posted:

what about titanium implants? I assume they are non ferromagnetic but apparently they can produce a weak magnetism?

I mean I know its fine given they slapped me in a 3 tesla coil hours after surgery but I always wondered

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I do think plenty of “bUt I DiD eVeRytHiNg riGHt!!” claims come from people who did not in fact do everything right but it seems totally believable that someone could wear an N95 all the time and still get covid. It’s not like most people are doing a fit test every day or wearing eye protection. If you’re surrounded by maskless rona fountains you’re running a higher risk of getting unlucky.

she has kids in school

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Rhesus Pieces posted:

[COVID] april stools

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Louisgod posted:

good great wonderful fantastic, I was a huge loving idiot yesterday and let my guard down by letting a friend come over for an hour last night with his daughter to hang and he texted me a bit ago saying he tested positive. another friend was 10 minutes away from coming over with HIS kid as well (he and I are our bubble in that he stays home all the time too) and his kiddo was heartbroken since we had plans to till up some raised beds and plant some spring seeds. I'm just.. so done with trusting others. so done. people are poo poo.

with all that in mind, how long after potential exposure should I test? this was about 7 pm last night, it's 1:30 pm now and I just took a rapid test. should I wait a couple days?

*whispers* five days... (So says my Biden test)

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Louisgod posted:

Last guidance I saw was 3 days so I'd probably rapid test at 2,3,4 days and consider a PCR in the 3/4 day range.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Louisgod posted:

I remember symptoms can show up 2 days after exposure so I guess then. That sucks man. Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
thank you all. I loving hate people.