Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Infinitum posted:

We've scheduled round 2 of Nemesis this weekend, and one of my players linked this in the group Discord today

:allears:

Saving this for later, i'm finally gearing up to hopefully play the first game of Nemesis soon

I got all of the content so it's a bit of a minefield to navigate, plus I want to paint everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
nevermind

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Apr 1, 2022

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

Do all of us more or less understand why both of these posts are wrong and not good faith arguments or will I or someone else need to write up why both of these posts are wrong, invalid, or otherwise just goalpost shifting and whataboutism?

Dunno if this is the thread for it, but yes, it is certainly not obvious to me why the unstated position opposing that poster is right.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

radmonger posted:

Dunno if this is the thread for it, but yes, it is certainly not obvious to me why the unstated position opposing that poster is right.

Please read the OP.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
I'm just glad to have any excuse to delete my Kickstarter account and remove all temptation of backing anything in the future. Once Blood on the Clocktower and Root: Marauder ship I'll finally be ready to slip the surly bonds of the hype machine. Until another youtube channel convinces me I need to buy something

Almost anything worthwhile will absolutely come to retail and/or get another print run. Besides, my pile of shame is far too big already.

Current pile of shame:
Great Western Trail 2e
Hansa Teutonica
Istanbul
Kingdomino
Long Shot: The Dice Game
Mottainai Mini
Pax Pamir 2e
Pipeline
Trambahn
Vast: The Mysterious Manor
Welcome to the Moon

I have a problem. Send help.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The only purpose crypto stuff serves is to break up an monetize ever more things that used to be free. Even in an ideal world with no environmental impact this would be bad.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

radmonger posted:

Here's the relevant bit from the OP

quote:

Inexplicable Crypto Baloney in the Trad Games Space

Unless you've been living under a rock, you've inevitably heard about the nonsense surrounding Bitcoin, Cryptocurrency, and NFTs. (For everyone else, for your own sake please get back under that rock! Also, do you need a roommate?) If you want to learn more, YouTube essayist Dan Olson put out a wildly popular video about the topic here. To save the space here attempting to explain all this malarkey, I will simply quote David Gerard, author of Attack of the 50 Foot Blockchain. "Everything to do with cryptocurrencies and blockchains is the domain of fast-talking conmen. If anyone tries to sell you on either, kick them in the nuts and run."

Of course, if this silliness were merely a scam, few would care; fools and money are wont to part in innovative ways. However, this blatherskite actually affects all of us because crypto is terrible for the environment, using an absolutely preposterous amount of energy and possessing a huge carbon footprint. Much of the recent hot air expended about this is trying to deny how much hotter it will make the air: there are different schemes that claim to be less wasteful or neutralized with carbon offsets. However, unlike a person who takes an unavoidable plane trip who just wants to do their part, when discussing offsets while engaging in completely wasteful and totally unnecessary drivel just to financially speculate and try to become rich, it starts to sound like 16th century commercialized Catholic Carbon Indulgences from the Carbon Antipope of Reddit.

You might think that our meatspace world of traditional board games would be immune to this type of techbro garbo, but you would be wrong. Miniature-heavy publisher CMON and solo experience publisher Van Ryder are both getting in to NFTs. Even the 100-year-old brand Bicycle, the maker of regular playing cards is getting in on it. However, this is really only newsworthy because a much bigger player also got in on it: crowdfunding platform Kickstarter. Lots and lots of board game projects go through Kickstarter, with over 230 million dollars pledged in 2020. Statements made since the announcement do not inspire confidence. for various reasons. The platform's adoption of NFTs is especially galling because there are plenty of features that Kickstarter users want and need, like a pledge manager and better community controls, which remain missing to this day. And yet they somehow find the time and energy to add this hogwash. Why? It's probably the same reason every other company is getting in on this: naked avarice completely disassociated with reality.

So, if any of that matters to you, then maybe don't use the Kickstarter platform and don't buy games from CMON, Van Ryder or purchase Bicycle playing cards.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Store I want to grab Ark Nova from is out of stock :negative:

Tempura Wizard posted:

Yes, not enough games. Shameful.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Tempura Wizard posted:

I'm just glad to have any excuse to delete my Kickstarter account and remove all temptation of backing anything in the future. Once Blood on the Clocktower and Root: Marauder ship I'll finally be ready to slip the surly bonds of the hype machine. Until another youtube channel convinces me I need to buy something

Almost anything worthwhile will absolutely come to retail and/or get another print run. Besides, my pile of shame is far too big already.

Current pile of shame:
Great Western Trail 2e
Hansa Teutonica
Istanbul
Kingdomino
Long Shot: The Dice Game
Mottainai Mini
Pax Pamir 2e
Pipeline
Trambahn
Vast: The Mysterious Manor
Welcome to the Moon

Come come, you have to play Hansa Teutonica! I'd also recomment Pax Pamir 2e and Pipeline.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Mayveena posted:

Come come, you have to play Hansa Teutonica! I'd also recomment Pax Pamir 2e and Pipeline.

You're right, I think Hansa has to be the first out of the pile, doesn't seem too bad to teach.
The spirit is willing, but the table is so, so weak. I'll get them to the table someday. :unsmith:

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Mayveena posted:

Thanks I must have missed your previous post. I'm going over the rules with a fine tooth comb so I can be prepared for our session. Any thoughts on '49? I was thinking about playing that on 18xx.games hotseat style.

I really like '49 but my group didn't like it as much. Per Hex Trains and the randomised company availability are really neat.

THAT SAID... the gauge changing system is super goddamn finicky and playing in person could be a nightmare because of just the sheer volume of unique bloody tiles to choose from. It leads to great strategy and some gently caress YOU tile builds but aside from that is kind of annoying in practice.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

FulsomFrank posted:

I really like '49 but my group didn't like it as much. Per Hex Trains and the randomised company availability are really neat.

THAT SAID... the gauge changing system is super goddamn finicky and playing in person could be a nightmare because of just the sheer volume of unique bloody tiles to choose from. It leads to great strategy and some gently caress YOU tile builds but aside from that is kind of annoying in practice.

So awesome that there's an online implementation I can try before buying. Unfortunately 1848 isn't on 18xx.games otherwise we'd be hot seating that one too.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I really like the look of HT but it doesn't play 2 which is problematic for me and I also have so many other vaguely similar euro games in my collection it's hard to justify the purchase.

It's kind of annoying when you're really into European history because I love the theming of these games but everyone else thinks of them as being ultra-dry and boring.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

RabidWeasel posted:

I really like the look of HT but it doesn't play 2 which is problematic for me and I also have so many other vaguely similar euro games in my collection it's hard to justify the purchase.

It's kind of annoying when you're really into European history because I love the theming of these games but everyone else thinks of them as being ultra-dry and boring.

Yeah it's definitely not for two players. I will say this: it's one of the oldest games in my collection in fact it's the second oldest game after Civ/Adv Civ. We love it!

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Hansa Teutonica has been on my to buy list for a while, and I finally got a chance to play it this January which definitely solidified it into a must have. Unfortunately I passed on picking up the big box at my FLGS in November, and it's been backordered ever since.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

RabidWeasel posted:

You may be right that you have similar games in your collection as there's plenty I haven't played, but I have played a lot of euro games and still find HT to be pretty unique in its mechanics, the way interactions occur between players and the feel of the game, even though it looks like every other early-mid 2000s euro game.

I'm the opposite on the theme, I really enjoy HT and find it an amazingly well-designed game but the aesthetic makes me far more reluctant to pull it off the shelf. So many modern games have such beautiful art and graphic design, I've become much more influenced by 'prettiness' than I would like. I wish more of these solid older games would get the Brass Lancashire treatment.

In other news, it looks like Carnival Zombie 2nd ed. has finally shipped only 2 and a half years late, and with no pictures released of the final product before shipping. I'd written it off as my first failed kickstarter but looks like I'll be receiving something, just god-knows what :v:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Kerro posted:

In other news, it looks like Carnival Zombie 2nd ed. has finally shipped only 2 and a half years late, and with no pictures released of the final product before shipping. I'd written it off as my first failed kickstarter but looks like I'll be receiving something, just god-knows what :v:

In honor of April 1st you'll in fact be receiving a brick :smug:

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Kerro posted:

An actual carnival zombie. :toot:

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I recently played Concordia at a Meetup and enjoyed it. Amazon is running a promo where if you buy something that is listed as "sold by Amazon" and you have it delivered to a locker/hub, you can use the code 10OFFPICKUP to get $10 off a purchase of $20+. So I decided to order Concordia (already $20 off MSRP + $10 more). I'll get xpacs through my FLGS to make up for my sin of feeding the Amazon beast. Speaking of which:

The catch is I'm in a 2 player household until mid-May. Any suggestions on which board/map set to get for 2P?

Also, BGG seems to concur that Salsa is the best xpac for Concordia. Anyone confirm/deny?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Admiralty Flag posted:

I recently played Concordia at a Meetup and enjoyed it. Amazon is running a promo where if you buy something that is listed as "sold by Amazon" and you have it delivered to a locker/hub, you can use the code 10OFFPICKUP to get $10 off a purchase of $20+. So I decided to order Concordia (already $20 off MSRP + $10 more). I'll get xpacs through my FLGS to make up for my sin of feeding the Amazon beast. Speaking of which:

The catch is I'm in a 2 player household until mid-May. Any suggestions on which board/map set to get for 2P?

Also, BGG seems to concur that Salsa is the best xpac for Concordia. Anyone confirm/deny?

I try to support local, but Salsa for $18? Yes, please. Here's hoping it's not counterfeit.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Admiralty Flag posted:

Corsica (from Corsica/Gallia) is a good recommendation.

Another option is Aegyptus/Creta. Both maps are meant for 2-3 players and it comes with a variant of the card market.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

You could also use the official Solitaire Modul to simulate a third player or to play solo.

The bot is easy to use and I like it quite a lot

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Hive is probably one of my favorite and most-played games, but by god I don't think there has ever been a situation where the pillbug expansion tile has ever been useful at all.

The ladybug, on the other hand, the ladybug wins games.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Admiralty Flag posted:

Corsica/Gallia or Creta/Egypta, either one is fine

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Llyranor posted:

Corsica/Gallia or Creta/Egypta, either one is fine

If you got base Concordia, I'd get Aegyptus/Creta because it comes with the alternate card market. If you got Concordia Venus, this is included and either map set is good. Also a solo variant called Concordia solitaria was just released that lets you choose to play 1v1 vs a solo deck, 1v1v1 with it playing a third player to two human players, or 2v1 with two human players teaming up against the ai deck. This will give you a lot of two player variation, and let you play larger maps with "two" people

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Admiralty Flag posted:

Concordia is excellent. Salsa is nice; the wild resource is very interesting, though I only got like 2 plays before lockdown. I'd play it vanilla for the first few trips around to get a handle on it. I honestly haven't done the forum tiles yet, because it feels a bit like the King of Tokyo: Power Up! expansion, which I honestly felt was unnecessary.

Still haven't gotten to play the Balearic Islands map yet. And I should buy Concordia: Solitaria the solo expansion.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Admiralty Flag posted:

I haven't played with Salsa and have never felt it to be a loss. I would say Venus was the essential expansion, as it includes a 2-player map and expands the player count to six.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I like the Forum cards better than Salt out of the Salsa expansion. It makes the start a bit more variable and tips the balance on certain strategies enough to be interesting. It also makes re-collecting your cards early a more interesting decision. It’s also very little rules overhead, I toss it into new player games with no issue.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Mr. Squishy posted:

It's hard to diagnose what (if anything) you're doing wrong, but that's certainly not been my experience of the game. One immediate rule you might have missed is the final scoring being doubled, which is a strat stolen from cheap gameshows to keep things competitive till the end.
I don't necessarily see that an empires favourite will have a larger court - there aren't that many Patriot cards. I guess if you're throwing away a lot of losing patriots when switching sides, that might cause it. But why would you invest so heavily in patriots if you're uncontested? And if your court is composed entirely of patriots, the smart move might be to let that scoring round pass (if you can't claw it back to the non-dominance scoring) and win the next ones.
e: it's very possible for PPam to be not for you, but I've not heard the complaint that the players can get an unshakeable lead. If anything, it's the reverse.

threelemmings posted:

The game is designed in 2p that if one person is able to hold total dominance then yes, they are in an incredibly strong position pointwise. 2p is almost a totally different game then 3p. The more normal scoring will have a first place/second place split of points either due to unsuccessful dominance or a last minute loyalty swap. Either way, when you split points it takes several rounds to secure a win, swap the playing field so that you win where they couldn't compete. In 2p that pace is just faster .

However, seeing as you mention switching after scoring (e: I misread, but just apply this to not switching back on reset)... That is dependent on both of your tableaus. If you think dominance was close and could compete again, then staying in your own coalition means you have a better chance of equalizing points or forcing them to swap to you. Everyone on the same coalition means certain cards no longer matter, so it's worth seeing who that disadvantages more. Depending on their cards, swapping means you have to play catch up on influence, so you are often automatically putting yourself behind. That's something I'm more likely to do near the end of the round to secure a second place split as a backup plan. I would only open a round like that if I had assembled a good court that could compete in the political realm and snatch up more influence to force them to change gears from war to politics.

I also don't see how someone winning means they automatically will have a bigger/better court, that comes down to what suits you are playing. If they are placing a lot of blocks for dominance, they are playing military or econ cards, which don't grow your court. If they're econ, your military can destroy the roads. If they're heavily military, then play the political game, gain ownership of regions to tax them directly or assassinate out of the blue suit.

I feel like a lot of the success in pax Pamir is deciding what game to play based off both what you and your opponent have available If you can't beat them head to head with military, each other suit offers strong paths to victory; tax them out of the zero sum economy, assassinate their cards, etc. Flexibility is key.

Edit: I do think in a very extreme head to head game where you only score a few times, winning two rounds in a row is a pretty strong show of dominance and it makes sense to end it there, so I think the point system is doing its job.

Most games I've played 2 or 3p all balanced on the knifes edge. The runaway games usually occurred when someone got some fatal momentum that the other players didn't pivot to in time, especially good economic control of the market row. I and another player had invested heavily in military to win dominance, and my wife just sat on the sidelines and taxed away until we had no money and she just bought Afghanistan, it was amazing.

Just wanted to return to these months old posts and thank the posters for the insight. It's clear I'm only scratching the surface of the strategy in this game. To be concise, what I'm struggling to overcome is that in a 2p game, you can't survive losing even two failed dominance checks in a row, or you'll lose. So if your opponent has even one or two additional cylinders in play, what's to stop them from fairly quickly forcing two unsuccessful dominance checks and ending the game super early? Winning a successful dominance check is usually an indication that the winner had a more robust tableau (I assume). And because an unsuccessful check doesn't reset the court cards or the board state, the person who won the check is already in the lead as they approach the second dominance check of the game. Am I missing some rule, or just playing like a dumb dumb? It just seems awfully unforgiving that you can't survive two unsuccessful dominance checks, and that losing one likely means you'll lose the next one too.

On an unrelated note, I wanted to say that I have been an outspoken skeptic (and occasional critic) of Spirit Island and in particular, Jagged Earth. My criticisms mostly revolved around bad copy-editing and finding the card effects awfully hard to parse sometimes However, Bottom Liner very helpfully pointed out a 50% off deal on JE recently so I gambled and bought it. I'm pleased to report that I was extremely wrong about JE, and I am joining the thread consensus that it's absolutely fantastic. My spouse decided her first play of JE was going to be as Starlight Seeks its Form, which nearly gave me a heart attack, but she managed to assemble a really powerful spirit and we won our first game (and our second). Anyway, I couldn't be more pleased with the expansion and it's dramatically increased my appreciation for the game (and its longevity). Thank you, thread.

edit: Also please no one be offended by my AV. A lovely antisemite bought it for me and I haven't had a chance to change it yet.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

I've been playing a bunch of D&D with the kids, but they want to play it more often than I want to DM. So anyway, I picked up a D&D adventure board game - Wrath of Ashardalon thinking it could sort of bridge that gap.

What a tedious piece of garbage. Sprawling, fiddly, pointless mess. Boringly, grindingly random. Dry... endless deserts of downtime, with turns lost to curses or misses or just... nothing. Poorly themed, boringly interchangeable enemies.

Player characters felt like much-too similar lumps, with very little special, super-repetitive turns, with much too little progress through the session (and most sessions being standalone, so no help there either). Box full of tiles with grid chunks... but whole map felt mostly irrelevant. Far too much play time spent resolving crushingly boring "Encounters", far too many of which were effectively "lose a turn" or "everyone takes damage". An incredible amount of "no-decision" randomness.

One of the worst designed, least enjoyable games I've played.

CONS:

Interminable joyless turd.

PROS:

Components are fine.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 2, 2022

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Edit : I can't read

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
I'm always absolutely baffled whenever anyone ever recommends the D&D board games (Ashardalon etc) as my experience exactly mirrors yours. It was almost perplexingly boring, the total lack of variance or interest at any point. The fact that they released an entire range of these games and that people seems to like them just highlights for me how individual taste can be as I just can't wrap my head around it (But then I feel that Nemesis is an equally miserable game, for different reasons, and that seems to be very well liked for the most part).

Edit: Also I think you're being unreasonably kind regarding the components, what the gently caress is with map tiles that are just endless grey featureless rooms.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
So as a fellow parent, what is a good game along those lines?

I love gloomhaven and descent, but I'm not teaching that to a 6 year old.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Catacombs of Karak is very good for younger kids (my 5yo loves it, as does her 8yo friend). I'm less sure for older kids, but much older than that and you probably could just start playing Descent/Death May Die etc.

Edit :I should add that it's very much just a board game though and not at all D&D-lite. There's no character progression besides gear, no campaign mode or anything, but it's very solid for what it is.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
If your kids are young CoraQuest seems pretty good. My kid (7) absolutely loves it.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Kerro posted:

I'm always absolutely baffled whenever anyone ever recommends the D&D board games (Ashardalon etc) as my experience exactly mirrors yours. It was almost perplexingly boring, the total lack of variance or interest at any point. The fact that they released an entire range of these games and that people seems to like them just highlights for me how individual taste can be as I just can't wrap my head around it (But then I feel that Nemesis is an equally miserable game, for different reasons, and that seems to be very well liked for the most part).

Edit: Also I think you're being unreasonably kind regarding the components, what the gently caress is with map tiles that are just endless grey featureless rooms.

I think those games sold well because it was a reasonably affordable way to pick up a bunch of reasonably decent miniatures for playing real D&D with. And I assume the minis were the components he was talking about, not the tiles.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

SuperKlaus posted:

I seek discussion on balance and good play in Unfathomable. We're five plays in, never played BSG. 2 human wins, 3 hybrid wins, at player counts 4, 5, 5, 5, 6. That win rate balance doesn't look bad, I know, but both human wins were in games with training wheels beginner mode on (all hybrid wins were normal rules except that we accidentally gave everyone 5 cards to start) and even then seemed exceptionally narrow down to seating order of players being the clutch difference. The hybrids felt like they just cruised sank to victory with ease each time, by contrast.

The play group is grumbling that life is much better down where it's wetter. We're considering pro-human house rules. It feels like the game of having the resources needed to pass skill checks and ward off Deep Ones is, while not impossibly difficult, much too difficult to withstand the game of half of the play table being dedicated to opposing success, lurking for a chance to card-spam-torpedo a really brutal crisis and then wreak havoc as is opportune.

Responding to a post from a few months back to maybe start some discussion back up on Unfathomable. I had my first play of this today. It is a great game. Everyone had fun with it. But all of us thought it seemed really hard for the humans to win. Our revealed traitor(and me, the non revealed) didn't have to do much of anything for the victory. Now, just one game under my belt, so I don't want to make any proclamations, we don't know what we don't know.

So a couple of questions for discussion now that some more time has elapsed and maybe some of you have more plays in:

Are there good human strategies for this game that players could be employing to improve their chances at success?

And then even with that, is the game slanted towards the traitor and should we make some adjustments for future plays?

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Our group is also having a similar experience (five or six traitor wins, zero human wins), but we also remember our Battlestar experience which went from us thinking the Cylons were OP to the humans winning most games unless the Cylons played close to perfect over the course of many games over the years.

We’re gonna give it a few more playthroughs — right now we think we haven’t been utilizing the fuel room anywhere near enough, given that fuel seems extremely difficult to lose.

Aerox fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 3, 2022

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Just got :science: Cosmic Frog! :frogdowns: Now to convince everyone to play a mean game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

Kerro posted:

Catacombs of Karak is very good for younger kids (my 5yo loves it, as does her 8yo friend). I'm less sure for older kids, but much older than that and you probably could just start playing Descent/Death May Die etc.

Edit :I should add that it's very much just a board game though and not at all D&D-lite. There's no character progression besides gear, no campaign mode or anything, but it's very solid for what it is.

Descent 2e was ok with my 6 year old (now 7) with me as the overlord, but we then tried it co-op with the app and it was a huge success. Way faster and less setup too. We’ve now been doing Jaws of the Lion and so far so good, around 3 missions in, bur I think it hasn’t captured his attention as much as other games.