Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
if I'm lucky enough that my specific B350 board gets a Ryzen 5000-compatible BIOS update, how much of a performance uplift might I see going from an i5-10400 to an R5 5600X?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

shrike82 posted:

I haven't been following recent AMD chip news - what's the line-up for this year?

I have a workstation/gaming PC (3960X + A6000) that I'm thinking of putting in a closet and replacing with a standalone gaming desktop.
Should I just get a 12700K + 4090 or does AMD have something on the horizon that would be competitive with Alder Lake?

5800X3D should launch fairly soon, Zen 4 sometime late this year. No reason to pull the trigger on a 12700K if you're going to be waiting for a 4090 anyways.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

gradenko_2000 posted:

if I'm lucky enough that my specific B350 board gets a Ryzen 5000-compatible BIOS update, how much of a performance uplift might I see going from an i5-10400 to an R5 5600X?

honestly not a massive one iirc

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Klyith posted:

If you stop running whatever thing you're running in the background so your CPU is actually idle, you'll see much lower voltage.

edit: Also stuff like MSI GAME MODE™️ is often stupid, but not actively dangerous. The stupidity is because they're inefficient and often run the CPU hotter than needed, not because they destroy CPUs. But really, if you're paranoid about what is ok for a CPU and what isn't, why not just leave it stock?

hrm. i've been off having other fun windows adventures so i haven't had a chance to do this until now, this is the voltages ryzen master displays at stock without PBO even being on

just discord and steam running and steam isn't doing anything and i'm still getting that high voltage. is that normal?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

CoolCab posted:

hrm. i've been off having other fun windows adventures so i haven't had a chance to do this until now, this is the voltages ryzen master displays at stock without PBO even being on

just discord and steam running and steam isn't doing anything and i'm still getting that high voltage. is that normal?

I asked multiple times about this here when 3000 series launched and I got 3700X and no-one would even try to answer so I think it's normal.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Normal.

What did Gigabyte do recently?

redeyes fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 27, 2022

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

CoolCab posted:

For a ryzen running at 3.5ghz, 1.4V is normal. The thing that's not normal is how on a supposedly idle system it is still running at 3.5 ghz and no cores are sleeping. Voltage and clock speed are directly tied together in these CPUs. If your clock is never dropping to a true idle, the voltage will always be high.

This is what an idle CPU looks like:

The voltage is way down because the CPU is running at 400 mhz and half the cores are asleep. I can grab the scrollbar in firefox and flick it around wildly and the CPU still doesn't ramp much past 1 ghz (and peak voltage goes up to like 1.2V). To make it run at 3+ ghz I have to actually do something like start a new program or whatever.

Something is keeping your CPU ramped up. I dunno if it's actual background load, mobo OC settings that didn't reset, or what the gently caress. Are you using the custom power plan by 1smus or whatever his name is? Use the "AMD Ryzen Balanced" power plan that came with the chipset drivers.

You can safely ignore the EDC gauge being red, that must be a reporting fuckup from the mobo or something because it's just plainly wrong. Your CPU is not consuming 200 amps.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Could a defect be responsible?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
hrm, definitely isn't a load

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
and that's with ryzen balanced going latest chipset drivers etc, yeah. hrm. i think it's the bios somehow?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
wait lmao why is windows only seeing six cores, gently caress

e: lmao is that what game mode does in ryzen master WHY ARE ALL GAME MODES A TRAP lol

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

CoolCab posted:

WTF.

In Ryzen Master click on the bars in the "Cores Section" to expand everything. You should have 2 CCDs with six cores each on a 3900X.

God drat, maybe you got a counterfeit CPU? That would be amazing. Do you still have the box & packaging it came in? There's a sticker on the outside of the box with a hologram and like serial # / QR code stuff that you can verify on AMD's website.

CoolCab posted:

e: lmao is that what game mode does in ryzen master WHY ARE ALL GAME MODES A TRAP lol

The "Creator Mode" and "Game Mode" in Ryzen Master are just default profiles that have names pre-filled in. They don't actually do anything if you haven't set them -- out of the box all 4 profiles are just the defaults.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Klyith posted:

The "Creator Mode" and "Game Mode" in Ryzen Master are just default profiles that have names pre-filled in. They don't actually do anything if you haven't set them -- out of the box all 4 profiles are just the defaults.

see that's what i thought, that they were like afterburner presets. no it seems like game mode turns off half the cores (think it reduces you to 6/12) and i think it's done something to the voltage since it's dropping to like 1ish but it's still mostly 1.4? lesson learned!

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

redeyes posted:

Normal.

Probably something that helped their margins or whatever and pissed someone who knows better off? At this point it shouldn't be a surprise that the Gigabyte/ASUS/ASRock/MSI take shortcuts with regards to boards under a certain price, where as consumers (especially vocal enthusiast consumers) demand better value for the price point they feel they can afford. Below $150 there are definitely shortcuts taken, and $200 boards are currently the line where consumers generally are supposed to feel "safe" in regards to buying something that isn't compromised.

The problem is that $200 price point might become $250 next gen, and $300 the gen after that...

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
https://www.anandtech.com/show/11726/retesting-amd-ryzen-threadrippers-game-mode-halving-cores-for-more-performance/17

Is this still accurate?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

CoolCab posted:

That's "Legacy Compatibility Mode" in Ryzen Master, which disables the cores in one of the dies. You can see it on in the screenshot. The Game Mode preset in Ryzen Master automatically has that mode on. Ironically it can make some older games run faster (just like disabling SMT), but for a 5900X, I would never ever use it for daily use. Defeats the purpose!

Here is my 5950x at idle, all stock:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

CoolCab posted:

see that's what i thought, that they were like afterburner presets. no it seems like game mode turns off half the cores (think it reduces you to 6/12) and i think it's done something to the voltage since it's dropping to like 1ish but it's still mostly 1.4? lesson learned!

Oh poo poo I see now. It doesn't do that for me because I have a single CCD 3700X, so I see no change with that profile on my system.

Game mode disabled 1/2 your cores because being spread across 2 CCDs can cause performance loss. Games are cache sensitive -- they like lots of cache but don't like latency, and when a core on CCD0 needs data from the cache on CCD1 that adds latency. Turning off a CCD prevents that, and very few games really need the extra CPU cores.

I guess something about disabling 1 CCD changes the boost profile and makes it more boost-happy.

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Probably something that helped their margins or whatever and pissed someone who knows better off?

Recently, gigabyte put out a totally defective power supply and was really lovely about their response to it.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Playing a game on my 3600XT (obviously not a full load stress test but it puts a core or two at 4.2GHz) that EDC meter never exceeds 52% of 125 A

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I’m trying to find a way to minimize the power draw of my 3900X on a X570 board at idle including but not limited to PPT tweaks (can I even go down to 40w maybe?), capping VCore below 1V (not even sure if anything would run if I set it to like .3V?) and disabling half or more of the cores. Most of the options don’t seem to really matter much for idle compared to peak usage but I’m trying to not spend more money to save less money essentially (the server I’m replacing has lasted 10 years and sipped 25w + drives and I’d be happy to get to about 35w idle for 10 more years). Basically I’m trying to convert my system to succeed my existing home server and would prefer it to take as little power as possible without having to resort to buying another CPU. I know I won’t get below 25w draw from the wall almost certainly due to chipset power draw as well as PSU efficiency loss, but it’s something I can accept for the manageability features and such. Ideas?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

necrobobsledder posted:

I’m trying to find a way to minimize the power draw of my 3900X on a X570 board at idle including but not limited to PPT tweaks (can I even go down to 40w maybe?), capping VCore below 1V (not even sure if anything would run if I set it to like .3V?) and disabling half or more of the cores. Most of the options don’t seem to really matter much for idle compared to peak usage but I’m trying to not spend more money to save less money essentially (the server I’m replacing has lasted 10 years and sipped 25w + drives and I’d be happy to get to about 35w idle for 10 more years). Basically I’m trying to convert my system to succeed my existing home server and would prefer it to take as little power as possible without having to resort to buying another CPU. I know I won’t get below 25w draw from the wall almost certainly due to chipset power draw as well as PSU efficiency loss, but it’s something I can accept for the manageability features and such. Ideas?

1. Zen 2 desktop CPU is really not the ideal low-power system: the SOC I/O die eats 12-15W constantly. And the mobo chipset is basically another of the same thing. The I/O dies weren't really designed for minimum power use, they were made for desktops & servers.

2. Cutting the PPT down to a lower number will make the CPU consume less power under load, but doesn't really change behavior that much at idle. A home server that sits idle most of the time.

3. Thus, negative voltage offsets to the CPU and SOC will have the most effect for you. Negative voltage offset to the CPU is afaik fairly easy -- the CPU does some compensation by running slower to match the internal power curve. Still need to test the result for stability of course. Lowering voltage to the SOC is not so forgiving. You'll want to run the RAM and the infinity fabric clock slower to stay stable, and test the heck out of it. Corrupting your memory or storage i/o

4. The 3900X has no iGPU and not every mobo will run headless. Have you tested that yet?

5. Honestly you could sell the 3900X + X570 pair, buy something that would consume less power with zero tweaking (5600G + B550 for example), and end up with more money than you started with.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Cygni posted:

GN did a retrospective piece not too long ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igjrJ7qH3_8&t=415s

I've got a Phenom 1 quad and Phenom II dual, tri (!), and quad cores. Need to get a 6 core (and a working AM2+ board) and do a long-post about em, cause i loved the Phenom II.

Winners use 6 cores.

Thanks for this, I was kinda curious how the 1100T box I just replaced with a 5600X stood up. Browsing and some light audio encoding was no problem at all, but yeah games stopped working well, or at all. Hopefully the same way I went from the Tri-Core 720 (with the 4th core unlocked, thanks SHSC!) to the 1100, in a few years I can swap out the 5600X with whatever the top of the line ends up and ride it till it falls apart.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
oh conclusion to my saga: in addition to the game mode trap, i figured it out, check out my now non insane voltages (or possibly just sanely reported voltages)

leaving PBO in "AUTO" apparently fucks it up, you have to turn it on manually in your bios to "ENABLED". a million dumb reddit threads and tips and tricks and that one worked, lol. i am still not sure if it was actually pumping mad volts or it was just a reporting error, something to do with how often the voltage gets polled apparently would misrepresent the true value in some situations, so idk if this fix just tells it to stop switching pbo off and on or something which caused a reported higher voltage or what. but for if anyone else has this problem there you go.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

redeyes posted:

Normal.

Aside from selling a PSU that was also an IED I don't think anything out of the ordinary for motherboard manufacturers.

I have an AM3 and an AM4 Gigabyte motherboard and both have been just fine for me.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Their LGA1700 motherboards have been kinda shaky. They've especially been struggling with DDR5 support, with many of their motherboards being unable to hit even modest XMP profiles.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I feel I should say that on my AM4 board I've been avoiding beta BIOS after a couple serious issues when I did try them out. I don't really trust any motherboard manufacturer at this point, and have my own irrational prejudices from personal experience. Like I tend to avoid ASUS boards due to headaches I had with one or two in the past, even though intellectually I know those were just specific iffy boards and there are perfectly decent ASUS boards out there.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Ah ok. Im currently using a Gigabyte X570 aorus pro wifi which has been pretty good overall. I guess I should check and see if its overvolting my 3900x somehow.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
MSI posted their AGESA roadmap for people trying to wrap their head around BIOS versions, fTPM, and all that nonsense leading up to the CPUs coming out this month.

MSI posted:

Most AMD’s newly launched Ryzen processors will be available on the market in April. Here is the MSI motherboard support list for the new processors and the 1.2.0.6c /1.2.0.7 BIOS plan.

X570/B550/A520/X470 MAX/B450 MAX series:

The current AGESA for MSI X570/B550/A520/X470 Max/B450 MAX series is 1.2.0.6c, which supports the new Ryzen 5000/4000 series processors. Will have AGESA 1.2.0.7 BIOS in May. AGESA 1.2.0.7 is expected to fix the fTPM stuttering issue.

Non-MAX X470/B450 series:

The latest BIOS for non-MAX X470/B450 motherboards go with AGESA 1.2.0.5, which also supports the new processors. There’ll be BIOS update to 1.2.0.6c in April. However we may skip AGESA 1.2.0.6c and go for AGESA 1.2.0.7 for an efficiency upgrade in May.

X370/B350/A320 series:

Current 1.0.0.6 BIOS does not support the new processors, except some A320 motherboards support the new processors with AGESA 1.2.0.5. New BIOS with AGESA 1.2.0.6c will be updated in April. AGESA 1.2.0.6c update will start from 400 series and then 300 series. If the 1.2.0.6c schedule is close to 1.2.0.7 schedule, we may skip AGESA 1.2.0.6c and go for AGESA 1.2.0.7 for an efficiency upgrade.

The AGESA 1.2.0.7 BIOS release will start from 500 series, then 400 Max series, 400 non-MAX series and 300 series.

https://reddit.com/r/MSI_Gaming/comments/ttk746/msi_motherboard_bios_support_list_for_amd_newly/

kliras fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 1, 2022

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

There are some reports of issues (for whatever thats worth) with AGESA 1.2.0.6c, including performance regression. If you arent getting a 5800X3D at launch on :420::okpos: 4/20 :okpos::420:, probably would suggest waiting until the 1.2.0.7 update.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cygni posted:

There are some reports of issues (for whatever thats worth) with AGESA 1.2.0.6c, including performance regression. If you arent getting a 5800X3D at launch on :420::okpos: 4/20 :okpos::420:, probably would suggest waiting until the 1.2.0.7 update.

Yeah everything I've been reading is that the latest AGESA's up to .6b/c are buggy as heck. Performance drops, voltage drops, stuttering issues, etc. Definitely waiting until May for the .7 to drop.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

AGESA 1.2.0.3c seems to be the last non-buggy release by most accounts.

By some lucky download timing I'm on MSI's E7C35AMS.AA0 which was based on 1.2.0.3b. MSI's website says I downloaded this on 2022/03/5-7:59:20, so they must have released the newer, buggier code based on 1.2.0.4 and later quite recently.

I think I'll stay at this version for a longish while unless bugs are reported against it too. BIOS updates are extremely easy to apply but still annoyingly time-consuming since MSI provide no easy means to merge in your settings changes from previous BIOS versions. I take pics of the settings pages and go through by hand and update after each update, not a fun process.

Shelled out the $25 for the Infineon dTPM since I do want the TPM based features and was using the fTPM until a month ago. So there's no need to upgrade on that count when 1.2.0.7 comes out.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

v1ld posted:

Shelled out the $25 for the Infineon dTPM since I do want the TPM based features and was using the fTPM until a month ago. So there's no need to upgrade on that count when 1.2.0.7 comes out.

Hey as a bit of an aside, what features do you get with a dTPM?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Stanley Pain posted:

Hey as a bit of an aside, what features do you get with a dTPM?

Windows features that need a TPM are here: TPM and Windows Features. For me it's mostly Secure Boot and the like, not encryption.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

v1ld posted:

Windows features that need a TPM are here: TPM and Windows Features. For me it's mostly Secure Boot and the like, not encryption.

I’d thought that an fTPM would work for those things too, thanks for the clarification!

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

I’d thought that an fTPM would work for those things too, thanks for the clarification!

Sorry, I wasn't clear: all of those features will work with any *TPM that supports 2.0, which the fTPM in Ryzen CPUs does.

I went to a dTPM to avoid the bios issues in recent AMD releases when the fTPM is enabled, dTPMs are not affected.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

When the fTPM is working as intended I think it just comes down to who/what you trust more, AMD/Intels secure enclave or a dedicated chip from Infineon or whoever

The functionality is the same either way

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Ah cool, thanks for the responses.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Do we think AMD will further compete in price for 5000 series wrt intel 12 series? I want to get something like 5700-5900x but the prices aren’t really that good especially considering 7000 series are close and are rumoured to hit 25% uplift (cache, clock, ipc) Just looking to drop in a 5000 series into a b350 board and ride it out like a sandybridge :sigh:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Micro center has the 5800x for $319 and the 12700k at $359 right now. Prices will probably only go one direction from here…

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

mdxi posted:

For a while there on r/AMD, a bit after the 5000 series CPU rollouts, there was a small-ish but very vocal contingent of people who were reporting weird USB HID layer dropouts.

Of course they didn't describe them that way, but the devices in question were always human interface type stuff, and not something more exotic like a scanner, or USB mass storage, or USB networking dongles.

Anyway, yes, for a while it was being frequently reported, and just as frequently being met with other people responding "we have no idea what you're talking about; all our stuff works just as well as it has for years." I never had any issues like that, but I'm also not using Windows so my USB driver stack is completely different, and it's been a minute since I've seen an angrypost about it.

My assumption was that the problem was some sort of driver regression corner case bullshit, which I further assumed did eventually get fixed since everyone over there pretty much shut up about it :shrug:

Super late reply but this was what plagued my audio interface for a solid year before ASUS released a BIOS that fixed it in one way or another.

I spent months with both Yamaha and Discord 3rd tiers scratching their heads at what was causing the errors and drop outs, because in standard daily use it was fine, but the moment I started streaming on Discord audio got weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

AMD (finally) is adding more midrange parts. Reminder that Zen 3 launched in 2020, lol.

Ryzen 5 5500, 5600 (non-X), and 5700X launched today. Also a 4100, 4500, and 4600G based on Cezanne (Zen 2).

https://hothardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-5700x-and-ryzen-5-4500-5500-5600-benchmarks

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-5-5600-and-ryzen-5-5500-review