Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I dunno, they gave me a conclusion to Samurai Jack and they're also gonna do a conclusion to Metalocalyspe at.....some point....so I can't complain too much. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Let’s get the Venture Bros movie out first and then we can worry about everything else.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

I hear where your coming from, but I think the problem is possibly that they attempted rebrands of Dexter’s Laboratory and Powerpuff Girls and those were, like, objectively terrible cartoons that basically took the beloved franchises and turned them into dogshit. If they brought back Johnny Bravo is 2022, I’m confident they would make every possible wrong decision with the character and he would just be a dumb sexist rear end in a top hat in a way that was never funny instead of being a dumb sexist rear end in a top hat in a way that was mostly funny.

Yeah I trust absolutely no one to reboot old CN properties. Hell I hardly trust anyone rebooting old kids shows in general. I'm glad people like the new Nick movies (personally only watched the Zim one) but I see them as flukes in the ocean of garbage over the years

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
God, 2022 Johnny Bravo would be the worst loving thing. :laffo:

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Yeah I don't really see a way to reboot Johnny Bravo and not get a huge up roar. One of his defining character traits was "unbelievably horny sex pest" and if you took that away then its not Johnny Bravo. I loved that cartoon as a kid but I think we just need to let it stay dead.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The Zim movie was good but I didn't like that it ended in a way that felt like there was gonna be another episode afterwards. I would've preferred if the movie had been a bit more final.

Man I'll never forget how weird it felt when I was younger and watching the new episodes of Dexters Lab and everything was off. The backgrounds were all wrong, the character designs weren't quite right (the dad was especially noticeable) and Dexter's voice clearly a different actor

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Macaluso posted:

The Zim movie was good but I didn't like that it ended in a way that felt like there was gonna be another episode afterwards. I would've preferred if the movie had been a bit more final.

Man I'll never forget how weird it felt when I was younger and watching the new episodes of Dexters Lab and everything was off. The backgrounds were all wrong, the character designs weren't quite right (the dad was especially noticeable) and Dexter's voice clearly a different actor

And every character movement was like “this is just a sprite we are moving around and kind of just animating the legs while leaving everything else motionless” as though that were the whole joke of the show

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly the best episodes of Johnny Bravo revolved more around him being an egotistical but mostly well meaning doofus who got dragged into absolutely ridiculous scenarios and had little if anything to do with the sex pest parts outside of maybe instigating the plot by making him think he could get a woman's attention by doing it

So it probably wouldn't be too hard to bring Johnny back, just give him a girlfriend or something, hell maybe just make it Velma as a nod to the old CN crossover commercials and the crossover episode he had with Scooby-Doo

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I'd rather media companies create new shows rather than constantly dredge up shows that ended two decades ago, honestly.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I'd rather media companies create new shows rather than constantly dredge up shows that ended two decades ago, honestly.

:hmmyes:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I have worried a bit about how not many of the shows that were big when I was a kid have managed to become continuing franchises (at least, none of the ones that weren't already continuing franchises). I think being creator-driven might be at the core of that. If new shows aren't being driven as much by executive mandate, a lot of creators will want to be doing their own thing instead of just recreating something old, and we're only now coming up to the point when people who were kids in the 90s and early 2000s are old enough to have the ambition to reinvent their old favorite shows. And of course, a lot of the creators of 90s-00s shows had a lot of opportunity to move onto other projects instead of circling their old successes.

On Nickelodeon's part, I think them revisiting their old successes is because they don't actually have a lot of talented creators working for them and ready to create new shows. They haven't been fostering much new talent or been receptive to picking up new pilots. Nick really bet a lot of its business on keeping a few successful shows going indefinitely, so bringing back older shows fits into their way of doing things.

Cartoon Network has a great track record of original shows, but not many great successes at doing show reboots or comebacks. The Dexter's Lab redesign was poorly received, Powerpuff Girls ended up being a miserable failure. Courage the Cowardly Dog they did a CGI short and a Scooby movie, I dunno if that will go anywhere. Billy and Mandy I'm not sure how it would go, I feel like shows these days have really distanced themselves from that sort of gross humor. Maybe it means modern audiences are are less receptive or maybe it means there's an opportunity to fill an empty niche. Apparently there was at one point plans for a spinoff starring Fred Fredburger from Billy and Mandy and Cheese from Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends that sounds like a bad idea, but it had a fun name.

There have been a few successes like Teen Titans Go and Ben 10, and outside of Cartoon Network, there's been the new Animaniacs, and the plans for bringing back 90s X-Men, Tiny Toons, the and the Rescue Rangers movie. I don't know how how those are going to go or how the introduction of streaming and decline of the influence of syndicated reruns is going to change things.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lauren Faust ought to be able to write her own ticket right now but for the same reason that she can, she can’t.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BeckySucrose posted:

Look, CN. My life sucks. I had no friends growing up and I spent my entire childhood inside, watching your shows. Now I'm an adult, and I'm worried I might have to go outside and face everything that I've been avoiding. I would rather die than do that. Please help me.

Maybe get help and stop using cartoons and nostalgia as a crutch?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Is that not what SA is for

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I have worried a bit about how not many of the shows that were big when I was a kid have managed to become continuing franchises (at least, none of the ones that weren't already continuing franchises). I think being creator-driven might be at the core of that. If new shows aren't being driven as much by executive mandate, a lot of creators will want to be doing their own thing instead of just recreating something old, and we're only now coming up to the point when people who were kids in the 90s and early 2000s are old enough to have the ambition to reinvent their old favorite shows. And of course, a lot of the creators of 90s-00s shows had a lot of opportunity to move onto other projects instead of circling their old successes.

CN's success at this bit right here can't be understated. A lot of you have certainly seen images like this, I imagine:

While they may not be bringing back the top creator of the show to do an exact retread of their original success, Cartoon Network, especially, has been doing just an incredible job of using shows as incubators to find new talent to bring out new ideas. We don't get "Flapjack 2", but we got Regular Show and Adventure Time, as well as successor shows that went to other networks like Gravity Falls.

I loved the old 2000-era CN shows like Courage and Dexter's Lab and Powerpuff Girls just as much as everyone, but it's probably better to accept that they were products of a given time & place, and trying to recreate that endlessly just ends up with Simpsons syndrome. Better to move on with something new that still holds the spirit of the original.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

limp_cheese posted:

Yeah I don't really see a way to reboot Johnny Bravo and not get a huge up roar. One of his defining character traits was "unbelievably horny sex pest" and if you took that away then its not Johnny Bravo. I loved that cartoon as a kid but I think we just need to let it stay dead.

See, the episodes I remember being the funniest are the ones where Johnny is getting clowned on for his behavior and the episode sort of revolves around how it’s his fault for being the way he is. I have confidence you could make a Johnny Bravo cartoon that effectively kept Johnny the same, but created a world in which we could love Johnny but also make fun of him and highlight that he is wrong.

Macaluso posted:

I genuinely felt confused and betrayed, as though a close friend had lied to me. It was like you tried to explain what Dexter’s Laboratory was to Google translate and it spat out a script. I watched 2-3 episodes but it was absolutely some of the worst tv I’d ever seen. Nothing remotely recognizable as the show I loved.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 2, 2022

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

See, the episodes I remember being the funniest are the ones where Johnny is getting clowned on for his behavior and the episode sort of revolves around how it’s his fault for being the way he is. I have confidence you could make a Johnny Bravo cartoon that effectively kept Johnny the same, but created a world in which we could love Johnny but also make fun of him and highlight that he is wrong.

Please try, and show us the result

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

Granted its been like 20 years since I watched the show, but hasn't that always been the case? All the times I remember Johnny Bravo trying to pick up girls, they all called him a creep/smacked him/used his dumbass nature for some funny cartoon plot. He's been portrayed as goofy, but I don't think his behavior was ever shown as "correct".

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I think it would be fairly easy to do a show like Johnny Bravo in 2022 that was still cute and funny.

I think it might be quite difficult to make a show like that and not have people latch onto Johnny as someone who's doing everything right and is being wrongfully persecuted by harpies who hate his chadfulness.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

drrockso20 posted:

So it probably wouldn't be too hard to bring Johnny back, just give him a girlfriend or something, hell maybe just make it Velma as a nod to the old CN crossover commercials and the crossover episode he had with Scooby-Doo

Okay hold on I'm actually into this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3la82bYtcPg

10-episode mini-series where Johnny tries to win Velma's heart, greenlight it, CN.

Bust Rodd posted:

The world of Johnny Bravo never shied away from the fact that he was wrong for shamelessly hitting on women and he always got his comeuppance for it, but the show also never portrayed Johnny as being a bad guy. I dunno that I could trust a reboot to thread that needle in today's culture and I definitely don't think The Discourse would be willing to let it try.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
btw the best episodes were the Scooby episode (obviously), the James Bond episode and the werewolf episode.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Can’t be overstated I’m sure you mean

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the thing about johnny bravo is that the second season already recognized that the formula could not hold up over the long haul so they retooled the show to make johnny more of a general manchild idiot instead of purely misogynist

van partible came back to do that last season and it just had a weird feeling to it because it undid the previous two seasons but didn't try to iterate at all from the original episodes, so there was like, no growth. and it was not really keeping with the ever changing times, both in terms of rising feminism in america but also just the general humor of the show was getting antiquated, it ended up feeling like a bit of a relic

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 2, 2022

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think the closest thing I could hope for in terms of a modern Johnny Bravo would be something like PC Principal on South Park, like they could make Johnny a bumbling “woke feminist” (who was only woke and feminist to get pussy), so he’s still a loveable dumbass getting slapped by irritated women, but they’re slapping him because he interrupted their viral dance video, not for peeking on them in a jacuzzi or whatever

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Leaning more towards the himbo momma's boy side of Johnny Bravo with him also extremely confident of his own masculinity and less on him being a shallow and shameless flirt. A bit like Cena's Peacemaker. Like, he'd have no problems joining a ballet troupe because he thinks one of the dancers is cute and has no qualms about wearing a leotard and a tutu, but he ends up being a giant primadonna in the middle of it and forgets why he joined in the first place. That sort of idea.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Xelkelvos posted:

Leaning more towards the himbo momma's boy side of Johnny Bravo with him also extremely confident of his own masculinity and less on him being a shallow and shameless flirt. A bit like Cena's Peacemaker. Like, he'd have no problems joining a ballet troupe because he thinks one of the dancers is cute and has no qualms about wearing a leotard and a tutu, but he ends up being a giant primadonna in the middle of it and forgets why he joined in the first place. That sort of idea.

Yeah this, Johnny Bravo is very easily translated into an acceptable character for the modern era. Just highlight the bumbling pretty boy stuff and downplay the sexist stuff. It’s what the better episodes of the original show did anyway.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

So basically Mac without the gay stuff? Okay I can see it.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I would be into that but you just know the "They turned Johnny into a beta cuck!!!" would come immediately.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

MJeff posted:

I would be into that but you just know the "They turned Johnny into a beta cuck!!!" would come immediately.

We literally can not and should not try to create art with this as some kind of obstacle to be overcome. This would happen regardless of the state of the world or modern politics. It should not have to fall on creatives to worry about what the haters will think. They’re haters, they don’t matter.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I should consider taking a look at the TV movie that was made in 2011 of Johnny Bravo called "Johnny Bravo Goes to Bollywood" . Van Partible was the only American on it and it was made for India.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Live action Johnny Bravo played by Cena but it’s also just Peachmaker season 2 sans anything related to capes.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Johnny Bravo but he's on the rough and tumble streets of Kamurocho fighting random people and failing horribly at communicating with women

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Last time I went back to try watching Johnny Bravo, it was surprisingly good, and it's definitely not the same kind of poisonous premise that like Pepe le Pew was. The whole basic bit of pickup line -> slapstick reprisal is dated in more ways than one. I'm not sure if the idea of slapping someone for getting fresh is floating around as much, and slapstick in general is much less popular than it used to be, but the show did get away from that for a lot of the time.

Honestly though one of my favorite parts of Johnny Bravo is that Jeff Bennett is one of my favorite voice actors.

We're coming up on the 25th anniversary of Johnny Bravo too, so that's somethin'. No real idea what Van Partible's been doing since then.

XboxPants posted:

CN's success at this bit right here can't be understated. A lot of you have certainly seen images like this, I imagine:

While they may not be bringing back the top creator of the show to do an exact retread of their original success, Cartoon Network, especially, has been doing just an incredible job of using shows as incubators to find new talent to bring out new ideas. We don't get "Flapjack 2", but we got Regular Show and Adventure Time, as well as successor shows that went to other networks like Gravity Falls.

I loved the old 2000-era CN shows like Courage and Dexter's Lab and Powerpuff Girls just as much as everyone, but it's probably better to accept that they were products of a given time & place, and trying to recreate that endlessly just ends up with Simpsons syndrome. Better to move on with something new that still holds the spirit of the original.

Honestly this might even be understating how many of these people managed to make more than one impactful show. Craig McCracken made PPG, Wander Over Yonder, Foster's, and Kid Cosmic, Lauren Faust went on to make DC Super Hero Girls, JG Quintel made Close Enough, Butch Hartman made at least 3 more shows, Genndy Tartakovsky made Primal, Hotel Transylvania, the other Clone Wars, and Sym-Bionic Titan, and I couldn't even list all the poo poo Seth MacFarlane has made (some of it is even good!). And this all represents a lot more creative work and development than back when Hannah-Barbera was just cranking out new shows and characters never meant to be seen again.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Johnny Bravo but he decided to stay on the Island of Beautiful Men

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Honestly I was kinda hoping that if nothing else came out of Fem!Ghostbusters, the Chris Hemsworth himbo character should have become an archetype that Johnny Bravo could easily have slipped back into.

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

I hear where your coming from, but I think the problem is possibly that they attempted rebrands of Dexter’s Laboratory and Powerpuff Girls and those were, like, objectively terrible cartoons that basically took the beloved franchises and turned them into dogshit. If they brought back Johnny Bravo is 2022, I’m confident they would make every possible wrong decision with the character and he would just be a dumb sexist rear end in a top hat in a way that was never funny instead of being a dumb sexist rear end in a top hat in a way that was mostly funny.

What made Johnny work was that he was a legitimately nice guy deep down below all the machismo, but that same machismo he learned from somewhere keeps loving up his chances with the ladies. The show makes clearly numerous attempts to show this and makes it clear, even if it does violate a bit of show, don't tell that if he'd drop it and talk to women with respect and as himself, he'd fare much better.

Johnny Bravo wouldn't work in the modern days because you'd get dipshits who'd worship the ground he walks on and he'd become the next "anti-sjw chad", even when the show would take points to show how that's a bad thing. Even an episode where he learns his lessons and admits he's wrong would just have right-wing outlets call him a cuck and use that for rageclicks and views about the mythical "pussying of men".

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Tactless Ogre posted:

Johnny Bravo wouldn't work in the modern days because you'd get dipshits who'd worship the ground he walks on and he'd become the next "anti-sjw chad", even when the show would take points to show how that's a bad thing. Even an episode where he learns his lessons and admits he's wrong would just have right-wing outlets call him a cuck and use that for rageclicks and views about the mythical "pussying of men".

I don’t understand how this line of thinking doesn’t just end in “and since we can’t control how idiots will interpret it, we just shouldn’t make art in the first place”. Like, I absolutely do not get why giving a gently caress what the stupidest dipshits on Earth think, since the art would ostensibly not be for them or aimed at them. Like, imagine if Rebecca Sugar was like “I was gonna make Stephen Universe, but CHUDs would just think he was a gay little pussy, so why bother?”

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly the best episodes of Johnny Bravo revolved more around him being an egotistical but mostly well meaning doofus who got dragged into absolutely ridiculous scenarios and had little if anything to do with the sex pest parts outside of maybe instigating the plot by making him think he could get a woman's attention by doing it

I'm convinced there is some weirdo that is obsessed with Velma that is making the decisions for what to do with the Scooby Doo property. Giving her a stand-alone live action movie and a TV show is a very weird thing to do. No way would they let Johnny Bravo date Velma.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean that one goes aaaaall the way back. 1995 ish:

https://cartoonnetworkads.tumblr.com/post/44117376849/6-degrees-of-velma-cn-promo-from-the-early

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

I don’t understand how this line of thinking doesn’t just end in “and since we can’t control how idiots will interpret it, we just shouldn’t make art in the first place”. Like, I absolutely do not get why giving a gently caress what the stupidest dipshits on Earth think, since the art would ostensibly not be for them or aimed at them. Like, imagine if Rebecca Sugar was like “I was gonna make Stephen Universe, but CHUDs would just think he was a gay little pussy, so why bother?”

I agree with you, but the pressures of capitalism are real. If you have a strong company producing NuBravo then it's fine, but if you have someone who's gonna cave to every round of public pressure and who's gonna bend over to appeal to any audience they imagine will make them money, things like this can destroy a show. If Johnny Bravo became a chud icon like certain memes have, I could imagine a world where they just buy into that and try to play it up more and more.

I can't possibly imagine that Cartoon Network would react like that, but I guess I can see where that guy is coming from. Certain producers shouldn't be trusted with certain properties because they'd try to cater to a really ugly crowd.