Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

HopperUK posted:

Just played a couple of hours of Strange Horticulture and it's really lovely. You've just taken over your uncle's plant shop in a world where plants have various medicinal and magical properties. The time period seems to be a sort of indeterminate medieval-Victorian combination. You begin knowing what none of these drat plants are and all you have is your uncle's leftover notebook with a few clues, a map, a cat named Hellebore and a timer that every time it runs out lets you go explore the world. People come to the shop and ask for help and you have to figure out which plant to give them. You get clues to locations for more plants from customers, from the mail, and from mysterious messages that come to you overnight in the form of playing cards with cryptic clues on them. There's an ongoing plot involving brutal murder and a couple of different factions that I haven't gotten very far into yet.

The game feels really nice to play. You can rearrange your plants in the upper part of the window and put labels on them if you want. Everything has very cosy sound effects and it's fun to move your bits and pieces around on the table like in Papers Please. And the cat purrs if you stroke it with your mouse cursor.

Unless the plot really drops some stupid bomb or other, I'm going to enjoy this to the end, I think.

I thought it was really good the whole way through. I only wish there had been more of it, I think it only took me about five hours to beat and I didn't really feel the need for additional playthroughs to see other endings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

lunar detritus posted:

I've been enjoying Weird West so far but the fact that NPCs can sometimes see through walls is literally killing me.

You can do it too :getin: There's a consumable which provides vision of living creatures through walls.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

deep dish peat moss posted:

You can do it too :getin: There's a consumable which provides vision of living creatures through walls.

:getin: that'd solve my main problem with the camera.

Also, the economy of this game is very weird. Catching a guy for a bounty? $100. Selling the dozens of junk items you found on the way? $700
Doesn't help that items respawn when you quick load (and your bombs despawn :argh:)

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Hell, aiming a rifle or pistol in someone's general direction, shows you their health bar and kinda highlights them.
I'm assuming that isn't a bug.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

lunar detritus posted:

:getin: that'd solve my main problem with the camera.

Also, the economy of this game is very weird. Catching a guy for a bounty? $100. Selling the dozens of junk items you found on the way? $700
Doesn't help that items respawn when you quick load (and your bombs despawn :argh:)

Ah, it's got the Witcher 3 economy :v:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Hell, aiming a rifle or pistol in someone's general direction, shows you their health bar and kinda highlights them.
I'm assuming that isn't a bug.

Yeah, it's kind of wonky - If you're inside a building already, you can see anyone and everything through the walls, but to see into a building that you're outside of, you need to either open a window and aim into the window (which gives vision of everyone/every room in the building), or use the consumable (which doesn't provide vision of the interior, just vision of the creatures inside). It may work differently on higher difficulties but :shrug: I started on Hard but it wasn't really 'challenging' so much as it enforced always playing stealthily so I dropped it to Normal.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 2, 2022

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Yeah, it's kind of wonky - If you're inside a building already, you can see anyone and everything through the walls, but to see into a building that you're outside of, you need to either open a window and aim into the window (which gives vision of everyone/every room in the building), or use the consumable (which doesn't provide vision of the interior, just vision of the creatures inside). It may work differently on higher difficulties but :shrug: I started on Hard but it wasn't really 'challenging' so much as it enforced always playing stealthily so I dropped it to Normal.

Oh I wasn't even talking about the window peek mechanic, it's worked for me if I get close to the wall.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

For a game that encourages you to save scum, Weird West really should be better at handling it. Not only items respawn but I just had my bounty teleport through the floor and sit right in front on me. Can't complain because I knocked her out and was able to escape but still.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Are there any hidden time limits on quests in weird west? I see that bounties clearly show how long they're available, but is there anything where its not clearly telegraphed like that?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Anyone have any idea why steam link keeps crashing after 10-20 minutes?

I start it up, it seems fine for a few minutes, almost no lag. Eventually, it starts sputtering on the network connection until it eventually crashes the remote session and then I can't reconnect to Steam.

This happens on both the Steam Link hardware (wired) and also the app on the iPad (wireless). On the ipad, I have to reboot the entire device and then I can connect to steam.

It basically means it's unusable until I can fix this.

eventually I get this on the host:

Failed to parse k_EStreamStatsFrameEvents

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Apr 3, 2022

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

Wiltsghost posted:

I had issues like that with ac valhalla. What fixed it for me was going into nvidia control panel clicking help and then clicking debug mode to on. No idea what that does but it worked for me. Driver issues are such a pain.

I'm not sure if it was this or the version on gamepass finally got updated but no crashes so far! :)

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
e: never mind. The issue I was having resolved

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

lunar detritus posted:

For a game that encourages you to save scum, Weird West really should be better at handling it. Not only items respawn but I just had my bounty teleport through the floor and sit right in front on me. Can't complain because I knocked her out and was able to escape but still.

Yeah I saved while I had two charmed enemies right next to me, and upon reloading they're no longer charmed and they kill me instantly lol :|

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Haha. "Weird" West!

I've received similar amounts of jank in my first playthrough, a failed a quest because I misclicked and didn't realize it until the time ran out. :|

We didn't get the next Thief/Dishonored clone for this? :mad:

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k

It may work differently on higher difficulties but :shrug: I started on Hard but it wasn't really 'challenging' so much as it enforced always playing stealthily so I dropped it to Normal.

I am playing on hard guns blazing I never stealth and it's a lot of fun.

Horses for courses. (though sometimes I seemt to spawn into a map I rode my horse to without my horse and I've just lost $279?? (the cost of that horse that I'll never see again))

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I feel the game would be way better if I could see what's in front of my character. It doesn't even need to be a full third-person mode, just change the camera angle when zooming in and it'd be perfect.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

You can get quite a bit of forward perspective by just moving the mouse up as if you were aiming higher, it generally lets you see most of the way to the horizon. Took me until chapter 2 to realize that :doh: The camera is pretty bad overall

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
The horse disappearing bug is pretty infuriating.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Feels like I should wait for a patch or two on Weird West.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Unlucky7 posted:

Feels like I should wait for a patch or two on Weird West.

I got it from Gamepass, which seems to be a good deal for things that come to Gamepass.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Chopstick Dystopia posted:

I am playing on hard guns blazing I never stealth and it's a lot of fun.

Horses for courses. (though sometimes I seemt to spawn into a map I rode my horse to without my horse and I've just lost $279?? (the cost of that horse that I'll never see again))

You still have a horse and if you leave the map you'll do so on horseback, the horse just doesn't feel like appearing for you at the moment.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Weird West also has a Tactical Mode toggle btw, if you haven't checked your keybindings. Its not bound to anything by default. It'll probably help you not shoot people on accident like the random dude named Shen Zheng who just happened to be hanging out in an outlaw den and destroyed my rep when the shootout happened

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Steam Thread: This too shall gamepass

Sleve McDichael
Feb 11, 2019

~nice~

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Anyone have any idea why steam link keeps crashing after 10-20 minutes?

I start it up, it seems fine for a few minutes, almost no lag. Eventually, it starts sputtering on the network connection until it eventually crashes the remote session and then I can't reconnect to Steam.

This happens on both the Steam Link hardware (wired) and also the app on the iPad (wireless). On the ipad, I have to reboot the entire device and then I can connect to steam.

It basically means it's unusable until I can fix this.

eventually I get this on the host:

Failed to parse k_EStreamStatsFrameEvents

Mine isn't crashing, but I'm definitely getting the network stutter thing and it sucks. I'm thinking it must be a software issue? Mine usually patches itself during the night so I can't really keep an eye on the automated updates.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Just use Parsec.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Weird West also has a Tactical Mode toggle btw, if you haven't checked your keybindings. Its not bound to anything by default. It'll probably help you not shoot people on accident like the random dude named Shen Zheng who just happened to be hanging out in an outlaw den and destroyed my rep when the shootout happened

One of my posse turned a double barrel on my horse, and almost killed it

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

On a similar note: Did I miss it or can't you rebind the escape key to something more convenient? Having to go from E to Escape whenever you enter an inventory screen gets old real fast

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

PerilPastry posted:

On a similar note: Did I miss it or can't you rebind the escape key to something more convenient? Having to go from E to Escape whenever you enter an inventory screen gets old real fast

Right click outside of the container screen, i think that works too.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
Yeah, right-click does the work of Escape in a lot of menus (though not the main menu).

Some other Weird West things I've noticed/figured out that might be helpful to people:
-When you get behind someone to knock them out, hold LMB and you'll transition to carrying the body right away.
-Secret Stash locations: you're looking for a circle of rocks or a painted X on a tree or rock. Some of them can be kind of hard to spot, so zoom in.
-Buy the skinning bag from the tailor as soon as you can. It's only about $60, and lets you skin deer, snakes, bears, and bison - the pelts are used for vest upgrades, or can just be sold off. Related to that, whoever put the "bury" option above the "skinning bag" option in the extended loot menu is a jerk (probably the same guy who put "Handcuff" as the default over "Loot" when checking live bounty targets). You can't skin animals after you've accidentally buried them.
-Save your Dreamer's Vervain when you find them. They're used in at least one side quest where you need 7 of them. The nimp heads might be similar, I haven't found anyone asking for them yet, but I've been hanging onto them just in case.
-If your horse starts wandering around making it impossible to use the saddlebags, try saving and reloading.
-Most of the random encounter locations seem to have a crate/chest or a buried treasure spot somewhere. I've gotten a few golden aces and nimp relics from those areas.
-If you die, the popup doesn't allow E as accept like almost every other menu/option in the game. I assume this is a bug that will be fixed.
-Someone asked earlier about time limits, and I think as long as the quest doesn't specifically have one, it'll wait around for you to get to it. I'm occasionally dipping into the main quest (just finished up with Mayor Weeks) and even though it seems urgent, nobody cares that I take days or weeks between steps.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Apr 3, 2022

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I know you have to play the game like six times as the separate characters, how different do they play from one another and does the progression carry across through the whole campaign?

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Patrick's Parabox is wild. Multi-recursive sokoban puzzles are in a league of their own. There have been so many interesting puzzle games lately. Baba is You, Room to Grow, Solas 128... A real golden age for puzzle fans.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Mordja posted:

I know you have to play the game like six times as the separate characters, how different do they play from one another and does the progression carry across through the whole campaign?

I'm still Bounty Hunter Jane Bell, Legend of the West, so I don't know much about the rest of the game yet, sorry. From previews, one of the other characters can turn into a werewolf. The Perks screen does mention something about perks being remembered between characters so I think there's some consistency, but I don't know how much will transfer. I'm saving a couple of Nimp Relics (skill points) in case those carry over, because I have all of Jane's "character" skills, and a few weapon skills that have served me pretty well (MVP so far has been Sentry Silencer for rifles).

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Blattdorf posted:

Patrick's Parabox is wild. Multi-recursive sokoban puzzles are in a league of their own. There have been so many interesting puzzle games lately. Baba is You, Room to Grow, Solas 128... A real golden age for puzzle fans.

thanks for mentioning these, I'd missed all of them :cry: except Baba of course. If you've got any other recs for puzzle games, lay 'em on me, I loving love puzzles.

My wishlist is officially bigger than my actual games library. Perhaps this is a sign to be less cheap

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

We have a puzzle games thread with lots of recommendations.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Playing Bayonetta on PC for first time, drat this game still looks great for however old it is. The game/gameplay is also batshit crazy in the best possible way. I know people compare to DMC due to the director but scale kinda reminds me of God Of War/Asura's Wrath but with deeper combat like DMC(maybe not as deep).

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ulio posted:

Playing Bayonetta on PC for first time, drat this game still looks great for however old it is. The game/gameplay is also batshit crazy in the best possible way. I know people compare to DMC due to the director but scale kinda reminds me of God Of War/Asura's Wrath but with deeper combat like DMC(maybe not as deep).

play Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance and/or The Wonderful 101

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

play Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance and/or The Wonderful 101

Ya I put Wonderful101 on my wishlist after playing this for a few hours, I already have Revengence but haven't played it yet.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Play Revengeance first. W101 is surprisingly long.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Blattdorf posted:

Not exactly a puzzle game, but I finally jumped into 5D Chess With Multiverse Time Travel and it's hilariously mind-blowing. My first game saw black open up the first parallel dimension by sending his *king* into the past. Resulting in the original dimension having a black board with no king, and an alternate dimension where he had two. I replied by sending my queen across that dimension where I now had two queens. Then proceeded to mate him with said queen. I thought I was being clever by putting his second king in check from a spot where if he moved, that would put his first king in check, so he would have been forced to block my queen with the nearby pawn and I could work out from there, but no. My move was actually a checkmate because not only did it put his second king in check in the present, my queen was also putting this king's past in check, and the pawn block would only block the present. :psyduck:

edit: added full game screenshot, and I was mistaken: I used the original queen, not the time traveller.

FishMcCool fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

ultrafilter posted:

We have a puzzle games thread with lots of recommendations.

Oh gently caress yeah, ty

FishMcCool posted:

Not exactly a puzzle game, but I finally jumped into 5D Chess With Multiverse Time Travel and it's hilariously mind-blowing. My first game saw black open up the first parallel dimension by sending his *king* into the past. Resulting in the original dimension having a black board with no king, and an alternate dimension where he had two. I replied by sending my queen across that dimension where I now had two queens. Then proceeded to mate him with said queen. I thought I was being clever by putting his second king in check from a spot where if he moved, that would put his first king in check, so he would have been forced to block my queen with the nearby pawn and I could work out from there, but no. My move was actually a checkmate because not only did it put his second king in check in the present, my queen was also putting this king's past in check, and the pawn block would only block the present. :psyduck:

edit: added full game screenshot, and I was mistaken: I used the original queen, not the time traveller.

Whenever I make the mistake of thinking I’m a smarty pants something like this comes up and my brain just goes “gently caress no” lol. I’d totally watch someone play this but I think playing it myself would break me.

Edit: it’s tagged psychological horror lmao and the reviews are loving hilarious so I feel a little better