Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I wonder if you could use that advantage offensively, if you knew ahead of time what it was. Hopefully they never do it again, but as a "lose your vote until arbitrary conditions are met" device seems like if you could get the right rival to stumble on it, they could lose their vote power long enough for you to do something. Get the feeling we will get more double edged idols but maybe drop the corny phrase thing, so any "beware" kind of idol could be a weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
In interviews with Xander and Liana from last season, they said that Xander said it a couple times then the producers told them 'you know what, actually you don't HAVE to say it every time'.

Probably because they realized how crazy it actually sounded to keep talking about broccoli or whatever.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I'm just getting caught up with the show and this thread, and I am so glad someone else was annoyed by this. There had better be some sort of penalty beyond not getting to vote. I liked Mike at first but find myself rooting against him because selectively ignoring downsides in a "hey don't open this thing unless you accept the downsides" advantage isn't great.

This feels very much like a hate the game not the player situation. Production is letting him do it. He's trying his hardest to navigate entirely new advantages and I can't fault him for finding an angle. I do hope that production is being even handed about it.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Chili posted:

This feels very much like a hate the game not the player situation. Production is letting him do it. He's trying his hardest to navigate entirely new advantages and I can't fault him for finding an angle. I do hope that production is being even handed about it.

Yeah, Ive got absolutely nothing against Mike here. I actually assumed it was fine because there was another clause involved, like 'you must say x to activate the power of the idol' or 'in order to regain your vote you must say x'. If not, and it's worded to imply you have to say it no matter what, then I'm glad the producers are ignoring it because requiring people to say stupid poo poo in front of everyone on penalty of disqualification is lame as hell.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I liked the repeated lines as a goofy television thing but the Beware Idol ending up as a very public advantage was not a good consequence.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i dont know where everyones getting the idea the phrases are mandatory

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i dont know where everyones getting the idea the phrases are mandatory

Well production has given 0 information to the viewers about it accept for this... which is a photo of the clue that says they must say it...

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm glad the editors finally figured out it's ok to not show us every event in chronological order (loved the reveal they did with Naseer's idol last season too).

I really have to disagree with this. I don’t like being kept in the dark on stuff like this because I always felt that half the fun of watching the show was knowing little things like that that the other survivors might not have pieced together yet. Seeing someone say “X” and sitting at home like “Oh poo poo they don’t know Y” and watching the situation develop until they find out was great, and the new “selective” editing is just meant to red herring the viewer into believing one thing so they can have an explosive “reveal”.

I feel like it’s an evolution of the situation where there’s a person who’s obviously going to be voted off but they make sure to mention a “maybe” alternative to keep the last 15 minutes of the show exciting. They want to create narratives instead of letting the viewer watch them unfold for themselves, so they edit out important information to save these Deus Ex Machina “twists” for all the important moments.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
For people with boring storylines like Swati, they probably have to rely on editing tricks like that in order to really illustrate why they're going home.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Well production has given 0 information to the viewers about it accept for this... which is a photo of the clue that says they must say it...

Oh! Yeah this is what I was talking about; that doesn't read as mandatory to me. "This is how you will know: You must say... etc."

Don't say it, and you won't know.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think the usage of "must" in that note is ambiguous enough that the message probably needed to be clarified.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

It says at the next immunity challenge, not every immunity challenge. Didn't he say it once?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It's bad

They won't do it again though now that the cat's out if the bag to new players

It would have been much better if they just had to say an unusual word one time like rutabaga or wheelbarrow

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
there should never be that much text on a survivor idol, unless it's a poem clue or some bit of theming history when they still tried that.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

blue squares posted:

It says at the next immunity challenge, not every immunity challenge. Didn't he say it once?

he hasn't said it at all, he's waiting for the other two triggers to be said to not give it away, and I think ideally he doesn't want to say it at all so nobody outside his allies even knows he has it since they just become full idols at the merge

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

The phrases on this season are different. Last season's clue says the idol becomes dead if it's not activated at the merge, but this season they all become active at the merge regardless? I assume they edited the rules slightly after reaction from last season.

It's slightly covered, but you can see the end of Mike's clue is different from last season:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
lol yeah the way it's written to me reads as:

In order for your idol to have power, the other must have been found. That's it, once all idols found, the idol activates. There's no reason to read further, nothing there stipulates further requirements. The ones they drop afterwards feel unrelated, they're in the subsection about "how you will know" which is... an obtuse way to sort out if anyone else has found them or not, it should activate itself. At worst you should get to boot hand find out you suddenly have your vote back once all three found.

Really could've worded it much clearer to their intentions. As it stands -> you only "must" say it the next time after you read it. Says other players will reply... but doesn't say you must or will reply if they say theirs. Honestly it being an option to just never say phrase, accept dead vote until merge for an idol advantage post is more interesting.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Lydia noooooooo

https://twitter.com/lydia_meredith/status/1511018672357199872?t=nzlCJe_D2tWiuc1SFHqkfg&s=19

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
What do you mean "no" that post rules

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

*sweating profusely* uhh there's hotter rats????

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Studio posted:

*sweating profusely* uhh there's hotter rats????

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

im coming for your top spot studio

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Can anyone explain why the survivor subreddit is currently obsessed with and rooting for Daniel?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Nihonniboku posted:

Can anyone explain why the survivor subreddit is currently obsessed with and rooting for Daniel?

most relatable contestant left I assume

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

He does kind of fit a common trope of like the Kass type player who just plays so hard and chaotic. That was always popular although its so common in today's Survivor it doesn't seem special.

But yeah, its probably just that on a diverse and mostly likable cast reddit connects with the libertarian rear end in a top hat.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Reddit loves a dumbass and probably think he's playing some grand 4D chess game and isn't just an idiot who torched his entire game in under a second.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I don't care who wins I just want Tori gone. I don't usually have a negative reaction to contestants but I cannot stand her.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Nihonniboku posted:

It's tongue in cheek because you know, it's daniel.

https://i.redd.it/lah5su9s3xr81.jpg

STONE COLD 64 posted:

im coming for your top spot studio

:slick: :slick: :slick:

good luck catching this

:slick: :slick: :slick:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Yeah I wouldn't read too much into it, it's a joke because Strunk is a funny name. They were just as appalled as this thread was at his piss-poor negotiating skills at Tribal a couple weeks back

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

All you need to know about Daniel is that he was on Jeb!'s campaign back in the day.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Narcissus1916 posted:

All you need to know about Daniel is that he was on Jeb!'s campaign back in the day.

I love this because it's the most apt description possible of Daniel.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Narcissus1916 posted:

no wonder his shoulder dislocated so easily

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
He’s the embodiment of a wormy little College Republican

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The thing I keep coming back to is that he’s the guy who lost someone else’s idol and then was like “I never even had it” and then was like “oh I guess I did, whoopsie”.

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

Was he trying to steal the idol, or is he just a stupid man?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

This is a guy whose first line in an attempt to save his ally was "I will fold under the slightest pressure". He's incredibly stupid.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I liked when his tribe was like, "Daniel can talk circles around us, he's a lawyer!"

Really?

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

They should have let him bring his paralegals and support staff.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

If the family visit was this season do you guys think Jeb! would come visit Daniel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Rox is so annoying