Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

boop the snoot posted:

Lewis winning Australia confirmed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Entrez là Monsieur Louis le marquis du Larbalestier

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
It's really hard to predict what will happen with mercedes because it sounds like the car is fast but the porpoising is so bad that they are forced to set up the car to combat that rather than trying to unlock their pace. Supposedly they are rolling out a new floor for australia. If they can get the porpoising resolved then they could become a lot quicker overnight but that's a big if.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Merc is clearly investing time into this design they have and will recover over the course of the coming races.

I expect them to have a dominant rocket again from the start next year due to lessons from this year.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Phil Collins is the world's full stop.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Engines are locked after one development change iirc?

awwww now I've just remembered that bullshit with those stupid development tokens

(newbros: this development era, just after Mercedes managed to luck out and nailed the new hybrid engines first time, forced upon the sport by Clare William's constant whinging when they were being treated as the Mercedes second team, which meant Honda, Renault and Ferrari didn't have a hope in hell of catching up on development arguably till this year's reset.)

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Zedd posted:

Merc is clearly investing time into this design they have and will recover over the course of the coming races.

I expect them to have a dominant rocket again from the start next year due to lessons from this year.

They am poo poo.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Trust #ElPlan

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Charles Leclerc posted:

They am poo poo.

For now, this is the year of the glorious Scud Buds.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

a pipe smoking dog posted:

even when he was driving a completely dogshit McLaren.

sounds like hes a p good driver op

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I still think it's this new bio fuel. Shell have been with ferrari for donkey's years, Petrous are relatively new, and this is Red Bull's supplier's first year in the sport. We saw during that frucking stupid tokens era what happened when Mercedes had fuel with secret poo poo added to it that customer teams did not, and I would not be surprised in the least if it was shell that managed to nail this one and Red Bull's is making the engine explode.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Zedd posted:

For now, this is the year of the glorious Scud Buds.

I have to say I’m kind of on board for the dominance of Scuderia Chuck, except for when Toto The Great fixes the porpoising halfway through the season and Louis VIII ascends the throne which will be a better outcome

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

learnincurve posted:

I still think it's this new bio fuel. Shell have been with ferrari for donkey's years, Petrous are relatively new, and this is Red Bull's supplier's first year in the sport. We saw during that frucking stupid tokens era what happened when Mercedes had fuel with secret poo poo added to it that customer teams did not, and I would not be surprised in the least if it was shell that managed to nail this one and Red Bull's is making the engine explode.

Petronas have been on cars at least since 1996 or 1997, and involved with Mercedes since 2010, so that’s not nothing. Also I thought Red Bull were still partnered with Mobil?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

learnincurve posted:

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

No fuel trickery will be as good as the very legal 2019 Ferrari engine performance.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

*watches the Mercedes violently oscillating up and down as a result of bad aero design for several races*

gently caress this must be because they went from 5% ethanol to 10% ethanol in their fuel

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

ethanol posted:

He’ll already got 3rd in a poo poo midfield car

3rd out of like 11. Not sure it’s that impressive when the 2 engines ahead of you decide to just die

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

italian quid posted:

*watches the Mercedes violently oscillating up and down as a result of bad aero design for several races*

gently caress this must be because they went from 5% ethanol to 10% ethanol in their fuel

Fuel density! Its not balasting them as it used to!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

italian quid posted:

Just stiffen the suspension to ridiculous levels. Porpoising solved, obvs

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
Lewis can def win a race this year simply because Leclerc and Verstappen will almost definitely crash eachother out at least once.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Lucasar posted:

Lewis can def win a race this year simply because Leclerc and Verstappen will almost definitely crash eachother out at least once.

He still has to get through Big Terri.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Hamilton won a race in 2009 in a McLaren that started much worse off than where this Mercedes is. And I suspect Mercedes already identified what they need to do to get the car behaving better.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

skipping 500 posts to say: gently caress it, im a haas main

someone buy me a guenther steiner avatar. or ideally probe me with his gorgeous italian face

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

watchmen_do_it.jif

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Deltasquid posted:

3rd out of like 11. Not sure it’s that impressive when the 2 engines ahead of you decide to just die

they went car racing

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Lucasar posted:

Watch future WDC Checo get a 3rd win before Sainz gets a win.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

learnincurve posted:

I'm with quid on this one:

italian quid posted:

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
I hope this year goes so bad for Mercedes that Lewis retires and Russel battles Max for the throne of “gigantic whiny pissbaby”

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I love the “Mercedes has sorted it out. Just wait until we see the car next. They’ve sorted it out now, just wait. It’s just the porpoising, they’ve got it figured out. It’s the most powerful car, just need one change before next race…”

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I forget exactly what Frank Dernie said about porpoising but I seem to recall he felt it was a pretty fundamental failure in the ground effects design of a car. If thats true I have a hard time seeing Mercedes pulling themselves out of that hole this season, especially if the packaging of the engine is a constraint on the design.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Rebus can you explain what in the gently caress is the rational between the stupid steering wheel inertia bullshit because I really don't loving see it.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Skim Milk posted:

skipping 500 posts to say: gently caress it, im a haas main

someone buy me a guenther steiner avatar. or ideally probe me with his gorgeous italian face

Earn your probe

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Meanwhile, somewhere in Grove, work begins on next season's Williams F1 car...

italian quid posted:

Rebus can you explain what in the gently caress is the rational between the stupid steering wheel inertia bullshit because I really don't loving see it.

Ain't broke don't spend £££ on it when there are glaring problems elsewhere that would have a measurably better impact on car performance?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Skim Milk posted:

im a haas man

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I love the “Mercedes has sorted it out. Just wait until we see the car next. They’ve sorted it out now, just wait. It’s just the porpoising, they’ve got it figured out. It’s the most powerful car, just need one change before next race…”

You say that but Harper mentioned 2009. Hamilton had like, 5 non-points finishes in a row then won the race after.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

I'm an Haas man
Yeah I'm an Haas man
YEAH!

I love to love 'em
I love to kick 'em
I love to shove 'em
I love to stick 'em
Love to flaunt 'em
I love to watch 'em
I love to pick 'em
And I'm gonna kick 'em

Cause I'm an Haas man
Yeah I'm an Haas man
Yes I'm Haas man
HAAS!
I'm an Haas man!

So many Hasses
So little time
Only a tight one can stop me on the dime
I'm a lover of every kind
The best surprises always stick up from behind

Cause I'm an Haas man
Yeah!
I'm an Haas man
Yes I'm Haas man
Haas!
I'm an Hass man

Buns of glory
Buns of steel
Your Haas will give away the truth of how I feel
You walk behind me I feel the heat
Thats why the girls dont walk behind me down the street

Cause I'm an Haas man
Yes! I'm an Haas man
Yes I'm an Haas man
HAAS!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Guenther performing a pump-handle slam before Micki hits someone with a steel chair

BAH GAWD!

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Apparently Red Bull and Mercedes both have cheaty front wings that open to reduce drag on the straights.

Pretty funny that Merc might be cheating but are still poo poo.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

As usual it falls on the good lads at Maranello and Woking to preserve the integrity of the sport

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Apparently Red Bull and Mercedes both have cheaty front wings that open to reduce drag on the straights.

Pretty funny that Merc might be cheating but are still poo poo.

It's all still perfect F1 engineering. "What, your regulations prevent us to create a Y250 in 2022? Well....yeah, that's our new wing stabilizer. Yeah, it's ten times the size than last year, with clearly aerodynamic influence, we just want to make sure nothing bad happens. What about the vortex tunnel entry? No that's no barge board. We just want to make sure everyone is safe.".