Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Great Beer posted:

They do but if cobalt is controlling it's weapon with a contactor instead of a speed controller it may have fused together from the power running through it. Gigabyte/Invader had this issue in season 2 or 3 and shut down filming for nearly an hour while the batteries died.

Ohhhh, interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Any word about post-season stuff this time around or can I go ahead and cancel my discovery+ sub after next week

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

Any word about post-season stuff this time around or can I go ahead and cancel my discovery+ sub after next week

There were several teams that said they were only there to compete in Bounty Hunters, but no official word from Discovery about it. I think it was Perfect Phoenix and Big Dill who said they didn't compete in the fight cards at all but did do a Bounty Hunters tournament.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Yeah, there's going to be six Bounty Hunters episodes again.

Also MINOTAUR LET'S loving GO! My entire household was on their feet for that match, one of the all time great BB fights.

I also audibly cheered when Tantrum threw Rotator out with like 10 seconds to go.

Whiplash got screwed.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Minotaur or bust now let's go

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Minotaur seemed to intentionally use gyro to help it escape Endgame at one key moment. I am floored by how good the driving was there.

Interesting that driving seemed absolutely key in multiple fights this season.

But also, RIP my bracket.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Bushido Brown posted:

Minotaur seemed to intentionally use gyro to help it escape Endgame at one key moment. I am floored by how good the driving was there.

Interesting that driving seemed absolutely key in multiple fights this season.

But also, RIP my bracket.

Casually flipping itself over while power sliding through the short corner was super impressive.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Feel bad for the guy that had to clean up the box after Uppercut

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Oh wow, what a rough/unlucky way to exit for Whiplash

Really wish they showed that fight

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Never thought I'd see an action movie style blade lock on Battlebots, but Endgame and Minotaur had one

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

That one wheel gyro maneuver was sick nasty :krad:

Go Minotaur

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004
For as much as that talk about how amazing drivers both mattie vasquez and jameson go are, daniel frietas should be talked about in that list more. That fight and the control he had over his bot was top notch.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
If Hydra ends up winning the whole shebang I'm going to laugh so much

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
I've said it before but I'll say it again: Minotaur has one of the best teams around, and Frietas is a top-tier driver, if not the best.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Minotaur still took a beating in that fight

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
P1 just announced a hiatus to develop a new bot

Tankbots all throwing in the towel

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Front forks should be forbidden next season.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

evobatman posted:

Just don't repair the Battlebox between seasons. Let all the forks turn into a huge liability.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

TheJadedOne posted:

For as much as that talk about how amazing drivers both mattie vasquez and jameson go are, daniel frietas should be talked about in that list more. That fight and the control he had over his bot was top notch.

I remember they were hyping him as a great driver back in the ABC era, just Minotaur finally worked out its kinks after its upgrades. Like very few drivers would be able weaponize their own gyroscopic forces but he does it like it's natural.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Yeah, Minotaur's driving really stood out in that fight.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Minotaur was insanely destructive in the ABC years, it's just had some major reliability problems that seem to have finally been worked out, and Freitas has always been the top driver in town.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Daniel Freitas and Matt Vasquez are family favourites at my house. This episode was the highest highs and the lowest lows. I'm super excited for the next round of matches.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ante posted:

P1 just announced a hiatus to develop a new bot

Tankbots all throwing in the towel

Looks like someone else has been doing some retooling in the offseason as well

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

TheJadedOne posted:

Minotaur's driver just channels his spirit into the robot instead of controlling it like an RC car so it's not quite the same.

What a crazy amazing episode, though. And such a shame about Whiplash.

PITT
Sep 21, 2004
MISTER

PITT posted:

I think its Copperhead's year.

edit: part of me thinks the non-televised fights don't contain the champ though because theater. :tinfoil:

:negative:

So Cobalt loses its next bout.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

PITT posted:

:negative:

So Cobalt loses its next bout.

You've reminded me of your idea that Copperhead's first fight wasn't televised was because they had to make room for a fight with the champ in it. And that Witch Doctor-Mammoth fight absolutely 100% did not need to be televised. And if you had to recap 2 fights why on earth would that fight make the cut? And the robot we absolutely know Witch Doctor can't beat just got knocked out.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

PITT posted:

I said the same thing when they started to show the non televised fights, like wtf let us watch the good ones and not fluff.

I think its Copperhead's year.

edit: part of me thinks the non-televised fights don't contain the champ though because theater. :tinfoil:

I could see it not being the case for a fight that is probably pretty controversial for the teams for Discovery to just put it on YouTube and not spend as much time going over the rules with the viewers.

Seems like an interesting judge decision considering the rules would let the bots get unstuck and continue fighting. But because Cobalt was broken and unable to stop it's active weapon, they went to the judges decision where Cobalt won...

But also, I don't see Cobalt winning the ground game against Tantrum and probably is unlikely Cobalt would win that fight. Also Tantrum is likely able to get hit by Cobalt a few times and keep going.

Even though they lost, Black Dragon is now 18 fights into it's Battlebot's career and has never been knocked out... loving crazy!

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

But because Cobalt was broken and unable to stop it's active weapon, they went to the judges decision where Cobalt won...

So here's the thing - that's not what happened:

quote:

What happened during the fight was this.

Matt pushed Whiplash into the corner, knowing that Whiplash was crabwalking enought to not be counted out. Once Whiplash had been shoved against the side of the shelf, Matt spun Cobalt back around. When Cobalt spun the right side gyroed upwards, and when it dropped we were high center on either some shrapnel or the floor. A moment after Whiplash twitched into the shelf then stopped moving. At that moment no one was sure what was going on other than Whiplash was not moving and neither was Cobalt. They then paused the fight.

Trey went out to see what had actually happened to the robots and see if an unstick was needed. We shut Cobalt’s spinner off before Trey entered. Trey determined that there was probably an unstick needed but insisted on turning off the bots, something that had never happened before in previous unstick or even possible unsticks that had happened previously in the season.

When attempting to shut off Cobalt, Trey could not shut off the weapon as there was some debris blocking the switch. What we had told Trey which was not heeded, was that our weapon and drive switch are linked, so the drive switch could’ve been shut off which would have powered down the whole bot. At no point was our spinner stuck on. Trey decided to simply count the whole thing as a double KO, and did the KO as seen filmed.

The judges then did something I had never seen before this season, and actually entered the box to inspect the bots. The decision was then rendered as a split decision for Cobalt.

At no time did we not have control over Cobalt’s weapon. Forcing a shut off before an unstick had never happened before that season. Despite clear communication on how to shut off Cobalt it was not done. Also Battlebots had control over the fight being highlighted and highlighted it for a reason, which will make itself apparent in time.

Maybe things will be more clear once the fight is released on Sunday?

PITT
Sep 21, 2004
MISTER
It will be pretty funny if both of Aren Hill's bots are going to fight each other, im 99.999% sure Tantrum will win its next one, so its either Hydra or Blip.

I feel the champ will be decided between the next fight with Minotaur vs Witchdoctor.

PITT fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 2, 2022

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

DarklyDreaming posted:

Never thought I'd see an action movie style blade lock on Battlebots, but Endgame and Minotaur had one

There were a ton of cinematic moments. I loved when Tantrum came back to life just in time to move out of the way of a charging Rotator and olé'd it into the barricade. Great episode.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

is pepsi ok posted:

There were a ton of cinematic moments. I loved when Tantrum came back to life just in time to move out of the way of a charging Rotator and olé'd it into the barricade. Great episode.

That fight made me so happy. I love Tantrum and Blip, they're both such nasty little robots. It's refreshing to see some robots that aren't one-punch wonders as well.

Esoter1c
Jul 18, 2007
Do you know me?
That was a great episode, definitely some upsets.

Spreadsheet updated. Slick goku ran away with his bracket this week.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12K6qBzCbkdF1-wGOQmVQ3MxARZjrrTCnGfsCm17rx9c/edit

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Esoter1c posted:

That was a great episode, definitely some upsets.

Spreadsheet updated. Slick goku ran away with his bracket this week.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12K6qBzCbkdF1-wGOQmVQ3MxARZjrrTCnGfsCm17rx9c/edit

Pretty cool you're doing the spreadsheet. Also I forgot what I even put on my bracket and seems I got 7 out of 8 right...

Probably should be a bit more conversation about Riptide after that last episode though. Uppercut is a pretty strong bot & team, but Riptide made them look like Overhaul.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Nooo, End Game and Rotator in one episode?! I'll need a new favourite team now..

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.
Freitas' driving, if on purpose (which I totally believe it was given how effortlessly he uses gyro forces to self-right) was bananas.

evobatman posted:

Widen the killsaw slots by 1/4"

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Pararoid posted:

Nooo, End Game and Rotator in one episode?! I'll need a new favourite team now..

It it wasn't already Minotaur then what the gently caress. And if it's not Minotaur now then gently caress You.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Probably should be a bit more conversation about Riptide after that last episode though. Uppercut is a pretty strong bot & team, but Riptide made them look like Overhaul.

I think Sawblaze is a really tough draw for them

We've never seen Riptide come out with enough of a ground game to contend with Sawblaze's numerous fork/plow options

I respect their wins so far, it's just hard to envision that fight as anything other than them getting rammed around the arena, probably on the same anti-spinner plow Sawblaze used against Minotaur

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

PupsOfWar posted:

I think Sawblaze is a really tough draw for them

We've never seen Riptide come out with enough of a ground game to contend with Sawblaze's numerous fork/plow options

I respect their wins so far, it's just hard to envision that fight as anything other than them getting rammed around the arena, probably on the same anti-spinner plow Sawblaze used against Minotaur

Yea. I honestly don't see too many bots being a match for Sawblaze. Jamison Go is a loving A+ driver with a really good control bot that can also do damage...

I guess also there is a real good chance there is a Sawblaze & Minotaur rematch...

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Yea. I honestly don't see too many bots being a match for Sawblaze. Jamison Go is a loving A+ driver with a really good control bot that can also do damage...

I guess also there is a real good chance there is a Sawblaze & Minotaur rematch...

All this being said, Sawblaze will have to be careful with its hanmer saw against Riptide. Hit that eggbeater drum wrong and it gets ripped off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
So I finally broke down and got Discovery+ in order to watch that last episode in its entirety. (My wife likes DIY poo poo and hate-watching bougie idiots on HGTV, so that sealed the deal.)

It was great to bottom, but I feel bad for Vasquez and Whiplash. They got done dirty. Like, I get why the fight was called off the way it was but it just happened to victimize them when they were ten seconds from certain victory. What a way to go.

My 7-yo daughter is now hooked too. She had watched some bouts on YT with me before, but she watched this whole ep with me. She has been talking about what she wants to do when she grows up over the last few weeks, but she has never given a full-throated answer. It just seems to be on her mind a lot lately. At the end of that ep she said:

"I want to kill robots for a living."

I told her that these people do lots of other things between matches, like engineering and construction.

"I guess I could build robots too," she said. Then she ran roaring around the room in imitation of Daniel Frietas.

:allears: