Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

FishMcCool posted:

Have these people never been underwater?

The only thing they understand being underwater in is their finances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

It's time for reddit's annual /r/place... experiment? game? gimmick? whatever

Anyway if you're not familiar with /r/place because you have a fully functioning brain, it's a limited time thing where every reddit user can place colored pixels on a big collaborative canvas. Users can draw "over" each other, so it almost always results in some weird subreddit-on-subreddit combat, for example the members of /r/unitedkingdom are currently trying to "colonize" the space occupied by the trans pride flag because of course they are.

In earlier years, /r/starcitizen was able to maintain pretty decently sized logos:

Currently the stickied thread for coordinating placement on /r/starcitizen is 8 hours old, with only 16 replies, most of which are trying to figure out which spot will "let" them put a star citizen logo in place.

quote:

Yeah, we just moved it to the left of the Turkish flag. Turns out there's a huge community behind that one!

quote:

What about the blue corner next to the Eminem logo, the green lettice above Ori or somewhere in the among us cursed corner?

Will /r/starcitizen be able to rally its forces to push for victory in this, the dumbest game imaginable? Only time will tell!

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
When do I get my submarine that I paid for even if they haven't conceived of it yet?

That river can't be more than fifty feet deep so that rules out submarines.

Next up: PT Boats so you can never get out of the boat again.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
So, are we excited for Riverine Navy JPGs yet? Which aliens are the space vietnamese?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://giant.gfycat.com/RaggedHonorableCormorant.mp4

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

"The less people know, the more stubbornly they know it." - Osho

Is this you?* Replace "general" with "game developer". All other details apply.

^(\spoiler: this is you)*

Pro tip: unless you have (a) extensive relevant experience and (b) inside knowledge not available to everyone else on how things are being managed within CIG, you do not have any actual evidence to back up your opinion, at all. It is, simply, an uninformed opinion, based mostly on emotion.

It is far more likely that the scope, scale and complexity of the game simply takes this long. In fact, the concept of Occam's razor supports that the reason for something is often the simplest of all the options. The idea that 600+ people are all in on a "grand scam" or, even more laughable, are collectively awful at their jobs (what are the odds? don't tell me the odds!) is far more complex than is needed to explain the development timeframe.

Further, all the extensive evidence in terms of hours-long gameplay discussions from the devs continually supports that it simply is complex and difficult to deliver a game with this much ambition, scale and breadth. Four quarterly releases a year, many with significant updates like 3.15 and 3.17, further demonstrate the a lot of continual progress is being made.

If you think anyone is reading your comments as anything other than an uninformed, emotional opinion, you're suffering from confirmation bias and the false consensus effect.

quote:

Occam's Razor is the principle of not putting something down to complexity which can be put down to simplicity.

So your point would boil down to the Dev team being a group of people who aren't up to the task of delivering a game by virtue of it being too complex for them.

Which sort of backs up what OP is saying because telling someone you are going to do something, taking their money, and then not delivering (whether you mean to or not, is indeed fraudulent - in the UK it is technically theft as defined by S1(1) and S1(2) of the Theft Act 1968.)

For what it's worth I don't agree with either your point or the OPs. Dumping $1000+ on a promise is blind stupidity, but defending non-delivery "because it's complicated, yo" is equally as blind

quote:

No, that would require several COMPLEX things to happen; human resources and hiring managers would all have to be collectively awful at hiring 600+ bad employees. The extensive, years-long evidence via videos, interviews and showcased game tech would have to be deeply faked as it shows skilled resources, immense passion and details on the underlying complexity, and demonstrates that broad ineptitude doesn't exist on this project; the reality of meaty, consistent quarterly updates would have to be a "miraculous anomaly" - based on the inane concept of "we are successful in spite of our inability!".

NONE of the evidence on hand supports any narrative other than the simplest one: the game is complex and a group of intelligent, skilled and passionate developers are making great, continual progress against the context of that reality.

The absolute simplest answer is: the community doesn't understand the development process, doesn't appreciate the complexity and depth of the project, and has no patience.

That is 1000x more likely than any other explanation. It's also 100% true.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

quote:

the reality of meaty, consistent quarterly updates

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I love it when people pose a rhetorical “what’s the most likely answer here” and then just start making up probabilities and shoving aside conditions. I wish I could do that poo poo at work instead of actually having to do stats.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
If you hire 600 of the smartest people on Earth and tell them to invent time travel the problem isn't who you hired.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

marumaru posted:

"trying to revive my dead acting career"
lol; lmao

having my daughter say "you need to take care of you first" to me on film

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Popete posted:

If you hire 600 of the smartest people on Earth and tell them to invent time travel the problem isn't who you hired.

Right obviously the answer is that time travel is just very complicated!

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

trucutru posted:

Oh, and here is a full fly-over the place that'll introduce years of gameplay. Period!

https://v.redd.it/9tpkr7wjyuq81/DASH_480.mp4?source=fallback.gif

I know this has been harped on a lot, but man that looks dated. It's like Playstation 3 era graphics... and not even good PS3 era graphics.

I really think the video is so "swoopy" to try and hide how bad everything looks.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Mendrian posted:

Right obviously the answer is that time travel is just very complicated!

It appears you don't understand time travel.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
PROCEDURAL BIRDS TO 60

https://i.imgur.com/2C525Xs.gifv

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Viscous Soda posted:

I know this has been harped on a lot, but man that looks dated. It's like Playstation 3 era graphics... and not even good PS3 era graphics.

I really think the video is so "swoopy" to try and hide how bad everything looks.

The funny part for me is how they're trying to simulate a flight model with the debug camera, because their actual game doesn't even have one

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Mirificus posted:

One of the most anticipated features of 3.18...Coffee! Star Citizen #Shorts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_i3ux_LnLM

Looks good for a mere 10 years of development and figuring out how to make animations run.

Can't wait to see from beyond the grave what it will look like in 69 more years.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

trucutru posted:

I have been informed by the backers that the lake is the endpoint of the river so you dumb goonie cuntiflas ignoramus.

Behold the bottom of the lake in all its glory!

https://v.redd.it/4w1k4moc7wq81/DASH_480.mp4?source=fallback.gif

Monocle cat will be ecstatic about the fidelity.

This guy is rushing through too much rover content.

Really he should have just stood at the edge and waited, and watched, then ended. Another session could be dipping in his toesies into the water.

Never should have went full-in until at least 6 months later. This guy is wrecking the content delivery system and is not able to enjoy a proper video game. :black101:

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

Colostomy Bag posted:

It appears you don't understand time travel.

Well you see, we have time travel t0, where they spend a lot of money and nothing happens. So obviously they are traveling forward in time.

So naturally traveling back in time will come in future patches.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
When nobody is looking I will just slam one of these babies

right in the middle of that stupid river

And privatize the whole drat thing. I'll even use the deluxe 8x8 Geotack-X planetary beacon. I'll be king of space Riverrun.

e: Man, this thing has been going for so long that Kelos Costigan is no longer imperator. Also, I can't believe that my real-life land deeds are not signed by the president. No joke, I would love to have that Trump signature in there.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 2, 2022

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

trucutru posted:

Oh, and here is a full fly-over the place that'll introduce years of gameplay. Period!

Not bad for a Cities:Skylines map.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

trucutru posted:

Forget spaceships! This game is redefining the meaning of immersive sci fi!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Like, couldn't they at least have had the flyover from the cockpit of a spaceship??

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I'm no CIG imagineer, but I feel like the view from the cockpit interspersed with a few quick exterior shots of a flying spaceship, maybe with some characters smiling and pointing at things to see would have really sold it.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beet Wagon posted:

It's time for reddit's annual /r/place... experiment? game? gimmick? whatever

Anyway if you're not familiar with /r/place because you have a fully functioning brain, it's a limited time thing where every reddit user can place colored pixels on a big collaborative canvas. Users can draw "over" each other, so it almost always results in some weird subreddit-on-subreddit combat, for example the members of /r/unitedkingdom are currently trying to "colonize" the space occupied by the trans pride flag because of course they are.

In earlier years, /r/starcitizen was able to maintain pretty decently sized logos:

Currently the stickied thread for coordinating placement on /r/starcitizen is 8 hours old, with only 16 replies, most of which are trying to figure out which spot will "let" them put a star citizen logo in place.

Will /r/starcitizen be able to rally its forces to push for victory in this, the dumbest game imaginable? Only time will tell!

Now that the canvas has doubled in size both SC and E:D have managed to gain a foothold on the upper right side. Not as big as Oyasumi Punpun (Everybody should read Oyasumi Punpun!) but, then again, that's to be expected.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
Next Up -> Submarines! --:> Boomers, Attack Subs! Evade the enemy in a fifteen foot deep trench with a blue texture! Hunt your enemy with constant pinging that can't be shut off but it sounds cool!

.random
May 7, 2007

trucutru posted:

Now that the canvas has doubled in size both SC and E:D have managed to gain a foothold on the upper right side. Not as big as Oyasumi Punpun (Everybody should read Oyasumi Punpun!) but, then again, that's to be expected.

This is very dumb but I did appreciate people trying to change it to STOR CITIZEN.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

trucutru posted:

You should see today's Star Citizen Live show!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x1KxC4-QR8

sick custom forest how much taht run u

it looks like the ground poo poo its pants though

like really bad liquid dookie status

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Applewhite posted:

I'm no CIG imagineer, but I feel like the view from the cockpit interspersed with a few quick exterior shots of a flying spaceship, maybe with some characters smiling and pointing at things to see would have really sold it.

Every marketing video has to be 1-2 seconds quick cuts of ships flying because anything longer than that exposes how janky and awful the flight model is. Easiest to just not show the ships actually flying.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Please, actual gameplay shots are false truths. Non-gameplay FMVs speak to the deeper reality - they are false truths - superior in every way.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Representative of a Doobie's Dog

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

https://twitter.com/Michael26085163/status/1508832811708469260?s=20&t=lKW458O8NH3CRNoIOYTh-A

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_refunds/comments/tuxt2z/i_need_help_changing_the_name_to_scam_citizen/

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Tier 0 space helmet.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Plan R posted:

Next Up -> Submarines! --:> Boomers, Attack Subs! Evade the enemy in a fifteen foot deep trench with a blue texture! Hunt your enemy with constant pinging that can't be shut off but it sounds cool!

Does CIG still do those videos with totally original character do not steal Jerremy Clarckson?

For submarines they could do one with Baldwin and Connery from Hunt for the Red October, dumping lavish praise on the space sub's incredible features, can't be detected, faster than bla bla bla...

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Star Citizen is so old they brought back Squats before they even hit Alpha

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Star Citizen is so old they brought back Squats before they even hit Alpha

That's quite the feat.

Still, that's great news for those GW bastards. I'm going to buy poo poo form them again I guess...

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

thios guy owns actually

smuggest asss grin ever, he knew what he was doign lmao

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Viscous Soda posted:

Yeah, games like Horizon Forbidden West (or poo poo, Horizon Zero Dawn) just absolutely dick all over this supposed graphical powerhouse that is only possible using cutting edge PC graphics.

Their only claim to fame, gone like the wind. Or it would be if any Star Citizen enthusiasts had played any games since Wing Commander.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Even the rivers is in the other lumberyard game, noted shitfest New World look stunning compared to this Bryce 3D looking horse poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

But do those games have an entire giant planet and universe that you can't possibly interact with in any meaningful way? Huh? Do they?