Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Rohan's biggest problem is that there is so, so much of it. They spent two years repeating the same stories in the same environments. Gondor by comparison feels really breezy, there's way more variety with no areas overstaying their welcome and you're back off the book-beaten path doing things instead of cleaning dishes and watching the important people talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

What made Rohan such a huge, boring slog was that it was basically a single zone stretched out and made to fill two whole expansions.

East Rohan:

1. Go to <quest hub>.
2. Talk to the thane in the mead hall.
3. Prove your mettle by performing 6-12 cookie-cutter quests for random citizens.
4. Do a final instanced quest.
6. Repeat

West Rohan:

1. Run minor errands for Éowyn.
2. Repeat

This isn’t even getting into the mounted combat, which was a great idea on paper but gets extremely annoying about 10 seconds into the first tutorial quest.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Comrade Koba posted:

What made Rohan such a huge, boring slog was that it was basically a single zone stretched out and made to fill two whole expansions.

East Rohan:

1. Go to <quest hub>.
2. Talk to the thane in the mead hall.
3. Prove your mettle by performing 6-12 cookie-cutter quests for random citizens.
4. Do a final instanced quest.
6. Repeat

Honestly this is a problem even pre-Rohan. I've got a character stalled out in Dunland and it's just non stop go to village, talk to village head person, kill some poo poo or get some boar butts etc, move on. Reminds me a lot of the procedurally generated radiant quests in Bethesda games.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Honestly this is a problem even pre-Rohan. I've got a character stalled out in Dunland and it's just non stop go to village, talk to village head person, kill some poo poo or get some boar butts etc, move on. Reminds me a lot of the procedurally generated radiant quests in Bethesda games.

Yeah, don’t even get me started on Stunland. If I ever hear that guitar strumming again I’m going to have an anxiety attack.

What makes Rohan worse IMO is that the Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V:ing of quest hubs is so much more lazily done.

West Rohan is better, but also ends up making you feel like an unimportant bit character just observing all the important events from the book.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Comrade Koba posted:

95-105 is Gondor, which didn’t get a formal expansion of its own. AFAIK it was all released as a series of quest packs available from the LotRO store.

The Gondor content in general is supposedly way better than the Rohan stuff, but someone else will have to confirm that as I literally got started on it only yesterday.

Gondor has multiple areas that you'll hit in order as part of the epic quest:

Western Gondor: Bay of Belfalas/city of Dol Amroth
Central Gondor: a lot of smaller towns, a set-piece battle in Pelargir that's the most popular big battle to run through for rewards
Eastern Gondor: mostly Osgiliath, aka Stalingrad-on-the-Anduin
Minas Tirith: the largest city in Middle Earth and before the 64 bit client the destroyer of everyone's gameplay thanks to the game literally being unable to render the entire city
Far Anorien: where you prepare the way for the Riders of Rohan to save the day and meet the Wose, proof that SSG is hellbent to put into the game literally every crazy thing Tolkien put in the books
Pellenor Fields: absolutely the best set-piece battle in the game, it's exactly as epic as you'd expect from the movies and really well done
Ithilien: follow along with Aragorn as he marches to Mordor to personally kick Sauron's rear end
The Wastes: where, with Aragorn, you arrive at Mordor and find out the "personally kick Sauron's rear end" plan needs work

This is all really great content - the main problem is that SSG decided for the vast majority of it they weren't going to raise the level cap beyond 100, so you will outlevel it almost immediately. Luckily, being higher level than expected will help quite a bit in Mordor where the difficulty level jumps up significantly, but for most of this you're going to want to ignore most side quests and just concentrate on the epic.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 23, 2022

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Comrade Koba posted:

The Gondor content in general is supposedly way better than the Rohan stuff

From what I remember of it, it is, but that's a low bar to clear. Of the content I played and remember, I'd rank them best to worst as:

Moria
Mirkwood
Shadows of Angmar
(Western) Gondor
Helm's Deep (only because some of the HD fights were fun with friends)
Riders of Rohan
Transition from P2P to F2P and the increased monetization efforts
Isengard

I still need to get back to this and play Minas Morgul/Moria/etc though. Going from Moria/Mirkwood to Isengard is very, very jarring though.

xZAOx posted:

- The final questline concludes after you finish this huge grind to rebuild a town (I think it's a minimum of like a month?).

I thought it was just a big side quest with some cosmetics and it had zero impact on the Epic questline? I honestly don't remember what the ending was aside from you rebuilding a thing.

I also was tempted to rate Helm's Deep higher solely because when it came out there was a bug that caused my Captain's mounted combat skills to cooldown super fast. Like the big AOE nuke on a 1 minute(?) cooldown was up every 4-5 seconds and the big single target damage skill was spammable, so I was able to solo those raid-side warbands in about 1-2 minutes (unless they had a bunch of ranged damage) and melt any regular or elite-tier enemy for quests. :black101:

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 23, 2022

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Hah, when I posted earlier, I almost griped about something when I realized "wait no, that's Dunland, not Rohan". Every hub in Dunland is "we don't trust you! You're lying!" *do a bunch of work* "Okay we trust you now. You should talk to the next town." and it's literally the exact same thing, like 5-6 times. it's the only zone I remember being actively annoyed with, and I've done every zone except Gundabad stuff (because I haven't bought it).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Cyrano4747 posted:

When I rolled up my champion years ago I over-leveled them in Mirkwood (started at 61-62 due to running lots of Moria content) and Enedwaith sufficiently that I went from Enedwaith to the pre-Rohan zone by Lothlorien and completely skipped Isengard on them. It was absolutely, 100% worth it. Spent more time in the best parts of the game and skipped the absolute worst.

I also had a bunch of teal level 60-65 gear from places like Warg Pens that I loaded with my Captain and tossed to the Champion and due to the stat allocation those items remained better than anything that you could find/craft in Riders of Rohan as well, iirc (and you'd just replace them with higher level versions eventually).

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

xZAOx posted:

Hah, when I posted earlier, I almost griped about something when I realized "wait no, that's Dunland, not Rohan". Every hub in Dunland is "we don't trust you! You're lying!" *do a bunch of work* "Okay we trust you now. You should talk to the next town." and it's literally the exact same thing, like 5-6 times. it's the only zone I remember being actively annoyed with, and I've done every zone except Gundabad stuff (because I haven't bought it).

the uch-gwirod requires us to give welcome to duvodiad

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Lum_ posted:

these are desperate times for the rohirrim

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Comrade Koba posted:

these are desperate times for the rohirrim

but it is the "row-he-reem" or "ro-here-um" version?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I really don't want to solo these instances, but it looks like nobody wants to do Inn of the Forsaken lmfao

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I thought that was one that required multiple people because of like some puzzles or something?

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Multiple people helps but pet classes or killy classes can solo much of it. My loremaster got buried in a tide of skeletons but my warden made it to the final boss and got wrecked by it.

It also requires multiple runs to get all the deeds IIRC.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
My Hunter also made it to the end of the Inn of the Forsaken and got wrecked by the final boss.

That's when I decided no more instances.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
yeah, a lot of the level 50 epic quest instances have similar issues. Sure you're bolstered into godhood and can kill anything, but it doesn't help when the nimrod NPC you're supposed to keep alive yeets herself into a group of 6 NPCs and holds aggro on all of them

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

I still contend that they could do some moderate tweaks to mounted combat to make it acceptable.

The easiest is to increase the turn rate of horses across the board by 20-25%. That alone would make it less like ice skating and generally make the warhorses controllable enough to even use as a regular mount (which right now you basically don't do unless you are only planning on going forward and never turning). Lately, I've also settled on the idea that they should make it so that when you turn, your horse loses speed, which inherently would also increase the turn rate. But yeah, right now the warhorse turning is basically Rohan Drift even on the light horses that have the best turn rate so it becomes go forward, do attacks, maybe slow down and turn, do another pass. It's tedious at best.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Cutedge posted:

I still contend that they could do some moderate tweaks to mounted combat to make it acceptable.

The easiest is to increase the turn rate of horses across the board by 20-25%. That alone would make it less like ice skating and generally make the warhorses controllable enough to even use as a regular mount (which right now you basically don't do unless you are only planning on going forward and never turning). Lately, I've also settled on the idea that they should make it so that when you turn, your horse loses speed, which inherently would also increase the turn rate. But yeah, right now the warhorse turning is basically Rohan Drift even on the light horses that have the best turn rate so it becomes go forward, do attacks, maybe slow down and turn, do another pass. It's tedious at best.

There are LI relics which literally do that, increase the turn rate, and I can confirm they make things much better in navigating around.

Unfortunately, bridle LIs can't actually be improved right now as a result of their last systems change, so if you haven't slotted those relics already then rip.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
i remember a lot of circling things on horseback while throwing fireballs at them, not sure if i was mounted combatting correctly. can confirm that the bridle and skills on a light horse helped a lot.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

The issue (well one of them) with riding isn't even the weird turning, it's the Initial D drift mechanic. I'm not sure if anyone who worked on the system has ever ridden a horse in their life or watched someone ride a horse.

Kaysette posted:

i remember a lot of circling things on horseback while throwing fireballs at them, not sure if i was mounted combatting correctly. can confirm that the bridle and skills on a light horse helped a lot.

Yes, there was no reason not to just kite everything (and to skip the warbands that had archers since those would just gently caress you up immediately).

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

I was one of the few people that actually really enjoyed mounted combat in Rohan, annoys me that they did worse than abandon it, warsteeds are essentially just worse than regular mounts once you get out of the Rohan area, a monster looks at you in Mordor and you get dismounted, while you can just zip on by on a regular horse. Glad I didn't spend $100s on warsteed cosmetics, only bought the champion appearance since they weren't account bound. (which was another annoyance)

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

The concept of mounted combat and warsteeds was cool as hell, making your mount more unique with unlockable colors/bardings and a separate leveling track with associated traits was a great idea and apart from the chocobo companion in FFXIV I don’t think any other MMO has tried it (but I could be wrong).

It’s a shame that the only thing that was so lacking in execution was the actual combat. The fact that nearly all quests involving mounted combat are literally just “chase down 10 mounted orcs” didn’t help much either.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I've been taking a lot of (mostly) landscape screenshots. I really enjoy the aesthetic of the game.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Any chance there are goons on landroval still organizing?

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
define “organizing”

there are goons in landroval. the guild chat is usually dead. there’s a nice guild mansion in belfalas paid up to 2040 or something. if you mean getting groups there’s not enough on for that and the level range is very spread out, so your best bet is the LFF channel

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

I’m on Landroval and from the looks of it there’s at least a handful of people in the goon guild that log on (almost) every day?

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Yeah mostly just looking to join up. Beregorne in game

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"

ILL Machina posted:

Yeah mostly just looking to join up. Beregorne in game

I've got a couple level 10s and could level up with you. Same thing has been stopping me from playing. Let me know when you start up or shoot me a PM.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Oh I've been around. Not really trying to level particulary quickly. This is my third or fourth go around and I think I'll lock and alt up before I hit twenty so I can do yondershire at level. Not feeling rushed, but I'm looking forward to the new content. I did the leg servers to fifty when they launched and played through moria but not much further when turbine originally went f2p. Haven't seen rohan or Gondor before. Just been grinding leaves for festival stuff.

Holy crap the plugin compendium and managers are so nice compared to the old days...

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Is it normal for SSG to take their time with support tickets? I've had a ticket open for the past 3 days with no response.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Freakazoid_ posted:

Is it normal for SSG to take their time with support tickets? I've had a ticket open for the past 3 days with no response.

I got a reply on March 10th to a ticket I opened on December 27th.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Freakazoid_ posted:

They've publicly talked several times the past, I dunno, 6 months or whatever about issues staffing CS. They're very, very behind.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
How is that possible? They only manage two games!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Freakazoid_ posted:

Old MMOs have their staff cut down to the bone in order to basically keep them chugging along and providing a modest profit to whoever bought them for that exact purpose.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
The bigger problem I think is employment issues due to the pandemic. CS is a good remote work job, most wages have went up, so finding good people for a d-tier mmo that probably doesn't pay much and has archaic support tools and you get told "we have months off backlog" on day one...

Yeah, them having trouble with it makes sense. Especially when the role doesn't directly generate profit, typically.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Freakazoid_ posted:

If their support is all staffed in-house it's probably one of the lowest priority positions their HR team is hiring.

If they work with a BPO for their support needs then either they have a bad contract or they aren't getting enough of a budget to scale the vendor's team to their ticket volumes.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Sorry to bring this up again but how does one get an invite to the kin these days?

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Got pretty excited for the April changes so I logged in to putz about for a bit today. Saw my banks full of tradeskill poo poo and immediately froze.

How important are tradeskills or are they at all? I think I burnt myself out last time leveling them all as I messed about. I've got friends that agreed to try this out again with the April changes to the F2P but I'll be drat if I want to even farm that kind of stuff.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Aragorn sent me to Evendim to get something to help reforge Narsil and the views from the coast are beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Givin posted:

Got pretty excited for the April changes so I logged in to putz about for a bit today. Saw my banks full of tradeskill poo poo and immediately froze.

How important are tradeskills or are they at all? I think I burnt myself out last time leveling them all as I messed about. I've got friends that agreed to try this out again with the April changes to the F2P but I'll be drat if I want to even farm that kind of stuff.

You're probably better off just harvesting metal and/or lumber near you as you adventure and selling it at the AH, then using the money to buy levelling gear off the AH or paying a crafter to make it directly.

I think the only crafts that actually matter in the endgame are cook and scholar, since they mainly make consumable buff items.