Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I'm soon to move house and had been planning on getting a full Ubiquiti setup with:

- Wifi APs
- G3 cameras
- Doorbell
- Dream Machine Pro

However it seems that literally nowhere has stock of the cameras any more - no models in stock at any retailers at all, with nobody able to say anything beyond "place an order and you'll get them when you get them".

I had been drawn to Ubiquiti by the software interface, the fact that storage is local but can be viewed on mobile or similar, and that the doorbell integrates with it. With this in mind, are there any other manufacturers that provide similar but whose products aren't purely the stuff of myth and legend?

I'm looking to get 3 cameras, 1 doorbell, 3 APs, I want them to be PoE, on all the time and local storage, ideally with no subscription fee. In the UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Schlage Encode Plus is available for order on Home Depot.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Schlage-Camelot-Aged-Bronze-Electronic-Encode-Plus-Smart-Wifi-Deadbolt-BE499WB-CAM-716/318246453

e: :lol: it's out of stock already right after I placed my order

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I'm soon to move house and had been planning on getting a full Ubiquiti setup with:

- Wifi APs
- G3 cameras
- Doorbell
- Dream Machine Pro

However it seems that literally nowhere has stock of the cameras any more - no models in stock at any retailers at all, with nobody able to say anything beyond "place an order and you'll get them when you get them".

I had been drawn to Ubiquiti by the software interface, the fact that storage is local but can be viewed on mobile or similar, and that the doorbell integrates with it. With this in mind, are there any other manufacturers that provide similar but whose products aren't purely the stuff of myth and legend?

I'm looking to get 3 cameras, 1 doorbell, 3 APs, I want them to be PoE, on all the time and local storage, ideally with no subscription fee. In the UK.

I'm in the US but yeah pretty much everything has been out of stock for 9+ months now, it seems to be getting better lately though. I see several hundred G3 Instants pop up per week but they go really quick. I sent you a PM to the Discord that has in stock notifications.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

fletcher posted:

I'm in the US but yeah pretty much everything has been out of stock for 9+ months now, it seems to be getting better lately though. I see several hundred G3 Instants pop up per week but they go really quick. I sent you a PM to the Discord that has in stock notifications.

Thanks for that, I will keep it running just in case - though my issue is that thanks to our stupid populace voting to leave the EU I'd have to pay import duty on stuff from the UI store!

Since posting I've been looking around and questioning if I would get one of the low end cheap things like Reolink but I'm finding the lack of clarity around compatibility reminds me of what drove me to Ubiquiti in the first place. It would be less than half the price, but I'd have to figure out the APs separately (been working in networking over ten years but ... I hate wifi) and get a Nest doorbell.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Schlage Encode Plus is available for order on Home Depot.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Schlage-Camelot-Aged-Bronze-Electronic-Encode-Plus-Smart-Wifi-Deadbolt-BE499WB-CAM-716/318246453

e: :lol: it's out of stock already right after I placed my order

I checked one of my burner accouunts this morning and saw it was available so meant to thank you for linking to the page way back. Hopefully mine isn't too big physically to work on the door I have in mind. And maybe it will integrate with HA, eventually :)

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is there a go-to battery-powereed motion sensor that uses ZigBee or Zwave?
My goal is to stare at a few sets of windows and stuff where I can't just use magnetic contact and trigger actions if there's motion in armed away mode.

I've seen this AeoTec ones, but not sure if there are others.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Hed posted:

I really like this for electric baseboard heat.

https://shop-us.getmysa.com/products/mysa-baseboard

I have these and they're very nice and easy to use and you can group them too since you have more than one usually.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Anyone have a RainMachine or Rachio ?
Do you know if it’s possible to block out a certain day but still have the rest be automated based on weather, etc?
Thanks.

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Apr 1, 2022

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xgalaxy posted:

Anyone have a RainMachine or Rachio ?
Do you know if it’s possible to block out a certain day but still have the rest be automated based on weather, etc?
Thanks.

Rachio does this specifically for local watering restrictions.

That said, the effectiveness for the Flex daily schedules go down the more days you block off.

I have my drip and lawn zones on a different schedule since my city watering restrictions don’t include drip.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Thanks for that, I will keep it running just in case - though my issue is that thanks to our stupid populace voting to leave the EU I'd have to pay import duty on stuff from the UI store!

Since posting I've been looking around and questioning if I would get one of the low end cheap things like Reolink but I'm finding the lack of clarity around compatibility reminds me of what drove me to Ubiquiti in the first place. It would be less than half the price, but I'd have to figure out the APs separately (been working in networking over ten years but ... I hate wifi) and get a Nest doorbell.

To give you an example of how terrible my willpower is I happened to be on the Ubiquiti website and saw that the G4 bullet cameras were in stock, so I ordered three. Spent more than I'd intended to (only wanted G3) and I'm going to have to pay import duty too. But at least I'm getting some - then once they arrive I'll order all the other stuff.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

So this was quite a quick project. I got an HFBerry DAC (https://www.hifiberry.com/shop/boards/hifiberry-dac-adc/) that you can attach to a Raspberry Pi to use as a nice output source. This got connected to my whole home audio. I installed Volumio (https://volumio.com/en/get-started/), connected it to my NAS on a share that has bunch of music, connected a spotify account and added it to HA and to my dashboards (which are on cheap fire tablets around the house):

Plus a new tab on the tablets for the volumio interface itself which is a bit easier to use than the HA widget:

Everything "just works". This not only works for playing things using the volumio interface/app/whatever, but it shows up as an AirPlay target, UPnP/AV DLNA target and you can connect to it with bluetooth. So it's pretty much a "cast from anything" device.

The worst part of it was the Pi 0 I was using was so old it didn't have a pin header on it for the DAC "hat" so I had to solder one on with leftover solder and no flux (both of which I ordered today once I realized I was out of good stuff):

And the assembled thing:

Gonna need to 3d print a case for it, but that's a different thread.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Anyone using Google Home for whole house audio? All my devices seem to have poo poo the bed when casting to the home (7 Cast audio/speakers, 8 Smart Displays).

The thing is, it has worked fine for a long time, never really had any issues until the last couple of weeks, no network changes, no device changes, rebooted everything, reset the network, everything starts playing fine, music all synced and then a few seconds later all the displays close out their music display and all the audio stops.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Something to do with the Sonos lawsuit?

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

I'm not sure if this the best spot but it's kinda HA related. I think my Chromecast Audio is finally dying. I have it in my garage that plugs into a power amplifier w/ a speaker selection switch to run speakers in my garage/front yard/pool areas.

Is there anything modern that has an audio output like the Chromecast Audio or am I screwed paying $100 on Ebay for a NIB one?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Pitre posted:

Is there anything modern that has an audio output like the Chromecast Audio or am I screwed paying $100 on Ebay for a NIB one?

Scroll up to my Raspberry pi/HFBerry/Volumio mini project.

I needed another thing like that, and everything I found was garbage phone-home-to-china stuff (or no longer supported chomecast, or an apple tv) so I rolled my own.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Is there a smart outlet that let's you control both outlets independently? Most of them seem to have one as always on, and the other controllable.
Prefer ZigBee or zwave, wifi ok I guess if I must.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

Motronic posted:

Scroll up to my Raspberry pi/HFBerry/Volumio mini project.

I needed another thing like that, and everything I found was garbage phone-home-to-china stuff (or no longer supported chomecast, or an apple tv) so I rolled my own.

Ack, I blew right by that post on my phone when I read Home Assistant since I run Smartthings and Google Home. I'll look more into that if it works seamlessly with Google Home for casting music from Spotify. Thanks!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

drat, the Schlage Encode Plus absolutely rules with the apple home key stuff. Put your phone or watch up to the lock and magic. No phone unlocking needed (it’s an option).

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

I have a few wyze cams setup with docker-wyze-bridge to create RSTP/RTMP/HLS streams. What is the goon hivemind for NVR? I've heard zoneminder, shinobi, frigate, and blue iris. I don't really want to pay since I'm not using this for a security system. I just find it fun to grab videos of the wildlife and my kids playing in the backyard.

https://frigate.video/
https://zoneminder.com/
https://shinobi.video/

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

Disclaimer: I haven't used any of those three open source software.

I have run Blue Iris for around 10 years now and it is just a fantastic software with a great mobile app for control and notifications if you so wish. I don't care for their new pricing method though with version 5. It used to be, you pay the fee for the software and you get updates from then on. When they released version 5, the payment is only good for one year of updates.

The software doesn't stop working after a year or anything, so I have one server still on an old version of 5 that works fine for my needs and I don't renew the license. For my home server, I did go ahead and renew this year to get all of the latest updates and they are well worth it. The mobile app is miles better now for searching recordings/timeline. Deepstack is slick as hell for AI detection. That said, I may or may not renew after this year is up. Like I said it still continues to work fine at whatever version you are left with at the end of the support period.

Now days if I were building from scratch, I would definitely look at those other three first before paying BI. I might still go BI because the support and features are really good and worth the cost IMO. (the initial cost anyway)

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Pitre posted:

Disclaimer: I haven't used any of those three open source software.

I have run Blue Iris for around 10 years now and it is just a fantastic software with a great mobile app for control and notifications if you so wish. I don't care for their new pricing method though with version 5. It used to be, you pay the fee for the software and you get updates from then on. When they released version 5, the payment is only good for one year of updates.

The software doesn't stop working after a year or anything, so I have one server still on an old version of 5 that works fine for my needs and I don't renew the license. For my home server, I did go ahead and renew this year to get all of the latest updates and they are well worth it. The mobile app is miles better now for searching recordings/timeline. Deepstack is slick as hell for AI detection. That said, I may or may not renew after this year is up. Like I said it still continues to work fine at whatever version you are left with at the end of the support period.

Now days if I were building from scratch, I would definitely look at those other three first before paying BI. I might still go BI because the support and features are really good and worth the cost IMO. (the initial cost anyway)

Yea, the licensing method for Blue Iris sort of put me off. Also having to run a windows box. They're my last option if the rest suck. The thread doesn't seem to like Zoneminder.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I am literally looking at this at the moment, and blue iris seems like a good option. However, electricity costs are so high now that cannibalising an old pc and running it 24/7 will cost quite a lot.

Frigate seems good, but is meant to work with a coral which are currently impossible to get due to chip shortages.

So my plan is get a cheap NUC and a Poe switch and try BI. if I don't like it i might switch to frigate once the usb coral is more available. If anyone has a nuc recommendation that can deal with 4 HD cams that would be great!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

CancerCakes posted:

I am literally looking at this at the moment, and blue iris seems like a good option. However, electricity costs are so high now that cannibalising an old pc and running it 24/7 will cost quite a lot.

Frigate seems good, but is meant to work with a coral which are currently impossible to get due to chip shortages.

So my plan is get a cheap NUC and a Poe switch and try BI. if I don't like it i might switch to frigate once the usb coral is more available. If anyone has a nuc recommendation that can deal with 4 HD cams that would be great!

Power costs should be pretty low, I use a cheap 4 core AMD APU in a server and it's like 25w. I don't think you need a very powerful chip for this.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Wyze's cam server(s?) are down, can't access my cams even though I have one of their crappy local base stations.

Good thing I have the Eufy cams as backup, though their IR capability isn't quite as good.

This is like the second time this year this has happened..

Edit: aaaand they're back up. To their credit, it looks like the cams were still dutifully recording events, its just that the phone app AND their crappy beta website thought there were no cameras on my account

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 6, 2022

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
I mentioned awhile back that I decided to buy and try the Legrand Netatmo smart switches.
So I guess this is my brief trip report.

TLDR:
- nice looking hub and switches
- many color choices
- great HomeKit support
- no drop outs
- 3-pole configs require BATTERY powered switches (DUMB DUMB DUMB)

In order to use the smart switches you need to also have their hub. Since my intent was only to test this line of product I got the hub and 4 switches. The switches my intent was to place for all of the exterior lighting.

A thing I like about their hub is they have a couple of variations:
- You can buy one that sits in a single gang box and uses up that slot
- You can also buy one that sits flush against the wall and siphons power from a single gang box making it look like a two gang

I went with the second option and it works well and the hub itself looks nice. I ended up placing it on a switch but you could place it on a power socket instead. I think if I were to move this I would move it to use a socket instead. The reason I didn't do this is because none of my power sockets are decora style but all my switches are. The benefit of placing this next to a power socket instead of a switch is that it is out of view and guests will most likely never know its there. Whereas next to a switch there is a greater chance someone will ask you what it is.

During installation of the switches I discovered some bad news. For my front outside lights they are controlled by two different switch locations. I didn't discover until installation that Legrand does not support 3-way configuration UNLESS you use a different model for one of the two switches. This other model is battery power only. You do not use any of the wires in the box to hook it up. They have you cap them off and tuck them away. Unlike Lutron Caseta this model does not have this setup as a remote that is wall mounted. It is in wall only - but battery powered. I find this very very stupid and quite frankly is a no go for me.

Everything else about the product I find really enjoyable. It connects with HomeKit really well - aside from the wall switches displaying as lights instead of switches in the Home app. I have not had any drop outs and the lights respond nearly instantly.

Moving forward:
I'm seriously considering going with Lutron RadioRA3 - but probably not for a year or so since its new tech.

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 6, 2022

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I want to get a camera or two for the front of my house, to cover my front yard, driveway, and the section of street in front of my house (60 feet deep, 90 feet wide). I don't want smarthome stuff. No security subscriptions and I'm not really keen on wifi connection. I don't need to be notified on my phone at work if a bee flies around my door or FedEx shows up. It'd be nice to have something that could potentially get a license plate number from 75 or so feet, but that might be a big ask.

Is there a good basic self-contained cctv system with infrared camera setup that will only record when there's movement? The sort of thing where I could pull an SD card out and review files, or maybe bluetooth to my phone just to look through footage? I really want to avoid anything that requires storage on some company's server and especially anything requiring more cost than the initial equipment purchase.

I'm not a tech person, so setting up a Raspberry Pi or arduino stuff is not a feasible option.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Just a thought, but pulling SD cards from multiple cameras to review footage is incredibly annoying to do. I've got a dashcam in my car and I pull it maybe once every 12 months to dump the clips of dumb drivers I save. Not trying to change your mind, but man, a wifi/bluetooth solution would be vastly superior to pulling cards that you're probably going to mount up under your eaves or some place that you need a step-stool or ladder to access.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Just a thought, but pulling SD cards from multiple cameras to review footage is incredibly annoying to do. I've got a dashcam in my car and I pull it maybe once every 12 months to dump the clips of dumb drivers I save. Not trying to change your mind, but man, a wifi/bluetooth solution would be vastly superior to pulling cards that you're probably going to mount up under your eaves or some place that you need a step-stool or ladder to access.

Ok, I'm not opposed to wifi I guess, if I can just access and download from my computer. The bigger thing I want to avoid is something that is necessarily part of a smarthome system or can only really be used as part of a security plan. It would be nice to have the piece of mind that my home wifi cannot be accessed through a wifi device too, but wifi hardware security is something I know little more than a boomer about.

So yeah, please point out my misguided or misinformed ideas, I'm here to learn.

I'm not opposed to video doorbells either, I just don't know anything about them.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 6, 2022

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Ok, I'm not opposed to wifi I guess, if I can just access and download from my computer. The bigger thing I want to avoid is something that is necessarily part of a smarthome system or can only really be used as part of a security plan. It would be nice to have the piece of mind that my home wifi cannot be accessed through a wifi device too, but wifi hardware security is something I know little more than a boomer about.

So yeah, please point out my misguided or misinformed ideas, I'm here to learn.

I'm not opposed to video doorbells either, I just don't know anything about them.

Not what you're looking for, but I use Ring (and their $100/y subscription) for all of my outdoor cameras and doorbell. I have a bunch of kids and no free time, and Ring and their cloud works well enough without too much fiddling around, so I just eat the cost out of convenience. Scheduled notification suppression is pretty easy, for times when you're home and don't care if your trees are blowing in the backyard, etc.

I did try the Amazon Blink outdoor cameras for like a week until I decided I hated them and their lack of scheduled notification suppression per camera (it was per house/account), so I returned them for the Rings.

However, I do use a Eufy cam for a "baby" monitor inside my toddlers' room. It has an SD card to store all of the videos and rotates them out on a FIFO basis, but you can browse them and can download them directly to your phone. They do have a cloud service where you can store them forever or whatever, but I don't use it. Any videos of interest I just go into the Eufy app and download directly to my phone. I'm guessing they have outdoor cameras with similar capabilities.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yeah, in poking around through various "best of" outdoor camera compilations and Amazon, Eufy keeps popping up as a good affordable option for self-contained with local storage. Seems like their base station with the ability to add on multiple cameras might be best.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Eufy integrates with homekit secure video too I think?

I am keeping my eyes open for a sale on their 2K cams to get a couple for outdoors.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

priznat posted:

Eufy integrates with homekit secure video too I think?

I am keeping my eyes open for a sale on their 2K cams to get a couple for outdoors.

Only problem with Eufy (for my indoor cam at least), is that if you add it to HomeKit, you lose a lot of the good features like auto motion tracking, cry detection (this is important when using it for a baby monitor!), and a couple other good things. Even if you open the cam up in the Eufy app, all those things are grayed out if the cam is in HomeKit. It's really weird and unfortunate.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Only problem with Eufy (for my indoor cam at least), is that if you add it to HomeKit, you lose a lot of the good features like auto motion tracking, cry detection (this is important when using it for a baby monitor!), and a couple other good things. Even if you open the cam up in the Eufy app, all those things are grayed out if the cam is in HomeKit. It's really weird and unfortunate.

Oh that's a bummer. Homekit secure video is nice because I have the icloud bundle thingie but it is also pretty limited and slow. Could use the eufy basestation instead if I end up getting a bundle.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Has anyone recently added a Z-Wave/zigbee USB dongle to Home Assistant? I think I want to ditch the Xiaomi & Hue hubs and integrate the whole lot natively into HA.

What is the currently the "best" USB dongle to get which supports both zigbee and Z-Wave?

Alternatively i think both Hue and Xiaomi use zigbee, so a zigbee only transceiver would also work, just with less future expandability.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I picked this up a few months ago and it is working great.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01GJ826F8/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_888SSMQR9MVHXSAXE4TD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Same. Thread recommended and been working for both protocols for me.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
Another happy Nortek customer, I was worried when reading some articles about how you have to do some crazy steps to get the dongle updated to the latest versions for z-wave and zigbee but it showed up already updated and was just plug-and-play.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Great thanks, I'll give that one a go.

edit:
Seems that one is difficult to get in the UK (or expensive). As i really only need Zigbee i think i'll give this Sonoff one a go:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sonoff-Uni...aps%2C58&sr=8-3

edit2:
It also seems that the Nortek one only supports US (not EU) frequencies.

Slash fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 7, 2022

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?
I've been flipping from SmartThings to Home Assistant, using the HUSBZB-1 for Zigbee/Zwave. It's worked great for a couple dozen items *except* my Xiaomi Aqara stuff. I only have 3 door sensors and a single button, but I can get them to pair and then they go unavailable in a day or so and I have to either press the pairing button or repair to bring them back only for them to do it again.

I've poked around just a small amount to troubleshoot and haven't given up yet, but since you were talking about Xiaomi specifically, I figured I should mention it as a potential pain point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Fancy_Lad posted:

I've been flipping from SmartThings to Home Assistant, using the HUSBZB-1 for Zigbee/Zwave. It's worked great for a couple dozen items *except* my Xiaomi Aqara stuff. I only have 3 door sensors and a single button, but I can get them to pair and then they go unavailable in a day or so and I have to either press the pairing button or repair to bring them back only for them to do it again.
I've had similar issues with my Aqara devices and the HUSBZB-1.

I have a door sensor that went unavailable and refuses to re-sync at all, even after changing the battery. The other one I bought at the same time has worked flawlessly.

I also have one of the Aqara micro-buttons that intermittently goes unavailable, but always re-pairs easily when I hit the button.

In both situations there should be good signal between the hub and the devices, and other devices that are further away don't seem to have any issues.