Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I thought the Cash version was about alcoholism.

I wouldn't presume to say such an interpretation is wrong, but I'd base my interpretation of it being about age on a few things, that it was recorded seven months before his death, and that the music video was both a deliberate attempt to starkly depict Cash's own failing health, the derelict museum, the copious imagery of rotting food. The only actual lyrical change in the song being crown of poo poo to crown of thorns, the crown of thorns was what Jesus wore for the final days of his death. (Edit: also, "the needle tears a hole/the old familiar sting" is a line that makes sense in the context of drug use, in the Cash version though, I'd interpret it to be about the many times near death you might end up having your blood drawn, having medicine administered, having an i.v. line inserted or removed, etc.)

It also creates an interesting juxtaposition between the two versions, the chorus: What have I become?/My sweetest friend/Everyone I know goes away/In the end in Reznor's version refers to people distancing themselves from him, they go away in a literal sense, stop being his friend, whether that's due to the drug use driving them away or his depression causing him to retreat inward and shut them out. Whereas in Cash's version, it's more euphemistic, his friends are dead. You could even read the line slightly differently if you were so inclined: Everyone, I know, goes away/In the end.

I like Reznor's version, but I think Cash's cover resonates better, because it speaks to an experience every single one of us is going to have to face one day.

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Apr 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

It’s always been amazing to me that people can listen to music and understand the lyrics as they’re being sung. I have to stop and concentrate very hard to understand the lyrics in almost any music and even then I get it wrong a lot of the time.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

TACD posted:

It’s always been amazing to me that people can listen to music and understand the lyrics as they’re being sung. I have to stop and concentrate very hard to understand the lyrics in almost any music and even then I get it wrong a lot of the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdz5kCaCRFM

It doesn't matter what I say
As long as I sing with inflection
that makes you feel I'll convey
some inner truth or vast reflection

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Borrovan posted:

If you just don't like NIN I think that might be a "you" problem

Pretty Hate Machine & Downward Spiral are both fantastic albums, very few artists have got more than one really good album in them. Also Reznor's just a very talented producer in general (e: also he's about the only musician of that scene & era who I never heard do a homophobia, think he's generally supposed to be pretty decent?)

The main criticism I see against him is that he rallied against records labels back in the day because of how much they hosed small bands over and he encouraged piracy - but now he fully supports streaming services which are far worse for small artists.

Eddy-Baby
Mar 8, 2006

₤₤LOADSA MONAY₤₤

Gluing yourself to the LBC microphone, yes/no?

Seems to have dirsupted the show a bit...

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I'll throw down with any poseur who claims that the Jeff Buckley version of Hallelujah is better than Leonard Cohen's.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Reveilled posted:

I wouldn't presume to say such an interpretation is wrong, but I'd base my interpretation of it being about age on a few things, that it was recorded seven months before his death, and that the music video was both a deliberate attempt to starkly depict Cash's own failing health, the derelict museum, the copious imagery of rotting food. The only actual lyrical change in the song being crown of poo poo to crown of thorns, the crown of thorns was what Jesus wore for the final days of his death.

It also creates an interesting juxtaposition between the two versions, the chorus: What have I become?/My sweetest friend/Everyone I know goes away/In the end in Reznor's version refers to people distancing themselves from him, they go away in a literal sense, stop being his friend, whether that's due to the drug use driving them away or his depression causing him to retreat inward and shut them out. Whereas in Cash's version, it's more euphemistic, his friends are dead. You could even read the line slightly differently if you were so inclined: Everyone, I know, goes away/In the end.

I like Reznor's version, but I think Cash's cover resonates better, because it speaks to an experience every single one of us is going to have to face one day.

Reality also impinges considerably more on the Cash version, particularly with the video - June Carter Cash (who the camera focusses on for the "My sweetest friend" line - was genuinely the love of his life (and forgave his multiple infidelities and relapses). He would have been dead, many times over, without her and she was also responsible for a lot of his musical success. He was singing that line specifically to her, giving it the very different meaning of "Everyone *but you* goes away" IMO. She died not long after the video was released, and Cash followed just 4 months later.

For me the Cash version carries more emotional weight than the NIN version simply because it contains both the NIN version's lament of depression and addiction - something that Cash was struggling with a decade before Reznor was born, and never really stopped struggling with - but also the crushing weight of age and decay. Even the simplicity of the arrangement reflects this - he had had a stroke which had robbed him of some of his ability to sing and play guitar, so the meaning of the song is being communicated in the most direct way to anyone who remembered his more dynamic performances of only a few years previous.

As I say the video does an absolutely astonishing job of magnifying that part of the song's message, even if it is sometimes a little on-the-nose, but then it's not a message that would reward subtlety.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Dabir posted:

Nah NIN suck

Very bad post.

Always going to love someone who can write songs which are equal measures angry misery fests and fantastic hooky tunes.

I listen to too much music to say "I'd be happy with just two albums for the rest of my years" but if those two records were The Downward Spiral & The Fragile that's about as good a combo as you could get.

(Also Trent is so good at music that he recorded a song with Lindsay Buckingham that I don't hate, which I'm fairly confident is a first)

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Apr 3, 2022

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

keep punching joe posted:

I'll throw down with any poseur who claims that the Jeff Buckley version of Hallelujah is better than Leonard Cohen's.

I loathe the Buckley version of that song. Pure wank

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Neither version is worth arguing for as the song is poo poo

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Reality also impinges considerably more on the Cash version, particularly with the video - June Carter Cash (who the camera focusses on for the "My sweetest friend" line - was genuinely the love of his life (and forgave his multiple infidelities and relapses). He would have been dead, many times over, without her and she was also responsible for a lot of his musical success. He was singing that line specifically to her, giving it the very different meaning of "Everyone *but you* goes away" IMO. She died not long after the video was released, and Cash followed just 4 months later.

For me the Cash version carries more emotional weight than the NIN version simply because it contains both the NIN version's lament of depression and addiction - something that Cash was struggling with a decade before Reznor was born, and never really stopped struggling with - but also the crushing weight of age and decay. Even the simplicity of the arrangement reflects this - he had had a stroke which had robbed him of some of his ability to sing and play guitar, so the meaning of the song is being communicated in the most direct way to anyone who remembered his more dynamic performances of only a few years previous.

As I say the video does an absolutely astonishing job of magnifying that part of the song's message, even if it is sometimes a little on-the-nose, but then it's not a message that would reward subtlety.

I mean, all that considered rather makes it more interesting and impressive that Cash is listening to a modern punk song and not just appreciating it but does a cover demonstrating its applicability to his own life. The sincerest form of flattery?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Can't believe nobody's mentioned this cover yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIVFmC9EsUM

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Dabir posted:

Neither version is worth arguing for as the song is poo poo

looks like someone doesn't really care for music.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

looks like someone doesn't really care for music.

Nonsense. It would be sheer ignorance to deny that the Chrono Cross soundtrack is anything but the magnum opus of vidcon music; its lifting and oftentimes hauntingly peaceful guitar melodies soothe all but the most savage of beasts while its tense battle themes and mysterious donjon tunes ignite a blazing passion that can be quenched only by the vidcon's profound story and gameplay. It is a wonder that anyone can listen to anything besides vidcon musical compositions after listening to Mitsuda-san's immensely powerful soundtrack, but given that the primitive thuds of hip hop are America's current choice of 'music' (I use the term music liberally), one can see little hope in the mass appreciation of Mitsuda-san's work.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Dabir posted:

Nonsense. It would be sheer ignorance to deny that the Chrono Cross soundtrack is anything but the magnum opus of vidcon music; its lifting and oftentimes hauntingly peaceful guitar melodies soothe all but the most savage of beasts while its tense battle themes and mysterious donjon tunes ignite a blazing passion that can be quenched only by the vidcon's profound story and gameplay. It is a wonder that anyone can listen to anything besides vidcon musical compositions after listening to Mitsuda-san's immensely powerful soundtrack, but given that the primitive thuds of hip hop are America's current choice of 'music' (I use the term music liberally), one can see little hope in the mass appreciation of Mitsuda-san's work.

Mods???????

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Shot:

Guavanaut posted:

Can't believe nobody's mentioned this cover yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIVFmC9EsUM

Chaser:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytYJBxmpGb8

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

forkboy84 posted:

Very bad post.

Always going to love someone who can write songs which are equal measures angry misery fests and fantastic hooky tunes.

I listen to too much music to say "I'd be happy with just two albums for the rest of my years" but if those two records were The Downward Spiral & The Fragile that's about as good a combo as you could get.

(Also Trent is so good at music that he recorded a song with Lindsay Buckingham that I don't hate, which I'm fairly confident is a first)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Julio Cruz posted:

I mean I'd be fine with him killing himself if it meant we didn't have to hear about him all the loving time

that probably makes me a bad person, but tbh I don't really care
He's advocating for views and barriers to healthcare that make trans people end up killing themselves, i'd say it's fair turnabout. The guy's a loving ghoul dancing on the graves of trans kids, I hope he gets a loving [telling off] in the [minecraft server].

Borrovan posted:

The thing about a cover version of a well-known song is that you're listening to it in the context of your familiarity with the original. When you listen to them, you're kind of hearing the original in your head, & what you're noticing is the differences between that & the cover, which really emphasises whatever the thing is that they're doing with it & makes you enjoy it more than you otherwise would.
We can all agree though, the twattish reworks of 80s songs on the John Lewis xmas ads can all gently caress right off.

Reveilled posted:

It's partly age, but I think another large aspect of it is his younger, hard man of rock image, maybe regrets over certain aspects of the fanbase that built up around him, how they idolise him, and what they use his name for. If you take the needle in 'the needle tears a hole' repurposed as a record needle, and the crown of thorns as his reputation, it adds another layer.

I'm not saying your interpretation is wrong - it's absolutely also about age and friends dying and regret, but I think there are certain aspects of it that really resonate being sung by such a huge name with such a complex reputation. There's just something very meaningful about the final 'what have I become' where he really opens the taps on his vocals.

I do have "I'm 14 and this is deep" nostalia over NIN's original but I think I prefer Cash's version.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Happy to throw down :shrug:

I saw Cohen do Hallelujah at a gig a year or so before his death IIRC, and the version (and the whole gig) were fantastic, but I prefer the Buckley version. It's not the same weary perspective of an 80yo singing a song he wrote as a 50yo, so it's kinda the inverse of the Reznor-Johnny Cash thing. But Buckley had one of the most beautiful voices in rock history and his guitar playing was outstandingly tasteful and inventive.

It suffered deeply from oversaturation for a few years, but that's neither here nor there for me personally. Arguing that artistic thing X is "better" than Y seems extremely dumb and futile though

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I saw NIN live once having only heard of them, but not their music, and left halfway through because I was so bored. Should've gone to see Britney Spears instead.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

We can all agree though, the twattish reworks of 80s songs on the John Lewis xmas ads can all gently caress right off.
*soft pedals piano as the camera pans over a feltwork nativity scene* I wanna gently caress you like an animal
*snow falls gently behind a window in which you can see the reflection of a wood fire* I wanna feel you from the inside

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Guavanaut posted:

*soft pedals piano as the camera pans over a feltwork nativity scene* I wanna gently caress you like an animal
*snow falls gently behind a window in which you can see the reflection of a wood fire* I wanna feel you from the inside

John Lewis. Bringing you closer to your loved ones, this Christmas.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6D5xpCgETk

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
What is everyone's opinion on the fact that quite a lot of people now know hallelujah from Shrek?

Also, folks opinions on They Might Be Giants, the killers and snow patrol?

Keep safe everyone!

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Anyone who does one of those ‘breathy singer, twinkly piano, possibly a loving acoustic guitar if you’re really unfortunate’ covers should, and I’m not being hyperbolic here, be killed.

E: shite, shiter, bit shite but just for being soft as gently caress, they’re not bad really.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Josef bugman posted:

Also, folks opinions on They Might Be Giants, the killers and snow patrol?

Incredibly good, boring Mormons with a couple of bangers, and complete shite, respectively. Please like and subscribe for more insights such as the above

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Jakabite posted:

Anyone who does one of those ‘breathy singer, twinkly piano, possibly a loving acoustic guitar if you’re really unfortunate’ covers should, and I’m not being hyperbolic here, be killed.

I don't know how or why those covers became the standard for trailers, but god I hate it.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Mexrissey's cover of Suedhead beats the piss out of the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Zh-89Hg2K0

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I don't know how or why those covers became the standard for trailers, but god I hate it.

We need to go the other way and soundtrack M&S ads with grindcore covers of Ellie Goulding songs

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
It honestly makes me kind of angry. I can’t put my finger on why, I’m just imagining the entire process and everyone involved in it either genuinely believing or pretending to themselves and those around them that these covers are actually really touching or affecting, and congratulating themselves for a job well done. Like at least the people who earn millions killing whales or fracking, there’s a logical route to how that’s happened. It’s evil as gently caress but it makes sense.

Those covers are like an aberration, a cruel joke played on us people who are allergic to twee bullshit by a bunch of suited dick head wankers.

gently caress

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Jakabite posted:

E: shite, shiter, bit shite but just for being soft as gently caress, they’re not bad really.
There was a short-lived US cop show (Stalker? Something like that) that my wife was hooked on where every episode had one of those breathy, slow-paced acoustic covers. I swear one of them was Blue Monday, which was just an affront to all that is right and good in the world.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jakabite posted:

Those covers are like an aberration, a cruel joke played on us people who are allergic to twee bullshit by a bunch of suited dick head wankers.

gently caress
In the case of adverts it's all focus grouped to hell to be the least offensive to the greatest number of people.

And then someone on Twitter will say "I'm the least racist person, I had an x-ray on Bupa and I don't have the racist bone in my body, but if you skip to 11 seconds into the advert where the group of friends is eating dinner, one of them is clearly a Southeast Asian of the luzonensis group of hominins, making a 25% representation, whereas if you compare this against the census reported ethnicity statistics as I have compiled in spreadsheet C..."

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Wholly agree. The video is by Mark Romanek, who knows a thing or two about promos.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
The Beatles are quite good. And Coldplay.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Dabir posted:

:discourse:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/Hector_E_Alcala/status/1510270601969160200

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Payndz posted:

There was a short-lived US cop show (Stalker? Something like that) that my wife was hooked on where every episode had one of those breathy, slow-paced acoustic covers. I swear one of them was Blue Monday, which was just an affront to all that is right and good in the world.

It was Stalker - only one season - and I thought it was quite clever to be honest to take all of the songs that are actually about stalker behaviour and make them creepy again.

Every Breath You Take is an obvious one but there were quite a few others.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It's partly age, but I think another large aspect of it is his younger, hard man of rock image, maybe regrets over certain aspects of the fanbase that built up around him, how they idolise him, and what they use his name for. If you take the needle in 'the needle tears a hole' repurposed as a record needle, and the crown of thorns as his reputation, it adds another layer.

I'm not saying your interpretation is wrong - it's absolutely also about age and friends dying and regret, but I think there are certain aspects of it that really resonate being sung by such a huge name with such a complex reputation. There's just something very meaningful about the final 'what have I become' where he really opens the taps on his vocals.

I do have "I'm 14 and this is deep" nostalia over NIN's original but I think I prefer Cash's version.

I'd heartily endorse those additional layers of interpretations and fully agree.

Re: Leonard Cohen, fully agreed on the original version of Hallelujah being the best. I've always had more of a soft spot for Famous Blue Raincoat. I think it's a song that really grows on you, Cohen's voice can have a droning quality that put me off at first but have come to love.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

stev posted:

Reznor is wrong, the original is so much better. He was just trying to be a nice guy making an old man feed good about his little cover.

I heard the original for the first time a couple of days ago and lmao it sounds like a whiney teenager trying to cover the cash version, johnny cash murdered trent reznor and stole his song and it's hilarious.

E: an this as someone who unironically likes MCR, btw. I like that kind of music but johnny cash killed that version stone dead.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Apr 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

It's "crown of poo poo" Cash changed.

For fucks sake.