Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
Do you now have to legally register your 3 hole punch as a deadly weapon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Greg Legg posted:

My folks were visiting for a week and I just came
back from dropping them off at the airport. Our 4 year old is old enough to understand that his grandparents aren't here anymore so he was kind of sad this morning. We tried to prepare him for this and I think it worked because he's okay with it now. Parenting is tough!

One school I taught at brought a company run by cops and vets for a training that taught me how to kill a guy with a three hole punch.

It took me a minute to realise you weren't talking about a forbidden martial arts technique.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
mimeograph self defense class

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

…obviously I should have been running a shell of a company where I show up to schools blazed as gently caress in my old field jacket and tell teachers “you want to have something hard or fairly heavy, and then get close to them without being shot or preferably noticed. then you hit them as hard as you can and keep hitting them until they fall over”

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Survivng Holed Weapons

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
My understanding is that holy weapons are +2 to satanic shooter

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

We now have lots of teeth

We are now biting

We have no remorse

What have I done

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Get the extended protection plan those fuckers wear out in a few years.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Elissimpark posted:

It took me a minute to realise you weren't talking about a forbidden martial arts technique.

lol

They also taught us how to use the environment for cover, but having played Half Life 2, I already knew how to do that.

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

The companies that make money off active shooter culture are insidious and they might as well be one of those Israel cop exchange programs for how very clearly unethical and stupid their services are

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Greg Legg posted:

lol

They also taught us how to use the environment for cover, but having played Half Life 2, I already knew how to do that.

Surprising how few teachers are prepared to abuse chest high walls so they can move from cover to cover to flank an opponent with an armored turret emplacement

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

NeatHeteroDude posted:

Surprising how few teachers are prepared to abuse chest high walls so they can move from cover to cover to flank an opponent with an armored turret emplacement

I already had an active shooter drill for my room before the training, which was to run like hell to the McDonald's down the hill. I even had one of those collapsable wagons for my kids who couldn't walk. I think that company even approved this idea. America rules!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

did you yell “train to zone line” while you were running?

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Sorry I worded that wrong. We never actually practiced it, the staff just knew that was the plan if there was an emergency.

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Greg Legg posted:

Sorry I worded that wrong. We never actually practiced it, the staff just knew that was the plan if there was an emergency.

Love the idea of being sent out as a distraction so the other classes can get away

One of my earlier sped classes was at a school in Colorado that cared a shitton about all types of drills, and sometimes they'd have admin come in, point at a trashcan and yell, "quick! There's a fire!" And force us through 1/2 of an evacuation. Idk if I ever did any big active shooter drills but I imagine there's people who go class to class doing that but with guns

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Besides that the school and Colorado in general are immensely more progressive when it comes to special ed than anywhere else I've worked

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

all I can think of lately while it's on tv is how wildly rich the bluey family must be to afford that house

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

bitmap posted:

all I can think of lately while it's on tv is how wildly rich the bluey family must be to afford that house

I mean, the Australian property market is pretty pricey, but the style of house (Queenslander) is pretty common in the suburbs of Brisbane. It wouldn't be the super fanciest house you could own.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

bitmap posted:

lol that’s me when I watch Dot on Hulu. this loving single child family in a large rear end mid century modern…

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
the bluey dad is ruining my life

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

TheWevel posted:

the bluey dad is ruining my life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovwmrNScuUM

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Pre-K teacher mentioned my four year old really seems to have latched onto the phrase "landlords to the wall"

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Pre-K teacher mentioned my four year old really seems to have latched onto the phrase "landlords to the wall"

You're a good parent

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.
Overheard one kid say "lol planets dying" and it feels way more sad than funny :(

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Adjectivist Philosophy posted:

Overheard one kid say "lol planets dying" and it feels way more sad than funny :(

Dejectivist Philosophy

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
after the sandy creek poo poo they started doing mandatory shooter drills around here, and my kid was in kindergarden at the time.

the school didn't tell us this was going on of course. we found out cuz the kid started having nightmares and wouldn't tell us why for a while, and then eventually told us about the bad men at the school coming to kill them.

We brought it up with her teacher who was sympathetic: they hadn't been telling the kids what was going on or anything, just that sometimes they'd have to close the door and hide in a corner and keep the lights off. Kids talk, tho, and that's how word got around.

Now in high school, in band and all. A couple months ago they had a drill that they weren't warned about, and one of my kid's prominent memories of high school will now be of being shut into one of the equipment rooms with her marching band friends discussing which instruments would do the most damage if they had to rush someone trying to break in. they'd do it, too: i chaperoned for some of the away marching events, not many of them would have any compunctions about doing what they felt they had to do there.

but this is what school in america is like these days. it just turns into story after story like this.

but to end on a less bleak note, quote from the other night at dinner. "Zucchini is terrible. Who invented this. Whoever cultivated these shoulda given up and cultivated some bitches instead."

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

grill it with oil and salt.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Hey, pro tip: Carter's brand fleece pajamas react with sweat and urine to produce a distinct Maple Syrup smell.

If you do not know this, notice the smell and Google "Maple Syrup Urine Smell" it will tell you your child has a horrible genetic disease they do not have.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

smart kid - zucchini loving sucks rear end

chocolate chip zucchini bread, however, is the poo poo

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

My 4yo daughter will eat an entire zucchini by herself. Zucchini owns when it's not overcooked

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Iridium posted:

after the sandy creek poo poo they started doing mandatory shooter drills around here, and my kid was in kindergarden at the time.

the school didn't tell us this was going on of course. we found out cuz the kid started having nightmares and wouldn't tell us why for a while, and then eventually told us about the bad men at the school coming to kill them.

We brought it up with her teacher who was sympathetic: they hadn't been telling the kids what was going on or anything, just that sometimes they'd have to close the door and hide in a corner and keep the lights off. Kids talk, tho, and that's how word got around.

Now in high school, in band and all. A couple months ago they had a drill that they weren't warned about, and one of my kid's prominent memories of high school will now be of being shut into one of the equipment rooms with her marching band friends discussing which instruments would do the most damage if they had to rush someone trying to break in. they'd do it, too: i chaperoned for some of the away marching events, not many of them would have any compunctions about doing what they felt they had to do there.

but this is what school in america is like these days. it just turns into story after story like this.

but to end on a less bleak note, quote from the other night at dinner. "Zucchini is terrible. Who invented this. Whoever cultivated these shoulda given up and cultivated some bitches instead."

been depressed about this post for a full 24 hours. you americans are just...man, you're just hosed.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

bitmap posted:

been depressed about this post for a full 24 hours. you americans are just...man, you're just hosed.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

bitmap posted:

Haha, but like. I can drive to the Applebee's off the interstate exit or the one off the other interstate exit and no one can stop me. That's real freedom. The good stuff

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

bitmap posted:

Dude it sucks so bad lmao. the k-12 school I work has the most terrifying active shooter alarm, just this droning sound that sets your teeth on edge, and our offices in the admin wing have these special, heavy-duty door stops that you fit around the door and drop a pin through the floor so it would take a loving tank to get in

We do drills every other month or so it seems and it's always just a tense, bizarre few minutes

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Happy to find a few more parents at work that have kinda-sorta banned paw patrol for the copaganda aspects lol

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Good soup! posted:

Happy to find a few more parents at work that have kinda-sorta banned paw patrol for the copaganda aspects lol

i banned paw patrol cause its terrible.

like even if you take out the propaganda aspect its just not funny or entertaining and there's at least 20 better shows on Disney+ or any other streaming service my kids can watch 24 hours a day

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

bitmap posted:

every time i want to post about some issue with our health care system I check myself because god almighty it's not the healthcare system of the USA

the baby watches paddington bear, even if it's fairly lib, but my wife instantly skipped the cop episode lmao

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Iridium posted:

I am so sorry. no child and no parent should have to deal with this.

kid is way off base about zucchini though, I’ll go to bat for the Z veggie all the time

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Was just informed my 20-month-old had her first active shooter drill.

I think I'm going to go lay down somewhere and not get up for a while.

this is enraging. it sounds like here in Vermont they don't start that poo poo until at least middle school but I'm already planning a fight over it; so far my experience here is that it's small enough that it's actually possible to effect some amount of changes in some things. that is, I stand zero chance of changing state policy but lots of people hate this poo poo and i can probably make sure it's a frequent topic in the local papers, at minimum, for YEARS.

my wife and i had our first meal out by ourselves since feb 2020 last night at a restaurant with an open air heated patio, we also went early to avoid potential crowds. now we're leaving the five year old with my parents for the week, which leaves us with the one year old and I'm between jobs this week. i dunno about sleep but the house is going to be quieter than i can remember it, i might have to bang pans together or shoot cans in the basement to compensate

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 12:41 on Apr 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The Nastier Nate posted:

i banned paw patrol cause its terrible.

like even if you take out the propaganda aspect its just not funny or entertaining and there's at least 20 better shows on Disney+ or any other streaming service my kids can watch 24 hours a day

Yeah that too