Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I do think it's a bit silly how much the "slow minor version of happy song" cliche is done these days, but I do have a soft spot for this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcA--c2U4Wg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Josef bugman posted:

What is everyone's opinion on the fact that quite a lot of people now know hallelujah from Shrek?

Hallelujah is a hammy delight imo, on par with "I would do anything for love" or "Total eclipse of the heart", and both Buckley and Shrek bring that out beautifully.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
a lotta americna boomer and gen x libs love to cry at that one scene in west wing thst uses hallelujah and its kinda ruined the song for me

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Hallelujah mostly reminds me of that sex scene in Zack Snyder's Watchmen.

Speaking of which I still unironically love this even if the rest of the film is mostly bad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv2RXpYfCyA

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
How did the boat race being today totally pass me by?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Were you stood on the river bank?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i noticed it was on television but i changed the channel because i have no interest in it

midsomer murders was on and there was a wife-chef arguing with a husband-chef because she'd nicked his recipes for her cookbook and i'm p sure it was one or other of them what was going to get midsomered but i went to make some cheese on toast and by then i'd lost interest

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Josef bugman posted:

What is everyone's opinion on the fact that quite a lot of people now know hallelujah from Shrek?

Also, folks opinions on They Might Be Giants, the killers and snow patrol?

Keep safe everyone!

My opinion is they would all be better if their primary influences were Eyehategod, Black Flag & The Melvins.

Miftan posted:

I saw NIN live once having only heard of them, but not their music, and left halfway through because I was so bored. Should've gone to see Britney Spears instead.

Worst Miftan opinion yet. Going to go out & buy a dozen Chocolate Oranges to pelt at you. One segment at a time.

OwlFancier posted:

I heard the original for the first time a couple of days ago and lmao it sounds like a whiney teenager trying to cover the cash version, johnny cash murdered trent reznor and stole his song and it's hilarious.

E: an this as someone who unironically likes MCR, btw. I like that kind of music but johnny cash killed that version stone dead.

The Cash version is the definitive version, but they both have their place. As a whiny teenager in the body of a 37 year old I still find the original hits right. But it does help that I heard it first because when American IV first came out there was no way I would've listened to a song by a country artist, even a cover of a song adore. Fortunately I grew older & learned that Hank Williams Sr is among the best recording artists ever. Talking of Hank, that album also has a good duet of I'm So Lonely I Could Cry with Nick Cave, which is cool.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

All hail our new feminist leaders:

https://twitter.com/tabitasurge/status/1510273073689370625

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/TabitaSurge/status/1510574884384030723

:lmao:

What is it with these people deliberately misunderstanding evolution so that their imagined 1950s with all the hominins on their proper continent and women at home is a matter of evolutionary intent.

Just go back to quoting Bible verses you don't understand.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Breathy acoustic tracks are designed to hit the nostalgic bone in the target audience. It's familiar and comforting to people who remember and liked the original, but different enough that people who hated the original song/band aren't going to start frothing at mere mention of the product later on.

Leonard Cohen is like Bob Dylan: a brilliant poet and songwriter, but less great as a singer. I tend to prefer other people singing their songs. The tragedy with Hallelujah is that not enough people sing the "I did my best it wasn't much/I couldn't feel so I tried to touch" verse. If it's sung right, that whole verse is heartbreakingly desperate.

Mebh posted:

Hello fellow behind the bastards fan. We just discovered it after we ran out of swindled.

History of the cold war has an episode on him. As does evil men and biographics:history one life at a time. I've not listened to them yet though.

Also thanks for all the input on ME/CFS goons. As it stands the ADHD meds have not been great with ridiculously poo poo come downs that either drove me to a very dark depression with lisdexamfetamine and made me nauseous if I so much as sniffed alcohol. Whereas methylphenidate gives me RAGE that I have to fight to control when I crash. I'm also in absolutely unreal full body and muscle pain, hypersensitive to light, sound and smell.

The fucker with private is its so eye wateringly expensive (300 a month) the motivation to risk changing anything just isn't there as then its going to extend the duration i have to be with them.

Thank you! I liked the History of the Cold War podcast and will check out the others.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Lady Demelza posted:

Breathy acoustic tracks are designed to hit the nostalgic bone in the target audience. It's familiar and comforting to people who remember and liked the original, but different enough that people who hated the original song/band aren't going to start frothing at mere mention of the product later on.

Leonard Cohen is like Bob Dylan: a brilliant poet and songwriter, but less great as a singer. I tend to prefer other people singing their songs. The tragedy with Hallelujah is that not enough people sing the "I did my best it wasn't much/I couldn't feel so I tried to touch" verse. If it's sung right, that whole verse is heartbreakingly desperate.

Thank you! I liked the History of the Cold War podcast and will check out the others.

I like Cohen's version of Hallelujah most because it preserves the hope at the end, as well as keeping closer to the religious imagery.

'And even though it all went wrong, I'll stand before the Lord of Song with nothing on my tongue but hallelujah'

Though my favourite *performance* of it is a live version I saw online where kd lang did it. Amazing.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Speaking as a woman - they can gently caress off.
What if we don't have kids whether by choice or inability to procreate?
Just gently caress off gently caress off gently caress off.
And then they can gently caress off some more.

And if you do have kids, why do you have to turn your brains to mush instead of getting some stimulation? I remember my mum playing housewives for a few weeks when dad moved abroad and she didn't have a job for a while. It lasted about 6 weeks before she turned into a bored hell bitch.

(Though if they can send Priti Patel back to the kitchen, I'm sure many would be grateful.)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 3, 2022

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
A podcast I was listening too the other day was making a similar point. When did the "In a world" type voice overs for trailers get replaced by the acoustic cover versions of old songs.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lady Demelza posted:

Leonard Cohen is like Bob Dylan: a brilliant poet and songwriter, but less great as a singer. I tend to prefer other people singing their songs.

I really love the way Cohen sings his own songs. Most of the time I don't really care if someone's technically a good singer, if they can belt out their own songs and feel them intensely every time that's enough for me and usually adds a lot of character that a well polished singer wouldn't have.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jippa posted:

A podcast I was listening too the other day was making a similar point. When did the "In a world" type voice overs for trailers get replaced by the acoustic cover versions of old songs.

Possibly the stupidest version of mournful covers of songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VbupHLwQ5U

may actually kill some people ITT so fair warning.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

(Though if they can send Priti Patel back to the kitchen, I'm sure many would be grateful.)
I'd worry she'd put poison in the mashed potatoes.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Jippa posted:

The earliest trailer I can find for this is Social Network in 2010, but the one that really sticks in my memory is Age of Ultron with I've got No Strings, which really promised a much more depressing movie than the one we got, which was just depressingly bad.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Must ait its been probably half a decade since I saw any marvel film. Oh wait no. I did see Thor Ragnarok, when did that come out?

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The earliest trailer I can find for this is Social Network in 2010, but the one that really sticks in my memory is Age of Ultron with I've got No Strings, which really promised a much more depressing movie than the one we got, which was just depressingly bad.

The apex/nadir is the breathy girl cover of X gonna give it to ya ~35 seconds in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYYuwAsZl58

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Jippa posted:

I thought the Gears of War 3 trailer with the version of Mad World was ground zero. That was in 2006.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccWrbGEFgI8

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Jippa posted:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/film/in-a-world-without-voiceovers-what-happened-to-the-movie-trailer-voice/article18806436/

Because initially one of the voice dudes died.
Also multi-region releases. Used to be where it would release in the US first, then other regions months later. Now its usually worldwide, and easier and cheaper to have title cards than different voice actors in different languages.
And Smash mouth.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Catzilla posted:

I thought the Gears of War 3 trailer with the version of Mad World was ground zero. That was in 2006.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccWrbGEFgI8
I often wonder about the one guy in the marketing department that watched Donnie Darko and decided they needed that exact energy for their spacemarine game.

It was only 3 months after DD came out and that exact cover version was made for the movie specifically iirc.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Here's my terrible music take: I really like some of the Choir!Choir!Choir! covers and I get vicarious joy in seeing them perform, even if the singing isn't professional quality.

Lady Demelza fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 3, 2022

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

OwlFancier posted:

My flatmate and I used to smoke a lot of weed to get through this show. I remember distinctly this episode airing and being unable to continue watching due to a horrendous cough/laughing fit which lasted the best part of half an hour.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

:lol:

From the youtube comments: "11 years later and this still gives me chills."

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Shirley Manson's 'Samson and Delilah' from the season 2 premiere was a banger, though. (And the reveal of her character's secret was both funny and hosed up in many ways.)

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008

Mr Phillby posted:

I often wonder about the one guy in the marketing department that watched Donnie Darko and decided they needed that exact energy for their spacemarine game.

It was only 3 months after DD came out and that exact cover version was made for the movie specifically iirc.

Not sure, but the same song was the Christmas Number 1 in 2003, if you needed any proof of how dreadful the post-9/11 years have been culturally.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I liked that version. :(

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I remember in 2004 genuinely wondering if I was going mad, walking down the South Bank along that little buskers row between the big wheel and the old ITV building and every hundred metres was a basically identical elfin blonde woman with an acoustic guitar doing breathy covers of 80s pop hits. I actually doubled back to make sure after the third or fourth one. There's still one of them fairly regularly around Bankside/the bendy bridge, and she seems to be doing alright out of it at least in terms of crowd size.

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE
The best soft acoustic covers are the ones which are the original

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBJGNlEVguw

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I'm currently trying to buy a cheap old pickup truck. Apparently they're being bought up by the Ukrainian military and shipped there as they're cheaper than left hand drive continental ones. I guess I should stop trying to buy one in solidarity with the war effort.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

josh04 posted:

Hallelujah is a hammy delight imo, on par with "I would do anything for love" or "Total eclipse of the heart", and both Buckley and Shrek bring that out beautifully.
The Shrek version isn't even Buckley's, it's Rufus Wainwright, a version that manages to capture none of the magnificence of either.

What really throws the discussion out is that the Wainwright/ Shrek version and the mawkish, melisma-addled x-factor version are the ones that most people are going to know.

Personally I feel like Cohen's original is an excellent set of lyrics from a distinctive voice over an embarrassingly dated musical arrangement, and Buckley's version has a beautiful arrangement, so I'd be very curious to hear Cohen's vocals transposed over Buckley's arrangement.

Jippa posted:

A single, super clear piano note is the new IN A WORRRLLLDDD

Thunderthroat is no more, which is why a ton of those types of ads stopped. There's a guy called Redd Pepper who can do a 75% imitation good enough for parody purposes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6N5l0sgPP5k

But if you compare it to the original, it's hard to take it seriously:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJMGS7l0wT8

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 3, 2022

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

A single, super clear piano note is the new IN A WORRRLLLDDD

Is this Kanye's fault or did they all get it from somewhere else?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

josh04 posted:

Is this Kanye's fault or did they all get it from somewhere else?
I feel like the Ultron trailer was the first time I noticed it,

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I'm currently trying to buy a cheap old pickup truck. Apparently they're being bought up by the Ukrainian military and shipped there as they're cheaper than left hand drive continental ones. I guess I should stop trying to buy one in solidarity with the war effort.
I sold my Hilux to a Libyan guy years back but I think he was a landscape gardener planning to use it for work.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Kevino07 posted:

Not sure, but the same song was the Christmas Number 1 in 2003, if you needed any proof of how dreadful the post-9/11 years have been culturally.
I was getting the dates mixed up lol. It was recorded for Donnie Darko but that was a 2001 movie. 2009 was when the unecessary sequel came out, my google skills are lacking it seems. Still seeing it attached to the game where the big beef men fight the space lizards makes me giggle

I forgot it got to christmas number 1 though, what happened in 2003 to make that happen is beyond me.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

It seems fitting now

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Mr Phillby posted:

I was getting the dates mixed up lol. It was recorded for Donnie Darko but that was a 2001 movie. 2009 was when the unecessary sequel came out, my google skills are lacking it seems. Still seeing it attached to the game where the big beef men fight the space lizards makes me giggle

I like the Mad World cover, and it's over-the-top sadness really fits the woozy-paranoia of Donnie Darko.

I'm unsure how well Donnie Darko works if you're not currently a teenager. I watched it last when i was ~23 and it didn't really have the same impact, I dread to think how it'll feel now I'm 32.

quote:

I forgot it got to christmas number 1 though, what happened in 2003 to make that happen is beyond me.

It's because 2003 was awful and depressing, and everyone was feeling awful and depressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
So with all the bills going up, what's stopping someone just saying 'well our bills won't go up' and hoovering up all the extra customers? Shareholders? Money? Anti-monopoly laws? I honestly don't understand it.