Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Elvis_Maximus posted:

They should just get it over with and ban companion as a mechanic

They don't do power level erata (outside arena) and banning lines on a card is kinda meh.
But companions have had like two years now to show up in a deck without being the companion and the only one I saw do that was Gyruda.
And Lurrus during a time I tried to make a Lurrus X Obosh death's Shadow deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

They don't do power level erata (outside arena) and banning lines on a card is kinda meh.
But companions have had like two years now to show up in a deck without being the companion and the only one I saw do that was Gyruda.
And Lurrus during a time I tried to make a Lurrus X Obosh death's Shadow deck.

They did it once when they revised the companion mechanic to cost 3 instead of being free. Edit: or wait, wasn't it just that you could cast it directly? Like it didn't even have to move to your hand? That revision was kinda weird come to think of it

But I just sorta misspoke my bad, they should just ban all the companion cards straight up to keep things clean, at least from the larger card pool formats

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the way companions work now is fine. they're not overwhelming any formats and the way they're set up now makes them disruptable more often

i do kind of wonder why exactly you're bringing it up rignt now and i wanna make sure you didn't walk into an april fool's joke saying they were doing something new with them

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

flatluigi posted:

the way companions work now is fine. they're not overwhelming any formats and the way they're set up now makes them disruptable more often

i do kind of wonder why exactly you're bringing it up rignt now and i wanna make sure you didn't walk into an april fool's joke saying they were doing something new with them

Nah, I just don't like the mechanic in general. Well, conceptually I like the idea of deck building restriction cards, but I feel like for competitive stuff they're always either going to be unplayable or way too good. It only came up because of the Winota price spike :v:

I also have opinions about t3feri, unfortunately they're not anymore nuanced and my posting would be equally bad

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Elvis_Maximus posted:

They did it once when they revised the companion mechanic to cost 3 instead of being free. Edit: or wait, wasn't it just that you could cast it directly? Like it didn't even have to move to your hand? That revision was kinda weird come to think of it

But I just sorta misspoke my bad, they should just ban all the companion cards straight up to keep things clean, at least from the larger card pool formats

So this is a bit pedantic but companion is a rule. So changing the rule isn't the same thing as erata. It's also not power-level erata: One is usually done because there's a typo or to make the card keep funcitoning when the rules change. (like when "target creature or player" became "any target" to account for a change and removal of the planeswalker redirection rule)
And yes that's how it used to work. If you had 3 mana up you could just Lutri at any time. It was a weird revision, sure, but modifying the rule was the only way to do it without powerlevel erata short of, well it's your proposed solution, banning all 10 of them.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Framboise posted:

I kinda dig it but that selection of cards is strange

they're all left-handed in the original art

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

So this is a bit pedantic but companion is a rule. So changing the rule isn't the same thing as erata. It's also not power-level erata: One is usually done because there's a typo or to make the card keep funcitoning when the rules change. (like when "target creature or player" became "any target" to account for a change and removal of the planeswalker redirection rule)
And yes that's how it used to work. If you had 3 mana up you could just Lutri at any time. It was a weird revision, sure, but modifying the rule was the only way to do it without powerlevel erata short of, well it's your proposed solution, banning all 10 of them.

Ah I getcha on the difference

I was just thinking about the original cards, cause they had the wrong rule printed on them

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Mezzanon posted:

currently working on uncurling some foils by rehydrating them. Will report back if it works with pics.

I've been doing this for the last month or so with a boveda humidity pack in tupperware. You might not end up with a perfectly flat card, but it definitely straightens them out enough to be indistinguishable from normal cards in sleeves, regardless of how badly pringled they once were. I double sleeve after the process, and haven't noticed my earlier attempts curling back up as of yet.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

mcmagic posted:

lol Winota spiked 400%

I have had zero inclination to play paper Magic* since 2000 until the recent announcements. A local LGS announced Pioneer events and I've been thinking about buying a Winota deck lol

*buddy had about 8 world championship decks spanning from about 2000-2002 and those were really fun to play against one another for a long while

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

lol

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I feel like I just unlocked an achievement by delivering all 20 points of damage with a Towashi Guide-Bot

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

wow those characters all are left-handed. never really noticed that before...

HEY... wait a minute...

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I too, as a right handed person, would never use my left hand to held anything in my life.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

if only there was another piece of his clothing/costume that is consistent with the artist not knowing garruk should have been left-handed.

it's just a joke in the end, no need to think too much into it.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
lmao a umori all sorcery deck appeared in yesterday's modern 5-0 dump

code:
Companion
1 Umori, the Collector

Deck
4 Beseech the Queen
1 Crime // Punishment
1 drat
1 Damnation
1 Dawnglow Infusion
1 Dig Up
1 Down // Dirty
1 Gaze of Granite
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
1 Mind Sludge
3 Path of Peril
4 Prismatic Ending
4 Profane Tutor
1 Rude Awakening
4 Sylvan Scrying
4 Torment of Hailfire
1 Bloodstained Mire
1 Boseiju, Who Endures
4 Cabal Coffers
1 Forest
1 Godless Shrine
1 Indatha Triome
4 Marsh Flats
1 Overgrown Tomb
1 Plains
2 Swamp
3 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
4 Verdant Catacombs

Sideboard
1 Bojuka Bog
1 Boseiju, Who Shelters All
1 Break the Ice
1 Culling Ritual
2 Duress
1 Farewell
1 Gaea's Blessing
1 Go Blank
1 Lingering Souls
1 Necromentia
1 The Elderspell
1 Thought Distortion
1 Timely Reinforcements
1 Umori, the Collector

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

tinaun posted:

lmao a umori all sorcery deck appeared in yesterday's modern 5-0 dump

code:
Companion
1 Umori, the Collector

Deck
4 Beseech the Queen
1 Crime // Punishment
1 drat
1 Damnation
1 Dawnglow Infusion
1 Dig Up
1 Down // Dirty
1 Gaze of Granite
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
1 Mind Sludge
3 Path of Peril
4 Prismatic Ending
4 Profane Tutor
1 Rude Awakening
4 Sylvan Scrying
4 Torment of Hailfire
1 Bloodstained Mire
1 Boseiju, Who Endures
4 Cabal Coffers
1 Forest
1 Godless Shrine
1 Indatha Triome
4 Marsh Flats
1 Overgrown Tomb
1 Plains
2 Swamp
3 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
4 Verdant Catacombs

Sideboard
1 Bojuka Bog
1 Boseiju, Who Shelters All
1 Break the Ice
1 Culling Ritual
2 Duress
1 Farewell
1 Gaea's Blessing
1 Go Blank
1 Lingering Souls
1 Necromentia
1 The Elderspell
1 Thought Distortion
1 Timely Reinforcements
1 Umori, the Collector

This is what happens when you put spells on lands!

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

What's the tech/strat here? Seems like empty their opponents hand, and wrath their opponents creatures long enough for you to use the different tutors to find Torment of Hailfire and basically cast X with a large enough number where they can't sac any more permanents or discard and take 3 damage.. and do that up to 4 times?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Strong Sauce posted:

What's the tech/strat here? Seems like empty their opponents hand, and wrath their opponents creatures long enough for you to use the different tutors to find Torment of Hailfire and basically cast X with a large enough number where they can't sac any more permanents or discard and take 3 damage.. and do that up to 4 times?

Yeah? Torment of hellfire is a perfectly acceptable finisher in big mana decks.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
And it's not like the opponent is in great shape if it doesn't kill. They'll be missing some combination of permanents, cards in hand, and life.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Obscura (esper) mechanic spoiled, looks like:

Looting gas can be a feel bad, but this is probably pretty good, depending on how cheaply they offer it.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
But torrent has no early or even mid game playability.
It's only good when you have a billion mana, and at that point, so is everything

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

HootTheOwl posted:

But torrent has no early or even mid game playability.
It's only good when you have a billion mana, and at that point, so is everything

If Banefire doesn't kill, then the opponent is left in whatever shape they started minus a lot of life. To avoid Torrent death, the opponent has to lose the ability to respond. X=7 banefire isn't a big deal. X=7 Torrent is lethal without discarding or sacrificing.

It's, basically, the most efficient way to kill a fucker with a sorcery.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the clearest way to put it imo is that torrent ends the game even if it doesn't outright kill your opponent

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

torrent owns y'all

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

If Banefire doesn't kill, then the opponent is left in whatever shape they started minus a lot of life. To avoid Torrent death, the opponent has to lose the ability to respond. X=7 banefire isn't a big deal. X=7 Torrent is lethal without discarding or sacrificing.

It's, basically, the most efficient way to kill a fucker with a sorcery.

But is it worth it for umori?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

kalel posted:

torrent owns y'all

This

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

HootTheOwl posted:

But is it worth it for umori?

What artifacts, creatures, enchantments, instants, or planeswalkers are that worth it compared to a discount?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

What artifacts, creatures, enchantments, instants, or planeswalkers are that worth it compared to a discount?

Karn, push, map, golos
Leyline, voidwalker out of the side

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

HootTheOwl posted:

Karn, push, map, golos
Leyline, voidwalker out of the side

I think you’re overthinking a meme deck

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I think you’re overthinking a meme deck

Its only a meme if it can't reproduce its results, and there currently is a big-mana coffers deck out there that is putting up results so everything we say here about Torrent cross-applies to mono-b

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TipTow posted:

I have had zero inclination to play paper Magic* since 2000 until the recent announcements. A local LGS announced Pioneer events and I've been thinking about buying a Winota deck lol

*buddy had about 8 world championship decks spanning from about 2000-2002 and those were really fun to play against one another for a long while

I needed a few cards for both the Fires deck and the Winota deck and ended up buying the Fires deck lol. I think Winota will come down a little but it was like 5 bucks a few days ago.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Brian Coval posted a 5-0 (10-0 in games) league on April Fool's playing MINOTAURS in Legacy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVe71xtwIno

I actually legitimately thought it was joke but he just plays MINOTAURS and sweeps a league against real competitive decks. It's an absolute must watch.

Highlight is Boros Battleshaper defeating multiple onboard Emrakuls across multiple matches, and also being a house against Delver. Boros Battleshaper the terror of the Legacy format?????

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

he mentioned that vid in the previous eternal glory episode, I remember him trying this deck previously and he went like 2-3 or something? So that rules lol

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Sick as poo poo, i love dumb tribal decks

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Welcome to the after-rag world in modern. It's living end and yorion
https://mtgmelee.com/Tournament/View/8591
257 paper entrants.
3 living end
3 4c yorion
1 izzet murktide
1 UW control

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Ultima66 posted:

Brian Coval posted a 5-0 (10-0 in games) league on April Fool's playing MINOTAURS in Legacy:

I actually legitimately thought it was joke but he just plays MINOTAURS and sweeps a league against real competitive decks. It's an absolute must watch.

Highlight is Boros Battleshaper defeating multiple onboard Emrakuls across multiple matches, and also being a house against Delver. Boros Battleshaper the terror of the Legacy format?????

Didgeridoo is a reserved list card and only 20 dollars.
Buy buy buy!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

HootTheOwl posted:

Welcome to the after-rag world in modern. It's living end and yorion
https://mtgmelee.com/Tournament/View/8591
257 paper entrants.
3 living end
3 4c yorion
1 izzet murktide
1 UW control

I loving hate living end

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

I remember when living end was cool, and it ran like a 5/4 beetle that attacked each turn or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Ultima66 posted:

This deck owns so hard, I love minotaurs.