Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I believe it was established way back in 'The Cage' that Pike is very into horses

Good news: we got the horse out of the hospital

Bad news: now it's in space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Knormal posted:

Just consider Discovery and its spinoffs a separate universe. There's no way to reconcile the stuff they're doing with classic Trek.

Honestly, I don't think there's a lot in Discovery that's incompatible with TOS. There's the Spore Drive, but that's explicitly mentioned to be a top secret experimental program that Starfleet sealed the records of after Discovery disappeared. There's the whole "Klingons are casually violent and obsessed with dying in battle and honor and don't care about diplomacy" thing, but that's a change that TNG made. I guess there's Spock having a human foster sister he never mentioned, but eh. A lot of the differences are just aesthetic, and that's due to the facts that, first, Discovery, unlike TOS, isn't being used to sell color TVs, and second that technology has advanced in 55 years and what we consider futuristic has too, so we no longer consider dials and toggle switches on consoles, computers that can talk to you, a handheld tablet that can display printed text and can be signed with a stylus, a cartridge based libray, or a communication device that can fit in your pocket to be cutting edge, futuristic marvels.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

FlamingLiberal posted:

I believe it was established way back in 'The Cage' that Pike is very into horses

Yep. From the transcript....he's talking to Dr. Boyce about his frustrations

quote:

PIKE: You bet I'm tired. You bet. I'm tired of being responsible for two hundred and three lives. I'm tired of deciding which mission is too risky and which isn't, and who's going on the landing party and who doesn't, and who lives and who dies. Boy, I've had it, Phil.
BOYCE: To the point of finally taking my advice, a rest leave?
PIKE: To the point of considering resigning.
BOYCE: And do what?
PIKE: Well, for one thing, go home. Nice little town with fifty miles of parkland around it. Remember I told you I had two horses, and we used to take some food and ride out all day.
BOYCE: Ah, that sounds exciting. Ride out with a picnic lunch every day.
PIKE: I said that's one place I might go. I might go into business on Regulus or on the Orion colony.
BOYCE: You, an Orion trader, dealing in green animal women, slaves?
PIKE: The point is this isn't the only life available. There's a whole galaxy of things to choose from.

I mean, I guess you can be glad that, of the two options, Strange New Worlds decided to go with the horses.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

blastron posted:

Star Trek has been pretty consistent in depicting computers as completely interoperable no matter where or when they came from. In Future’s End, Janeway was able to steal Cronowerx’s entire database by vaguely waving a tricorder at a desktop computer.

Tricorder makes it okay. That poo poo scans every connection and thing-a-tricorder-could-connect and is like "lmao can you believe this poo poo, here's a filetree of secrets for your perusal, IN LCARS"

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Even that goon Archer was somehow able to hack an ATM to spit out some cash using his dinky scanner, though I can't remember if ENT ever bothered to establish the capabilities of those little things.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Cranappleberry posted:

whereas breaking into a police car that was likely alarmed with no further plan other than hack a computer to get the location, then stealing the car and hoping to get the transporters back online with no engineering staff but a single scientist after attracting a ton of police attention. And for sure there were cameras outside the station.

I realize time is of the essence here but no attempt to work through the problem. No considering other options like Seven wanted to.

Seven can't drive well. What if someone had died during the chase? That'd gently caress up the timeline, too.

Also the characters themselves have limited knowledge of ICE and what ICE does. The audience does but the characters don't. It's ironic. They don't realize he wasn't taken by the LAPD or that he is going to be deported until the dude tells them.

This is easily explained by pointing out Rafi is an unstable moron. That's her core character trait across both seasons.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Who left her Supervisor role and became a Romulan Tal Shiar for most of her new life and married Gumbo.

Oh right that's it isn't it, all this time Picard is talking to her about givin up on non-interference and having a life is angling towards some kind of hypocrisy moment in the future. She's his watcher.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

CPColin posted:

Computer, disengage holodeck safety protocols

Excessive fat is now stored in the isoline....B̶͚͉͕̳͓̘̰͖͍͍̮̻͍͓̈́͂̀A̴̫̤͒̒̀̓̽̍̉̇̑̑̋̽́L̶̤̬̫̥̐̑̽̀͗̽̔́̈́́̏̔̽̕͠L̴̛̠̋͆̏͛̃̾S̶̩̮̓̒͐̒͆͆̏̋̈́͝

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Epicurius posted:

Honestly, I don't think there's a lot in Burnham that's incompatible with TOS. There's the Burnham, but that's explicitly mentioned to be a top secret experimental program that Starfleet sealed the records of after Burnham disappeared. There's the whole "Burnham are casually violent and obsessed with dying in battle and honor and don't care about Burnham" thing, but that's a change that TNG made. I guess there's Burnham having a human foster sister he never mentioned, but eh. A lot of the Burnham are just aesthetic, and that's due to the facts that, first, Burnham, unlike TOS, isn't being used to sell Burnham TVs, and second that technology has advanced in 55 years and what we consider Burnham has too, so we no longer consider dials and toggle switches on consoles, Burnham that can talk to you, a handheld Burnham that can display printed text and can be signed with a stylus, a cartridge based Burnham, or a communication Burnham that can fit in your pocket to be cutting edge, futuristic marvels.

There, fixed.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Scottie managed to synthesize Transparent Aluminum on a DOS computer. Suck it up, Frances.
It was a Mac, you fool!

Epicurius posted:

Honestly, I don't think there's a lot in Discovery that's incompatible with TOS. There's the Spore Drive, but that's explicitly mentioned to be a top secret experimental program that Starfleet sealed the records of after Discovery disappeared. There's the whole "Klingons are casually violent and obsessed with dying in battle and honor and don't care about diplomacy" thing, but that's a change that TNG made. I guess there's Spock having a human foster sister he never mentioned, but eh. A lot of the differences are just aesthetic, and that's due to the facts that, first, Discovery, unlike TOS, isn't being used to sell color TVs, and second that technology has advanced in 55 years and what we consider futuristic has too, so we no longer consider dials and toggle switches on consoles, computers that can talk to you, a handheld tablet that can display printed text and can be signed with a stylus, a cartridge based libray, or a communication device that can fit in your pocket to be cutting edge, futuristic marvels.
The thing is we explicitly see the TOS bridge twice in 90's Trek and it looks identical to the 60's bridge. I'm fine handwaving away the spore drive and Spock's secret foster sister and stuff like that, but I can't fit the technology into the timeline. I'll admit I only watched about half of Discovery season 1 so I don't have a lot to pull from here, but I can't believe they went from pop-up holographic displays to buttons in like a decade. And even if you ignore the TOS stuff everything in Discovery looks more advanced than even the Next-Gen era. Basically you have to ignore all the visuals in prior Trek, and at that point you might as well consider it separate. Enterprise handled the same problem a lot better, it still looked more advanced that TOS of course but not ridiculously so.

Then there's the general timeline stuff. They have holographic communications where who you're talking to appears standing in front of you when that was explicitly a new breakthrough introduced and commented on in DS9 (then dropped because apparently it was too confusing for audiences that the character wasn't "really" there). There was apparently a full-scale Federation/Klingon war with weird giant-headed people-eating Klingons never mentioned or seen again. They have people with full cybernetic implants when Geordi's visor was considered groundbreaking a century later. They discovered the mirror universe ahead of Kirk but I guess classified it away along with the spore stuff. Oh and apparently mirror universe people can't take our well-lit starships because they're evil so they like it dark? I totally get what you're saying that if they made a new show conforming to the TOS or even TNG visuals it wouldn't look very futuristic, but that's why you do what the Kelvinverse did and call it an alternate timeline, or do what Picard did and set it even more in the future, then it doesn't matter. I just personally can't fit what Discovery showed us in to prior canon.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Lower Decks is the best of the new shows imo
It's amazing what happens when you take old lore and say "what if?" instead of "how do we gently caress up?"

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

DaveKap posted:

It's amazing what happens when you take old lore and say "what if?" instead of "how do we gently caress up?"

It's amazing what happens when you say 'this episode of a tv show needs to have a beginning, middle and end of a story and ideally one or more of the characters should learn some sort of lesson along the way'.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
And when a show is written by people who obviously know and love Trek beyond the pitiful "here's a reference!" of the live shows.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Knormal posted:

The thing is we explicitly see the TOS bridge twice in 90's Trek and it looks identical to the 60's bridge. I'm fine handwaving away the spore drive and Spock's secret foster sister and stuff like that, but I can't fit the technology into the timeline. I'll admit I only watched about half of Discovery season 1 so I don't have a lot to pull from here, but I can't believe they went from pop-up holographic displays to buttons in like a decade. And even if you ignore the TOS stuff everything in Discovery looks more advanced than even the Next-Gen era. Basically you have to ignore all the visuals in prior Trek, and at that point you might as well consider it separate. Enterprise handled the same problem a lot better, it still looked more advanced that TOS of course but not ridiculously so.

Then there's the general timeline stuff. They have holographic communications where who you're talking to appears standing in front of you when that was explicitly a new breakthrough introduced and commented on in DS9 (then dropped because apparently it was too confusing for audiences that the character wasn't "really" there). There was apparently a full-scale Federation/Klingon war with weird giant-headed people-eating Klingons never mentioned or seen again. They have people with full cybernetic implants when Geordi's visor was considered groundbreaking a century later. They discovered the mirror universe ahead of Kirk but I guess classified it away along with the spore stuff. Oh and apparently mirror universe people can't take our well-lit starships because they're evil so they like it dark? I totally get what you're saying that if they made a new show conforming to the TOS or even TNG visuals it wouldn't look very futuristic, but that's why you do what the Kelvinverse did and call it an alternate timeline, or do what Picard did and set it even more in the future, then it doesn't matter. I just personally can't fit what Discovery showed us in to prior canon.

Just repeat to yourself “it’s just a show, I should really just relax”.

I don’t mean that facetiously, that’s really what you should do. Star Trek is a TV show, and sacrifices must be made to absolute continuity purity in order to at least attempt to make entertaining television. TOS had the production design it did because it was a TV show in the 1960s, and not because a considered theoretical construction of the far future concluded that the advanced materials that would be used to created a real FTL starship would look identical to cheap plywood. The OG Enterprise bridge looks the same in the TNG and DS9 episodes because they were one-off nostalgic gags, not real attempts to re-do the location with modern technology.

This poo poo happens all the time. For all the complaints about the DISCO Klingons, it’s the second time they have completely changed them. TOS and TNG Klingons are basically entirely different species that look and act totally unalike. Even this last episode of Picard, by recanonising Gary Seven and the fact that Kirk and co met him, they are also re-establishing that the Enterprise used to casually travel back in time to study the past. Which completely breaks the rest of the continuity in a hundred ways. But Gary Seven is a fun callback, so who gives a poo poo?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Discovery isn't Canon because, and this is critical, I don't want it to be.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Comrade Fakename posted:

Just repeat to yourself “it’s just a show, I should really just relax”.

I don’t mean that facetiously, that’s really what you should do. Star Trek is a TV show, and sacrifices must be made to absolute continuity purity in order to at least attempt to make entertaining television. TOS had the production design it did because it was a TV show in the 1960s, and not because a considered theoretical construction of the far future concluded that the advanced materials that would be used to created a real FTL starship would look identical to cheap plywood. The OG Enterprise bridge looks the same in the TNG and DS9 episodes because they were one-off nostalgic gags, not real attempts to re-do the location with modern technology.

This poo poo happens all the time. For all the complaints about the DISCO Klingons, it’s the second time they have completely changed them. TOS and TNG Klingons are basically entirely different species that look and act totally unalike. Even this last episode of Picard, by recanonising Gary Seven and the fact that Kirk and co met him, they are also re-establishing that the Enterprise used to casually travel back in time to study the past. Which completely breaks the rest of the continuity in a hundred ways. But Gary Seven is a fun callback, so who gives a poo poo?

But what aesthetically did we gain? Everything new looks like generic poo poo. Discovery is now just another sci fi, only dumber. It's aesthetic tries to ape the Expanse but utterly fails. The color grading is obnoxious and just follows the worst trends of modern film to color correct everything to look wrong. Watch like any other modern show and then watch nuTrek. It looks wrong. Like the Picard episode this week is massively color corrected orange for no god damned reason. A lot of Trek works together because it's feels like it's part of the same universe. Nothing in Discovery or Picard looks like it's out old Trek, they just match the new lovely generic vision. Trek used to set its' own visual standards instead of just doing modern sci-fi trends, now it follows them blindly. Also they did update the TOS bridge for ENT, and it looked great. In a Mirror Darkly was not only a great two parter, but it showed that you can do the TOS aesthetic and make it look more 'techy'.

As for the makeup changed, the Klingon changes happened for good reason earlier given the kind of racist original design, but that was still acknowledged later on. Meanwhile why do Andorians, Tellarites, and Orions (to name a few) look entirely different now? (and worse with the possible exception of the tellarites) And I don't think Picard's callbacks are fun. If they had substance to them, understanding why people liked them, then I'd forgive it, like I was at the start of the season. But now it's just listing references in your lovely heist show to try and distract that it's hollow.

Like this comparison is on my mind since I watched the new Picard alongside the Halo show and it's ridiculous how not only do John Halo's adventures look awesome without any obnoxious color grading, it's also just a better sci fi show that tells a story each episode with a beginning, middle, and end. Somehow John Halo is a better character than Jean Luc Picard nowadays.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Eimi posted:

But what aesthetically did we gain? Everything new looks like generic poo poo. Discovery is now just another sci fi, only dumber. It's aesthetic tries to ape the Expanse but utterly fails. The color grading is obnoxious and just follows the worst trends of modern film to color correct everything to look wrong. Watch like any other modern show and then watch nuTrek. It looks wrong. Like the Picard episode this week is massively color corrected orange for no god damned reason. A lot of Trek works together because it's feels like it's part of the same universe. Nothing in Discovery or Picard looks like it's out old Trek, they just match the new lovely generic vision. Trek used to set its' own visual standards instead of just doing modern sci-fi trends, now it follows them blindly. Also they did update the TOS bridge for ENT, and it looked great. In a Mirror Darkly was not only a great two parter, but it showed that you can do the TOS aesthetic and make it look more 'techy'.

As for the makeup changed, the Klingon changes happened for good reason earlier given the kind of racist original design, but that was still acknowledged later on. Meanwhile why do Andorians, Tellarites, and Orions (to name a few) look entirely different now? (and worse with the possible exception of the tellarites) And I don't think Picard's callbacks are fun. If they had substance to them, understanding why people liked them, then I'd forgive it, like I was at the start of the season. But now it's just listing references in your lovely heist show to try and distract that it's hollow.

Like this comparison is on my mind since I watched the new Picard alongside the Halo show and it's ridiculous how not only do John Halo's adventures look awesome without any obnoxious color grading, it's also just a better sci fi show that tells a story each episode with a beginning, middle, and end. Somehow John Halo is a better character than Jean Luc Picard nowadays.

Well now you just made it too obvious

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Well now you just made it too obvious

Being a better show than Picard isn't a high bar whatever you think of the Halo show.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Also, it really needs to be said - their single scientist is someone who spent her life working on robots. But we see in season 1, they left a dying man in her care because why wouldn't a robot scientist know everything about medicine.

And now they're doing it with the transporter.

Well she's in charge of the ship and transporter in the last couple episodes cause she's literally the only person they have.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
True. It's not like they could leave Raffi alone on the ship and expect to return to anything except a charred crater.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I did notice they threw in ‘former spy’ to describe Raffi this episode. Is that the first time that’s been brought up?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Cranappleberry posted:

whereas breaking into a police car that was likely alarmed with no further plan other than hack a computer to get the location, then stealing the car and hoping to get the transporters back online with no engineering staff but a single scientist after attracting a ton of police attention. And for sure there were cameras outside the station.

I realize time is of the essence here but no attempt to work through the problem. No considering other options like Seven wanted to.

We are all getting they are going for some hamfisted commentary about white privilege in a crisis situation, right? Like, "Black people fight fascism like this [reacts with the charged desperation and outrage of someone who sees death and oppression all around them], but white people fight fascism like this [follows the rules]."

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 3, 2022

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Knormal posted:

Just consider Discovery and its spinoffs a separate universe. There's no way to reconcile the stuff they're doing with classic Trek.

Just stop considering TOS canon and that fixes most lore issues, dating back to TNG maybe even TAS. TOS was thrown together a thousand years ago, got cancelled fast, and they never planned ahead for a decades long franchise with tons of other shows under its umbrella. TOS is good to get some trekky aesthetics and stuff but it's events and stories are too dated to reconcile with how the franchise has grown. Just think of it as a apocryphal place where a lot of characters and things can be salvaged from for use in modern Treks. They probably should've just remade TOS but SNW will be close enough.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, it’s easier to think of TOS as the cheap documentary version of 23rd century events someone made in the nebulous future. That’s why I’m not really bothered by the aesthetic changes.

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

New trek is not only canon, it's more canon

Charity Porno
Aug 2, 2021

by Hand Knit

HD DAD posted:

Yeah, it’s easier to think of TOS as the cheap documentary version of 23rd century events someone made in the nebulous future. That’s why I’m not really bothered by the aesthetic changes.

Anyone whining about the Enterprise bridge not having unlabeled jellybean buttons and dials that go "whoooo oooooh whoooo oooooh whooooo" would guaranteed be 100 percent complaining if it still did.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

New SNW trailer looks kind of reminiscent of Star Trek: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL4iCAB6MFo

Charity Porno
Aug 2, 2021

by Hand Knit

Drink-Mix Man posted:

New SNW trailer looks kind of reminiscent of Star Trek: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL4iCAB6MFo

I'm actually very excited for this, and have been since S2 Discovery when it was clear they could do a fantastic spinoff.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
It looks good, I like the set designs and the bits of alien-of-the-week settings they showed

The dialogue is a little "well that just happened" but that's how every single genre TV show is written nowadays

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
my only beef is the boyband hair style looks a little weird silver-foxed but he's a pretty man so I guess no reason to lean away from it.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Eimi posted:

But what aesthetically did we gain? Everything new looks like generic poo poo. Discovery is now just another sci fi, only dumber. It's aesthetic tries to ape the Expanse but utterly fails. The color grading is obnoxious and just follows the worst trends of modern film to color correct everything to look wrong. Watch like any other modern show and then watch nuTrek. It looks wrong. Like the Picard episode this week is massively color corrected orange for no god damned reason.

The lighting bit is the one thing that I don't like. I've never even watched TOS, so I don't really give a poo poo about the exact details but come on, show us a vision of the future where people can still afford friggin' lightbulbs. We get it, your show is moody and edgy and dark, but at least give us a bridge where people aren't gonna trip over poo poo cause they can't see. The medbay in that trailer is beautiful, just make the bridge like that, too, and I'm happy.

Compare this:

To this:

That second shot looks like they're in a nightclub, come on.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

The Chairman posted:

The dialogue is a little "well that just happened" but that's how every single genre TV show is written nowadays

Plus I think that's mostly something they do for the trailers. A 42-minute episode of Star Trek probably isn't gonna be wall-to-wall Whedon quips, thankfully. Even if an errant "yum yum" sneaks through sometimes, we've still got Star Trek's built-in tonal firewall of violin recitals and JAG hearings keeping most of the Marvel tendencies at bay.

Charity Porno
Aug 2, 2021

by Hand Knit
I think both those second shots are more visually interesting than flat lighting TOS

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I can't tell you how glad I am that there's no hint of 'WE MUST PERSONALLY SAVE THE ENTIRE GALAXY' like every single season of Disco

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
You know what I hope they bring back for SNW? Episode titles after the opening credits. I really miss those.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I wonder if we’ll ever get a ‘Space… the final frontier.” intro again.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Charity Porno posted:

I'm actually very excited for this, and have been since S2 Discovery when it was clear they could do a fantastic spinoff.

So am I, I just keep hoping it avoids being shitastic. Nurse Chapel going Three Stooges on Spock was a good step in the right direction, as was Uhura pointing out that Spock loves time limits.

One thing that points up something- he turns to Number One and as an aside says 'I love this job'

This show hopefully is taking place at the start of his Enterprise command, and The Talos IV stuff must take place wayyyy later (oh please don't bring it up until at least the fourth season) because by then he's talking to a different ships doctor (Boyce, not M'benga) effectively saying over a martini that his job now sucks.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 3, 2022

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The_Doctor posted:

I wonder if we’ll ever get a ‘Space… the final frontier.” intro again.

Not in SNW just going by how much they tap danced around just saying the drat thing. The trailer was like "what if we just use a thesaurus for the iconic starfleet mandate instead of just saying it?"

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
poo poo for a moment I thought the woman that Spock kissed was Uhura and I was like "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!"

Whew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Binary Badger posted:

This show hopefully is taking place at the start of his Enterprise command, and The Talos IV stuff must take place wayyyy later (oh please don't bring it up until at least the fourth season) because by then he's talking to a different ships doctor (Boyce, not M'benga) effectively saying over a martini that his job now sucks.
It's 100% set after Discovery Season 2, because we see him dealing with the whole seeing his future thing from that season

and in Disco S2 we find out that the events of The Cage are in the past