Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Thanks for posting about a new Root expansion, it's on my list now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Root: Marauders has started fulfilment to Euro+Rest of World, North America should start next week, Aus+NZ later this month.
No idea on when it'll hit retail, and late pledges are closed, but I would assume it's going to be in the later half this year.

------------------------------------------------

Sister in Law is selling her old family table, and it's a big beefy boi I'm looking at picking up for cheap as a gaming table because it could easily fit 8.

------------------------------------------------

Had a game night at a friends last night
- Quacks of Quid + Herb Witches is an instant hit. 5 players with 1 shot powers? Yes please. One of my friends 4 year old son helped play along and was doing all the number counting for them. Can't wait for the coin capsules to arrive and deluxify this bad boy, as I'm enamoured with it.
Drew a +6 Pumpkin + a Duplicate Locoweed on my last turn which secured my victory :slick:
- Had a 2 player game of Alhambra, beefed the rules a bit, but it was a fun little tile layer and I can see why it was so popular. Have always wanted to play it since seeing it on Tabletop many years ago. Not sure if it did anything for me personally, but I wouldn't say no if someone asked to play a round as it was pretty speedy.
- Finished the evening with Potion Panic which my other friends had been playing religiously for a bit, so got taught the rules and had a fun little time. Apparently it's a huge hit with one of my mates kids. Got my arse handed to me, but it was fun trying to combo explosions together.

King Burgundy posted:

all of us thought it seemed really hard for the humans to win.

Give it a few plays. Our group has 6 games of it under our belt and I've seen it swing wildly both ways, and also had a really close battle that ended with a Human victory right at the end.

I've yet to be a Fish Friend :negative:

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Website says root marauders will hit retail late q3

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

Infinitum posted:

Quacks of Quid + Herb Witches
+6 Pumpkin

in non meme-news, punching Oceans was painful. someone who has punched AFFO is probably laughing at me now.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

didn’t AFfO come prepunched or did I just literally block it out of my memory

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

You blocked out the 20hrs it took to punch it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Infinitum posted:

idk, I remember the multiple hours I’ve spent punching and clipping counters for the ASL starter kits, but that might just be because of some gnarly wrist pain from the clipper

i guess there’s a nonzero chance my spouse punched it while I read the rules, I just thought it might have been one of those delightful and sadly rare games where a well-thought-out box insert was paired with pre-punched tokens.

Speaking of bad inserts I just spent several hours tonight separating and sorting the apprentice spellbooks in a used copy of Mage Wars only to find that the insert doesn’t seem to have anywhere sane to put the giant pile of spell cards, what the gently caress. I wouldn’t be surprised for most games but this thing is so obviously focused on slick components (two little spellbooks full of card sleeve pages? c’mon, that’s rad) that it seems like either a weird oversight or I’m just super dumb and missed something obvious.

also, just quoting myself here:

Rockman Reserve posted:

Hive is probably one of my favorite and most-played games, but by god I don't think there has ever been a situation where the pillbug expansion tile has ever been useful at all.

The ladybug, on the other hand, the ladybug wins games.

I only play Hive with my spouse but we play it a ton, I’m seriously wondering if we both have some kind of strategic blind spot about how the pillbug should be used. As it stands it’s literally just a tile we throw down and never move or utilize.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Infinitum posted:

It didn't take me 20 hours to punch it, more like 45 minutes. That was the year I saved over 1kg in luggage weight by punching all my games before I came back from Germany though.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

JoeRules posted:

in non meme-news, punching Oceans was painful. someone who has punched AFFO is probably laughing at me now.

The part of Oceans causing me most pain right now is that it's at the bottom of my Heap O' Games and I have a single fish token that we found on the floor that needs to go back into it.

(I love Oceans and play it any chance I get.)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Well, I played a little game called pampas railroads, a real Winsome Games game with construction paper shares and all.

It was neat! Chicago Express, but with predefined point to point routes, exactly five shares per company, much more board reason to develop, a set number of dividend rounds, and probably double the length of time to play. The way people's incentives shifted as differentiated share portfolios developed was real cool.

I'm not entirely sure it's enough cooler than Chex to justify the time, but I'm very glad to have try it and would play it again.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

I sold Root. I tried to do 2 games teaching it to my regular group (3 players + myself) and most of us bounced off hard.
Little disappointing cause the critters and art are so drat good but it just wasn't meant to be.

On the plus side, I did pick up a copy of the new Azul: Queen's Garden and boy it's fantastic. I've played original, Summer and this one and this is BY FAR my favourite of them all.
I have only played it at 2 player so far, but half a dozen games in and it's super satisfying to play. Just the right amount of interaction and a really fun puzzler. Highly recommend.

Also, our copy f Stardew Valley (2nd print) arrived and it's such a nice Sunday game to just... play.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Whats a good rec for 8 players? We’re renting a house for Easter, and I’d like to pack a couple of games.

I have Avalon and Decrypto. I feel that a PnP of Blood on the Clocktower may work better than Avalon just so I can push the players to interact (they are new to boardgames) but :effort:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Fat Samurai posted:

Whats a good rec for 8 players? We’re renting a house for Easter, and I’d like to pack a couple of games.

I have Avalon and Decrypto. I feel that a PnP of Blood on the Clocktower may work better than Avalon just so I can push the players to interact (they are new to boardgames) but :effort:

Insider and Codenames are both great and can handle 8. Codenames works good at 8 (2 teams of 3 with a spymaster each) and Insider is okay at 8 (still only one Insider, but with both more space to hide and more people to cotton on to your flim-flam). The only potential downside for Insider at 8 is the pressure is more individualized in Insider than in Avalon, because at least in Avalon you have each other to lean on.

Wavelength would probably be similar at 8, though I haven't personally played the physical version. I don't know if you can get a physical copy right now, but if you can't they released a terrific version of the game on a free app with optional expansions. However, the change is fully cooperative instead of team-based competitive, but should still be a laugh.

If anyone cancels, Just One (Co-op) maxes at 7 but is terrific and absolutely a perfect entry point for non-gamers.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
You could easily play just one with 8, its just a component limitation of the little plastic stands and erasable markers in the box. You could absolutely just give the dude a a piece of paper and a pen and get along just fine.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/262547/dont-get-got would be a good pickup for a long weekend situation.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/359999/agricola-15

quote:

Agricola 15 celebrates the 15th anniversary of Uwe Rosenberg's Agricola by packing a lot of material created since the game's debut into a single XXL box: the revised edition of the Agricola base game, the complete Artifex and Bubulcus expansion decks, promo items that were previously long gone, some novelties (and no, you don't have all the L-Deck cards yet...), and a well-organized inlay for quick set-up.

In total, Agricola 15 contains 430 cards, more than 200 tokens, and more than 270 wooden components. This set is compatible with both the Farmers of the Moor expansion and the expansion for five and six players.

1.) Cool. Hope the price point is worth while.
2.) What the gently caress is the point of a Big Box release that doesn't include all the expansion, particularly the extra players.
3.) Agricola 15 is a dumb naming convention. Fight me.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Fat Samurai posted:

The classic board game nerd's response to this question is two four player games. Actual gameplay is really hard to rig up past 6 players.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Fat Samurai posted:

One Night Werewolf, of course. Internal Affairs is not as well known as it should be as well, although it's not a game you want to spend all evening playing.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Fat Samurai posted:

Captain Sonar is great at 8 & only 8

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Fat Samurai posted:

Blood on the Clocktower plays great at 8-12, and it's a great game for mixing boardgame newbs and vets, and also "smart" and "dumb" people. The Storyteller has a lot of tools to keep veterans from running away with the game.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Infinitum posted:

2.) What the gently caress is the point of a Big Box release that doesn't include all the expansion, particularly the extra players.

To extract more money from you for this bad game, same as every other Agricola-related release in the past 15 years.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
My favourite 8 player game by a huge margin is Space Cadets: Dice Duels.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Fat Samurai posted:

Whats a good rec for 8 players?

Sidereal confluence or captain sonar

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Triskelli posted:

Captain Sonar is great at 8 & only 8

I have this and, on the one hand, I’ll never get a better chance to play it but, on the other hand, may scare them.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

People are super hesitant to split the party into to two so you can play two games at a reasonable player count but it's either do that or the game you're playing is second to the party you're having. Which imo is perfectly ok; I get a headache trying to get into a game when more than 5 people are seated at the table. Just too much mental input.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

get talisman and an expansion and you can just add as many players as you want

FTJ
Mar 1, 2003

BTB's Monty Python pro-star!

Fat Samurai posted:

Sidereal Confluence and Captain Sonar are my go-to games whenever we have that high a playercount.
For lighter fare I would recommend Quest which improves on Avalon quite a bit I think.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Fat Samurai posted:

With expansions Cosmic Encounter will play 8 :rms:, or play Diplomacy and fill the role of referee!

I was going to say Avalon but then reread your post. I think there's a lot of interaction in Avalon if you're pushing for each decision, but you know your group. My memory is failing -- does 7 Wonders + Cities play 8? I've never tried it, it seems possible, but can't remember if it's explicitly recommended.

I think Captain Sonar is a good recommendation as is Codenanes. Different games of course, you know your group best.

Dune with expansions will play 8 but probably not a good idea for a beginner group.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
My game of 1848 went really well, I was very impressed by the game, so glad I bought it and hopefully I can get it back to the table soon!! The whole decision space of taking loans for cash flow vs keeping your companies moving forward is very interesting. I went for the cash flow and won with three companies (haven't owned three companies in an 18xx in decades; normally I'm too conservative for that, but it seemed like the right thing to do). Naturally further play with this group will be way more competitive as we've now seen how the game plays out and can do a way better job of planning.

Today it's Clash of Cultures Monumental Edition, noting we are only playing the base game as its been a long time since I played Clash of Cultures and two of the players have never played it. It looks good and even though there's a lot to teach, it doesn't seem as if it should be too difficult to learn. Hopefully we can get more plays in of this game as well as I'd like to play with the expansions too.

If I ever won one of those mega lotteries (hard to do when you don't buy a ticket but who knows) I'd buy a giant piece of land, put four houses on it and invite 3 other people, each with their own house. They could live rent free as long as they agreed to play a BGG 3.0+ rating every week :)

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Mayveena posted:

live rent free as long as they agreed to play a BGG 3.0+ rating every week :)

only once a week? at least three!

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Rockman Reserve posted:

I only play Hive with my spouse but we play it a ton, I’m seriously wondering if we both have some kind of strategic blind spot about how the pillbug should be used. As it stands it’s literally just a tile we throw down and never move or utilize.
(Haven't played Hive in years, so memory might be a bit fuzzy)

To us, the pillbug changed how we had to approach the battlefield, it's basically an extra layer of defense you need to breach when surrounding the enemy queen. You also need to neutralize the pillbug's escape route for the queen.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Fat Samurai posted:

Lots of good recommendations so far, but some I haven't seen yet are Incan Gold/Diamant, Telestrations, Cash 'n' Guns(with the Team Spirit expansion to cut down the chaos), and Sushi Go Party.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

The pillbug usually ends up being the most important piece on the field when I play. It's a very powerful defensive tool when it covers tiles next to your queen and usually forces the opponent to use high value bugs (like beetles) just to block it.
Pillbug+mosquito is also very strong.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Infinitum posted:

Give it a few plays. Our group has 6 games of it under our belt and I've seen it swing wildly both ways, and also had a really close battle that ended with a Human victory right at the end.

I've yet to be a Fish Friend :negative:

Is there anything in particular your group is doing as humans strategically in the games you win.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

6nimmt, Bohnanza

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

Radioactive Toy posted:

I just ordered Three Kingdoms Redux based on the recent impressions in this thread and a review on BGG. My usual weekly group is 3 total so it's neat to have a game designed for 3. I ordered directly from the designers in Singapore so shipping was pretty extreme to the US, but happy to support them.

This arrived last week and I finally opened and punched everything. I was doing it in a bit of low-light and didn't realize until the end that a few of the punch boards (and thus the pieces that were on them) as well as the cards have a crusty, brown gunk on them. Not sure if this was mold from being stored in their warehouses / houses for years or what. There's no musty or off smell, and everything feels completely dry. Contemplating contacting the publisher but who knows if other copies would have the same issue or if I should worry at all.

Edit: added a few pictures of the components and card back with the stuff on it, and then also the discolored sides of a deck and discoloration in the box that may or may not be related. The blemish on the piece and cards back can be scratched off so it's not a print issue. Honestly now that the components have been rubbing up against each other they already seem to have rubbed whatever it was off I'm not too concerned as long as it doesn't seem to be harmful.

Radioactive Toy fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 4, 2022

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Admiralty Flag posted:

Dune with expansions will play 8 but probably not a good idea for a beginner group.

Dune is my absolute favourite, I'm always up for a game of it whenever. But I'll never play it 8 player again, for any reason. Just a wholly unpleasant experience.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Clash of Cultures didn't go well, too much random poo poo for too long of a time. We could have finished 1840 in the time it took the four of us to play Clash of Cultures. No one liked it, and some felt Twilight Imperium IV would have been a better choice for the 5 hours we spent.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
Mostly wound up playing wargames (Dropfleet Commander) and card games ( Netrunner: Startup Nisei ) and watching movies in a hot tub over this weekend at a friend's beach house, but got in a few rounds with Mysterium Park which, yep, is just smaller/faster Mysterium. I prefer the original, but for a travel edition it works well. We played with 3 and 5 players both.

Also played probably 6 games of Calico. My wife was determined to like it, despite recognizing some immediate problems. It's got a high degree of randomness to it, due to the limited pool of tiles. Players also quickly reach the point where to win they need one specific tile, and it's immediately apparent which one, and you can win the game by dicking over your opponent by taking said tile, which they'll probably never see again. We tried increasing the 'hand' of tiles, increasing the pool, a few other things, but ultimately it's just too much randomness combined with what feels like deterministic play based on probabilities. A bot could play this game at expert level with a simple flow chart. gently caress that.

At least it didn't end in a board flip like at last beach weekend. Since 1998, our lifelong tabletop group has had three; 878 Vikings in 2021 because "the English can't loving win, it's impossible, or we're playing it wrong and all too stupid to figure out why!", High Frontier in 2012 because "this is just nerd Mousetrap, a Rube-Goldberg astronaut murder simulator!" (over four hours for the first game, with no one scoring any points, and a lot of corpses strewn about the solar system), and Zombies with the mall expansion in 2005 due to some kind of bullshit rules lawyering kangaroo court drama over tile legality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

:cool::hf::cool: Hey me too.

I'm curious to hear about how it went. I posted about my day in the dedicated Netrunner thread but NISEI talk in the board game thread is how I found out about it, so I encourage everyone to talk about how NISEI and Netrunner kick rear end.