Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

That's half of either of Amex Gold's credits, but better than nothing, and carryover is pretty nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Do you have to have DashPass to use that?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Small White Dragon posted:

Do you have to have DashPass to use that?

Dashpass is free if you have a CSR.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Thoguh posted:

Dashpass is free if you have a CSR.

I thought that was only for one years worth?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Small White Dragon posted:

I thought that was only for one years worth?

That's been extended as well.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
How often do you have to use a CC to keep it from being cancelled? I am going to run through everything once this month and pay them all off. I know credit length is important, I am at like 4.5 years avg now and don't want to lose that, I know it stays on my record awhile anyway. Only reason I ask is because they cancelled my Kohls card a few years ago because I used it like once or twice. I stop using these cards when I get a new one, except for the Amazon 5% one. Thanks for reading!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I would just buy a tank of gas once every 6 months or a year to keep it active. I accidentally let my first credit card get canceled after I got my adult daily driver. Whoops! RIP that 12 year history

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Michael Corleone posted:

How often do you have to use a CC to keep it from being cancelled? I am going to run through everything once this month and pay them all off. I know credit length is important, I am at like 4.5 years avg now and don't want to lose that, I know it stays on my record awhile anyway. Only reason I ask is because they cancelled my Kohls card a few years ago because I used it like once or twice. I stop using these cards when I get a new one, except for the Amazon 5% one. Thanks for reading!

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/which-banks-close-credit-cards-for-inactivity/

It really depends on the banks in question. Generally once every 6 months will for sure keep them open. Once a year will probably keep them open.

Cards stay on your report for 10 years after being closed.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
Do other people like plan out a credit card for different things?

I went through kind of the 5% categories and stuff and ended up with a spreadsheet saying charge this here and this here to maximize rewards.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

pseudanonymous posted:

I went through kind of the 5% categories and stuff and ended up with a spreadsheet saying charge this here and this here to maximize rewards.

I think doing this to my wife would be grounds for divorce.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

pseudanonymous posted:

I think each individual has a certain tolerance for this. Personally I only carry 2 cards at any given time which is usually a daily driver and a 5% card for something specific.

BabyJebus
Jan 19, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

I think doing this to my wife would be grounds for divorce.

One of my friends used a label maker to label all his wife’s cards.
“Groceries”
“Gas”
“Restaurants”
“Frivolous”
Yes, really, and yes they’re still married.

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.
Is there any actual benefit to an American Express Platinum card if you don't travel a lot? Amex keeps sending offers my way but I'm not seeing a lot of positives from "upgrading" from my Blue Cash Preferred card.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Virtue posted:

I think each individual has a certain tolerance for this. Personally I only carry 2 cards at any given time which is usually a daily driver and a 5% card for something specific.

My thought was more like recurring bills and getting those maximized and mostly just getting a good 2.5% cashback card for everything else, not literally having like 10 cards in my wallet.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

I carry my daily driver cards physically, but I have my specialty cards loaded in my digital wallet (Samsung Pay for me), so I can bust them out whenever I need to and still don't have to carry a dozen cards.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The biggest scam is having the bonus category be recurring stuff like streaming services or utilities because they want you to switch it and then forget to switch it back.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

And that's why you get the US Bank Cash+.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

smackfu posted:

The biggest scam is having the bonus category be recurring stuff like streaming services or utilities because they want you to switch it and then forget to switch it back.

i just got the blue cash preferred kuz well babby wanted a cool amex to be classy but also kuz its 6% back on streaming things and also grocery. 3% on gas also. not bad. anyways i pay for literally every streaming service which all my rich STEM friends leech and yet theyve never given me a cent? hmmmmm??????? ghost of karl marx i need you now. seek righteous vengeance on these vampires

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
amex gave me 23% apr and 1k limit lol. wow. stingy fuckers. like 750 credit score or smth. hosed up. will continue to strive for embiggeringment of the credit number

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

pseudanonymous posted:

Easiest strategy is one 2% or more cash back card. Easy peasy.

A combo strategy can squeeze a little more value. 2% driver plus a rewards card with some 3-6% categories. Not too tricky.

Min-maxers end up with three or more cards, using each one for a different specific purpose. Detailed point redemption/multiplier rules are involved, but the effective reward rate jumps to 3-10%

BabyJebus posted:

“Groceries”
“Gas”
“Restaurants”
“Frivolous”

Is your friend Ask Sebby?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Hello, I use different cards based on which gets the best deal on each purchase. Currently I have 6 credit cards in my wallet.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

Hello, I use different cards based on which gets the best deal on each purchase. Currently I have 6 credit cards in my wallet.

costanza wallet rear end mf

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

BabyJebus posted:

“Groceries”
“Gas”
“Restaurants”
“Frivolous”

I did this for my dad.

I have cards I carry, store cards, and other online only cards to max rewards and use them accordingly, it becomes muscle memory extremely quickly.

Girbot fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Apr 6, 2022

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Smythe posted:

opening up your accordion wallet and it flops down from your hand to the floor, as one does

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Smythe posted:

New thread title

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

6 is more than usual because i need to test to see if my alliant 2.5% is actually going to give me 2.5% this quarter or if i need to use the fidelity 2%

The 6 also includes the costco card which i really don't need to carry around unless I'm going to costco because besides using as a costco membership card i normally only use it when buying gas (4%) but the discover it is doing 5% on gas this quarter

e: oh wait, i also only buy gas at costco because it's always cheaper but they dont take discover anyway so i don't need to carry the discover around at all

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
I got this new CITI card and it gives you 5% back on the category you spend most on each month automatically, we'll see how that works, usually it is gas stations for me because I drink a lot.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

Michael Corleone posted:

I got this new CITI card and it gives you 5% back on the category you spend most on each month automatically, we'll see how that works, usually it is gas stations for me because I drink a lot.

They also just opened up to being allowed to product change to this card.

I changed my Double Cash to the Custom Cash since I have the Fidelity 2% as well and can now have another 5% category instead of having 2 last resort cards.

No signup bonus with product change, but I want to keep my inquiries low for the time being.

Was an easy 10 minute phone call.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

pseudanonymous posted:

When I was aiming for cash back I had like a 6 card setup planned out but then I realized I don't want to carry 6 fuckin cards around and also I want a bunch of points to go on sick vacations.

So now I just carry whatever card I'm churning plus my Amex Gold and CSP as backups.

Edit: There's an app called Max Rewards some YouTube credit card dudes shill for that is cool and tells you which card gives you the best bonus wherever you're at. Some people got their Chase accounts locked down because it was logging in too much or didn't handle 2FA right or something, though. So use at your own risk I guess.

Smythe posted:

amex gave me 23% apr and 1k limit lol. wow. stingy fuckers. like 750 credit score or smth. hosed up. will continue to strive for embiggeringment of the credit number

There was a time you could request and get a 3X credit limit increase at 61 days of account age. Then people started saying it was 91 days. IDK though I got denied at both lmao. Probably because I got 2 other cards from them in that time.

Shroomie fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 6, 2022

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

The Amex platinum digital entertainment credit is actually useable for something good now:

quote:

Experience the latest shows, audiobooks, music, news, and recipes. Get up to $20 in statement credits each month when you use your Platinum Card® for eligible purchases on: Audible, Disney+, The Disney Bundle, ESPN+, Hulu, Peacock, SiriusXM, and The New York Times when you purchase directly from one or more of the providers. This can be an annual savings of up to $240.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Cacafuego posted:

The Amex platinum digital entertainment credit is actually useable for something good now:

This makes the math work out a lot easier to keep my Platinum.

I'm getting a banner on the Amex website that I'm pre-approved for a Business Gold Card with an 80,000 point SUB. I was planning on working through a few business cards soon anyway, so maybe I'll take them up on the offer if it's still there after I hit my personal Platinum SUB.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Has anyone ever actually had a credit card chargeback fail with an amex platinum? I had a $500 thing get rejected by papal and then escalated to amex, submitted my docs, typed up a summary and was going to submit that and by the time I saved the doc to pdf they had already approved and closed my chargeback. I'm sure if it's like, $10,000+ it gets more scrutiny but I was expecting at least a 24 hour turn around

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Hadlock posted:

Has anyone ever actually had a credit card chargeback fail with an amex platinum? I had a $500 thing get rejected by papal and then escalated to amex, submitted my docs, typed up a summary and was going to submit that and by the time I saved the doc to pdf they had already approved and closed my chargeback. I'm sure if it's like, $10,000+ it gets more scrutiny but I was expecting at least a 24 hour turn around

Nope. Same with return protection. It’s great.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Chase appears to have extended the 50% bonus on pay yourself back at restaurants until 6/30/2023.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Thoguh posted:

Chase appears to have extended the 50% bonus on pay yourself back at restaurants until 6/30/2023.

Note that this is only for the Chase Sapphire Reserve. For other cards, PYB is near useless now.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I think I remember someone in this thread sharing a site or system for figuring how best to use your different reward points for specific travel. Am I making that up or does anyone else remember / know what I'm talking about? For example, if you had points in Chase's ecosystem and Citi, you could put your destination and you could see which airlines you could transfer to / hotel partners / etc.

LazyDivey
Jun 18, 2004

Orange crush momma is a laugh laugh laugh.

I don't know if this is a good thread to ask but I suck at finances and I'm in credit card debt due to a long long span of anxiety and depression and I'm coming out of it slowly but still on disability. I was looking into refinancing my 3 lines of credit (Chase, Amazon and Paypal) into one and starting a plan to pay them off in a few years. I'm on a limited budget at the moment and right now I'm not making a dent in any of these bills as all the cards are pretty much maxed. My credit is "fair" and it is definitely all the debt that's dragging it down. Is there anything I can do or am I pretty much screwed? Are there any credit consolidation services any goons would recommend? My credit card debt is currently about 8200 which I'm sure is not a lot to some people but it is to me. If I'm ever going to have anything for myself I need to take steps to deal with these financial issues.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be eternally grateful.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

The newbie thread is probably more appropriate - this thread is mainly for credit card rewards, not personal finance in general. There are lots of tips and links in that thread, but the universal truth is that the first step to getting out of a hole is to stop digging. Make a budget and, just as importantly, stick to it. I sincerely wish you the best of luck.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Chaotic Flame posted:

I think I remember someone in this thread sharing a site or system for figuring how best to use your different reward points for specific travel. Am I making that up or does anyone else remember / know what I'm talking about? For example, if you had points in Chase's ecosystem and Citi, you could put your destination and you could see which airlines you could transfer to / hotel partners / etc.

You might want to ask in r/churning. Sounds like something they may be familiar with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

LazyDivey posted:

I don't know if this is a good thread to ask but I suck at finances and I'm in credit card debt due to a long long span of anxiety and depression and I'm coming out of it slowly but still on disability. I was looking into refinancing my 3 lines of credit (Chase, Amazon and Paypal) into one and starting a plan to pay them off in a few years. I'm on a limited budget at the moment and right now I'm not making a dent in any of these bills as all the cards are pretty much maxed. My credit is "fair" and it is definitely all the debt that's dragging it down. Is there anything I can do or am I pretty much screwed? Are there any credit consolidation services any goons would recommend? My credit card debt is currently about 8200 which I'm sure is not a lot to some people but it is to me. If I'm ever going to have anything for myself I need to take steps to deal with these financial issues.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be eternally grateful.

Def ask in the newbie thread like stated. Maybe try to get everything transferred to a new card with 0 percent balance transfers for 12-15 months to stop the bleeding?