Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Got down to PMT to try out some of those Gretschs I've been investigating. I really liked the sound of the G5220, although I've just found it doesn't come in a version with a Bigsby. May have to look into how the G5230T differs from it if at all, they could possibly have different model numbers over different fret inlays. Oh Gretsch you confounding bastards.

Also tried out the G5655T I had been eyeing up and simply didn't like the sound as much, could be its broadtron pickups but I'm still curious how filtertrons would sound on the semihollow body. Might not be out of the question to do that but it's kind of a gamble when I know I can get a good sound off the peg with the 5220 and probably the 55230

So with that in mind I tried the G2622T Streamliner Centerblock, which is filtertrons on a semihollow and also sounds great, and might be perfect if not for the body shape. I feel like the Gretsch double cut body shape won't let me reach high on the board there well, and I simply don't think it looks as good as their single cuts, plus it's not so much got junk in the trunk as all of Fresh Kills back there. It's annoying as I feel like the guitar I think I want, the filtertrons on the single cut semihollow body should already exist (at sub £4k prices)

So maybe I'll just get the solidbody, it looks like switching a semihollow's pickups might be tricky for a first attempt. Just have to do some research and see if I need to get a hands-on test with a G5230T before ordering. Surprised myself to see the difference in price between PMT's store and website, I think I can even order the same guitar in the store for pickup online and save a couple hundred pounds. Even if the website excludes VAT the 5655 comes in over £100 cheaper. Is that standard practice?

Edit: Aw gently caress that 5220 had broadtrons, so I need to check that against a 5230 now

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I've decided that the stock buckers (evidently some PAF style poo poo) in my Rogue VI are too much mud for me. Any thoughts for something brighter/less swampy? I'm thinking of trying the P90 singles in a humbucker housing that I put in the neck of my fat tele, which i love.

I have considered the nazgul/sentient meme setup but suspect i'd keep them on coil split most of the time, i dunno.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

I've decided that the stock buckers (evidently some PAF style poo poo) in my Rogue VI are too much mud for me. Any thoughts for something brighter/less swampy? I'm thinking of trying the P90 singles in a humbucker housing that I put in the neck of my fat tele, which i love.

I have considered the nazgul/sentient meme setup but suspect i'd keep them on coil split most of the time, i dunno.

I have an SD black winter set I put in a guitar with coil split and they sound drat good. If you want to drop that kinda cash they'd be my pick but if you want something cheaper and still bright I'd say look around reverb for some schecter pickups because those things are great and you can get'em for like $20

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Hm interesting option, nice. And yeah i'm not worried about monies so much as "ugh i'll try a different set, another week offline while i wait for shipping". I'll keep my eyes peeled thanks

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

Hm interesting option, nice. And yeah i'm not worried about monies so much as "ugh i'll try a different set, another week offline while i wait for shipping". I'll keep my eyes peeled thanks

Well, in fact I have a set of schecter diamond superrocks I took out of my PT because they were just too drat bright (and I wanted the crunchy PAF sound) and a Saturday Night Special bridge pickup I took out of another guitar

If you're interested I'd be happy to send'em your way if you just want to cover the shipping. I'd rather they be used for something rather than rotting in my workshop.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the PM hath been sent, bless

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

May try to learn the lead and rhythm parts to this by ear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dkGNplwBgY

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

So with that in mind I tried the G2622T Streamliner Centerblock, which is filtertrons
Unless Gretsch hasn't updated their website, none of the Streamliner series have filtertrons. They only come on Electromatics (and up), and even there only on right-handed guitars with Bigsbies, and left-handed guitars.

Edit: But not the centerblock models.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Apr 3, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I much prefer the colors (and price) on the Gretsch Streamliners

We’ve seemingly established that people don’t really like the Broad’trons they ship with

How are they as an upgrade platform for other pickups?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Playing guitar (and, I imagine, any instrument) hits the same feelings as stuff like running laps in Forza trying for better lap times, but instead of virtual cars on a TV, it's awesome music which I can share with people. I can't get enough. I'm nearly done memorizing two songs I'm working on (my first "full songs" instead of practice stuff), and I already have like 5 transcriptions of songs I really like queued up to learn, and a couple more on top of that which are well above my skill level, and I keep discovering new stuff to add to the queue and every part of this rules.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

me finding myself wanting a gibson: clown emoji

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Siivola posted:

Unless Gretsch hasn't updated their website, none of the Streamliner series have filtertrons. They only come on Electromatics (and up), and even there only on right-handed guitars with Bigsbies, and left-handed guitars.

Edit: But not the centerblock models.

Definitely seen a bunch of inconsistencies and possible mistakes pointed out over the course of my research.

Anyway, tried a couple of Jets at another branch of PMT today, decided G5230T has the sound I want, which is good as I also wanted the trem. Just need to find it in black now, or come around on the green or silver ones.

They actually have an ex-display model up on their website, but it's actually more expensive than a new one. I don't know if it's a consideration for that color otherwise being unavailable or just a mistake, going to call them tomorrow.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 3, 2022

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

BizarroAzrael posted:

Got down to PMT to try out some of those Gretschs I've been investigating.

Regardless of the guitar, filtertrons will have more range and clarity than most humbuckers, each note will seem to have more fidelity. If going back and forth, a humbucker will sound more compressed/muddy and overdrive way easier. That ultra bright FT sound (similar to a telecaster bridge, but more well rounded and less quacky) might not always be what you want, but it's easy to dial it back vs trying to create more clarity. The thing with gretsch, IIRC none of the streamliners (2xxx) guitars have filtertrons. Only some of the electromatics (usually the higher end models) have them. They changed to broadtrons a year or two ago. A few of the mid-upper level jets have them I think. Even then, gretsch filtertrons are pretty low output when compared to humbuckers. They have very good crunchy tones but some people just want them a bit hotter. I don't mind it, I think they sound fantastic, but others who want more output go with the tv Jones models (classic plus, super or magnetron etc) of varying degrees.

Honestly, rather than getting hung up on details, just play the guitars and buy the one you can't put down and like how it sounds.

Pickups can be replaced but in a hollow body isn't for a first timer. There are tips and tricks to do it but it's not as easy as a strat or telecaster.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing
the broadtron 2s i have in my streamliner are very solid, although i do remember disliking the first iteration of the broadtron. they got rid of a lot of the mud, and made them hotter.

they're not necessarily anything super special, but they do everything pretty well, and they dirty up nicely while preserving dynamics if you send them at like medium heat into some gain. ken/ryu-type pickup.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
My dad's friend is a shithot life long blues and jazz guitarist and we went out to see his room full of guitars today and I got to play a Flying V, a Les Paul, some fancy late 80s strats and vintage Teles while he clowned all over me trying to play Replacements riffs. I also got to play some fancy rear end Ibanez superstrat he has that is aesthetically the opposite of how I want a guitar to look, but gently caress me, did it rip and now I'm doubting everything I know about what I want from guitars.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I swore up and down that i was a shred machine man, then i bought a lovely rondo telecaster and it's my favorite thing now. Always give yourself room to change your mind

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Wiring q, if i have 2 single coils and wire them both pickup > volume pot > jack (No switch) will they sound like I have the neck or bridge pickups selected, just blended together, or will it sound like the 2nd or 4th position on a strat with the wierd quacky sound?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Depends on how they're wired and the polarity of the pickups. If you do a strat bridge and strat neck they won't quack. Depending on if they're parallel or in series they may sound like half of each or they may sound like the full bridge pup and the full neck pup added together. Which, I should add, is a very dope sound.

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 4, 2022

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Baron von Eevl posted:

Depends on how they're wired and the polarity of the pickups. If you do a strat bridge and strat neck they won't quack. Depending on if they're parallel or in series they may sound like half of each or they may sound like the full bridge pup and the full neck pup added together. Which, I should add, is a very dope sound.

It's a strat bridge pickup and a guitar fetish gold foil single coil thing. I'm hoping for the last option you've listed (full bridge pup and the full neck pup added together), would I want series or parallel for that? I think what I described in my post would be parallel, right? I've only ever followed existing diagrams before so this uncharted territory for me lol.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Parallel is standard on most guitars, including strats. If you want the middle to be the two added together, rather than the average of the two, you want series wiring.

Series wiring makes it a lot louder but also a lot boomier overall. The sound of two pickups in series tends to be very awesome but it can be a bit darker than what you'd expect from single coils, and the big disadvantage is you'll never want to use either pickup separately because the middle sounds too drat good.

Here's a page explaining it a bit in the beginning:
https://www.haloguitars.com/store/guitar-wiring-series-vs-parallel-explained

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Baron von Eevl posted:

Parallel is standard on most guitars, including strats. If you want the middle to be the two added together, rather than the average of the two, you want series wiring.

Series wiring makes it a lot louder but also a lot boomier overall. The sound of two pickups in series tends to be very awesome but it can be a bit darker than what you'd expect from single coils, and the big disadvantage is you'll never want to use either pickup separately because the middle sounds too drat good.

Here's a page explaining it a bit in the beginning:
https://www.haloguitars.com/store/guitar-wiring-series-vs-parallel-explained

Thanks for the link, I'm more confused than ever really. I think what I want to do is pretty much jazz bass wiring without the tone knob. I'll just wing it lol I'll put in a switch if it doesn't work the way I'm envisioning :shrug:

field balm fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 4, 2022

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Ok, so you're doing two volume knobs but no selector? I think that would work, I've never messed with jazz basses so I could be wrong.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Baron von Eevl posted:

Ok, so you're doing two volume knobs but no selector? I think that would work, I've never messed with jazz basses so I could be wrong.

That's the plan. I think its 2 pickups in parralel with individual volume, but I don't like the 2/4 position on strats so my worry is that it'll sound like that. My aim is to be able to use the pickups individualy but also be able to blend in a bit of the bridge with the neck and vice versa. I'm probably over complicating it and it won't be worth the effort, worst case scenario I gently caress with the phase of one or just add a switch.

plerocercoid
Feb 14, 2012

Verman posted:

Regardless of the guitar, filtertrons will have more range and clarity than most humbuckers, each note will seem to have more fidelity. If going back and forth, a humbucker will sound more compressed/muddy and overdrive way easier. That ultra bright FT sound (similar to a telecaster bridge, but more well rounded and less quacky) might not always be what you want, but it's easy to dial it back vs trying to create more clarity. The thing with gretsch, IIRC none of the streamliners (2xxx) guitars have filtertrons. Only some of the electromatics (usually the higher end models) have them. They changed to broadtrons a year or two ago. A few of the mid-upper level jets have them I think. Even then, gretsch filtertrons are pretty low output when compared to humbuckers. They have very good crunchy tones but some people just want them a bit hotter. I don't mind it, I think they sound fantastic, but others who want more output go with the tv Jones models (classic plus, super or magnetron etc) of varying degrees.

Honestly, rather than getting hung up on details, just play the guitars and buy the one you can't put down and like how it sounds.

Pickups can be replaced but in a hollow body isn't for a first timer. There are tips and tricks to do it but it's not as easy as a strat or telecaster.

Guess who has humbuckers, filtertrons, and broadtrons to compare and too much time on their hands? The contenders:

Gibson Les Paul Standard - I don't know exactly what pickups are in these, but they measure 68mm x 37mm. Solid mahogany body with maple cap, mahogany neck, tuneomatic bridge with stoptail
Gretsch G6228 Players Edition Jet - Broad'Tron BT-65 pickups measuring 68mm x 37mm (Streamliners have Broad'Tron BT-2S, not sure how they differ). Chambered mahogany body with maple cap, mahogany neck, Adjustomatic bridge with V-stoptail (basically a tuneomatic). Probably as similar to a Les Paul as you'll get from Gretsch.

Gretsch Electromatic G5232T Double Jet - Black Top Filtertrons measuring 70mm x 32mm. Chambered mahogany body with maple cap, mahogany neck, Adjustomatic bridge with Bigsby B50.
Gretsch Electromatic G5135-CVT - MegaTron pickups measuring 70mm x 32mm. Solid mahogany body that's thin, similar to an SG, and a mahogany neck. Graphtech Resomax NV bridge (not stock) with Bigsby B50.

Just physically, the Gibson humbuckers and Broadtrons are just a smidge shorter and a bit fatter, while the Black Tops and MegaTron pickups are slightly longer and thinner.

I did a quick sound comparison, just picking the open stings and harmonics and strumming some simple chords on the neck pickup, middle position, and bridge pickup. Order is Gibson, G6228, G5135-CVT, G5232T, all played on a Roland Jazz Chorus 22.
https://soundcloud.com/user-58306173/pickup-compare?utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

Sorry that the playing is a bit sloppy. I was concentrating on playing very consistently, which made me more stiff and sloppy of course. I was also distracted by my cats having a wrestling match by my feet. I'll have to listen again when I have fresher ears tomorrow, but my initial thought is the BroadTrons sound less muddy and are lower output than the humbuckers. Not sure if this would hold true with the Streamliner pickups.

Hopefully that was helpful for some of you. If not, enjoy this picture of my cats fighting.

Edit: Forgot the most obvious thing to check on pickups would be the resistance. I measured these from an output cable rather than directly from the pickups, because I wasn't going to open them up for this.
Gibson - Neck 7.48k, middle position 4.80k, bridge 13.41k
G6228 - Neck 5.60k, middle 2.82k, bridge 5.59k
G5135-CVT - Neck 7.46k, middle 3.73k, bridge 7.45k
G5237T - Neck 4.23k, middle 2.18k, bridge 4.35k. For some reason my multimeter wouldn't give a steady output for this guitar, so these might be off a bit.

So Gretsch seems to keep their bridge and neck pickups at the same resistance, while Gibson winds the bridge hotter. Also, the MegaTron pickups are closer to the Gibson humbuckers than the BroadTrons, despite the BroadTrons having a more similar physical size. I'll have to pay attention during my re-listen to see how close the CVT sounds to the Les Paul compared to the others.

plerocercoid fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 4, 2022

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

field balm posted:

That's the plan. I think its 2 pickups in parralel with individual volume, but I don't like the 2/4 position on strats so my worry is that it'll sound like that. My aim is to be able to use the pickups individualy but also be able to blend in a bit of the bridge with the neck and vice versa. I'm probably over complicating it and it won't be worth the effort, worst case scenario I gently caress with the phase of one or just add a switch.

You might just want to do a blend knob instead, that will let you go all-in with either or find a happy ground in between. Series probably wouldn't be great for what you're thinking off because it'll be getting louder instead of getting "neckier" when you blend the neck in. If I'm doing a guitar in series I'd probably do it with no pickup selection options at all, just both pickups all the time bay-bee.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

field balm posted:

2/4 position is to do with pickup spacing rather than wiring. As long as you wire them in phase it will most likely sound like the middle position on a telecaster - go with two volumes and no tone.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Anyone have experience with Marshall DSL heads? Kinda thinking it might be a good idea to buy something that can sound similar to both a Plexi and JCM800. A Plexi style OD pedal into the fat channel on a Mark V:35 sounds good but it still doesn't have the right bite, and it doesn't go into JCM territory.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Y'all I think I'm gonna buy the new HH Meteora, probably in silverburst. Please help me. The only thing I wish it had was the original 24" neck, or preferably a 24.75" neck. Besides that, well hot dog, we have a wiener. Definitely rewiring the tone pots to be a universal tone and bass cut pot. Because that poo poo rules.

This is the first guitar since the last Meteora HH I've wanted. It's the first guitar in years I've seen and gone "gently caress, I want THAT" so that's a pretty good hallmark for me.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Baron von Eevl posted:

You might just want to do a blend knob instead, that will let you go all-in with either or find a happy ground in between. Series probably wouldn't be great for what you're thinking off because it'll be getting louder instead of getting "neckier" when you blend the neck in. If I'm doing a guitar in series I'd probably do it with no pickup selection options at all, just both pickups all the time bay-bee.

darkwasthenight posted:

2/4 position is to do with pickup spacing rather than wiring. As long as you wire them in phase it will most likely sound like the middle position on a telecaster - go with two volumes and no tone.

Thanks for the input guys I'll let the thread know how it goes!

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

Anyone have experience with Marshall DSL heads? Kinda thinking it might be a good idea to buy something that can sound similar to both a Plexi and JCM800. A Plexi style OD pedal into the fat channel on a Mark V:35 sounds good but it still doesn't have the right bite, and it doesn't go into JCM territory.

I like the 50 watters a whole lot. Never liked the red channel on any of em, but crank that green channel and hit it with a boost and oooh mama

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I do not love the DSL line to me the just sound like mushier versions of the Marshalls that came before.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Hey, a new thing just got here:

Strandberg Plini NX

The wood is gorgeous in person, and I like the richlite fretboard. Getting the action dialed in was a bit of a pain (got to move the strings off their little posts, adjust the post height, and then check, and repeat, but otherwise it's been nice. The pickups are really hot with the volume knob cranked, and they seem really versatile, with different sounds at different volumes.

I've spent about 3/4 of my time with it so far just playing Aphex Twin's rhubarb over and over and making small tweaks to settings.

p.s. I don’t actually like Plini very much, but his guitar seems nice and doesn’t scream Artist Model

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 4, 2022

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i want a marshall actually but it’s a huge pain in the rear end because i don’t have a cabinet right now, just a combo, and it’d probably entail switching to a head + combo setup

and also there’s the fact that marshalls are so loving expensive.

but no doubt it’d sound sick as hell on the JB… i want a JMP.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
you know what I'm gonna suggest, and you're gonna hate it, and I'm going to "I told you so" in a few weeks when you don't listen

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Every time I think a guitar doesn't sound cool enough, I either raise or lower the pickups about a 32nd and tell myself that did it.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Ask your tech to replace the hardwired speaker lead with a plug and a socket so you can use your combo as a cab. :mrgw:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

you know what I'm gonna suggest, and you're gonna hate it, and I'm going to "I told you so" in a few weeks when you don't listen

a helix and some FRFRs?
Why have one amp when you can have them all

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

a helix and some FRFRs?
Why have one amp when you can have them all

exactly

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Siivola posted:

Ask your tech to replace the hardwired speaker lead with a plug and a socket so you can use your combo as a cab. :mrgw:

Very few amps come hardwired these days - in fact I'm not sure I can think of one right now. From a design perspective you would have to make two layouts for head and combo so most designs will just flip the chassis and faceplate for head versions and then use a speaker cable inside the cabinet for combos. Saves two more solder connections you don't have to make onto PCB when you can just run a bunch of short speaker cables off on another production line instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

That's true, I just googled a pic of a Deville's rear panel and didn't see anything.