Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kaddish posted:

At my Publix it was close to $60 just for the flat. My understanding is that beef is up pretty much everywhere in the US.

Got mine at Costco. As little as two weeks ago flats were $60 there. There has been a steep decrease in beef pricing lately, don't know the source or reason, I'm just thankful I can afford to start smoking again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Kaddish posted:

At my Publix it was close to $60 just for the flat. My understanding is that beef is up pretty much everywhere in the US.

You pay way more for just the flat. It's almost the same price even at costco for a 6 pound flat vs a 15 pound whole brisket. It's just down to whether or not you have the space to trim and store or cook it all at once or w/e.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Yeah, the 5lb of fat you trim off a full packer is why the price per lb is way lower than a flat that's already been trimmed.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yeah, I got a 17 pound packer a couple weeks ago for 3.99$/pound, and weighed the fat after trimming and separating the point and flat. It was almost 5 full pounds.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Makes for some real tasty tallow once you render it all down though!

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Gwaihir posted:

You pay way more for just the flat. It's almost the same price even at costco for a 6 pound flat vs a 15 pound whole brisket. It's just down to whether or not you have the space to trim and store or cook it all at once or w/e.

Yeah, I was looking up prices earlier and realized that. Unfortunately, I just went to Publix to check current prices and they had no brisket at all up front and was too lazy to ask.

I'd rather just do a chuck roast than the flat only. The point is where it's at and Publix also sometimes has those separated out.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
Costco in Seattle had full packers for $3.99/lb. Should he $2.99 but doubt that happens again ever

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
My Publix did have a whole tenderloin for 18.99/lb. I would try it but wife would kill me.

Also, if you guys haven't tried prime rib on a smoker, it's excellent.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Brisket brisket brisket brisket brisket

Looks like the secret to stalls is to simply stoke it into submission.

The meteor is resting now. Next up is cubing it, rerubbing it, caramelizing it, then frying it up. I might skip the last step for vacuum packing and then just including instructions for reheat to fry after sous viding it.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Kaddish posted:

Also, if you guys haven't tried prime rib on a smoker, it's excellent.

Time/temp, or recipe?

I figure I just need to know what the pit temp should be, what internal temp I'm aiming for, and then I guess the final hurdle is just figuring out how to get a good crust at the end (probably a few minutes on the grill preheated to "cleaning" temps)

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
More hot brisket action:

I almost hosed up the caramelization by putting that raw brown sugar on top, not realizing that it takes an hour for that to melt in an oven. Spritzed them all with water to melt them down, then they glazed instead of caramelized which is a good runner up result. No gritty texture and a good hard shell.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Zarin posted:

Time/temp, or recipe?

I figure I just need to know what the pit temp should be, what internal temp I'm aiming for, and then I guess the final hurdle is just figuring out how to get a good crust at the end (probably a few minutes on the grill preheated to "cleaning" temps)

Reverse sear, but use your smoker instead of the oven for the low and slow part.

https://www.seriouseats.com/perfect-prime-rib-beef-recipe

I also do this with thiccc steaks such as ny strip or tbone/porterhouses.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Warbird posted:

Are you using any of those large unburned chunks of wood for flavoring? I’ve never had much in the way of luck with good results from those.

Also what’s the general stance on injecting your meat? I’ve been thinking about messing with that a bit.

It can definitely work, but you really have to mind your temperatures. You're essentially opening up the inside of the meat to pathogens, so you have to make sure you get out of the danger zone (< 140 F) relatively quickly.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Zarin posted:

Time/temp, or recipe?

https://www.jerkyholic.com/perfectly-smoked-prime-rib/#recipe

I basically used that as a guide but instead of using the pellet grill for the reverse sear I used a pre-heated gas grill. I didn't care about drippings but when I do another one I'm going to figure something out so I can make au jus as I do in the oven. That recipe has you using a packet, which is meat blasphemy.

For oven prime rib, I use Chef John's method:

https://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2010/11/prime-time-for-revisiting-prime-rib-of.html

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Apr 4, 2022

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Bought the Meathead book and the opening section comparing methods of energy transfer to bonin’ sure is a choice.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Warbird posted:

Bought the Meathead book and the opening section comparing methods of energy transfer to bonin’ sure is a choice.

It said what now

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
With Easter coming up I've been thinking about smoking some lamb, either a leg or rack. Anyone here tried it?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Warbird posted:

Pretty sure the "About" section on his website lists him as the "Resident Hedonist" or something like that, so checks out.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Kaddish posted:

With Easter coming up I've been thinking about smoking some lamb, either a leg or rack. Anyone here tried it?

Do you want easter tacos?
This is how you get easter tacos.
https://www.seriouseats.com/smoked-lamb-barbacoa-recipe

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

toplitzin posted:

Do you want easter tacos?
This is how you get easter tacos.
https://www.seriouseats.com/smoked-lamb-barbacoa-recipe

Ha, I saw that one too in my research. It's tempting.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Is anyone aware of a way to retrofit a WiFi-enabled control board into a Pit Boss Lexington-model grill?

Also, it seems there are no side shelves available for a Lexington but...Pit Boss's side-shelf screw arrangement looked fairly standard between the ones we looked at at Walmart. Am I crazy or should any of them fit? I'm tired of using the hopper lid and a small folding table for my stuff.

EDIT: On another note, I've been given carte blanche from my wife to start eating the chicken in our freezer. Just put the tenderloins on the smoker with some 21 Seasoning Salute, cube that poo poo into a salad in a bit. Then I have two more packs of breasts to eat :getin:

D34THROW fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 5, 2022

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Just had wagyu brisket from a hyped Texas BBQ place near me and it's literally so good it's discouraged me from smoking more briskets because my poo poo is not in the same stratosphere.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Chad Sexington posted:

Just had wagyu brisket from a hyped Texas BBQ place near me and it's literally so good it's discouraged me from smoking more briskets because my poo poo is not in the same stratosphere.

You can buy wagyu (American or otherwise) brisket yourself....it will not be cheap

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Just looked up wagyu smoked Brisket and one place has it for $15 for a half pound.

Now to find it someplace closer than Illinois.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

gwrtheyrn posted:

You can buy wagyu (American or otherwise) brisket yourself....it will not be cheap

To be clear, I don't think it's (just) that it was wagyu. It was wonderfully, masterfully cooked. Fork tender, great bark and super concentrated flavor.

I do think if I cooked with wagyu instead of prime it would improve my end product, but no way in hell I'd shell out ~$200 and still have the risk that I would gently caress it up.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe I'm a dumb idiot baby with bad taste buds and a huge ego, but mine come out as good as any restaurant I've had. And yes I have had Franklin and Stubbs.

I just dry brine for 24 hours, rinse off the salt, inject with beef broth, rub with Big Bad Beef Rub from Amazing Ribs, and toss it on the smoker between 225 and 275, no texas crutch, wait for 203 (I actually feel it out starting at 195), pull it, and let it rest in foil for an hour. I think the important steps are the salt, rest, and no crutch. I also rub in the rub until the surface is grainy and not smooth at all. I get monster bark this way without it being dry at all.

Edit: my brisket is USDA prime from Costco every time I've done it.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 10, 2022

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I like Wagyu, and I've never smoked it, but for me, smoking is at least partly about turning 'lesser' cuts of meat into something better. I couldn't imagine smoking something actually A5 Wagyu or whatever. Maybe if I was fabulously wealthy.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve never had an American wagyu anything that was any better than a usda prime cut. Now if you’re getting A5 Japanese wagyu or something that’s a different beast, but American wagyu is sort of disappointing in my experience.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I’ve never had an American wagyu anything that was any better than a usda prime cut. Now if you’re getting A5 Japanese wagyu or something that’s a different beast, but American wagyu is sort of disappointing in my experience.

I've had actual Japanese A5 Wagyu flown in from Japan. It was good, but not worth the expense, and to me almost a different experience altogether. Honestly, I would prefer a regular USDA prime or even choice steak. Like, if all we got was A5 Wagyu that would suck.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

gwrtheyrn posted:

HEB screwed up once when they marked down brisket and priced waygu at the regular markdown price. My friend bought 10 of them and I've never been so jealous before. But they were absolutely delicious.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

This was my experience with an American wagyu chuck roast I found at Costco.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I can get snake river farms American wagyu strips locally for like $8/lb more than prime.

They’re like Super Prime. Not A5 or close, but much better marbled than the usual prime I can get.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
poo poo, for some reason Publix has turkeys on sale right now. 99c/lb isn't exactly Thanksgiving prices, but that's a lot better than it normally is. I'll pick up a couple to stuff in my freezer and eventually smoke at $20/bird.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

BaronVonVaderham posted:

poo poo, for some reason Publix has turkeys on sale right now. 99c/lb isn't exactly Thanksgiving prices, but that's a lot better than it normally is. I'll pick up a couple to stuff in my freezer and eventually smoke at $20/bird.

Likely on sale for Easter.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Dango Bango posted:

Likely on sale for Easter.

I forgot that was happening, but is that really a turkey holiday? I never really associated those two things together.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I forgot that was happening, but is that really a turkey holiday? I never really associated those two things together.

No its a ham holiday. Its actually not a food holiday at all, but if the food industry can make it one they will. I'm sure the poultry market would love another holiday where serving a bird became a societal norm.

I have two turkeys frozen from post Thanksgiving clearance. 10 pound organic ones, not salted, absolutely perfect for smoking and was like $0.50/lb. I was thinking about doing a thanksgiving in summer party with them and do them roughly 6 months from Thanksgiving.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
Thoughts/experiences on smoking vegetables?

I've been asked to provide a "vegetable plate" for Easter this coming weekend and I'll be damned if I'm just going to slop some crudite on a platter and call it a day.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

um excuse me posted:

No its a ham holiday. Its actually not a food holiday at all, but if the food industry can make it one they will. I'm sure the poultry market would love another holiday where serving a bird became a societal norm.

I have two turkeys frozen from post Thanksgiving clearance. 10 pound organic ones, not salted, absolutely perfect for smoking and was like $0.50/lb. I was thinking about doing a thanksgiving in summer party with them and do them roughly 6 months from Thanksgiving.

I just used my last turkey recently, so that's why the sale got me excited: time to stuff the freezer with cheap turkeys again :getin:

Bo-Pepper posted:

I've been asked to provide a "vegetable plate" for Easter this coming weekend and I'll be damned if I'm just going to slop some crudite on a platter and call it a day.

I haven't done many veggies, mostly adding potatoes and stuff on the side of whatever meat I'm doing and they come out great. I did a pineapple once, as well.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bo-Pepper posted:

I wouldn’t. If someone asked for a veggie plate I doubt they expect or want that.

Remember, friends, not everything has to be smoked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Bo-Pepper posted:

Veggies don't take well to a ton of smoke or low heat which is why they're most commonly seared on a grill instead. I'd personally make a succotash. I love this recipe, just adapt it for grill use:

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/237476/chef-johns-succotash/

Alternatively you could do some Boston baked beans, but that probably not what the host meant by vegetable. This recipe does take smoke well:

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes-beans-recipes-simple-boston-baked-beans-recipe/