Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
You're not allowed to live in the midwest if you have dreams. The huge, empty sky stares down at you and your little aspirations until you either get the gently caress out or let them go like an adult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

PizzaProwler posted:

in case anyone would like to join us

this fills me with a powerful dismay

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

its geoblocked lmao

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

SNL: our comedy is the envy of the world, keep it under lock and key

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Was SNL always bad? All I know about it is that it's been painfully unfunny and that the muppets used to work on it for a little while.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It's all been downhill since the happy fun ball

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Azhais posted:

It's all been downhill since the happy fun ball

do not taunt Happy Fun Ball

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

Was SNL always bad? All I know about it is that it's been painfully unfunny and that the muppets used to work on it for a little while.

I think peak SNL is whatever was on when you were like 10-15

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
SNL is pretty funny. The trick is to avoid any political or topical sketches.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Empty Sandwich posted:

do not taunt Happy Fun Ball

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Josef bugman posted:

:goonsay:

The joke that SNL was best when you first discovered it at age 8-15 is accurate. It's also just lensing from how sketch comedy is.

Every single sketch comedy show that ever existed, including yes the one you personallyfeel is unassailable, was always far more garbage than gold. Yes even that one which was so important and formative to the art form or whatever-- Monty Python, Kids in the Hall, Fry and Laurie, UCB, WKUK, SNL, In Living Color, Mr. Show, Portlandia, Little Britain, Key and Peele, SCTV, Chapelle's Show, MadTV, Carol Burnett, Mitchell and Webb, etc. Every single one has a huge hit : miss ratio. It's endemic to the form-- having to produce anywhere from 4 to 20 sketches per episode with the same team on a massive, usually coke-fueled turnaround inevitably produces loads and loads of duds, misfires, or just plain dull sketches that don't really do anything wrong but fail to impress on the memory.

And whether you discovered a show at 12, 22, 32, or just watched a highlight reel, there's some weird inverse negativity bias that happens with sketch comedy where you only remember the best bits-- the moments of true chemistry, of kismet, of whichever performers where charismatic and having a good time and when everything came together and "clicked." Because the rest of it just isn't worth committing to memory and you'd have to actively try.

SNL is also in a weird place, because of the streaming era, and still doesn't really know wtf to do with itself.

See, for the better part of half a century, SNL is known to the wider North American public as the launching ground for Comedy TV/Movie stars and has a genuinely impressive deep bench of talent who went onto make dozens of projects that are considered US cultural staples both with and without SNL involvement. That's.... not really how the media industry works anymore though.

So what's happened is you have one of the largest casts SNL has ever seen-- seriously they've got like 30 people on the cast list or something it's loving nuts-- all fighting for very limited screen time while the owners desperately try to figure out how to have the same footprint when media consumption is insanely diversified. There's no longer a main media aqueduct in most people's homes, and just trying to astroturf the gently caress out of YouTube and Streaming Sites kind-of works but struggles to compete with no-name nobodies making 15 second TikTok shorts in their weirdly featureless apartments.

The stars know this too. There's no launch vehicle coming anymore. Ain't no "Deuce Bigalo" chances being given out anymore. Pete Davidson is the only one who has managed to really do anything major outside of SNL in the last decade because he's weirdly affable to celebrities who come on the show on top of being a solid comedian. Kate McKinnon was the last time they really tried to launch a homegrown star and whether it's her, the projects available, or both, it's just not happening for any of them. So many of their top players have literally been there a full decade or very close to it-- Aidy Bryant, Cecily Strong, McKinnon, Chris Redd, Kyle Mooney, etc.

And that bleeds into the quality of the show. It's a whole lot of very talented people with nothing to do, nowhere to go, a tiny sliver of time to show their stuff, and pretty much no path to follow even if they do manage to land big hits. So there's not much room nor incentive to do anything more than shuffle the chairs, do the riffs, collect the paycheck, and hope something magically opens up.

-----------------------------------------------

Tax because gently caress you, I don't regret a word:

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Nah, KITH missed very, very rarely.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

SNL is always incredible in retrospect, but dire and disappointing whenever you actually see it live.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

I see you didn't mention I Think You Should Leave in your list of flawed sketch comedies. Good.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I take exception to the idea that Little Britain had any sketches that hit

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

SNL stands for Some Nice Laughs

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I see you didn't mention I Think You Should Leave in your list of flawed sketch comedies. Good.

But it should, because the only memorable scenes of a season could fit an half hour episode and nothing of value would be lost.

oh, baby, baby, bay-bay-bay

Tenebrais posted:

I take exception to the idea that Little Britain had any sketches that hit

It's like The Fast Show where they're really just repeating the same sketches over and over again with minor changes.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
There's 30 people in the SNL cast now? Did they just stop leaving or what?

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

This is still the funniest goddamned thing to me, even having seen it at its debut all those years ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmqeZl8OI2M

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

The weekend update guys are consistently good, other than that you can still find a few good clips on YouTube of actual sketches.

I can't imagine how terrible an actual full episode is nowadays though.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

kdrudy posted:

Nah, KITH missed very, very rarely.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

gleebster posted:

Basically, yeah.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

gleebster posted:

They don't have to anymore. Lorne used to have a fairly strict 'this is your job and you show up to work every day, if you want to make a movie do it in the summer' policy.

Because Lorne still blames himself for Farley's death, his addiction spiraled after getting fired from SNL, he wanted to keep Pete Davidson close to prevent him doing the same so he started cutting him slack to dissappear for months for rehab/movies. Then Lorne had to extend the same to everyone, so now cast members keep a steady paycheck and still get to leave for a month here and there to film whatever failure they're working on.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I can't believe I'm saying this but that makes Lorne better than pretty much any boss I've ever had lmao

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah I wasn’t ready for that story to take a “the rear end in a top hat exec had a conscience” turn

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

I can't believe I'm saying this but that makes Lorne better than pretty much any boss I've ever had lmao

If it makes you feel any worse, he's probably a monster to the writers and production staff.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
SNL’s production schedule used to be propped up by literally everyone openly doing cocaine all of the time.

That's not so much a thing anymore, but they're still on the same schedule. Something had to give.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't think Key & Peele has ever had a single miss. They also weren't live sketch comedy like SNL, though. It's very different when your sketches are single camera 10 minute short films with the flexibility of multiple takes and editing.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Plenty of the recent SNL staff have had successful departures to other TV shows or movies, or done successful individual stand-up shows. I don't think it's SNL specifically is struggling to create comedy stars to the magnitude of like Eddie Murphy or Julia Louis-Dreyfus, it's more that the entire industry is more diversified so that whole era of having a small number of big stars is kind of gone.

Sagebrush posted:

I don't think Key & Peele has ever had a single miss.

yeah Key and Peele were pretty drat consistent. Their skits that make fun of black names in football are about the only ones that whiff imo.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Little Britain had an occasional sketch that wasn't based on unutterable cruelty, but I can't say even those ones were particularly funny.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Lorne has kept everyone on the cast during the COVID years except for those who have left by choice, which has led to the largest cast they’ve had (22 people all trying to get screen time) but has also let a bunch of people continue to draw a paycheck during a very uncertain time. I would expect that a decent portion of the cast will leave after the conclusion of this season.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Josef bugman posted:

You sound an awful lot like someone who wants less cowbell.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

This. This is the loving worst. Why won't these little meth goblins leave me alone and take their idolatery elsewhere.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

This skit was funny, and it was not made during my formative years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rImxuuD_kwM

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Karate Bastard posted:

You sound an awful lot like someone who wants less cowbell.

And doesn't want to wear little items to show patriotism

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I don't understand this political compass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Mr. Lobe posted:

I don't understand this political compass