Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Asgerd posted:

Mofference

This is an absolutely withering counter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Yo momma is fat. Moffat.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Mooff diiving

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Rise of Skywalker would have been a significantly better movie if one of the Moffs at the Mofference called it a Mofference.

Zoran fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 28, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And bid them dark greetings.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Zoran posted:

Rise of Skywalker would have been a significantly better movie if one of the Moffs at the Mofference called it a Mofference.

Or referred to themselves as Moffs in any way. Like, have Kyle arrest one of them and as he is dragged away he yells "You can't do this to me, I'm a Moff! You hear me? A Moooooooooff!"

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Grendels Dad posted:

Or referred to themselves as Moffs in any way. Like, have Kyle arrest one of them and as he is dragged away he yells "You can't do this to me, I'm a Moff! You hear me? A Moooooooooff!"

‘Moffs! You can’t fight in here, this is a Star War Room!’

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Jerky Moff

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
Oi go moff yourself

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

They should just rerelease ROS every few years with my callbacks to subsequent Content and some new scenes based on fan feedback

For example you could add a digital Rose to the fetch quest, or the ship that the hotel takes place on to the space battle

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Ingmar terdman posted:

For example you could add a digital Rose to the fetch quest, or the ship that the hotel takes place on to the space battle

Its already there :ninja:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They should put general Grevious on the Star Wars hotel

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Ingmar terdman posted:

They should just rerelease ROS every few years with my callbacks to subsequent Content and some new scenes based on fan feedback

I truly believe that personalized movies are the future of the industry. It's going to be an absolute nightmare and a complete destruction of the greatest art form known to man.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

feedmyleg posted:

I truly believe that personalized movies are the future of the industry. It's going to be an absolute nightmare and a complete destruction of the greatest art form known to man.

We already have these to a degree and I'm quite sure it's gonna be a fad that Hollywood briefly goes disastrously all-in on that everyone gets bored of quickly.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Lawrence of Arabia inspired a whole lotta stars wars. They visit most Eisley AND naboo. Alec guineas does the hand thing

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/pabl0hidalgo/status/1510040294426759170

quote:

In 2003 there was a paid-access section of StarWars called "Hyperspace".
If you were a "Hyperspace" member you'd be able to access a live webcam from the set of Star Wars: Episode 3 - Revenge of the Sith. You could watch a live stream of the film's production.

Pablo Hidalgo posted:

It was post dot-com bubble and no one knew how to make money online. A lot of sites experimented with subscription models. It was decided way above me, but I think the only thing we were really on the hook for was "cover your expenses". We did and then some.

Fan sites tried to frame it as "pay for spoilers" but that missed the point; it was extremely production focused and allowed for, at the time, contact between audience and crew in a new way.

The two most memorable things were letting the fans choose what Obi-Wan's droid would look like (George was cool that way) and Rick McCallum just randomly inviting a fan in a chat to the scoring session because he asked (classic Rick move).

The crew absolutely loved it. The biggest secret of film production is how dull it can be while waiting for action to happen, and it gave people a welcome and amusing distraction and outlet to play to a live audience.
I wonder if the Star Wars Celebration livestreams remind anyone that did that of those times. Minus the interaction part, but you still get to see a lot of cool different things you wouldn't see otherwise, whether or not you were physically there

Although the livestreams never show off the lightsaber duels the fans engage in, which is a bit of a shame

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Watching A New Hope, and when did the "spice=drugs" thing become canon in Star Wars? Because Luke tells Obi-Wan, "My father didn't fight in the wars, he was a navigator on a spice freighter."

Jeez, Uncle Owen, that's hosed up, telling your nephew that his dad was a drug dealer. :v:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Davros1 posted:

Watching A New Hope, and when did the "spice=drugs" thing become canon in Star Wars? Because Luke tells Obi-Wan, "My father didn't fight in the wars, he was a navigator on a spice freighter."

Jeez, Uncle Owen, that's hosed up, telling your nephew that his dad was a drug dealer. :v:

Pretty much immediately I'm pretty sure, especially since that whole bit was ripped straight from Dune. And that also means Han Solo is a drug smuggler.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If you wanted, it could easily be interpreted as more akin to prohibition era rum-running, with spice is the equivalent of a beer. Which would just mean that Boba Fett is a teetotaler, which totally fits with his super square persona as presented in BOBF.

But the better explanation is that, just like in Dune, while spice can be used as a drug it also has more legitimate uses. It's the equivalent of transporting poppies, not heroin.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The Empire is also a totalitarian state that probably has onerous tariffs, prohibitions and requisitions meant to strangle the population, so smuggling in this context might not be morally wrong.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Dealing spice was considered morally repugnant when poe admitted he did it in star wars 9. But to be fair I think the movie itself, much less the audience, may have immediately forgotten that right after it was said

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

No Mods No Masters posted:

Dealing spice was considered morally repugnant when poe admitted he did it in star wars 9. But to be fair I think the movie itself, much less the audience, may have immediately forgotten that right after it was said

They made a ninth Star Wars?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

How can fandom be toxic!?? It’s about love!???

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

feedmyleg posted:

If you wanted, it could easily be interpreted as more akin to prohibition era rum-running, with spice is the equivalent of a beer. Which would just mean that Boba Fett is a teetotaler, which totally fits with his super square persona as presented in BOBF.

But the better explanation is that, just like in Dune, while spice can be used as a drug it also has more legitimate uses. It's the equivalent of transporting poppies, not heroin.

Could also be like, Cuban cigars. Or hell, weed.

The EU supposedly has a Sith practice of using spice to augment their powers, which is probably saying something given most Sith already act like they've done a mountain of cocaine when they get worked up.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

galagazombie posted:

The Empire is also a totalitarian state that probably has onerous tariffs, prohibitions and requisitions meant to strangle the population, so smuggling in this context might not be morally wrong.

Pretty much - at least according to the notes Lucas provided in the 70's to various licensees who were working on other stories like tie-in novels and comics.

George Lucas posted:

Smuggling was really the result of the Empire, which has such stringent rules about tariffs, and the trade companies, which are so strong, so monopolistic. Most legitimate operators were squeezed out of the business. So Han could be described as a smuggler, but in reality he’s a free-enterprise small businessman who is trading between systems without benefit of a proper license from the trade unions.

He smuggled everything under the sun. He smuggled spice along with everything else: various foodstuffs and precious gems and mechanical parts—whatever happened to be available. He would take material from one planet to another planet, and so on, taking his profit out along the way.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

How can fandom be toxic!?? It’s about love!???

It's all about the dying to protect the things we love.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
gently caress that i wanna fight some stuff i hate

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

galagazombie posted:

During the Old Republic, dudes could go around Coruscant night clubs selling death sticks and the cops would just tell them to go home and rethink their lives.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

PeterWeller posted:

During the Old Republic, dudes could go around Coruscant night clubs selling death sticks and the cops would just tell themforce them through invasive brainwashing to go home and rethink their lives.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Davros1 posted:

I mean, obviously it wasn't intended that way, but retroactively it works pretty well that when Luke started asking about his father, Owen told him he was a petty criminal - it's a good excuse for not wanting to talk about him, and it gets across that he's a bad guy he shouldn't be trying to emulate without making him sound too cool or glamorous.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

A good correction.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

PeterWeller posted:

During the Old Republic, dudes could go around Coruscant night clubs selling death sticks and the cops would just tell them to go home and rethink their lives.

Yeah apparently he went home, rethought his life, and decided he really liked selling drugs, and also started selling illegal weapons to kids - including selling some poison darts to Boba Fett during one of his assassination attempts against Mace Windu.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's like a djini's wish, you've gotta be really specific

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

sorry yall it was me, I'm the one who wished for More Star Wars Forever

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

Qui-Gon Djinn granted Anakin's wish to be freed from slavery. Whoops!

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
every time someone mentions "death sticks" I just remember that the character credited with that line is named Elan Sleazebaggano

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

If harmful substances were all branded that way we'd see far fewer drug and alcohol related problems. Ain't no one buying death liquid.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

stev posted:

If harmful substances were all branded that way we'd see far fewer drug and alcohol related problems. Ain't no one buying death liquid.

Speak for yourself

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

stev posted:

It's pretty popular actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
death sticks and lightsabers should swap names