Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Your Outtie puts ketchup on eggs.

Your Outtie pees sitting down.

Your Outtie prefers steak well-done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There's nothing wrong with ketchup on eggs.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Cojawfee posted:

Mods, send this poster to the breakroom.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

The cast is so perfect. I think it's easy to say that when you like a show but man is everyone great. Especially Tramell Tillman and Zach Cherry.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

AndrewP posted:

The cast is so perfect. I think it's easy to say that when you like a show but man is everyone great. Especially Tramell Tillman and Zach Cherry.
I love Milchick's smiling menace but Tillman's performance makes me want to see him play a guy who's just genuinely really warm and supportive. :3:

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Loving this show, binged it all in a few days and now eagerly awaiting the last episode and next season.

A few thoughts and theories I've had:

First the imagery with the four humours painting/masks in the waffle party scene, I think they clearly represent the four workers in the MDR department somehow.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_temperaments

wikipedia posted:

The four humors refers to an old medical concept (Hippocrates amongst others wrote about it) that used categories based on excess bodily fluids to assess and explain everything from health and disease to personality, behavior, emotions, moods and psychological disposition. The four humors are sanguine/blood, choleric/yellow bile, melancholic/black bile, and phlegmatic/phlegm.

Relation of the Four Humors or Temperaments based on various texts:

SANGUINE: Air, Socially Useful, Hysterical, Influence/Inspiring.

CHOLERIC: Fire, Ruling, Obsessive, Dominance.

MELANCHOLIC: Earth, Avoiding, Depressed, Conscientiousness/Cautious.

PHLEGMATIC: Water, Leaning, Schizoid, Steadiness/Supportive.

Irv almost falling asleep at work and the link between the black goo his innie sees and the fact that his outie is pulling all nighters painting that hallway ..

In my opinon:

SANGUINE/Helly - her being introduced socially influences how they're eventually inspired to try and figure out what's going on. It seemed like they'd been working well for quite a while before Petey "left". She initially has quite a hysterical reaction to first becoming an inniue with the suicide attempt etc.

CHOLERIC/Dylan - don't know if this one fits as well, but does like to dominate the others in that he brags about having more finger traps, winning more perks etc.

MELANCHOLIC/Mark - outie mark obviously depressed about his loss, which still shows on his innie (as petey mentioned). I think his innie also fits the other descriptors (/Avoiding/Conscientiousness/Cautious)

PHLEGMATIC/Irving - Schizoid, like when he almost falls asleep and his outies consciousness seeps in with those schizophrenic type hallucinations. Seems very supportive to the rest of them and like the steady one of the group, when it comes to doing the work.

They work together in some way (petey "retires" and Helly is indroduced to make them a group of four again quite quickly, doing something with sorting those numbers into bins that's related to programming memories or consciousness in some way I think.

Which I think relates to Irving falling asleep messing with the boundries of his innie and outie memories; in that a popular theory about dreams is that the reason we need to sleep/dream is to do with consolidating memories.

If you do a quick google about why we dream you get all sorts of things like this:

Relationship between Dreaming and Memory Reconsolidation
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.26599/BSA.2018.9050005

Still no idea how any of it could really relate to what they're doing at Lumen but I do think it has something to do with comas. With the GLASGOW bit on that machine relating to the Glasgow Coma Scale. It all has something to do with Marks wifes "death" (I think she's in a coma)

gently caress knows, great show though. Hope they can stick the landing of this season with the next ep.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Cojawfee posted:

You are the reason they don't have more egg pre-parties

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

A few thoughts and theories I've had:

First the imagery with the four humours painting/masks in the waffle party scene, I think they clearly represent the four workers in the MDR department somehow.

I had the same thought when they teased the waffle party scene with the painting of kier taming/whipping their icons for the kier temperaments or whatever, but I was linking them to kiers specific ones rather than the ones they're based on, hadn't thought of looking those up.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Yeah, they realized I had superior opinions and now I get private egg parties just for me.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dylan has had a waffle party before right? If it’s meant to turn into a proper orgy, I can see why he was so enthusiastic about getting another one in the early episodes.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i always figured waffle parties had more to em, otherwise they'd be a pancake party. if youre settling for waffles its because theres some bonus in store

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

I also think Marks wife being in a coma somehow relates to Lumens main purpose. I think the "innie" version of her that's only alive for 70 odd hours or whatever is part of them attempting to solve "consciousness" somehow as a means to immortality.

It's all very culty there, and I think the main Lumen guys consciousness is stored somewhere and it's all about bringing him back.

There was a quote somewhere in an episode, from Rickens book:

"What separates man from machine is that machines cannot think for themselves. Also, they are made of metal, whereas man is made of skin."

Seemed kind of out of place at the time but the more I think about her actually being in a coma but her body not being real (a robot or clone body or w/e) the more it makes sense to me. Ready to be incredibly wrong, but enjoying think about this show.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Josh Lyman posted:

Dylan has had a waffle party before right? If it’s meant to turn into a proper orgy, I can see why he was so enthusiastic about getting another one in the early episodes.

Employee of the quarter for 8 years running.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I get Control boardroom vibes with Lumon boardroom and im loving it

Yup, I swear i even heard the mumbling when the secretary was on the phone with the board. drat, I want more control. Also this show got us to get apple tv + and scratching my head if this was commissioned by Apple or was floating around a bit?

RE watching: Our watch style was binge for the first few to get the vibes down, then slow to a weekly view.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

incoherent posted:

Yup, I swear i even heard the mumbling when the secretary was on the phone with the board.
That was actually in the show, not just your head.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

incoherent posted:

Yup, I swear i even heard the mumbling when the secretary was on the phone with the board. drat, I want more control. Also this show got us to get apple tv + and scratching my head if this was commissioned by Apple or was floating around a bit?

I think it was a commission, most of the stuff they buy up is foreign productions and movies.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Nuts and Gum posted:

I concocted a whole clever reason as to what Dylan was going to order as his gift and why. I thought it would be something heavy so he could use the weight to help pull down the second switch when poo poo went down. In hindsight the story didn’t need that sort of convoluted connection. The gift was just sweet :3:

Remind me what his gift was?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

blue squares posted:

cube with the 4 workers picture in it

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

i am a moron posted:

I don’t really like binging any show I’ve realized, ever since Mandalorian did a week to week thing I’ve realized I’ve abandoned more shows that dump all their episodes at once than I can remember. But even weak stuff like Boba Fett I watched to the end hoping the next episode wouldn’t quite be so bad.

I'm the exact opposite. I stopped watching Boba Fett after a couple of episodes. If there had been the whole season available all at once I'd have just powered through it and watched them all instead of giving up. I've done that with lots of shows. I really should just start waiting till full seasons are out. But I suppose if I had patience I wouldn't have this problem in the first place.

Cojawfee posted:

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Depends on how they're prepared. Scrambled, or in an omelette? Absolutely. Hard boiled, or deviled? You'd have to be crazy.

Son of a Vondruke! fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 3, 2022

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
know a guy who does ranch eggs. sounds bad but it's worse: he puts ranch in the raw egg he stirs up to make scrambled egg

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

There was a quote somewhere in an episode, from Rickens book:

"What separates man from machine is that machines cannot think for themselves. Also, they are made of metal, whereas man is made of skin."

Seemed kind of out of place at the time but the more I think about her actually being in a coma but her body not being real (a robot or clone body or w/e) the more it makes sense to me. Ready to be incredibly wrong, but enjoying think about this show.

It would be incredible if the most nakedly-funny almost-self-aware Ricken pull quote ended up being deliberate foreshadowing.

I also agree in general there's some immortality attempt going on for kier and likely other CEOs. Additionally I think they also want to create people who are pure according to their cult ideals, they've likely already severed children and at least are working on legalization of it, there's at least one known case of a severed worker becoming pregnant while severed. A lot of their kier-bible quotes and things talk about not letting bad poo poo sit in your veins and language that evokes concepts of sin and repentance kind of stuff, but it's also stuff that might be inherently tainting people, even the relatively clean slate severed, so I can see them wanting to create either people or "vessels" that are more innately aligned with whatever their interpretation of kierness is. The other chip protocol we saw also ominously hint at various other styles of mind control they've designed too, they've got bigger plans than just exploiting workers.

Season Finale cliffhanger thingy they could pull: Revealing there are already a bunch of outie-severed people in positions of power who aren't really aware they've been severed at all or don't otherwise realize how they're being manipulated. Kind of a too-predictable thing to happen with any mind-controllers, shapeshifters, reptilians, etc but that's the natural fear and threat given the circumstances.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Khanstant posted:

It would be incredible if the most nakedly-funny almost-self-aware Ricken pull quote ended up being deliberate foreshadowing.

I think him being a super amateur philosopher type in outie world but his words seeming so wise to the innies is hilarious and do hope it ties in somehow.

Khanstant posted:

I also agree in general there's some immortality attempt going on for kier and likely other CEOs. Additionally I think they also want to create people who are pure according to their cult ideals, they've likely already severed children and at least are working on legalization of it, there's at least one known case of a severed worker becoming pregnant while severed. A lot of their kier-bible quotes and things talk about not letting bad poo poo sit in your veins and language that evokes concepts of sin and repentance kind of stuff, but it's also stuff that might be inherently tainting people, even the relatively clean slate severed, so I can see them wanting to create either people or "vessels" that are more innately aligned with whatever their interpretation of kierness is. The other chip protocol we saw also ominously hint at various other styles of mind control they've designed too, they've got bigger plans than just exploiting workers.

I can see this fitting with how they use the MDR people (who I still think represent the four humours in some way) to do whatever kind of programming they do. I could see it being about creating the perfect worker with how the Kier culty stuff talks about work.

Like a basically immortal family/group/board having an unlimited supply of perfect workers means they would win at capitalism.

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
Ricken is my favorite non-severed character and I hope he isn't secretly evil or a Lumon plant or something.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I feel slightly vindicated knowing that Gemma is stuck down there. I don’t know what I heard to think that initially but :shrug:

I also think that they’re leading us toward Cobel being so invested in Mark/Gemma and them recognizing each other and reintegration because the Charlotte Cobel we keep seeing on the hospital wrist band is her mother who has been severed in a similar way to Gemma. She’s hoping that she can get her mother back. Would explain her cult-like devotion to Lumon/Kier and why she was pushing the team into a position to question their severance.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Freaquency posted:

I feel slightly vindicated knowing that Gemma is stuck down there. I don’t know what I heard to think that initially but :shrug:

I also think that they’re leading us toward Cobel being so invested in Mark/Gemma and them recognizing each other and reintegration because the Charlotte Cobel we keep seeing on the hospital wrist band is her mother who has been severed in a similar way to Gemma. She’s hoping that she can get her mother back. Would explain her cult-like devotion to Lumon/Kier and why she was pushing the team into a position to question their severance.

I also think it's possible that Gemma wasn't severed so much as actually was braindead or in a perma-coma post-accident, and Lumon got bodies of people like that and faked deaths to be able to freely test their technology. Perhaps they actually succeeded at letting a new personality take over the body even though the old one is gone (and thus they're concerned with the lingering question of whether the old person is still really in there somehow).

It would be interesting to me, at least, if they really did figure something out that could give people a second chance at life and be used for something positive, even if the original person doesn't exist anymore. And then promptly used it to make corporate slaves, of course.

eke out fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 3, 2022

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

THIS_IS_FINE posted:

Ricken is my favorite non-severed character and I hope he isn't secretly evil or a Lumon plant or something.

Cool Ricken

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Hughmoris posted:

Cool Ricken

Hahaha yesssss a man of culture I see

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

eke out posted:

I also think it's possible that Gemma wasn't severed so much as actually was braindead or in a perma-coma post-accident, and Lumon got bodies of people like that and faked deaths to be able to freely test their technology. Perhaps they actually succeeded at letting a new personality take over the body even though the old one is gone (and thus they're concerned with the lingering question of whether the old person is still really in there somehow).

It would be interesting to me, at least, if they really did figure something out that could give people a second chance at life and be used for something positive, even if the original person doesn't exist anymore. And then promptly used it to make corporate slaves, of course.

Hmmm ok now I’ve got a wildass theory that I’m sure is untrue. Maybe Cobel has a relative (charlotte) that she is hoping can be “woken” from severance but she’s scared of loving her up worse so she’s experimenting on Mark first, since she doesn’t give a poo poo about him. And I’m addition to being fired the loss of the chance to help her mom/sister/whoever is why she’s all hosed up and all “gently caress lumon” to Mark

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Hawkperson posted:

Hmmm ok now I’ve got a wildass theory that I’m sure is untrue. Maybe Cobel has a relative (charlotte) that she is hoping can be “woken” from severance but she’s scared of loving her up worse so she’s experimenting on Mark first, since she doesn’t give a poo poo about him. And I’m addition to being fired the loss of the chance to help her mom/sister/whoever is why she’s all hosed up and all “gently caress lumon” to Mark

IF the stuff to do with comas is right, (which I feel it has to be with so many references, especially the GLASGOW coma scale.) then she's definitely trying to save someone she loves.

She seemed kind of desperate to prove that un-severing can be done, which isn't something the board believe.

Her trying to get Mark to recognise his wife because of their love or whatever, with the sneaky candle and the only having her in for half hour sessions seem like her trying to figure out how it's done on the down low, without the board finding out.

I'm still undecided if she'll end up as a baddie or a goodie, or just out for herself or what.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm going with neither baddie nor goodie but severely pursuing what she believes is right by her own hosed up cult-indoctrinated morales.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah I bet she's temporarily on Mark's side and ends up somehow with even more power next season

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
At this point, I'm fairly certain that the last episode begins with the innies activating, look befuzzled for 3-5 seconds and take in their environment, and then the outies coming back out (because Milchick got the drop on Dylan), playing it off as a bout of dizzyness, leaving anyone around them none the wiser. Except maybe Cobel, which will however only act upon it at the very end of the episode. The rest of the episode will be the innies staging a revolution on the severed floor or some poo poo.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

Khanstant posted:

'from the Latin word Camera which means a device for taking photographs'

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
ricken the prophet i is for eyes

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

At this point, I'm fairly certain that the last episode begins with the innies activating, look befuzzled for 3-5 seconds and take in their environment, and then the outies coming back out (because Milchick got the drop on Dylan), playing it off as a bout of dizzyness, leaving anyone around them none the wiser. Except maybe Cobel, which will however only act upon it at the very end of the episode. The rest of the episode will be the innies staging a revolution on the severed floor or some poo poo.

the pessimist in me is scared you're right but story-wise that would be an awful payoff for the "innie Mark is going to embarrass the poo poo out of outie Mark by being an adoring wide-eyed fan of Rickon in front of a shitload of people including his sister" setup

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Dylon did tie the door shut with either his belt or tie, so that should have given him a little bit of time. I'd sooner believe he has to hold the switches the whole time and can't (comically switching them back and forth as he tries).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Tiggum posted:

The explanation that's been suggested by some in this thread, that it's some kind of pilot program so they want positive results to justify its expansion, makes a lot of sense. We've seen that the procedure is being regularly debated and protested, so it's not something that's established in this society and everyone's used to.

oh for sure but I meant more like, why these people specifically were chosen

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Definitely won't happen because...

Hawkperson posted:

that would be an awful payoff for the "innie Mark is going to embarrass the poo poo out of outie Mark by being an adoring wide-eyed fan of Rickon in front of a shitload of people including his sister" setup
...and I absolutely think this is the payoff for Ricken's existence in this series right now. There is no secret to Ricken, there is no greater importance for Ricken, he is simply the amazing setup for an amazing joke and that is it. There's a certain point where this show needs grounding in reality and it's ridden that line tighter than a tightrope. I think Ricken being anything more than what he's presented as would make the show fall off and just be pure fantasy. It's barely hanging on with the idea that Devon let this guy marry her and have a kid with her, I'd sooner see a twist in how that happened than the idea that this guy is somehow not who he seems to be.

Plus, even if we don't get the innie-Mark-worshiping-Ricken joke, the insane build-up from the last episode only having a 5 second resolution at the start of the finale is C-tier television production. I would pull this show back from a 10/10 to an 8/10 for that alone without a hefty pay-off for doing so. It'll be a massive crow to eat.

Tweak posted:

Dylon did tie the door shut with either his belt or tie, so that should have given him a little bit of time. I'd sooner believe he has to hold the switches the whole time and can't (comically switching them back and forth as he tries).
Since we've already seen a hand have to go up to the knob to turn it off when Milcheck radio'd to end Overtime with Dylan, we know this isn't the case. However, I am now realizing that Milcheck had two people help him with that Overtime and we still have no idea who either of them were. In the same way we thought Burt only had 1 co-worker but actually has a handful, Milcheck may have a whole department we don't know about because, oh, they're just behind this door and weren't needed for anything else.

It seems like one of the overriding themes of Lumon leadership is that leaders always try to get things done on their own and are absolutely awful at delegation.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 4, 2022

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

DaveKap posted:

Since we've already seen a hand have to go up to the knob to turn it off when Milcheck radio'd to end Overtime with Dylan, we know this isn't the case. However, I am now realizing that Milcheck had two people help him with that Overtime and we still have no idea who either of them were.

I don't know if two people are helping him (given that Dylan managed to do it solo) but regardless: my money is on Helly's outie being the hand on the switch.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
isn't it just more likely that there are more than 3 people working at lumon?

we've only seen milchek, cobel and graener in that department, but i assumed there would be at least a few more staff members who aren't severed helping to run things. a couple more security guards, one of whom was helping milchek that night.

unless the reason we haven't seen anybody else is because the operation is actually much smaller than everybody thinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

blue squares posted:

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

cube with the 4 workers picture in it
Sweet and all, but also practical: I assumed this was chosen so he'd recognise his fellow innies once he was out.