Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valdent
Mar 16, 2016
Just finished up the chasm in every way that matters and my conclusion is there are not nearly enough black serpents. No I'm not annoyed that it takes days to get the material for ayato's dumb sword because of how few of these guys there are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
I replayed BotW late last year and while I still love BotW , it gave me a lot to think about regarding Genshin. It's hard to say how both games will compare by the time Genshin is "done", and by then the next Zelda game will have been released.

It's fairly important that Sumeru, or it's transitionary area, be stapled to the left side of Liyue. They can allow players to explore freely and do sidequests but hide Archon quests. If they force players through a single ravine to a Ritou-like area requiring completion of all of Inazuma beforehand, that bodes pretty ill for the structure of the rest of the game.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

I had fun playing through BotW one time, but don't see myself ever playing it again, nor did I keep playing after beating the final boss like I can absolutely see myself doing with Elden Ring (as the newest shiniest example of an open world game). Weapon durability in particular was overtuned as hell. Found a nice new weapon somewhere? Hope you enjoy watching it blow up after clearing ONE ENEMY CAMP. loving awful design choice. The worst possible way to handle item balance and scarcity.

Chasm is neat so far, haven't progressed much through the unlocking quest chain yet though. It's neat in an attention-to-details way that the "mining" zone seems to have more crystal and ore deposits than other areas of the map.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

sushibandit posted:

Chasm is neat so far, haven't progressed much through the unlocking quest chain yet though. It's neat in an attention-to-details way that the "mining" zone seems to have more crystal and ore deposits than other areas of the map.

Yeah, I think I got more Jade in a day in the Chasm than I have for weeks in Liyue. It's great if you're trying to level up Beidou

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Elden Ring will also ruin you on BotW for different reasons, yeah (in particular, Elden Ring manages to build an actual difficulty curve, and communicates it very naturally without having to tell you outright that you shouldn't be somewhere). The biggest problem with Elden Ring's open world is that it only covers about 3/4 of the plot: the last 1/4 consists largely of a boss rush.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

BabyRyoga posted:

Conversely, Stamina in BotW works pretty well as a limiting factor of what your character is capable of.

stamina sucked in botw too

hell it was worse

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
It's going to be interesting going back to BOTW2 after spending so much time in Genshin.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Manatee Cannon posted:

stamina sucked in botw too

hell it was worse

Well, it served a purpose, though. I think most of the shortcomings in Genshin with stamina are just there to waste your goddamn time. The best example of course, is the fact that burst-climbing will absolutely cause you to run out of stamina and fall, so you are pretty much forced to snail your way up. If faced with the same scenario in BOTW, the most important factor would simply be having enough stamina to make it to the top, in which case you could burst-climb your way up 85% without too much of a net energy loss in the same way as Genshin, then strategically combo between slow and burst to make it up the last little bit.

Whether climbing a cliff is compelling gameplay or not, Genshin basically just copied the mechanic without really understanding the way it is used in terms of stamina gameplay mechanics.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

i can probably count on one hand the number of times ive slow climbed something in genshin

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I want the advantages Link has ported over to Genshin. He has armor that helps him, can eat food to increase and restore his stamina at any time and just looks like he climbs faster in general.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

finished with the "main" Chasm questline and it's pretty slight in terms of actual story meat, but exactly the kind of exploration/puzzle stuff i enjoy. looking forward to the sidequests (Uncle He has been good so far, and holy poo poo multiple Fatui NPCs?!) and whatever else they've got planned for follow-up. Zhiqiong is just an awful character to hang around though and I suppose for all her issues I'm glad she survived so we didn't have to do an even stupider version of the Teppei song and dance.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Stamina should not exist at all in Genshin outside of climbing, swimming, and combat dodges, prove me wrong. :colbert:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

honestly it shouldn't exist at all outside of combat

BabyRyoga posted:

Well, it served a purpose, though. I think most of the shortcomings in Genshin with stamina are just there to waste your goddamn time. The best example of course, is the fact that burst-climbing will absolutely cause you to run out of stamina and fall, so you are pretty much forced to snail your way up. If faced with the same scenario in BOTW, the most important factor would simply be having enough stamina to make it to the top, in which case you could burst-climb your way up 85% without too much of a net energy loss in the same way as Genshin, then strategically combo between slow and burst to make it up the last little bit.

Whether climbing a cliff is compelling gameplay or not, Genshin basically just copied the mechanic without really understanding the way it is used in terms of stamina gameplay mechanics.

botw stamina was much worse about wasting your time. it's prob the worst stamina system I've dealt with in a modern game. like I cannot overstate how much I disagree with this take

I bet just hitting burst climb over and over again until you ran out would still be more stamina efficient and get you higher than anything you could do in botw. your stamina drained faster and you had way less of it

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

BabyRyoga posted:

It's kind of baffling to me either way, really. I can understand the metroidvania-like progression of needing X stamina to reach Y location, but burst climbing/swimming consuming extra stamina is just slowing you down for... reasons? Same goes for games (Ocarina included) that include a spammable roll/dodge that is faster than normal movement or an unlimited sprint that requires constantly clicking and/or holding down a button. Elden Ring's removal of stamina outside of combat shouldn't be revolutionary but here we are.

I guess eventually Genshin will add more stamina statues in and none of this will matter, but it's still confusing how a company would think making me stop and slowly walk until a meter fills for a few seconds is going to either enhance my enjoyment or provide any real padding. Doubly weird here because of the whole hour-a-day thing.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
I don't think climbing and running are the same in this respect. With climbing theoretically the barrier for how high you can climb is how much total stamina you have, so having jump climbing be less efficient feels like unnecessary friction. But with running the only factor is average speed, and I imagine they have some target for how fast you can travel. It doesn't make a huge difference to me whether that's a continuous run or sprints with stamina recovery.

Like if they wanted to make travel faster they could just give you a horse. While they're at it give "cavalry" Kaeya one too.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
BotW climbing was a part of the adventure. Climbing was pretty drat dangerous, but also really useful. It really gave you a "you vs the elements" feel in that getting up somewhere was its own puzzle. Stopping to take in the scenery when in rained was very cool the first few times you have to stay somewhere out of the elements, but coming back to play the DLC made it get old fast.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I tried to like BotW multiple times but it just never landed for me. It's not what I want from a Zelda game. I respect it for what it is, but it was for an audience that didn't include me.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So having done the Chasm story, here's my theory on the greater mysteries -

I think that the gods of Celestia are all immortal Aliens, just like you and your sibling. They came to Teyvat to rule the land and be worshipped. Khaenri'ah discovered this and the royal family of the nation invented something that the gods of Celestia would hate. Maybe it was something like "we created an item that would let anyone channel the powers of the elements/create visions" or "we created an item that would block the powers of the gods" or something along those lines. Something that the common people wouldn't know about. So the gods of Celestia destroyed the nation. In doing so, it unleashed the weapon and caused the void curse. Oooh. Maybe the item was like a "void vision" or something like that. And the void power was the one thing gods couldn't stand up against.

Maybe as the gods were destroying Celestia, the royal family tried to make everyone immortal by merging their bodies with the void, creating the curse. This allows there to be some gray areas on both sides. Evil nobility in Khaenri'ah and overzealous gods that keep secrets and took things too far.

But I've only done main story and haven't done hardly any of the individual character stories.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Mordiceius posted:

I think that the gods of Celestia are all immortal Aliens, just like you and your sibling. They came to Teyvat to rule the land and be worshipped. Khaenri'ah discovered this and the royal family of the nation invented something that the gods of Celestia would hate. Maybe it was something like "we created an item that would let anyone channel the powers of the elements/create visions" or "we created an item that would block the powers of the gods" or something along those lines. Something that the common people wouldn't know about. So the gods of Celestia destroyed the nation. In doing so, it unleashed the weapon and caused the void curse. Oooh. Maybe the item was like a "void vision" or something like that. And the void power was the one thing gods couldn't stand up against.

Maybe as the gods were destroying Celestia, the royal family tried to make everyone immortal by merging their bodies with the void, creating the curse. This allows there to be some gray areas on both sides. Evil nobility in Khaenri'ah and overzealous gods that keep secrets and took things too far.

But I've only done main story and haven't done hardly any of the individual character stories.

Khaenri'ah is definitely evil in their own ways, unless we get a really, really, REALLY good reason as to why Gold unleashed all those monsters all over Teyvat. A lot of BAD THINGS happened because of that, including the death of the Dendro Archon, Electro Archon (Ei's sister), Dvalin being corrupted, Signora's lover dying and causing her to be consumed with pyro, etc etc etc. All of this is Gold's fault, and by extension, Khaenri'ah. While its possible she did this independently of Khaenri'ah, the fact that she's even capable of this tells magnitudes of the threat Khaenri'ah was to the seven nations, and likely why Celestia (and the Archons) sought to destroy it.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
I feel like the biggest takeaway from this update, and it was implied previously, is that Khaenri'ah was not the first.

I'd already assumed as much with the Dragonspine civilization, and I don't remember for sure whether it was explicitly said that Enkanomiya got a lesser version of the same treatment or if that was from a lore video, but the upside down civilization with technology to alleviate the curse is a pretty loving big indication that what happened to Khaenri'ah happened before and can happen again.

I feel like most of the grey with this is going to be about WHY Celestia doesn't want people to know some things, and I hope their reasons and things they don't want known goes beyond a mythologized version of Celestia and Humanity being alien invaders.

It's probably Honkai :tinfoil:
But also definitely never going to be called that.

Also am I the only one who didn't realize Dainslef had both eyes until this update?

I thought maybe it was new and the camera kept drawing attention to it but nobody said anything and I looked it up and he's had it all along.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Man, thank god for wikis. Yeah all this information is in the details game tab but it's much nicer to look at on a computer.

Good news for me, you can buy Unagi Meat from a Ritou shop after you do Raiden's second story quest. I wish they had a way to like, time loop speedrun some of these daily quests. I've already done the 'talk to the kids and find out how many boats came in' quest a dozen times, can I just cut it down to three text boxes and move on? And the same for most of these things, not a lot of them have special side paths to completing them like the Gourmet Supremos one.

Still waiting and hoping that one day they'll turn all the world and daily boss icons into teleports. Nobody likes the Geo cube run even though at max stamina you can just cut across the ocean if you have Mona or Ayaka (Probably. I assume they both have the same max sprint distance. I don't have Ayaka so I can't say with any certainty) and I don't like running to Andrius so I'm just constantly dropping portable teleporters in front of his arena. Everything in Inazuma has an easy teleport near the bosses so I want to imagine that they're open to the idea if it's possible.

Captain France posted:

Also am I the only one who didn't realize Dainslef had both eyes until this update?

I thought maybe it was new and the camera kept drawing attention to it but nobody said anything and I looked it up and he's had it all along.

I assume you knew and just forgot since it's been like seven months since his last quest. But no, I tend to look at the screen while I'm playing games instead of having them on in the background. :v:

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Man, thank god for wikis. Yeah all this information is in the details game tab but it's much nicer to look at on a computer.

Good news for me, you can buy Unagi Meat from a Ritou shop after you do Raiden's second story quest. I wish they had a way to like, time loop speedrun some of these daily quests. I've already done the 'talk to the kids and find out how many boats came in' quest a dozen times, can I just cut it down to three text boxes and move on? And the same for most of these things, not a lot of them have special side paths to completing them like the Gourmet Supremos one.

Still waiting and hoping that one day they'll turn all the world and daily boss icons into teleports. Nobody likes the Geo cube run even though at max stamina you can just cut across the ocean if you have Mona or Ayaka (Probably. I assume they both have the same max sprint distance. I don't have Ayaka so I can't say with any certainty) and I don't like running to Andrius so I'm just constantly dropping portable teleporters in front of his arena. Everything in Inazuma has an easy teleport near the bosses so I want to imagine that they're open to the idea if it's possible.

I assume you knew and just forgot since it's been like seven months since his last quest. But no, I tend to look at the screen while I'm playing games instead of having them on in the background. :v:

I remembered he had an eye patch.
I did not remember that his eye patch had a hole in it for his eye.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Mordiceius posted:

Here's where I'm at:

There are two Celestias. The throne with Phanes, which the people of Enkanomiya were familiar with, and the Second To Arrive and their throne. These might or might not loosely correlate to light and darkness. There was a big war which sunk Enkanomiya and they don't know who won, but due to the continued patronage of Istaroth they assume Phanes' faction. My speculation is that Phanes' faction did win, with heavy losses, and Second's faction was driven underground (literally under Teyvat) into the Dark Sea where defeated gods flee. From there they started influencing surface civilisations to develop in ways Celestia does not approve of to continue their war.

Celestia bestows Visions on the worthy as a "safe" way to channel elemental power. Perhaps it derives power from people using them, somehow. Maybe it literally feeds on their desires and dreams? The Abyss might derive power from people using the kind of alchemy Khaenri'ah delved into to manipulate the elements, and so Celestia stamps that out wherever they find it. The Abyss Order seem all-in on their blasphemies, and I think this is because they have learned more about the Second Throne and have openly allied with it. They might not have the full story, they might be dupes to some degree. Gold unleashed her monster horde as a desperate gasp to inflict as much damage on the Celestian order as possible. She effectively suicide bombed the world when it became clear that Khaenri'ah's number was up and a celestial needle was in their immediate future. Like happened to the Chasm civilisation. Like Sal Vindagnyr. The curse of Khaenri'ah is just the natural consequence of prolonged exposure to the Dark Sea while being from the world of light. The Chasm civilisation's cleansing technology was to allow them to tap into Abyss power to a greater degree without suffering immediate severe erosion of self, or something.

Also, re: the twin: The abyss twin seems to absolutely be the one in the BP cutscene. They were tasked by Celestia with retrieving the Genesis Pearl, possibly as a condition of being allowed to leave the world. The Traveler was held as collateral, it seems. At some point they encountered Khaenri'ah and were somehow indoctrinated into Abyss ideology. Them referring to Khaenri'ah as "the homeland" makes me think they're not completely in their right mind and have perhaps forgotten they're not even a native of this world. They now believe themselves to be from there -- as the BP says, they "forgot their noble origins". The Traveler was released by Celestia without instruction as a second gambit.... or was perhaps provided with Paimon as a subtler guide.

MarquiseMindfang fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 4, 2022

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
after about an hour of playing genshin I realized how much time and care went into making the BotW climbing good. it's a shame about the no climbing while raining thing, it's a dark spot on an otherwise perfect game

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
If you want to destroy the seven kingdoms of Teyvat to restore your dead kingdom then maybe you're the bad guys.

Are hillichurls being hollows from dark souls a new plot development or did we already know that?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/X9sa8AG.mp4

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Space Opera posted:

Re: the Yae "fixes", I wonder if 3.0 is going to give us a big under the hood overhaul on stuff like targeting etc. There's a notice on the bug page that says Ayato getting some kind of fix as well in 3.0 that's caused by how statuses ate applied or something? It's not a quick fix but something inherent to the way the system is designed right now.

Some of the things that plague Genshin are purely because Unity is a dumb monster of a stupid rear end in a top hat program. Targeting, collision, and the UI are especially problematic simply because Unity is problematic. It would not surprise me that a lot of what they want to do requires deep changes and doing so is a big time ask to wrestle against with Unity.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

I feel like a lot of the verboseness of Genshin would be a lot more tolerable if dialog could be skipped immediately instead of some inherent delay built in before skip is functional .

Zhiqiong or whomever arguing with you whether she felt good or not was just me yelling 'shut up' and hitting 'x' as fast as possible. Maybe I can read quicker than they expect you to.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Maxwells Demon posted:

I feel like a lot of the verboseness of Genshin would be a lot more tolerable if dialog could be skipped immediately instead of some inherent delay built in before skip is functional .

Zhiqiong or whomever arguing with you whether she felt good or not was just me yelling 'shut up' and hitting 'x' as fast as possible. Maybe I can read quicker than they expect you to.

Skipping is not available till any animations have finished playing, this includes camera movement.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

It's terrible, especially because the writing has been terrible for a very long time now, especially in events.

Albedo stuff was good though.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe
Raiden's second story quest was great

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran
I'm AR 45 and most of my chars are stuck at 60. What the hell do I do to get their mats? I suck at this game despite putting in way too much time (on the toilet).

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i feel like aside from Labyrinth Warriors and Lantern Rite (Inferior Version) there hasn't been much to complain about writing-wise? oh and Kokomi having a kinda stupid character quest i guess.

i'm sitting on Ayato and Itto atm but was very pleased with where Raiden has gone and Yae's as well though yeah i can agree the main Chasm stuff was just tedious because of Zhiqiong.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Xalidur posted:

It's terrible, especially because the writing has been terrible for a very long time now, especially in events.

Albedo stuff was good though.

Funny how all the best story stuff is written around the best character. :smuggo:

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
There are a lot of gacha games that have figured out how to give you a big ol "skip entire sequence" button, and some of them are even smart enough to give you a brief summary of what happened in the scene if you do so.

I feel like Mihoyo is convinced that their writing is incredible and is adamant that you will savor every line whether you want to or not.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

honkai always let you skip the cutscenes (also the story is better)

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe
The photo taking event is pretty fun

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Most of this update's story quest stuff was great, but oh my god I haven't screamed internally at a game and wanted to put words into an MC's mouth this much in years, I think.

Zhiqiong was a fun character at first, and she's kind of understandable later with the amount of information the Traveler gives her and the Traveler's insistence to keep rushing things.

How hard would a less ranty version of "Zhiqiong, that was a loving Abyss Herald. They do not show up for anything the Abyss Order has not deemed a Big loving Deal. I met what was left of a whole company of Fatui a while back, who are now retreating because most of them are loving dead. You would be in incredible danger even if you were a seasoned adventurer who was in perfect condition. Go back to camp, and if I'm not back in a few hours take the entire team out and tell Keqing and Ninguang" early on, and where was "I will also go back to camp to rest" later have been?

Instead, we got the incredibly frustrating "Go back to camp you're sick, that is the only reason I am giving, I'm going to keep exploring" over and over, and it's incredibly frustrating, even moreso with waiting for animations instead of going at text speed.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
I've explored a lot of mines in video games but I've never played one where an MSHA inspector bosses you around while doing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

For some reason the Chasm gave me real WoW flashbacks, I'm not sure why. The zone felt kind of like something from that game. The music too with the Silvermoon City-like cellos and I think I heard some Howling Fjord in there too.

The worm boss is a bit annoying though, did I imagine it or did the one in the questline get stunned once you cleared out the blobs of purple goo? The "real" boss doesn't seem to care and I'm not sure why you'd even clear them out.