Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1510727817725902849

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

cant cook creole bream posted:

It feels a bit gross playing devil's advocate here, but how would we know, all of those dead bodies are civilians?

They're probably not all civilians, but without a doubt most of them are, and there are also some that were undoubtedly civilians.

For example, executed children were definitely not soldiers.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Some witness accounts from Bucha from German tabloid Bild. In English, and obviously :nms:

https://twitter.com/ronzheimer/status/1510666442869460996
https://twitter.com/ronzheimer/status/1510667972943265795

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Lighter post

Looks like the Russians tried to figure out ways to fool the drones that were kicking their rear end
https://twitter.com/OAlexanderDK/status/1510733973386895365?t=x_P7uirX58VBGohmIXCNEQ&s=19
Points for creativity anyway.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Electric Wrigglies posted:

now that Africa voted with China and Russia.

It didn’t, particularly. Certainly not in the initial UN resolution criticising the war. Looking here it’s more of a 50/50 split between “voted against Russia” and “abstained”, with only Eritrea voting with Russia.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

OctaMurk posted:

I'm pretty sure there's absolute assloads of Abrams literally lying around. We have tons of extra, as well as other military equipment leftover from the Cold War and other wars since. Apaches not so much though.

The United States gives non-export variant M1’s with the incredibly secret American depleted uranium armor schema to absolutely nobody, not even NATO countries.

I seriously doubt they will make an exception for Ukraine. So those old American M1’s sitting in mothballs? You can absolutely forget about those ever showing up in Ukraine unless the United States goes to war with Russia.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

fez_machine posted:

Yeah, if people could stop using comparative hyperbole about separate and unrelated massacres that would be great.

Worse or lesser is a terrible way to compare these type of events.

Just real loving tasteless.

I think comparing them misses the point, but I get why people associate them as there are only so many mental references people have for images of mass graves so it's pretty much inevitable people are going to associate this with previous atrocities they've seen.

Also worth remembering that this is just 2 days after regaining control that all this has come out. God knows what they'll find once they're looking around deeper into the forests and not just in the open pit graves in town centers.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Paladinus posted:

Their timeline isn't even correct. Bucha's mayor recorded the video about the town's liberation on March 31st, but almost immediately MoD warned that Russians might still be there, and the town was not safe. The first photos of the bodies on the road (that I could find) were posted on facebook on April 2.

A small correction. Even though the mayor says in the video 'today, on March 31', the earliest version of the video I can find is actually from April 1, so he might have simply forgot what day it was. MoD did issue a statement that it wasn't safe to return to the town on the same day, April 1.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/lostweapons/status/1510750075709911041?s=21&t=29oMxcMMOQ0z2-jkLN-rBQ

d64
Jan 15, 2003
Orbán, having secured a clear victory in the polls tonight, apparently cited a longish list of enemies of Hungary in his victory speech; the list included the left, the bureaucracy in Brussels, international Media, and president Zelenskyy.

:thaoldme:

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

HolHorsejob posted:

Half the periodic table goes into semiconductor production.

The hazardous shipments alone are eye popping. Short of explosives and radioactives, these gases get attention. I mean some of this poo poo is PIH A , 2.1,2.3,5.1, and 8 and fluorine compounds.

It’s fantastically nasty stuff.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 3, 2022

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
The comparison to srebrenica isnt limited to here though, its very mich something that is being broadcast across media spectrum right Now on multiple countries and not just based on zelenskys speech.

The comparison is apt on the part that the murdering and warcriming are starting to very much show symptoms of being top-down ordered, and as such it could be claimed that what is uncovering Now is ”srebrenica that got cancelled” Because russians lost the part of the war enabling it.

Millenial western culture cancelling war crimes.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

ZombieLenin posted:

The United States gives non-export variant M1’s with the incredibly secret American depleted uranium armor schema to absolutely nobody, not even NATO countries.

I seriously doubt they will make an exception for Ukraine. So those old American M1’s sitting in mothballs? You can absolutely forget about those ever showing up in Ukraine unless the United States goes to war with Russia.

M1A1 seems to have composite armor. The same model seems to be given to a bunch of countries including Egypt and Iraq. M1A2 and newer M1A1 variants with uranium armor have gone to Australia and Kuwait.. at least according to the Wiki. no idea how many are stored in those old warehouses though.

Not saying they would give them to Ukraine.. just that making the M1A1 some secret weapon that noone can see from the inside is an exaggeration.

Just saw a documentary or article though that the factories in US are pretty much shut down and have minimal refit capability for the existing models.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Maybe they will change their mind about the Marder IFV stock as well.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

SlowBloke posted:

Close borders, block any trade, leave them in complete isolation until there is regime change and even then, have them heavily monitored by neutral auditors to verify for voting and civil rights abuse. Demand complete reports on who was were in Ukraine and ship it to the Hague along with any commanding officer. Just random poo poo off the top of my head

I mean it's not a bad idea to keep some level of sanctions, especially on military equipment (to prevent rearmament) and luxuries (to nail the upper class where it hurts), but as has been demonstrated over and over sanctions don't really cause regime change. And even if there WAS regime change whoever takes over will have just usurped a dictator longer than some adult Russians have been alive during which time he exercised increasingly total control over state media messaging - under such circumstances they'll be looking to shore up their rule and their internal position and "handing over members of our glorious defenders to be tried for war crimes in Western courts while admitting Western auditors to oversee our government selection process when we have continually for the past two decades reviled the West as being Russophobes who want to see our culture and nation extinguished" isn't really an act that improves internal stability or love for the new regime unless the nation has collapsed into complete and utter chaos and people are desperate for any kind of peace.

Which, again, sanctions don't tend to do. About the only way to produce a real reckoning is to make it in the interests of the leaders of Russia to show their populace what has actually been done in their name with a full acknowledgement of what it meant, and generally speaking it is very rarely in the interests of a national leader to do this, especially an autocrat. The exception is pretty much only if someone's holding a gun to their head or if their nation is for whatever reason on the edge of disintegration if they DON'T do it, and both of those require more coercive power than I think we can bring to bear on Russia. Because nukes.

(Though, and this is probably clancychat, I do kinda wonder if we currently have that coercive power even WITHOUT nukes. The armies of today aren't the armies of WW2 and even if Russian armies can be beaten in the field I have a sneaking suspicion that NATO isn't really set up to support the total invasion and occupation of Russia and that the logistical difficulties of doing so would severely strain even the US military, let alone many of the more defensively-minded NATO allies. And the cost of a serious peer total war would be astronomical in a way that I'm not sure even the economies of the West can sustain right now.)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

d64 posted:

Orbán, having secured a clear victory in the polls tonight, apparently cited a longish list of enemies of Hungary in his victory speech; the list included the left, the bureaucracy in Brussels, international Media, and president Zelenskyy.

:thaoldme:

https://twitter.com/roddreher/status/1510746411591159816

lol rod seems to love him still.

i think orban is hosed because anyone with a brain knows that he will petain the country for more power.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not going to common on the srebrenica compaison for now but overall it does seem like there's a lot of murdering going on. Initially I really didn't think this would be the case, what with ukrainians and russians being so close and all, but given the whole context it would be almost more suprising if there weren't a ton of massacres. They've been told that Ukraine is a bunch of nazis and nationalists so of course they're going to find some to execute. Anyone anyone who runs away is a nationalist, and anyone who stays and resists is a well disciplined nationalists, etc.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

KitConstantine posted:

Lighter post

Looks like the Russians tried to figure out ways to fool the drones that were kicking their rear end
https://twitter.com/OAlexanderDK/status/1510733973386895365?t=x_P7uirX58VBGohmIXCNEQ&s=19
Points for creativity anyway.

Ok, and we are sure this is a decoy, and not just the best armor they can field?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

SirTagz posted:

M1A1 seems to have composite armor. The same model seems to be given to a bunch of countries including Egypt and Iraq. M1A2 and newer M1A1 variants with uranium armor have gone to Australia and Kuwait.. at least according to the Wiki. no idea how many are stored in those old warehouses though.

Not saying they would give them to Ukraine.. just that making the M1A1 some secret weapon that noone can see from the inside is an exaggeration.

Just saw a documentary or article though that the factories in US are pretty much shut down and have minimal refit capability for the existing models.

No, not the version with depleted uranium armor. Export variants are 100% steel armor variants.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Odesa's gotten hit a bunch today, reportedly at least 6 times if we include the attacks on their fuel farms from earlier today. A Dutch journalist filmed the site of those bombings and has been kicked out of and banned from Ukraine for 10 years
https://twitter.com/truth_about_war/status/1510669416421339144?t=OZdCInFv_YvvXLkqSUy_Cg&s=19
Journalists have to acknowledge the rules against this kind of thing before veing allowed in country, so :byewhore:

But looks like they may have gotten some of their own back - a Russian frigate got hit
https://twitter.com/revishvilig/status/1510709802174930946?t=D9ylBhJhxncJinnIzzm2CQ&s=19
Source - unspecified Ukrainian Navy officials who DO NOT mention the Neptune so that's an editorialization, and as yet unconfirmed.

https://ukrainetoday.org/2022/04/03/ukrainian-defenders-damaged-russian-missile-frigate/

Edit: the reporter is also posting through it on Twitter if you want to confirm

KitConstantine fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 4, 2022

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The foundational western principles of hating George Soros, oppressing gay people, and causing issues in the European Union. Perhaps he could form a personal union with Lukashenko?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ZombieLenin posted:

No, not the version with depleted uranium armor. Export variants are 100% steel armor variants.

Guys, Ukraine isn't asking for the latest M1A2s or F-35s. Warsaw pact surplus like the Mig 29s, S300s etc would already be a huge boost.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ZombieLenin posted:

Poland bought 250 M1A2 SEPv3 MBTs from us and deliveries are supposed to be this year. Everything I can find says these tanks have the full-fat Chobham armor with DU inserts. I think there's a newer, even better DU armor that has additional layers of graphite or something, and the ones going to Poland probably don't have the Trophy APS (Since Israel would have to agree to it)? But in any case, there are a good number of modern Abrams tanks already earmarked for shipment very near Russia's doorstep. Also we offered to give Greece 400 M1A1's for free like 10 years ago and nobody knows if they took them or not :shrug:

ZombieLenin posted:

Even ignoring the DU, this is wrong. Export variants have composite armor, likely with glass or ceramic and steel sandwiched elements (exactly what it is isn't public, but it's not just steel).

KillHour fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 4, 2022

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
An interesting tidbit from today's ISW assessment:

ISW Assessment posted:

The Ukrainian General Staff reported on April 3 that Russian soldiers are resisting and in some cases refusing orders to enter or re-enter the war effort. The General Staff asserted that the two battalion tactical groups (BTGs) that moved from South Ossetia toward Donbas less than a week ago refused to fight and that plans to move them back to South Ossetia are in train.[1] The General Staff claimed that about 25 soldiers of the Russian 31st Separate Airborne Brigade refused orders to re-enter combat citing excessive losses.[2] The General Staff also asserted that commanders at various echelons in the Russian 3rd Motorized Rifle Division have refused to participate in combat operations.[3] We have no independent verification of these reports, but they are credible in light of the losses Russian forces have suffered and of independent reports of Russian soldiers killing commanders and commanders committing suicide from earlier in the conflict.

What independent reports are these? I know there was the one guy who apparently got run over by one of his tankers (though I don't know if that was ever confirmed as a deliberate act or an accident), but were there others? For sure I don't remember hearing about suicide amongst commanders, though that doesn't necessarily mean they didn't happen.

Either way, hopefully this is a sign of progressive decline in Russian morale overall that might jam up the works faster than Putin expects.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Nessus posted:

The foundational western principles of hating George Soros, oppressing gay people, and causing issues in the European Union. Perhaps he could form a personal union with Lukashenko?

Who the gently caress is that weirdo?

https://twitter.com/deonteleologist/status/1510753881839456257?s=20&t=FHhv6susQwlB8rXRaJQsxw

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Nessus posted:

well even Poland as hosed up conservative has their goverment is has been quietly walking away/quieting down with some of their insane right wing policy poo poo especially in the months leading up the invasion and now. Orban is basicaly the only dude outside russias direct sphere to support them because he is hosed up chud psycho. plus he won a 4th term. orban would sell out ukraine/europe and even Hungary if he got to be some vichy puppet.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

ZombieLenin posted:

this is absolute nonsense, nobody has used all homogenous steel armor in a series production tank since the 1970's

e: fun fact: a lot of the hype about secret ceramics and fancy alloys etc in tank armor is just red herrings. the most common modern tank armor is a composite, sure enough, but it's a composite of mundane materials - it seems to consist mostly of a multi-layer sandwich of steel and rubber plates. it's called NERA, non-explosive reactive armor. there's a bunch of osint nerds who have been staring at photos of knocked out tanks for years to come to this conclusion.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 4, 2022

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

davecrazy posted:

Who the gently caress is that weirdo?
I think he's an rear end in a top hat, OP, but you've possibly noticed how the right-wing media landscape in America passionately loves Orban for some reason -- one would think they would be more into Poland, given that I gather the PIS party is not that far off from Orban, and Poland is a larger and richer country, along with there being plenty of Polish-Americans out there.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

ZombieLenin posted:

They are not. Australian M1s have an unspecified "composite armor" and are as heavy as American M1s. Is that DU? Perhaps not, but we sure didn't sell them shitboxes with 100% steel armor.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Nessus posted:

The irony of course is that Orban's early political career was funded by Soros.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

E. Revenant posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SVHvqPMDdg&t=608s

"There is no need to provide food for children.. for Bucha anymore, because all children in Bucha were shot dead."

Yeah, yeah early reports not always accurate but this is really sounding worse and worse to the point if only a quarter of what is said now is backed up then it's just going to be reprehensible.

It's a genocide, people, and it's time that we really start acknowledging that.

I saw a picture on twitter earlier that showed this. Some kid, couldn't be more than maybe six or seven had been stripped naked save for the white armband tied what appeared to have been very tightly around his throat. What I can only assume was his family were around his corpse, shot dead, having been piled into the room with him. loving horrifying.

I didn't notice what killed him. At the very least, it didn't seem like a bullet. So I assume he was deliberately strangled to death with the armband that he and the others were forced to wear while his family was shot. Which is generally a slow and very painful way to go if the person doesn't know what they're doing. So yeah.

Looks like they were trying to either kill as many people as possible on exit or remove fighting fit men out of some fascistic idea that only men will fight back at first glance. But as time goes on more and more evidence is coming out that they were straight up raping and pillaging so it probably runs deeper than that.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 4, 2022

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

TheFluff posted:

this is absolute nonsense, nobody has used all homogenous steel armor in a series production tank since the 1970's

e: fun fact: a lot of the hype about secret ceramics and fancy alloys etc in tank armor is just red herrings. the most common modern tank armor is a composite, sure enough, but it's a composite of mundane materials - it seems to consist mostly of a multi-layer sandwich of steel and rubber plates. it's called NERA, non-explosive reactive armor. there's a bunch of osint nerds who have been staring at photos of knocked out tanks for years to come to this conclusion.

Nobody expects it to be made of unobtanium. The secret is in all the expensive AF testing that goes into figuring out some specific rubber or whatever is the right thing to sandwich in between steel plates. Rubber makes sense because it gives the expanding gasses somewhere to go into instead of the hard steel. I know that early composite designs had air pockets for this and someone probably figured that rubber was just as good but also probably had some other nice properties that wasn't just empty space. I imagine you probably also have carbon reinforced composite plastics and possibly ceramic plates, although ceramic tends to be a one-and-done kind of thing since it's the cracking that absorbs the impact.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Sounds like various world leaders are starting to react to the reports out of liberated areas. Macron is very mad, and other folks are starting to weigh in now that it's patently indefensible to maintain a sense of neutrality. Germany might even be considering some form of ban on Russian imports. Their defense minister said today that Europe should consider it.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Oh no! A ban on imports, you say?!

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Kaal posted:

Sounds like various world leaders are starting to react to the reports out of liberated areas. Macron is very mad, and other folks are starting to weigh in now that it's patently indefensible to maintain a sense of neutrality. Germany might even be considering some form of ban on Russian imports. Their defense minister said today that Europe should consider it.

Next their imports minister will say they should export some military hardware.

.... Whatever happened to those D-30s from Estonia(?) that Germny was blocking handing over of?

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

OctaMurk posted:

They are not. Australian M1s have an unspecified "composite armor" and are as heavy as American M1s. Is that DU? Perhaps not, but we sure didn't sell them shitboxes with 100% steel armor.

I could see the Australian M1's having some of the "secret" tech since they are only ever going to be deployed as part of US adventures and the odds of them being involved in warfare on the Australian mainland are ludicrously remote. They were still a silly purchase but glad Ukraine can use our Bushmasters.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

What are the troops doing now I wonder. On both sides. Site like dead quiet Intel wise. We do know the Ukrainians repelled an attack on a north village near the JFO. Otherwise where are troops repositioning?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

SlowBloke posted:

They sure end people, their culture and their livelihoods.

sort of
an actual people-ending/culture-ending genocide is very hard to do today
they're also unfortunately excellent excuses for a new genocide done by the people who remain from the previous one against the perpetrators of the previous one

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

What are the troops doing now I wonder. On both sides. Site like dead quiet Intel wise. We do know the Ukrainians repelled an attack on a north village near the JFO. Otherwise where are troops repositioning?

When Russia was making advances, western intelligence was broadcasting it all over the internet to take the wind out of their sails. Now that they're on the back foot and Ukraine is advancing, it's kept hush to take advantage of the chaos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Nessus posted:

I think he's an rear end in a top hat, OP, but you've possibly noticed how the right-wing media landscape in America passionately loves Orban for some reason -- one would think they would be more into Poland, given that I gather the PIS party is not that far off from Orban, and Poland is a larger and richer country, along with there being plenty of Polish-Americans out there.

Well yeah, but who the gently caress is he?

Any right wing weirdo can get a checkmark by calling themselves a journalist and spouting dog whistle antisemitism?