Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

nwin posted:

Any ideas if induction stoves also whine? My duxtop stand alone burner definitely whines a ton, but I’m in the market for a new stove and it’s gotta be electric.

yeah I can hear my induction range especially at the start as other people are mentioning. I don’t know if it goes away or you just get used to it, it’s a low hum for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

What's the recommended immersion blenders? I guess a medium end and a high end option

mystes
May 31, 2006

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

What's the recommended immersion blenders? I guess a medium end and a high end option
If the end is too high you might get splattering

Seriously though I think immersion blenders are something where you probably don't need to seek out a high end one and anything is fine. I have a random lovely amazon basics (I think) one and it's been working fine for several years now.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Yeah I’ve had a basic Braun 200 watt model that’s lasted 15 years no problems.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Cool I definitely love to hear that. Thanks.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a Cuisinart. It’s great too. It’s simple enough that I doubt the brand matters too much.

If you want a high end option I think Robot Coupe makes them.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
i have a bamix its good

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I’ve had a Bamix for 15 years that seems brand new.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Does anyone have any opinions on the KitchenAid artisan mini Stand mixer? I've got limited counter top space and generally only am going to be baking for two, maybe four sometimes. It seems like a good compromise for space but I'm not sure if it's worth it

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Kwolok posted:

Does anyone have any opinions on the KitchenAid artisan mini Stand mixer? I've got limited counter top space and generally only am going to be baking for two, maybe four sometimes. It seems like a good compromise for space but I'm not sure if it's worth it

What do you need it for? The planetary gear on ours went out because of using it for cookie dough and bread dough. So if you are planning on making those then get a beefier model.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The minis are weaker per dollar, don’t bother

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
So just the artisan then? I guess my concern is, sometimes I want to make smaller batches of baked goods, and I know the bigger models require a higher minimum batch to mix well. I'm mostly planning on breads and stuff.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Kwolok posted:

So just the artisan then? I guess my concern is, sometimes I want to make smaller batches of baked goods, and I know the bigger models require a higher minimum batch to mix well. I'm mostly planning on breads and stuff.

I've been very happy with my Nutrimill Artiste which is like the baby version of the Bosch. They're a lot better for bread IME but if you plan on doing tiny batches of cookies it may not work

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Kwolok posted:

you can buy smaller bowls i think?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Kwolok posted:

Are you using the stock mixing paddle that came with it? If so maybe getting a Beater Blade might help with smaller batches since it can touch the bottom of the bowl. I haven’t tested to make sure tho

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
You can also adjust the clearance from the head to the bottom of the bowl, which should help incorporate everything with smaller batches.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Does anyone have ice cream maker suggestions? Up until now I've been using an ancient Rival brand ice cream maker that I inherited, but the electric motor has finally given up the ghost and I'm looking for a replacement. Price isn't an object, and I'm not fussy about aesthetics, so really focused on the quality of the ice cream, easy maintenance, and good reliability.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Does anyone have ice cream maker suggestions? Up until now I've been using an ancient Rival brand ice cream maker that I inherited, but the electric motor has finally given up the ghost and I'm looking for a replacement. Price isn't an object, and I'm not fussy about aesthetics, so really focused on the quality of the ice cream, easy maintenance, and good reliability.

ninja creami is a budget-priced pacojet and is the best ice cream maker i've ever owned, i threw a peanut butter banana protein shake in it the other day and even that low sugar semi-healthy mixture has better texture than some commercial ice creams i've bought

long term reliability is ??????? because it's basically a new product, but ease of use, maintenance, preparation, and quality of the final product are all fantastic

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

eke out posted:

ninja creami is a budget-priced pacojet and is the best ice cream maker i've ever owned, i threw a peanut butter banana protein shake in it the other day and even that low sugar semi-healthy mixture has better texture than some commercial ice creams i've bought

long term reliability is ??????? because it's basically a new product, but ease of use, maintenance, preparation, and quality of the final product are all fantastic

$200 is a lot to call "budget" (for a pacojet I guess). I think i got my Cuisinart machine for like $25 and it works just fine.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Nephzinho posted:

$200 is a lot to call "budget" (for a pacojet I guess). I think i got my Cuisinart machine for like $25 and it works just fine.

that is literally what i meant, it is the same concept as a pacojet but it costs $200 instead of $4000

i've owned quite a few just fine cheapo ice cream makers and they suck bad by comparison. i've never had a condenser ice cream maker to compare it to, but those tend to cost more than 200

eke out fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 3, 2022

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

eke out posted:

that is literally what i meant, it is the same concept as a pacojet but it costs $200 instead of $4000

i've owned quite a few just fine cheapo ice cream makers and they suck bad by comparison

Full disclosure, I would totally own one of those ninji things if I had the space for more appliances.

Also just saw that they said price isn't an object, so yeah go nuts with the shiny $200 toy. I'd love to know if that motor stands up to regular use.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
There are things where the barrier to competence just makes it not worth it. Like pizza for me is easy and cheap to get good pizza (live in CT) so why would I buy an Ooni and all the stuff to make good pizza? Ice cream seems similar except that applies to... everywhere? Is there a section of our country where it's hard to get? Genuine question, but my initial impression is no.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I've got a many-years-old Cuisinart compressor-based machine and it's been... fine, I guess. It's loud, and if I leave my mix in the fridge too long before putting it in the machine, it ends up over-churned and buttery.

It's easy to get ice cream and I still buy it often, but I also like being able to make chocolate ice cream with exactly the level of chocolate that suits me, or enjoy the vanilla flavor you get when you scrape the pulp out of the bean on Saturday and serve the ice cream on Sunday.

Edit: also, it's easy to portion out half-cup servings with homemade ice cream. When they're available at the store at all, they are not economical.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah it's fun to be able to mess with stuff and try new things or use up leftovers (or fresh fruit! as strawberry season is now where i live) in a different way than usual. i can buy many types of bread at the store yet i also make it at home because it's enjoyable to do and tastes good.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It's more that you get to do your own flavors however you want. Like I love a good breakfast pizza, or white pizza but without!!! too much ricotta, and that's super hard to find. For ice cream, you can do whatever you can think of: ginger, apple cider, coffee & donuts, chai, vanilla black pepper, eggnog, Dole whip with a swirl of graham cracker crust, Mexican chocolate with dulce de leche, whatever. You can also do healthier options like swapping half the sugar for liquid sucralose/stevia/etc., or using alternative milks.

I do Philadelphia-style (no eggs, no custard) so it's super easy, basically just dump it in. I also have this lil guy, which makes a pint at a time (there's just one of me), BUT is self-freezing, so if you keep refilling it for a party, it can produce more than a bigger maker with a separate canister.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 3, 2022

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
I mean, I guess it comes down to the same reason you generally cook at home rather than buy something at the store or go to a restaurant. It's fun, with practice and the right ingredients you can turn out better than average products (maybe even much better than average), and if you do it consistently over a long period of time it can maybe even save you a little money.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Cooking at home should save you hella money if you aren't doing it wrong or intentionally buying really expensive ingredients.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
In general yes, but for specialty stuff it depends on the details. We definitely have people who've spent thousands on backyard pizza ovens. It's possible to break even, but that's a lot of amortizing. For ice cream, making my own means starting with $4-5 of heavy cream before even factoring in other ingredients. It ends up cheaper than like Van Leeuwen's at $9-10 a pint, but can't compete with Friendly's ice cream on sale at $3 for a quart.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Hey no judgement, that's just the reasoning I use. If I can't beat a restaurant I don't try! Pretty much the same reason I never order pasta at an Italian restaurant.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

After making my own for years, I can't enjoy even $5/qt ice cream anymore. The various things they add to avoid ice crystal formation change the texture too much.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Cooking at home should save you hella money if you aren't doing it wrong or intentionally buying really expensive ingredients.

I meant maybe save you a little money with ice cream specifically, the per batch savings aren't huge and it's not something that has the same economy of scale everyday meal prepping does.

eke out posted:

This seems kind of neat, but it seems like it might be hard if I wanted to make a big batch of 2-3 quarts. Is it actually easy to make large amounts of product with the Ninja?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

looks like it has a one pint capacity, but includes three containers

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah you could buy more pint containers, but it excels at doing a pint or two at a time not half a gallon+

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Can anyone recommend a good wireless thermometer? Ideally, one that can be (re)calibrated by the user? I've been using a Thermopro TP07 for the past two years and lately I've found that it's off. Like, it reads 225°F when my regular thermometer shows 209°F. I've read the manual and there's no way to recalibrate it, so I think I need to replace it. The manual also mentions that it wasn't waterproof and I definitely used mine in the rain right before it started reading inaccurately. So I'm looking for a wireless, waterproof thermometer. Suggestions would be appreciated.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Thermoworks has a few options that might meet your needs. Thermoworks is the company thermopro is pretending to be. Fireboard is also reputable. Only one wireless option.

Both expect $200 solutions.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Thank you I'll check them out. I'd rather spend $200 once than $40 again and again.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Pastry cutters! I know I don't need to spend a bajillion dollars on one, but also don't want a flimsy cheapo that'll fall apart if I look at it funny. Anyone got a brand recommendation?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Pastry cutters! I know I don't need to spend a bajillion dollars on one, but also don't want a flimsy cheapo that'll fall apart if I look at it funny. Anyone got a brand recommendation?

The oxo good grips one feels like a tank, but feels good in the hand. It feels like it'll last a century. $15

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
Misen currently has baking steels on sale for half off if anyone is interested (I'm assuming gigantic plates of steel is hard to gently caress up)

https://misen.com/collections/supply-chain-sale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Oh yea, I get emails for these promotions but its the first time I've gotten one while bookmarking this thread

https://homeandcooksales.com/

Two days left on the sale. I can personally vouch for the SS BD5 12 inch skillet. It is my favorite pan. Took some getting used to how to use stainless properly but now that I can I'll never go back to anodized aluminum.