Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

DariusLikewise posted:

money can be exchanged for goods and services

explain how

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

RBC posted:

explain how

You fool! 20 dollars could buy many peanuts!

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

RBC posted:

explain how

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GFzIjYJVPI

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Awful app is acting weird so I can't find who it was. But sorry for the overreaction to that joke

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

the kelsey grammer's career is also cursed.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Canada's citizenship process is a problematic piece of political theatre. Here's why I did it anyway: In the end, I did the Canadian thing, I used my privilege to benefit and protect myself

*a bunch of stuff that's mostly not wrong*

- Callum Wratten is a Toronto-based writer whose work has appeared in McSweeney's, The Beaverton, and this very website.

Expert job here riling up the comments section so hundreds of people can tell you to gently caress off back to Oz.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

eXXon posted:

Canada's citizenship process is a problematic piece of political theatre. Here's why I did it anyway: In the end, I did the Canadian thing, I used my privilege to benefit and protect myself

*a bunch of stuff that's mostly not wrong*

- Callum Wratten is a Toronto-based writer whose work has appeared in McSweeney's, The Beaverton, and this very website.

Expert job here riling up the comments section so hundreds of people can tell you to gently caress off back to Oz.

Foreigners harvest our crops, tend to our livestock, look after our children, and even write our middling satire. When will we cut them a break?

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

I’m honestly thinking we should have a total ban on immigration for a year so we can catch up on building enough housing. Most new Canadians gravitate to one of a handful of urban centres, all with appalling housing prospects. The current sentiment seems to be that “if they’re dumb enough to come here, they can sleep 8 to a bed in a Brampton basement with a hot plate” which is inhumane and leads to the high suicide rates we’re seeing in some immigrant and student VISA communities.

Of course, if we did pause immigration to fix our housing crisis, we would probably go on building overpriced condos that investment bankers buy 10 of and let sit unoccupied so I guess the real answer is: lol nothing matters

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i don't think you can draw a line between immigration and housing prices like that. you can stop immigration, it won't do poo poo for the cost of housing because the cost of housing is being driven by a speculative investment bubble, not in relation to actual demand.

it's unlikely there's even a real shortage of housing. there's a real shortage of affordable housing, and that is entirely thanks to the market model, and people using housing to extract profit.

as you've already identified, building more houses doesn't actually solve that problem. it hasn't for the last 30 years, and it isn't about to now.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The solution is to nationalize housing and provide it to everyone as a human right, not to restrict the human rights of immigrants. We don't have a housing supply problem or a housing demand problem, we have a housing speculation problem.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Pretty sure there is enough housing stock for everyone in Canada already built in Canada. its just a question of distributing resources properly.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Too bad everybody in charge has a vested interest in propping up the bubble.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

vyelkin posted:

The solution is to nationalize housing and provide it to everyone as a human right, not to restrict the human rights of immigrants. We don't have a housing supply problem or a housing demand problem, we have a housing speculation problem.

Suplex Liberace posted:

Pretty sure there is enough housing stock for everyone in Canada already built in Canada. its just a question of distributing resources properly.

i will have you know that the free market is the most efficient method of distributing resources, despite all available evidence to the contrary

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

vyelkin posted:

I think we do have a supply problem, but I’m not sure what’s causing it, notably in the GTA. There’s been a shortage of rental housing for quite some time. There are new developments in my area that get snapped up immediately, but whether they’re getting purchased by private buyers or by numbered companies in bulk is a big question.

I agree we definitely have a speculative bubble though, and a very high demand for housing (as seen by high purchase rates). And while I agree nationalising housing is the ultimate solution - even a hybrid model like Austria’s rental flats - I don’t think that will happen in my lifetime. In the meantime, something needs to be done to address the crisis.

My assumption that immigration is leading to an increased demand for already scarce housing may be wrong though. I’m sure there are other ways to tackle this. None of the big parties want to touch immigration, and I’m sure touching housing is just as out of the question.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

a primate posted:

I think we do have a supply problem, but I’m not sure what’s causing it, notably in the GTA. There’s been a shortage of rental housing for quite some time. There are new developments in my area that get snapped up immediately, but whether they’re getting purchased by private buyers or by numbered companies in bulk is a big question.

I agree we definitely have a speculative bubble though, and a very high demand for housing (as seen by high purchase rates). And while I agree nationalising housing is the ultimate solution - even a hybrid model like Austria’s rental flats - I don’t think that will happen in my lifetime. In the meantime, something needs to be done to address the crisis.

My assumption that immigration is leading to an increased demand for already scarce housing may be wrong though. I’m sure there are other ways to tackle this. None of the big parties want to touch immigration, and I’m sure touching housing is just as out of the question.

I found your problem. There absolutely is not a shortage of housing, the problem is that you have individuals and corporations that buy up housing at above-market rates (which drives up the cost of other properties because "obviously" the house prices are too low) and proceed to rent it out for 3-4x what a mortgage for the same property would be be, while also making the rentee pay for all utilities, giving the individual/corporation even more money to buy even more houses, all while bemoaning to the media that no one wants to live in their overpriced rental units, of which they "only" have 30,000. Building more houses won't fix the fundamental issue here.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Yes, the "supply" problem is that much of what is added to housing supply is gobbled up by speculators and landlord corporations that charge sky-high rents to pay for the debt they have taken on by buying homes at above-market rates. Adding more supply does nothing as long as that supply continues being purchased by speculators who then charge sky-high rents to cover the sky-high mortgages they took on to buy the homes, because the people who are currently renting cannot afford to stop renting and do not have the base capital to compete with the large speculators when it comes to purchasing overpriced housing.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Somebody posted this before but

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

vyelkin posted:

Yes, the "supply" problem is that much of what is added to housing supply is gobbled up by speculators and landlord corporations that charge sky-high rents to pay for the debt they have taken on by buying homes at above-market rates. Adding more supply does nothing as long as that supply continues being purchased by speculators who then charge sky-high rents to cover the sky-high mortgages they took on to buy the homes, because the people who are currently renting cannot afford to stop renting and do not have the base capital to compete with the large speculators when it comes to purchasing overpriced housing.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

a primate posted:

I’m honestly thinking we should have a total ban on immigration for a year so we can catch up on building enough housing. Most new Canadians gravitate to one of a handful of urban centres, all with appalling housing prospects. The current sentiment seems to be that “if they’re dumb enough to come here, they can sleep 8 to a bed in a Brampton basement with a hot plate” which is inhumane and leads to the high suicide rates we’re seeing in some immigrant and student VISA communities.

Of course, if we did pause immigration to fix our housing crisis, we would probably go on building overpriced condos that investment bankers buy 10 of and let sit unoccupied so I guess the real answer is: lol nothing matters

a primate posted:

congrats on internalizing tory talking points

as others have pointed out, we do not have a supply issue, we have an affordability issue.

(as of just before covid) roughly three quarters of the population lives in a dwelling owned by a member of the household. this rate plummets for bipoc, recent immigrants, the 2slgbtqia population, and those who have experienced homelessness

canada has enshrined the right to “adequate housing” as a fundamental human right in federal law; they’re just not adequately fulfilling that obligation

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

a primate posted:

the supply of rental units was absolutely decimated by the advent of airbnb short term rental platforms, as evidenced by the sudden glut of rentals and commensurate decrease in average rent prices at the beginning of the pandemic when travel restrictions completely cratered the airbnb market.

these are market problems that can be effectively solved with proper regulation, if anyone had an interest in regulating things to solve the problems.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

infernal machines posted:

the supply of rental units was absolutely decimated by the advent of airbnb short term rental platforms, as evidenced by the sudden glut of rentals and commensurate decrease in average rent prices at the beginning of the pandemic when travel restrictions completely cratered the airbnb market.

these are market problems that can be effectively solved with proper regulation, if anyone had an interest in regulating things to solve the problems.

exactly, it’s wild that we just flagrantly let people flout even the pre-existing leg on renting let alone actually work to make it better

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

there are companies that still advertise what are essentially illegal "ghost hotel" management services for airbnb rentiers in toronto

don't nobody give a gently caress, but if you want to know where your rental supply is going in this housing crisis, that'd be a good place to start.

blaming immigration and demanding more supply side solutions are absolute nonsense

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

to further break it down, if you can make as much in a week on airbnb as you could in a month to a long term renter, without any of the legal obligations long term rentals involve, you will do that 100% of the time, and you will let the unit sit empty for three weeks a month if you have to, because you still won't be losing money, and you won't have to deal with rent control, eviction regulations, or the LTB.

when that opportunity was removed due to travel restrictions and the new regulations on airbnb there were dozens of articles from the Toronto Life set crying about how they'd leveraged themselves to the tits to build a rental empire and they were suddenly going to have to ~*shudder*~ take on long term tenants or ~*gasp*~ sell the properties they couldn't afford to let lie fallow until the market recovered.

this is where your housing supply has gone, and this is why average rents have gone through the stratosphere in the last five years. rental aggregator sites that report "average rent" frequently include weekly/nightly rates for airbnb units in their calculation, completely skewing the true value and prompting landlords to raise rents on new tenancies to meet the reported average

infernal machines has issued a correction as of 16:56 on Apr 5, 2022

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Turns out supply and demand is a fairy tale concept, since the supply side can be turned into whatever fucks over the demand side the most!

Free market baybeeee

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i helped a neighbour that’s moving to pei fix his fence this week and after we were finished he drops the bomb that he’s a landlord that rents the other house out by rooms because otherwise “renters have way too many rights”

lol i was so pissed

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Welp, mao was right I guess

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

a primate posted:

congrats on being a big baby piece of poo poo

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

drat horror queefs posted:

:suicide:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

a primate posted:

Welp, mao was right I guess

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

infernal machines posted:

to further break it down, if you can make as much in a week on airbnb as you could in a month to a long term renter, without any of the legal obligations long term rentals involve, you will do that 100% of the time, and you will let the unit sit empty for three weeks a month if you have to, because you still won't be losing money, and you won't have to deal with rent control, eviction regulations, or the LTB.

when that opportunity was removed due to travel restrictions and the new regulations on airbnb there were dozens of articles from the Toronto Life set crying about how they'd leveraged themselves to the tits to build a rental empire and they were suddenly going to have to ~*shudder*~ take on long term tenants or ~*gasp*~ sell the properties they couldn't afford to let lie fallow until the market recovered.

this is where your housing supply has gone, and this is why average rents have gone through the stratosphere in the last five years. rental aggregator sites that report "average rent" frequently include weekly/nightly rates for airbnb units in their calculation, completely skewing the true value and prompting landlords to raise rents on new tenancies to meet the reported average

yes, exactly. all my pals telling me that they're going on vacation and staying in airbnbs, but at the same time bitching about housing prices - like, well, no wonder, since a good chunk of the available housing stock has been turned into unregulated rental stock.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

mediaphage posted:

i helped a neighbour that’s moving to pei fix his fence this week and after we were finished he drops the bomb that he’s a landlord that rents the other house out by rooms because otherwise “renters have way too many rights”

lol i was so pissed

that guy's probably a mod on r/winnipeg

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

DariusLikewise posted:

congrats on being a big baby piece of poo poo

thank u

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Karach posted:

that guy's probably a mod on r/winnipeg

r/winnipeg is pretty left leaning

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Vintersorg posted:

r/winnipeg is pretty left leaning

I think I would characterize r/winnipeg as being a centrist hellhole. They like to make a lot of left-sounding noises, but ultimately most of the posters there believe in the goodness of Democracy, Capitalism, and Fair Play. any leftist sentiments are expressed through that filter. like, if I'm a leftist, there definitely aren't "good" landlords and "bad" landlords, there are just empty walls waiting for people to go up against them:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Winnipeg/comments/rxif3y/the_ultimate_guide_to_tenants_insurance_in/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Yeah, while it's not as bad as, say r/Canada, it's still very anti-left. Just look at how many people blamed the NDP for the Fort Whyte election (a historically strong Conservative area) going to the Con candidate. The margins between the Con and Lib candidate were narrow enough that literally any other party's vote would have been enough to tip it in either direction, but sure, blame the NDP and not the Green party or the anti-mask nutcase.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

drat horror queefs posted:

Yeah. We need to build more affordable housing and "socialize" the housing we do have, if you catch my drift.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Canada relaxes temporary foreign worker program rules to address labour shortages:
Canadian food services employers will be able to hire up to 30% of their workforce through the TFWP, and other changes coming for temporary foreign workers.

quote:

In addition to these measures, the Seasonal Cap Exemption, which has been in place since 2015, will become permanent. There will no longer be a limit to the number of low-wage positions that employers in seasonal industries can fill through the TFWP. The maximum duration of these positions will be increased from 180 days to 270 days per year.

quote:

Employers of sectors with demonstrated labour shortages will be allowed to hire up to 30% of their workforce through the TFWP for low-wage positions for one year. The seven eligible sectors include: food manufacturing, wood product manufacturing, furniture and related product manufacturing, accommodation and food services, construction, hospitals, and nursing and residential care facilities. All other employers will be allowed to hire up to 20% of their workforce through the TFW Program for low-wage positions until further notice, an increase from the former 10% cap for many employers.

quote:

Finally, Canada will end the current policy that automatically refuses LMIA applications for low-wage occupations in the accommodation and food services and retail trade sectors in regions with an unemployment rate of 6% or higher.

Federal government has decided the best move is going HAM on the use of pseudo-slave labor for a top down wage suppression policy here in Canada. I’m sure this will end well, and not fuel the right-wing chud hoards which just took over Parliament Hill for a month.

Any criticism of this will, of course, be reflexively labelled as racist by friendly enlightened “Liberals” - who learned nothing from the socioeconomic conditions which created Trump administration to our south.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

also regarding immigration -- my wife and I tried "inland application", which is where you apply for residence from inside canada. plenty of people do this because as you can imagine having to live away from your country or separated from your spouse/family for as long as immigration takes is inhumane. this is completely legitimate, you can even fly into canada without a visa and tell immigration "i came to live here forever with my spouse" (provided you can prove that and you promise to leave if your application is denied)

so we were already living in canada legally, taking up real estate and using up health care, the only difference is because the IRCC is slow as molasses and took nine months to issue any documentation whatsoever, my wife wasn't allowed to do anything like work, drive*, open a bank account with someone other than TD, file her taxes without an exemption letter from service canada so that i could include her on my taxes, actually get health care on a timely basis (we had to pay a few hospital fees out of pocket, and hoo, our health care system is almost as bad as the US! it's just bandaged over by having a public insurer, but god help you if you don't have that.)

* ok "legally" she could drive, she had IDL + 10 years experience + clean record, but because she was considered a non-resident, having her on my insurance as even a secondary driver would have cost lmao. literally, the insurance provider wouldn't even give me a quote, he just laughed and said you don't want that. which is pretty fuckin racist if you ask me. my dumb rear end hadn't even been behind the wheel in 5 years and i was somehow able to walk into icbc, trade my expired out of province learner's for a new full license without a test, and immediately drive a car off the lot down the wrong lane :shrug:

anyway, my point is, our immigration sucks. improving it isn't going to bring an influx of immigrants into canada, it's going to allow the ones that are already here (legally!) to actually live normally

fisting by many has issued a correction as of 02:14 on Apr 6, 2022

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

fisting by many posted:

also regarding immigration -- my wife and I tried "inland application", which is where you apply for residence from inside canada. plenty of people do this because as you can imagine having to live away from your country or separated from your spouse/family for as long as immigration takes is inhumane. this is completely legitimate, you can even fly into canada without a visa and tell immigration "i came to live here forever with my spouse" (provided you can prove that and you promise to leave if your application is denied)

so we were already living in canada legally, taking up real estate and using up health care, the only difference is because the IRCC is slow as molasses and took nine months to issue any documentation whatsoever, my wife wasn't allowed to do anything like work, drive*, open a bank account with someone other than TD, file her taxes without an exemption letter from service canada so that i could include her on my taxes, actually get health care on a timely basis (we had to pay a few hospital fees out of pocket, and hoo, our health care system is almost as bad as the US! it's just bandaged over by having a public insurer, but god help you if you don't have that.)

* ok "legally" she could drive, she had IDL + 10 years experience + clean record, but because she was considered a non-resident, having her on my insurance as even a secondary driver would have cost lmao. literally, the insurance provider wouldn't even give me a quote, he just laughed and said you don't want that. which is pretty fuckin racist if you ask me. my dumb rear end hadn't even been behind the wheel in 5 years and i was somehow able to walk into icbc, trade my expired out of province learner's for a new full license without a test, and immediately drive a car off the lot down the wrong lane :shrug:

lmao i did this and it took years (also pricey as you well know)

in part because it wasn't obvious that i, a middle-aged man, needed to put the locations and addresses of my (mostly dead) parents on my form so after making it a good way through the process they returned everything and said lol you're missing information and i had to start over

i recently got my pr (got to take my own picture for it lol) and now i get to figure out how to find a job with a big multi-year gap on my resume

hurray

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
We're dealing with an inland application as well, and thank loving God we have access to a lawyer who is willing to do the heavy lifting. 6500 well spent to avoid the nightmare stories I've heard.