Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Blooster posted:

There's that many Rokus and Apple TVs out there?

Rokus and fire sticks, yeah. And definitely a bunch of apple TVs (which I wouldn't suggest for Plex if that's your primary purpose). But Rokus/Fire Sticks are cheap and just work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

For the money the fire sticks are perfectly fine, but I think switching my Apple TV out for one would drive me insane in a matter of days.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I have AppleTVs on my TVs but a Fire Stick in the garage and it’s the most miserable piece of electronics I own.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The FireTV UI is god awful. I only recommend it if you can get it super cheap, otherwise Roku is the superior budget option. I should prolly overhaul the recommended devices section in the OP again; been a couple years.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Does Roku support Amazon prime video?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That Works posted:

Does Roku support Amazon prime video?

yep

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Guess ignoring plex updates is paying off.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Elephanthead posted:

Guess ignoring plex updates is paying off.

Docker wins again

Also Apple TV has given me very few issues. Anything is up and I swap to infuse. Best client available, I’ll never use Roku or fire tv again.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I've been using the new Chromecast that runs android. It was pretty easy to replace the stock ad-heavy launcher with FLauncher, which stays out of the way well.

Amazon makes it essentially impossible to replace the launcher.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

cruft posted:

Their tablets are heavily locked down as well. Probably why no one wants them.

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

Shield is still the only real option for people who want ATMOS sound without any muss or fuss correct? I think appleTV can handle it with infuse but if I want to stay using plex apps it’s pretty much Shield or nothing,right?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

The new xbox does Atmos as well

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

the LG WebOS plex client on my B8 TV rarely gets updates but it never really has issues either.

my ReadyNAS (ARM) server runs the plex server for ReadyNAS and that, despite being ancient, still gets regular updates - every time i log into the server it has a new version available for download.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Bonzo posted:

Their tablets are heavily locked down as well. Probably why no one wants them.

Pretty sure the Kindle Fire tablets sell like crazy?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

It's also really painless to get the Play Store onto one now; you just have to download some APKs and install them in a certain order. That's it, lol. My Fire HD 10 2019 model is actually pretty decent, and works perfectly as a way to read/watch content.

[edit] vvv Yeah, they're also cheap as gently caress.

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 4, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Pretty sure the Kindle Fire tablets sell like crazy?

I mean they're usually like £50 because all Amazon hardware is super cheap so they can get that Alexa data, have to imagine they sell a fair amount even if they only ever get used as a Kindle.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

cruft posted:

I've been using the new Chromecast that runs android. It was pretty easy to replace the stock ad-heavy launcher with FLauncher, which stays out of the way well.

This is the Chromecast with the remote?
I need to look into the launcher I guess. The Chromecast has been great for me. I rarely used the previous ultra (?) I had but the remote version has been great. Except I think I may need that Ethernet add on. I was streaming something from plex at 12mb/s and it had multiple buffering moments on a 30min ep. Only happens on one show so far and it has subs, so might not be network. But on a quick check, it feels like the problem. The Chromecast is about 4ft from the router...

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

So I'd been using RARFlix for many years because the Plex app was always crashing/buggy. But Roku recently did that thing where they deleted every non-official channel from all devices around the world. So RARFlix was deleted forever.

So I tried the new Plex Roku app but it didn't like my Plex server version that has been 100% fine since 2015. So I upgraded Plex server to the latest. Now .mp4 files are freezing and crashing the Plex server to the point where I have to reboot the machine itself to get Internet back. :wtf:

I'll do more troubleshooting but is there some known issue with modern Plex and .mp4 files?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

deong posted:

This is the Chromecast with the remote?
I need to look into the launcher I guess. The Chromecast has been great for me. I rarely used the previous ultra (?) I had but the remote version has been great. Except I think I may need that Ethernet add on. I was streaming something from plex at 12mb/s and it had multiple buffering moments on a 30min ep. Only happens on one show so far and it has subs, so might not be network. But on a quick check, it feels like the problem. The Chromecast is about 4ft from the router...

I had a printer that wouldn't stay connected because it was too close to the router. So Ethernet may well help you, although if it's just one show having trouble my money's on codec issues.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Zogo posted:

I'll do more troubleshooting but is there some known issue with modern Plex and .mp4 files?

I think I saw something recently where the latest version of plex server has an issue and was crashing for everyone.

EDIT:

previous page of this thread, actually:

Housh posted:

Yes. It's been crashing since the latest update on Windows. There are a lot of people posting in the Plex support forum and the dev team is aware. There is a dev in the forum that will send you a private beta version, if you send him your log file. I'm just gonna wait for them to push out the stable fix.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Do any of you serving Plex from a Mac Mini do it via Linux rather than MacOS?

I've been thinking about whether it would be worth moving my i7 Intel Mac Mini to Linux for the sake of future-proofing for when Apple gives up on supporting the Intel Mini. The primary use for the Mini is PMS, so I'm trying to figure out whether it would run and transcode as flawlessly on Linux as it does on MacOS. Plus, being able to run PMS as a service without requiring login sure is nice, and as far as I can tell impossible on MacOS.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

teagone posted:

It's also really painless to get the Play Store onto one now; you just have to download some APKs and install them in a certain order. That's it, lol. My Fire HD 10 2019 model is actually pretty decent, and works perfectly as a way to read/watch content.

[edit] vvv Yeah, they're also cheap as gently caress.

TIL

I guess I'll give one a shot since I now really only use the tablets to read comics and watch video.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Bonzo posted:

TIL

I guess I'll give one a shot since I now really only use the tablets to read comics and watch video.

That's all I do with mine and have used a Fire HD8 with the google play store sideloaded onto it and its great for that. Much nicer than shelling out $x00 for another ipad that's going to obsolete itself in a few years like the last one.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Dicty Bojangles posted:

I've been thinking about whether it would be worth moving my i7 Intel Mac Mini to Linux for the sake of future-proofing for when Apple gives up on supporting the Intel Mini. The primary use for the Mini is PMS, so I'm trying to figure out whether it would run and transcode as flawlessly on Linux as it does on MacOS. Plus, being able to run PMS as a service without requiring login sure is nice, and as far as I can tell impossible on MacOS.

Nah. Runs fine and transcodes fine for me. I set everything to start at login including mounting my NAS and it’s good.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The Diddler posted:

I think I saw something recently where the latest version of plex server has an issue and was crashing for everyone.

EDIT:

previous page of this thread, actually:

Yeah, I'd read that but mine is only crashing with certain .mp4 files. I did more troubleshooting and got them to play from another machine although there's still some issue with fast forwarding on certain files. I guess I'll just play some stuff in the next few weeks and see what happens.

:ms: somewhat.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Bonzo posted:

TIL

If you're in no rush, wait for Prime Day to pick one up since that's when they're likely to get the steepest discount. I wouldn't pay full price for one since they get discounted often.

My HD 10 is a great way to watch stuff from my Plex server and other streaming services.

[edit] I should note, I can't really complain about my HD 10 because Amazon essentially paid me to have it, lmao. I traded in an old Fire tablet I had for a small discount, plus had some promo credits, and got the tablet for like $15 from what I remember, but then Amazon support sent me a $30 gift code because the first two Fire HD 10s I received had defective screens.

teagone fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 5, 2022

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Dicty Bojangles posted:

I used to run Linux on Macs all the time. It's fine.

Dunno how Plex is going to do, kinda depends on how well their compile of ffmpeg is going to handle whatever hardware you have. If you're using decoders that support lots of stuff (newer Chromecast and Fire stick come to mind) then you won't need to transcode and it won't matter.

In any case it seems to me that hardware you already own is always the more economical option than hardware you don't. Assuming your time is worthless. Which is probably a safe assumption for anyone posting ITT.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

teagone posted:

If you're in no rush, wait for Prime Day to pick one up since that's when they're likely to get the steepest discount. I wouldn't pay full price for one since they get discounted often.

This is how I picked up a bunch of them for use as home automation tablets. They haven't had internet access in forever.....I just needed a single app that I could sideload (https://www.fully-kiosk.com/) to be a captive web browser and all is well. Why spend the money on an ipad or even an unrestricted android tablet? If you're willing and able to put in a little bit of computer janitoring these work just fine and are the cheapest you'll get for the reasonable quality that they are.

reformedpoosmearer
Nov 28, 2021

Zogo posted:

So I'd been using RARFlix for many years because the Plex app was always crashing/buggy. But Roku recently did that thing where they deleted every non-official channel from all devices around the world. So RARFlix was deleted forever.

So I tried the new Plex Roku app but it didn't like my Plex server version that has been 100% fine since 2015. So I upgraded Plex server to the latest. Now .mp4 files are freezing and crashing the Plex server to the point where I have to reboot the machine itself to get Internet back. :wtf:

are you playing them locally? if not the updated server might not be direct streaming for whatever reason and trying to transcode it on the fly.

I switched to Jellyfin and I'm a pretty big fan. its similar but open source, and pretty sure theres a roku app. Its nice not having a menu full of garbage I'll never pay for or use, and not dealing with account issues.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Plex is adding stuff to find where a given movie or show is streaming. That’s nice but I’m sure folks will be mad about it.

https://9to5mac.com/2022/04/05/plex-update-discover-and-watchlist-features/

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Warbird posted:

Plex is adding stuff to find where a given movie or show is streaming. That’s nice but I’m sure folks will be mad about it.

https://9to5mac.com/2022/04/05/plex-update-discover-and-watchlist-features/

edit: beaten by a few minutes :)

I opened plex in my browser today and see they've rolled out a new feature called, Discover.

From the Plex menus you can link to other services like Disney, Netflix, Hulu, and add that content for your watch list. So I can add Moon Knight to my watch list in Plex, and when I click on an episode it launches Disney+ in a browser tab. I've yet to try this on my Android box but it would be nice to have one central watch list without having to put up with the Fire/Android TV interface.

This reminds me of Boxee back in the day which also had this feature.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Don't the browser versions of most of these apps suck though? Like capping to 720p/1080p no HD audio options etc?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I must be a lucky one because the Plex app works perfectly on my Shield TV box.

I did "hack" it or whatever so that I could customize the on screen menu but aside from that I've done nothing else and it works great. Voice control through the remote works, my non techy wife can use it just fine as well.

Sucks to read that AndroidTV is being abandoned though. Is the only option AppleTV moving forward? Or shudder, some sort of awful PC setup?

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

cruft posted:

I used to run Linux on Macs all the time. It's fine.

Dunno how Plex is going to do, kinda depends on how well their compile of ffmpeg is going to handle whatever hardware you have. If you're using decoders that support lots of stuff (newer Chromecast and Fire stick come to mind) then you won't need to transcode and it won't matter.

In any case it seems to me that hardware you already own is always the more economical option than hardware you don't. Assuming your time is worthless. Which is probably a safe assumption for anyone posting ITT.

Good points, thank you. Guess I’ll leave this project for sometime it actually matters, rather than wasting time and money fixing something that still works just fine.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I must be a lucky one because the Plex app works perfectly on my Shield TV box.

I did "hack" it or whatever so that I could customize the on screen menu but aside from that I've done nothing else and it works great. Voice control through the remote works, my non techy wife can use it just fine as well.

Sucks to read that AndroidTV is being abandoned though. Is the only option AppleTV moving forward? Or shudder, some sort of awful PC setup?

Huh? Is Plex dropping AndroidTV or is Google?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Google is, or rather has. I doubt Plex is going to stop working on it since it's still functionally Android.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
This new discover feature is absolutely not ready for prime time yet.
No way to add services if you didn't add them during discover setup?
That makes it unusable to people who didn't set it up the right way right off the bat

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

EricBauman posted:

This new discover feature is absolutely not ready for prime time yet.
No way to add services if you didn't add them during discover setup?
That makes it unusable to people who didn't set it up the right way right off the bat

Go to Settings and in the top menu there's a Streaming Services option where you can add/remove what you have.

e: I'm glad this exists solely for the 'Add to Watchlist' feature that I've wanted in forever and I guess it would be useful to see previews of upcoming things I've not heard about. So hey, I don't hate this.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 5, 2022

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

A feature I actually like and will use. Well intro skip has been pretty sweet. Plex righting the ship??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Yo, this new feature is badass. I'm a fan.