Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I managed to finally beat the Elden Beast...with the Carian Retaliation glitch. I'll be honest, I have no problem using summons and magic, but I do feel like that was a bit of a cheap trick. I don't think there's really a way for me to go back and do it again, cause I'm not going back and replaying the whole game for that one fight. Maybe I should just put down a summon sign and help other people until I beat it "legitimately"? I don't know, I feel a bit incorrect saying I "beat" Elden Ring at this point. Maybe I should just go back and finish Sekiro or Bloodborne.

Youcheatednotonlythegame.txt

Anyway there are plenty of broken things you can exploit. Carian Retaliation will definitely get patched out so if you ever play it on a future version to get different endings you'll wind up with a different fight.

My sorcery strategy for Elden Beast was to hit it with Rock Sling until it staggers, then run in, pop the infinite FP physick, hold down Meteorite of Astel, and pray that it dies before something kills me. Didn't work the first time since it got off an Elden Stars cast that I couldn't even see behind all the falling rocks, but the second time it fell over and I won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Weapon scaling is different for each weapon, you'll have to be more specific if you're asking for advice.
Mosty weapons do better damage with a str or dex build compared to faith or int, because the latter builds get extra spell stuff on top of their weapons. Arcane gives no damage at all unless you use Occult affinity or a weapon like Eleonora's or Rivers of Blood that has innate occult scaling.

Thank you to everyone who replied. Each was helpful but this post touches on most of the issues I need to address/deal with.

My favorite / go-to weapons when I don't need to use Halo to cheese are:

Godskin Peeler
Gargoyle Twinblade
Anrspur Rapier / Rogiers
Frozen Needler (really starting to love this, duel wielded in Right hand)
E's Polearm (not married to this, at least not until I can time to ash better)

I'm enjoying these but never got them to feel right..

Scavangere Curved Sword
Omen Cleaver
Eochad (dope Ash)

Level 128. I cheesed a bit. It sounds like I don't have enough weapons to utilize Arcane? I was making E's Polearm initially but it's very meh with the above.

All the weapons I use are +8-10.

How do I fix this?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Just had a weird glitch and was wondering if it happened to anyone else. Was fighting the Ulcerated Tree Spirit on Mt. Gelmir to get the crystla tear for my caster. The Tree Spirit did a dash attack, seemed to get stuck on the wooden spikes. It just froze mid attack and I just blasted it with glint stone shards until it died. Anyone had this happen? Not complaining, it was great since I hate fighting the tree spirits.

When I ran into the one on the way to Malenia, I was backing off to heal on one of the raised parts and it decided it could not reach me and just marched in place while I shot it with arrows and threw poo poo at it until it died

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

96 spacejam posted:

How do I fix this?

Fix what? The damage?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Tree Spirits seem especially buggy and are very prone to have their AI just bug out and stop attacking

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

repiv posted:

There was another streamer grinding Melania and eventually after respawning she just died before they even entered her arena, presumably she fell through the floor, and it counted as a win

I don't remember that being an issue in the other Souls games

I'm certain stuff like that has always happened in these games, but I think that it's definitely happening a lot more frequently in Elden Ring. Placidusax flat out had its AI short out on me when it got to the phase 2 so I never got to see his big laser show in person. He just sat there and I whacked at him until he died.

edit: maybe there's just way more people playing the game so it only feels like it's happening more, but IDK.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I figured I'd help some people with bosses as a summon since I was bored. For a benchmark, I beat Malenia in like less than a minute earlier today, so I'm in on the cheese.

That said.

Astel is the hardest boss in this game pre-Farum Azula. That fuckin star aint no joke.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

god i wish multiplayer was just a bit more stable because coop is such a blast. it's always been my favorite part of these games and the huge numbers ER's pulling are giving me a constant stream of new players in need

spent a couple hours just camped by godrick with my new shirtless pugilist character with 42 vigor, spiked caestus, and bloodflame blade. i tear the dude to shreds with bleed and usually see at least 2 staggers per fight, and my HP's high enough that i rarely ever end up leaving the host high and dry from dying to something stupid. it's nice to have a build that's strong enough to nearly always ensure a victory for the host without making it feel weightless or unearned

repiv posted:

There was another streamer grinding Melania and eventually after respawning she just died before they even entered her arena, presumably she fell through the floor, and it counted as a win

it's probably a combination of them having tweaked the physics engine to accommodate more vertical movement for players/NPCs, kinematics being changed to try and make crits more consistently able to connect, and the amount of dynamic loading/unloading they need for a huge game like this

Koholint
Jan 1, 2010

~Neck Angels~
Has anyone figured out why Godwyn is a sea monster?

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Blue Raider posted:

I figured I'd help some people with bosses as a summon since I was bored. For a benchmark, I beat Malenia in like less than a minute earlier today, so I'm in on the cheese.

That said.

Astel is the hardest boss in this game pre-Farum Azula. That fuckin star aint no joke.

Vermain posted:

god i wish multiplayer was just a bit more stable because coop is such a blast. it's always been my favorite part of these games and the huge numbers ER's pulling are giving me a constant stream of new players in need

It seems to be ok on xbox.

E: clicked the wrong button

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

SHISHKABOB posted:

Fix what? The damage?

Sorry, in general.

Should I just forget about Arcane and Faith for now and use those in Dex?

I like a bit of weapon variety so I don't want to build for a single weapon or two. Mainly twinbaldes and thrusts.

Edit: It feels like I'm not doing nearly enough dps compared to what I see here

96 spacejam fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 4, 2022

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Koholint posted:

They buried his body at the base of the Erdtree and his undying flesh has fused with it, making him some kind of freaky, thorny plant man corpse thing.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Koholint posted:

It's certainly in line with the Tibia Mariners theme. I really hope we get some DLC for this game and we get to see more stuff like the big deathroot monsters (which is what you're talking about).

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Blue Raider posted:

It seems to be ok on xbox.

it's a crapshoot on PC, though most of my recent sessions have been remarkably stable, so it might just be week 1 hype finally having died down enough for matchmaking to stop making GBS threads the bed so much

most of the difficulty nowadays comes from getting matched with people playing from the goddamn moon, which can make certain things like timing godrick's slams and doing parries on certain bosses tricky, although endure and golden parry help to smooth out a lot of rough edges

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Radagon is an anagram of “a dragon”. Discuss

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Vermain posted:

it's a crapshoot on PC, though most of my recent sessions have been remarkably stable, so it might just be week 1 hype finally having died down enough for matchmaking to stop making GBS threads the bed so much

most of the difficulty nowadays comes from getting matched with people playing from the goddamn moon, which can make certain things like timing godrick's slams and doing parries on certain bosses tricky, although endure and golden parry help to smooth out a lot of rough edges

A lot of the people I get matched with are very very gun shy. They don't use magic generally, but they let me do the heavy lifting. I don't mind really, I can face tank most mid to mid/late game bosses, but it's pretty weird having people just call in pitch hitters to do their dirty work.

It's either that or they rush in and eat poo poo immediately.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I think what's happening with Sellen at the end of her quest is self inflicted.

I think she's responsible for making all the other graven masses. It never quite worked because mashing all those brains together just makes a lump. Since the other two wizards disappear after you complete her quest, I think she figured that since their brains have been completely replaced by glintstone she could make it work this time using her own big brain and be in charge. It...KIND of worked since she can still sorta talk.

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 4, 2022

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Vermain posted:

it's probably a combination of them having tweaked the physics engine to accommodate more vertical movement for players/NPCs, kinematics being changed to try and make crits more consistently able to connect, and the amount of dynamic loading/unloading they need for a huge game like this

Maybe also floating point precision issues due to the sheer size of the world

Whatever the issue is may have been in the engine forever but you could never get far enough from the origin for it to be an issue until ER

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
On Sellen:

"Haha I'm going to overthrow Queen Renalla with my banned dark magic that Queen Renalla banned"

"Oh no I've been transformed into a hideous thing that only exists to feel pain and Queen Renalla keeps me as a trophy next to her, forever in the banned dark magic pain jail"

Not that hard to figure out.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Somewhere in Caelid I left the note "Didn't expect dead end..." not a clue where in that hell pit I left it, but it's routinely getting me appraisals.
So hey, free heals.

As for the whole Radagon and Marika relationship. There's an echo of Marika that Melina can recall for you where she calls Radagon the loyal hound of the Golden Order, and that he has yet to become her, yet to become a god. So I suppose that's why he was trying to fix the ring after she shattered it, and hell his existence could be why she broke it in the first place, the Will trying to get a 'better' god.

wyoming fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 4, 2022

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
So, like Mohg IS that puddle of blood, right? so is he basting Miquella in Mohg blood for aeons? Is he IN Miquella, running through his veins? Either way drat dude, personal bubble

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Anime Liker posted:

On Sellen:

"Haha I'm going to overthrow Queen Renalla with my banned dark magic that Queen Renalla banned"

"Oh no I've been transformed into a hideous thing that only exists to feel pain and Queen Renalla keeps me as a trophy next to her, forever in the banned dark magic pain jail"

Not that hard to figure out.

rennala’s brain is in orbit, she’s incapable of resentment or retaliation. what happened to sellen had nothing to do with her

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Oxxidation posted:

rennala’s brain is in orbit, she’s incapable of resentment or retaliation. what happened to sellen had nothing to do with her

lol ok the boss that fights you doesn't have the will to fight i guess

the suffering sounds are actually happiness lol

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

hazardousmouse posted:

So, like Mohg IS that puddle of blood, right? so is he basting Miquella in Mohg blood for aeons? Is he IN Miquella, running through his veins? Either way drat dude, personal bubble

Mohg is a champion of The Formless Mother so I would assume he's got a bunch of Formless Mother blood powers. His priests can step out of blood pools too so I think it's more like a summoning process. But yes, Mohg has no understanding of personal bubble, considering his response to Miquella saying no to his romantic overtures ended up being abducting Miquella when Miquella was in a rebirth coma and trying to modify the process to make Miquella his Divine partner in a new world order under the Formless Mother instead of the Greater Will.

The Anime Liker posted:

That's not her in the second half, Ranni is fighting you there. Either in person or with a pre-recorded clone of Rennala. Rennala herself is just the first part of that fight and fairly clearly loopy and not all there.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Anime Liker posted:

lol ok the boss that fights you doesn't have the will to fight i guess the suffering sounds are actually happiness lol

she doesn’t fight you. were you paying attention at all to the interstitial cutscene? her creepy undergrads do all the fighting in phase 1 and phase 2 is a glorified hologram conjured by Ranni

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I wish the turtle pope got an ending. He just seemed to want everyone to work together and be chill.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
It still loving tickles me that Rennala kept the dog in the divorce.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Ethiser posted:

I wish the turtle pope got an ending. He just seemed to want everyone to work together and be chill.

He would go about restoring the world, but his legs aren't what they used to be. Saving the world is a young turtle's game.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

The Anime Liker posted:

In the first phase she doesn't fight you, the reincarnated scholars are doing that. And her second phase is an illusory version made by Ranni to defend her mother

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Flytrap posted:

It still loving tickles me that Rennala kept the dog in the divorce.

Radagon on his way back to Leyndell https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnzz3_fRsJ0

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

repiv posted:

On the flipside...
https://i.imgur.com/SkoHEqP.mp4

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Lord_Magmar posted:

Mohg is a champion of The Formless Mother so I would assume he's got a bunch of Formless Mother blood powers. His priests can step out of blood pools too so I think it's more like a summoning process. But yes, Mohg has no understanding of personal bubble, considering his response to Miquella saying no to his romantic overtures ended up being abducting Miquella when Miquella was in a rebirth coma and trying to modify the process to make Miquella his Divine partner in a new world order under the Formless Mother instead of the Greater Will.

That's not her in the second half, Ranni is fighting you there. Either in person or with a pre-recorded clone of Rennala. Rennala herself is just the first part of that fight and fairly clearly loopy and not all there.

I don't believe I have read the words Formless Mother in game anywhere. What items have that lore?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Oxxidation posted:

she doesn’t fight you. were you paying attention at all to the interstitial cutscene? her creepy undergrads do all the fighting in phase 1 and phase 2 is a glorified hologram conjured by Ranni

She walks into the seat of power of a demi-god and says very clearly her intention is to overthrow that demi-god then immediately, with zero delay, gets owned so hard she's in the eternal torment configuration.

But yes, you're right, it's definitely Ranni and the academy students who did it to Sellen. Trap sprung. I rest my case your honor.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I managed to finally beat the Elden Beast...with the Carian Retaliation glitch. I'll be honest, I have no problem using summons and magic, but I do feel like that was a bit of a cheap trick. I don't think there's really a way for me to go back and do it again, cause I'm not going back and replaying the whole game for that one fight. Maybe I should just put down a summon sign and help other people until I beat it "legitimately"? I don't know, I feel a bit incorrect saying I "beat" Elden Ring at this point. Maybe I should just go back and finish Sekiro or Bloodborne.

Post carian feel lol. Gamers with shame.com

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Turtle Pope would forgive you and be proud of you for learning there are different ways to achieve goals.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

The Anime Liker posted:

She walks into the seat of power of a demi-god and says very clearly her intention is to overthrow that demi-god then immediately, with zero delay, gets owned so hard she's in the eternal torment configuration.

But yes, you're right, it's definitely Ranni and the academy students who did it to Sellen. Trap sprung. I rest my case your honor.

I mean, it's still conceivable that Rennala did it without an ounce of hostility. Just went "Oh she must wish to be reborn" and rebirthed Sellen as what she wished to become

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?
Is upgrading a shield worth all the expense?

Does it tank a whole lot more damage, or does it just upgrade the Shield 'Art' (which I don't use) or damage? I'm always confused about upgrades.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Rennala hasn't gotten over her husband leaving her for some blonde gold digger, her son learning Space Magic and going insane, her other son loving and then absorbing a snake, and her daughter being blue.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tarezax posted:

I mean, it's still conceivable that Rennala did it without an ounce of hostility. Just went "Oh she must wish to be reborn" and rebirthed Sellen as what she wished to become

rennala’s creations are “frail and short-lived” so I don’t think that’s what happened to sellen, unfortunately for her. boc drops dead almost immediately after putting on the rez

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

The Anime Liker posted:

I don't think anyone did it to Sellen, I think Sellen thought she could ascend via primordial sorceries and brainpile is what happened to her. If Rennala is punishing her it's by not using the egg to rebirth Sellen as a not-monstrosity