Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Arquinsiel posted:

When I went back to do my Masters in 2020 I still got told that in the very near future all work will happen on phones. People are bad at accurately predicting the present.

A few years back a place I work trialled giving all execs iPads if they agreed to relinquish their laptops, as the vast majority of their work was deemed to be reading powerpoint things and emailing.

Unsurprisingly the vast majority agreed, got their ipads and then failed to give up their laptops because of COURSE they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
There's gently caress all people faster typing on a touchscreen than a real keyboard so what was the goal there? Slow the execs down by ~25%?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You'd get a keyboard for it. If all someone does on a computer is email, join video calls, review documents and travel to business lunches then an iPad with LTE is probably a better option for them than a laptop.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I'm old enough to remember cameras on phones. We sat and struggled to find a legit reason to take a picture with your phone (vs something like an actual camera) in a personal or even business setting

To be fair it still kinda holds true for business, and I think I can still count on my hands the times I took a picture of the whiteboard for future reference.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

You'd get a keyboard for it. If all someone does on a computer is email, join video calls, review documents and travel to business lunches then an iPad with LTE is probably a better option for them than a laptop.

This was like a decade or so ago and we weren't big on videoconferencing at this point, it was mostly audio via phones rather than over the Internet. We'd also just virtualised all the desktops so in theory you could have logged into your desktop on the iPad and got to everything you could have possibly needed (though admittedly with a bit of a clunky interface).

But they just couldn't give up their laptops.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Ive never seen any tablet deployment anywhere that wasn’t a stupid use of everyone’s time and the pet project of a moron.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

So how did your project go?

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I was once hired into a project at a F500 bank that involved FileMaker, hidden Apple servers in peoples offices, a shadow WiFi network, hundreds of iPads expensed to corporate cards, and so many PCI violations you would’ve thought the team was flaunting it all intentionally (they were! Because they were the stupidest people I’ve ever worked with). As a member of this awful team I helped central IT destroy the whole thing because it was embarrassing, and once the re-org began after the project was dismantled I left and would never work there again for any amount of money.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Roundboy posted:

To be fair it still kinda holds true for business, and I think I can still count on my hands the times I took a picture of the whiteboard for future reference.

The easiest way to start diagnosing issues that people are having with things when they are on a different site to you is "take a photo of the error message on the screen" or "can you send me a photo of the LEDs on your fibre modem". It would take a lot of back-and-forth asking for what status lights are doing and one photo covers it all, as well as allowing you to compare the photo the last tech on site took when things were working with how things look today.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Thanks Ants posted:

The easiest way to start diagnosing issues that people are having with things when they are on a different site to you is "take a photo of the error message on the screen" or "can you send me a photo of the LEDs on your fibre modem". It would take a lot of back-and-forth asking for what status lights are doing and one photo covers it all, as well as allowing you to compare the photo the last tech on site took when things were working with how things look today.

Yup. Also, a good camera makes it super easy to document smaller racks and general server room layouts. They also let you grab pictures of labels with serial numbers, support codes, and anything else printed, all date and location stamped within the photo. Even more useful when it's at an odd angle where your phone can fit but your head can't.

Arquinsiel posted:

When I went back to do my Masters in 2020 I still got told that in the very near future all work will happen on phones. People are bad at accurately predicting the present.

I could realistically see this convergence happening in the pretty close future if something like Continuum or Dex actually caught on. All processing and storage can happen on the little glass box in your pocket, with input/output handled by a real keyboard and big monitors.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
We're about to do a major mobile device rollout because our industry has a good niche for them. What we do is essentially small scale construction and small to huge scale wiring, and having a foreman take a metric poo poo ton of timestamped pictures at the end of a job saves a ton of headaches. We keep a copy, the customer gets a copy, and when they ask us or come after us for something months down the road, we can say "that's not what it looked like when we left".

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

i am a moron posted:

Ive never seen any tablet deployment anywhere that wasn’t a stupid use of everyone’s time and the pet project of a moron.

I’ve seen this go well in exactly two scenarios.

For student use in a primary school, and for home visit staff to use at a disability support organisation.

Literally every other tablet deployment was a vanity project that existed only to inflate the egos of middle management.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Bargearse posted:

For student use in a primary school, and for home visit staff to use at a disability support organisation.

Literally every other tablet deployment was a vanity project that existed only to inflate the egos of middle management.

My girlfriend is a medical coordinator for an in-home Healthcare company, people that need medical staff 24 hours usually.

She can push out med alerts to the staff at a particular house, and it will pop up on the house tablet, update med orders remotely, that sort of thing. It's a pretty fantastic tool for this stuff because the old way was 2 inch thick binders of notes that had to be refreshed every month.

My company has a friggin iPad on a remote control Segway because some executive wanted a toy. We changed offices and it's just sitting in a closet somewhere.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Relentless posted:

My company has a friggin iPad on a remote control Segway because some executive wanted a toy. We changed offices and it's just sitting in a closet somewhere.

Wait, like the convicts on that season six episode of Community?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Relentless posted:

I got interviewed by one of these things once

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Bargearse posted:

I work at an ISP and all of our field techs get an iPad. It's actually a rock solid deployment. All of the routing and provisioning tools are on the iPad, as well as more advanced troubleshooting tools for the higher level plant techs. One of the cooler tools they use is an interactive map of the cable plant overlaid over google maps so they can visually see what customers are out and follow the lines back to a common point so they know where to start troubleshooting. It saves an absolute insane amount of repair time.

Bonus points, it doubles as a GPS locator for slave driving the already overworked and overbooked field techs.

Honestly though in my opinion it's one of the few applications that make a lot of sense. Laptops are bulky and have comparatively lovely battery life, and these guys live on the road.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Roundboy posted:

I'm old enough to remember cameras on phones. We sat and struggled to find a legit reason to take a picture with your phone (vs something like an actual camera) in a personal or even business setting

The owner of our company, back in 2010 or so when Brett Favre was dealing with his sexting scandal, had MMS messaging disabled on all of our phones.

Of course, at this point, most of our employees were using Nextel push to talk flip phones, with only a handful of "important" people having Blackberries.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
We have like 10 Surface tablets that I've never seen anyone use on a consistent basis. One of the departments also purchased 5 of those Mac Pro trash cans that we've literally never used because we couldn't put them on the network for some reason.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Fil5000 posted:

Wait, like the convicts on that season six episode of Community?

100%. Possibly even the same brand.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

i am a moron posted:

Back in my data center days the walk around be checklist was completed via a janky MS Power App on an ipad. There was no WiFi in the data halls, so the app didn't work. We were still expected to carry the thing in its giant rubber case around anyway, remember everything, then fill it out once back in the NOC. By the time I had joined someone figured out that you could just login to office in a browser and use that instead to save yourself a lot of hassle.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Ah, Knightscope. About to move from grifting mom and pop investors to trying to grift VC companies. That is going to be hilarious.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Oh tech spammers, you never change

Spammer posted:

Hi AlexDeGruven,

I understand that you are busy, considering all the rapid work-life changes around us.

So I will keep this short, SanerNow comes with the industry's most accurate vulnerability scanning, assessments, and remediation through integrated and effective patching capability.

Could you kindly pick a number that best describes your response?

1 - Interested, let's have a call tomorrow

2 - Interested, let's connect next week

3 - I am interested but want to connect next month

4 - I am interested but want to connect next quarter

5 - Let's connect sometime in future

Regards,
<Spammer Name>
Growth Head
Book Your Meeting here

I wonder if someone told him there was some sort of psychology involved in not giving a "Not interested" option. I've noticed that spam and junk mail try to hit psychological triggers constantly these days.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Option 6, I'm stuck under a rock, send help right away!

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I wonder how many meetings you could schedule and subsequently miss with increasingly flimsy excuses ("Sorry I missed the demo, my kid had to show me this cool rock they found") before the salesdrone gives up?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's sales, nobody ever reaches the point where they give up

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I'm also not sure if they mistyped "Scanner now" or the name is really that dumb

Weedle
May 31, 2006

AlexDeGruven posted:

I'm also not sure if they mistyped "Scanner now" or the name is really that dumb

it really is that dumb. their website's good at least

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Yikes, that CSS should be a crime.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Weedle posted:

Ah yes very very legit looking

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Weedle posted:

this feels like a good reply with a "this you?"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

hI i Am gLaD yOu ArE hErE :greencube:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

AlexDeGruven posted:

Oh tech spammers, you never change

I wonder if someone told him there was some sort of psychology involved in not giving a "Not interested" option. I've noticed that spam and junk mail try to hit psychological triggers constantly these days.

Got on me the other day...

Hey Bob! This my fifth email. So you either don't read these, are a jerk and delete them, or you're busy. Hahah amirite

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Also this copier sales fuckstick kept calling me...I kept ignoring him.

Accidentally picked up one time and then I hung up on him. So he calls back and gets my voicemail. OHH BOB MORALES THATS YOUR LAST NAME HUH? You're a real jerk buddy! Blah blah blah

I tried calling him back and he wouldn't answer

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

AlexDeGruven posted:

Regards,
<Spammer Name>
Growth Head
Book Your Meeting here
"Growth Head" is a very unfortunate job title.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Knormal posted:

"Growth Head" is a very unfortunate job title.

really depends on what industry you are in

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
At my office they're pretty good at blocking cold callers, but the other locations just hear 'IT' and patch 'm through. I've been taking to telling them that if I were to give in to every meeting request for '30 minutes of my time to talk about opportunities/IT/whatever' I wouldn't have time for my job anymore.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Got on me the other day...

Hey Bob! This my fifth email. So you either don't read these, are a jerk and delete them, or you're busy. Hahah amirite

Ooh, that was a new one, too. Basically "per my last email", but for spam. Especially when there was not a previous email. Again, trying to hit psychological triggers, which is a special kind of assholery.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
On the rare occasion a cold call slips through I like to play a game where I'm as unhelpful as possible but also won't hang up the phone until they do so first.

Revel in the awkward silences!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The one that really irritates me is when they get my details from a jobhunting site and schedule a call "to discuss an opportunity" and it turns out to be a pitch for me to convince the bosses I am trying to escape to become resellers for their poo poo. :commissar: