Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gamer roomie is 41
May 3, 2020

:)

Soysaucebeast posted:

Also, I know Newegg isn't exactly circling the drain, but man they are going through some poo poo lately.
Bonus points for literally every Supervisor/C-Suite person in that interview being with the company for less than 2 years except for one guy who had been there close to 20 but had only been in management for two. High turnover always inspires confidence.

It'll be interesting to see where they go from here.

I had an interview with them earlier in the year which made it seem like an ok company, but I checked Glassdoor after and it sounds like the most MISERABLE place to work. I know glassdoor skews towards disgruntled complaints, but NewEgg is on another level. No personal phones or devices at your desk, butts in seats from 9–6, just a really grim negative sounding place. The HR recruiter *maybe* vaguely mentioned some possible WFH flexibility, but asked me in a few different ways if I was ok with onsite to the point where I could tell I would have to be there every day. I have no idea who would accept that these days, except someone already living in the San Gabriel valley who really needs a first job out of school (oh ya it's in hot lovely inland City of Industry, CA; what a great place to arrive at after sitting in traffic commuting 5 days a week!)

Obviously I didn't pursue it so I don't have the inside scoop, but newegg seems to be held hostage by some crusty old guys who refuse to change anything and think it's still 2004. The way things are now with WFH and work/life balance expectations for the positions they need to fill, there's no way they're going to attract or retain talent. I bet they crumble or get sold in the next couple years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Vandar posted:

E3 is an outdated event anyway and has been for a long time, so. Good riddance.

It's this

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea the last few E3s have been complete shitshows and always fueled a pretty heavy conversation around 'why do we even do E3 still again?' as the shitshows got worse

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Re: Dollar Shave Club stuff

They're just rebranded Dorco razors. The handles are interchangeable. Dorco used to have a direct sales site dorcousa.com where you could get their stuff super cheap, but they shut it down in 2019 and now only sell via Amazon. They make generic razors for dollar general, Walgreens, family dollar etc.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Meanwhile......
https://mobile.twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/1509610747235471375?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

gamer roomie is 41 posted:

I had an interview with them earlier in the year which made it seem like an ok company, but I checked Glassdoor after and it sounds like the most MISERABLE place to work. I know glassdoor skews towards disgruntled complaints, but NewEgg is on another level. No personal phones or devices at your desk, butts in seats from 9–6, just a really grim negative sounding place. The HR recruiter *maybe* vaguely mentioned some possible WFH flexibility, but asked me in a few different ways if I was ok with onsite to the point where I could tell I would have to be there every day. I have no idea who would accept that these days, except someone already living in the San Gabriel valley who really needs a first job out of school (oh ya it's in hot lovely inland City of Industry, CA; what a great place to arrive at after sitting in traffic commuting 5 days a week!)

Obviously I didn't pursue it so I don't have the inside scoop, but newegg seems to be held hostage by some crusty old guys who refuse to change anything and think it's still 2004. The way things are now with WFH and work/life balance expectations for the positions they need to fill, there's no way they're going to attract or retain talent. I bet they crumble or get sold in the next couple years.

its insane when in comparision, newegg was the place for computer stuff back in the early and mid 2000s, and now its basically beyond useless and even its seach options suck

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

It's worse than that. I have lost so much confidence in the site that I now don't even think to check there. It's like it's already gone to me.
Their return policy loving sucks. They do stupid bundles with poo poo you don't want. Its a shame too as I spend a ton of money there back in the day.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I got a good-as-new refurbished phone on newegg's marketplace just when they started it, before it got super lovely

It came in, and the screen had massive pink burn-in. Just horrible. I tried to get a return, but the third party supplier ghosted the entire newegg marketplace, so Newegg refunded me directly and let me keep the phone

so it was a decent customer interaction but shows a certain lack of due diligence with their suppliers

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

AceOfFlames posted:

No joke, one scientist, Dr. John Ioannidis, decided to start investigating the company simply because he drove by the HQ and wondered why the hell someone would combine 'tyrannos' and 'thanatos' to name their healthcare company.

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/theranos-whistleblowers-filed-complaints-fear-patients-health-started/story?id=61030212

quote:

”I went out with some of my housemates and I saw some of the project managers there and one of them was hitting on one of my friends ... and he was saying that he was clean, STD-free and we were making jokes that he didn't actually know because he was tested with a Theranos device”

Ha ha ha, boy that sure is a fun pickup line

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

:aochloe:

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Anyways back to E3, hasn't PAX essentially replaced it for some time now? I don't know E3 is gonna get everyone back for 2023.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
tbf, if you fail 100% of your pickups, then you have pretty decent knowledge youre STD free.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
nobody is circling that man's drain

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

UCS Hellmaker posted:

its insane when in comparision, newegg was the place for computer stuff back in the early and mid 2000s, and now its basically beyond useless and even its seach options suck

Franco Caution posted:

It's worse than that. I have lost so much confidence in the site that I now don't even think to check there. It's like it's already gone to me.
Their return policy loving sucks. They do stupid bundles with poo poo you don't want. Its a shame too as I spend a ton of money there back in the day.
Is there anywhere good to order computer components left if you don't want to support Amazon? I've heard good things about Microcenter but their site seems not great and I don't have any physical locations near me.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Turbinosamente posted:

Anyways back to E3, hasn't PAX essentially replaced it for some time now? I don't know E3 is gonna get everyone back for 2023.

PAX is at least in the sink if it’s not circling the drain yet. They make more sense as a convention than E3 with no major dev presence but they have been having their struggles too.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Microcenter is amazing if you have a store nearby. And I think that they tend to be good for online stuff. In store you actually get to support people since they still do commission so the people actually give a drat about making sure you get what you need and not something that doesn't work.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Microcenter is amazing if you have a store nearby. And I think that they tend to be good for online stuff. In store you actually get to support people since they still do commission so the people actually give a drat about making sure you get what you need and not something that doesn't work.

I'm utterly delighted by the micro center 30 odd minutes from me

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Can confirm. I'm one of those people that would rather just buy everything online instead of put on pants and leave the house, but I will make the drive to microcenter every chance I get. The people there are stupid helpful, and they've has basically every component I've needed, even some of the more out there things. I can't speak to their website, but with how good the brick and mortar store is, it might be worth it to give it a shot.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Volmarias posted:

I'm utterly delighted by the micro center 30 odd minutes from me

It's literally a 5 minute walk from my apartment and it definitely is worth it every few weeks to go in and walk around and see stuff. MC is legit a nice store and has so many things for computers but also for electronic hobby stuff

And the site to store or in store deals are definitely worth it. The employees actually seem happy which is a definite plus. Hell I've had the store manager check me out sometimes even when there's tons of free open registers which I've never even heard of in most stores.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Empty Sandwich posted:

nobody is circling that man's drain

Unless you subscribe to catholic dogma. They believe there are thousands of lives circling that man's drain.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

There's a Microcenter in my state but I'd have to drive 2 hours to get there. A long, long time ago I lived much closer to it and it was great.

Did the problems with Newegg start after 2017? I bought all of the components in my current gaming PC from them and had zero issues. Granted, everything was NIB and worked perfectly. Maybe RMAs and/or buying stuff used, open-box, refurbished, or from a 3rd party seller is the problem?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

E3 dying isn't super surprising seeing as they were hit by a one two punch of everybody big realizing they could just hold their own events and the pandemic.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Ofecks posted:

There's a Microcenter in my state but I'd have to drive 2 hours to get there. A long, long time ago I lived much closer to it and it was great.

Did the problems with Newegg start after 2017? I bought all of the components in my current gaming PC from them and had zero issues. Granted, everything was NIB and worked perfectly. Maybe RMAs and/or buying stuff used, open-box, refurbished, or from a 3rd party seller is the problem?

My laptop I got from them in 2020 is still solid, despite abusing it thoroughly with Doom: Eternal, Subnautica, and others.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Speaking of E3, is CES still taken seriously? It always seemed to be a trade show for local news stations to go “oh wow gee look at this future technology!!” while inadvertently promoting the latest in vaporware.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Icon Of Sin posted:

My laptop I got from them in 2020 is still solid, despite abusing it thoroughly with Doom: Eternal, Subnautica, and others.

Feels like game hardware requirements haven't actually been seriously pushed in a while. They definitely hit the point of diminishing returns with current tools and maybe in general a while back.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Feels like game hardware requirements haven't actually been seriously pushed in a while. They definitely hit the point of diminishing returns with current tools and maybe in general a while back.

I am going to get a hardware refresh when the new cards hit and likely never buy another PC again

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Agreed. I guess enough of the game industry is dominated by consoles that it doesn't make financial sense to devote resources to pushing the envelope in ways most gamers will never see. But there's still people buying high end graphics cards that as far as I can tell aren't pushed by anything besides raytracing and goofy 8k + 200fps setups.

Edit: I'm still rocking the i7 34xx I bought to play Skyrim.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Agreed. I guess enough of the game industry is dominated by consoles that it doesn't make financial sense to devote resources to pushing the envelope in ways most gamers will never see. But there's still people buying high end graphics cards that as far as I can tell aren't pushed by anything besides raytracing and goofy 8k + 200fps setups.

Even then, game developers seem to be pushed past the limit just to keep up with bleeding-edge hardware and trying to actually take advantage of it all, see the Cyberpunk shitshow. Especially with the current all-consuming trend for sprawling sandboxes, that are hitting the limit of what a conventional dev cycle can actually fill with worthwhile content. Something's gotta give.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Even then, game developers seem to be pushed past the limit just to keep up with bleeding-edge hardware and trying to actually take advantage of it all, see the Cyberpunk shitshow. Especially with the current all-consuming trend for sprawling sandboxes, that are hitting the limit of what a conventional dev cycle can actually fill with worthwhile content. Something's gotta give.

And Elden Ring has essentially proved that you don't need to. Elden Ring is a beautifully artistically designed game but the graphics are still quite last gen and scratching at the surface unearths a TON of recycled content, whether duplicating assets within the game itself (including the old Bethesda trick of dozens of identical dungeons with different layouts) and stuff directly from or cut from prior games. But they use it all SO WELL, it still manages to be one of the best games of the past few years. And it still had such a long def cycle a lot of people were wondering if it got quietly cancelled.

Elden Ring is essentially the "sustainable" version of a modern sandbox. Shame no one else will likely follow FromSoft's lead.

AceOfFlames has a new favorite as of 00:12 on Apr 4, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

AceOfFlames posted:

And Elden Ring has essentially proved that you don't need to. Elden Ring is a beautifully artistically game but the graphics are still quite last gen and scratching at the surface unearths a TON of recycled content, whether duplicating assets within the game itself (including the old Bethesda trick of dozens of identical dungeons with different layouts) and stuff directly from or cut from prior games. But they use it all SO WELL, it still manages to be one of the best games of the past few years. And it still had such a long def cycle a lot of people were wondering if it got quietly cancelled.

Elden Ring is essentially the "sustainable" version of a modern sandbox. Shame no one else will likely follow FromSoft's lead.

Breath of the Wild comparisons coming to mind, it does much the same thing. (and has rather little enemy variety among other things; a key thing though is that you have those enemies at least be mixed up and have complex enough behaviours to keep it fresh) There's a difference between having lots of assets and having lots of content. The mainstream development process arguably has their priorities all wrong.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
We've been having this debate for decades, like technically its true, but we can probably kick the can down the road for a while for various reasons.

e: Might as well mention two more Zelda games are arguments against cutting edge supa graphix/tech.

MM : lol recycled assets from OOT and great storytelling/other non gameplay stuff.
WW: lol cartoon graphic and "fun" style make it age better then whatever REALISBROWN REALGRAPHIX from its contemporaries.

PhazonLink has a new favorite as of 18:50 on Apr 3, 2022

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Blue Footed Booby posted:

If you want a challenge, make your game run on my desktop in 3840x2160 without making my graphics card immediately prepare for takeoff, and without making the graphics PS2 quality. Apparently this is a diabolically hard thing to do!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Breath of the Wild comparisons coming to mind, it does much the same thing. (and has rather little enemy variety among other things; a key thing though is that you have those enemies at least be mixed up and have complex enough behaviours to keep it fresh) There's a difference between having lots of assets and having lots of content. The mainstream development process arguably has their priorities all wrong.

Much like how the genre improvements in BotW weren't adopted by devs at large, neither will the improvements in Elden Ring

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

It seemed like towards the end of the 8 bit NES they were always improving things on the software side to milk as much potential out of the hardware's limitation as possible. Nowadays it feels like they just let themselves program as sloppy as they want and rely on the hardware to catch up since something newer and better is always right on the horizon. /end old man rant

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Sekhmnet posted:

It seemed like towards the end of the 8 bit NES they were always improving things on the software side to milk as much potential out of the hardware's limitation as possible. Nowadays it feels like they just let themselves program as sloppy as they want and rely on the hardware to catch up since something newer and better is always right on the horizon. /end old man rant

FF6 on the SNES is an excellent example of devs using dark magic and bits of string to hold a game together. Pretty sure that one was pushing what the SNES had to the limits. There's an LP in the archive of the game being absolutely torn apart.

On the other side, modern games can be updated with bug fixes. Can't really patch a cart once it's made.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Mustached Demon posted:

On the other side, modern games can be updated with bug fixes. Can't really patch a cart once it's made.

No you can, you just do it on the second printing of the game. I don’t know much about the snes but the n64 had enough games with bugs patched out past the initial release.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Ziv Zulander posted:

No you can, you just do it on the second printing of the game. I don’t know much about the snes but the n64 had enough games with bugs patched out past the initial release.

Yeah but that doesn't fix the one you already bought does it?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Nintendo somehow patch the Gen 3 pokemon games with the GC's GBA link thing. Something called The Berries Glitch that was a time based thing even though Ruby/Sap didnt have a dayday cycle.

Some goon can probably give deets or you can read the wiki.

e: hell I think all those Nintendo events / their Nintendo store also gave out stealth patches??

PhazonLink has a new favorite as of 04:04 on Apr 4, 2022

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

On rare, rare occasions a cartridge based game might be recalled, and replaced with a fixed copy. One game I can think of off hand that had that was SNK vs Capcom: Card Fighters DS. Original printing had a game stopping bug, and they ran a recall of it for a time. If you ever hate yourself enough to hunt down a physical copy of the game (it's...not very good), you can tell the difference by the art. A fixed cart has black and white art behind the logo, while the original printing has full color art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Volmarias posted:

If you want a challenge, make your game run on my desktop in 3840x2160 without making my graphics card immediately prepare for takeoff, and without making the graphics PS2 quality. Apparently this is a diabolically hard thing to do!

I game in 1080p :shrug: