Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So I found out today that my PC will not run Elden Ring. My Processor and my Graphics card are officially to old.

So, using Elden Ring's Recommended Specs I did a quick parts list using System Builder. Can anyone just look it over real quick and possibly recommend any changes or parts I should get? I don't plan to buy it now, I don't have the money, but I just wanted an idea on how much im going to be looking to pay out for it.

PC Builder Part List: https://pcbuilder.net/rigs/1u499L/

1. Processor: Intel Core i7-8700K, 6 Cores & 12 Threads Unlocked Desktop Processor with Intel UHD Graphics 630 ($330.00 @ Amazon US)

2. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A Motherboard LGA1151 (Intel 8th and 9th Gen) ATX DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 USB 3.1 Gen2 Gigabit LAN ($399.99 @ Amazon US)

3. CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.B CPU Air Cooler, 120mm Single Tower, Intel LGA1151, AMD AM4/Ryzen ($49.99 @ Amazon US)

4. Case: NZXT H510 Compact ATX Mid-Tower PC Gaming Case - Front I/O USB Type-C Port - Tempered Glass Side Panel - Cable Management System - Water-Cooling Ready ($69.99 @ Amazon US)

5. Graphics Card: MSI Gaming GeForce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5 SLI DirectX 12 VR Ready Graphics Card ($491.22 (Used) @ Amazon US)

6. RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB, 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-4600MHz High Performance CL18 Desktop Memory ( @ Amazon US)

7. Storage: Lexar NM610 M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1TB Solid-State Drive ($97.80 @ Amazon US)

8. Storage: Western Digital WD Blue 1TB SATA 3 6Gb/s, 3.5" Internal Hard Drive with 7200 RPM & 64 MB Cache ($39.49 @ Amazon US)

9. Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11, 80+ Bronze Certified 350W ATX Power Supply ($74.86 @ Amazon US)

Total: $1,553
Generated by PC Builder (https://pcbuilder.net/) on 4th of April, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

CoolCab posted:

oh brother it turns off youtube and twitch ads and stuff. even beyond the security implications it makes those websites remotely tolerable.

I don't use twitch, but oh man I forgot how horrible youtube ads were. We ended up getting YouTube Premium for the whole family to get rid of that poo poo. Certainly more expensive than adblock, but it did come with youtube music and the ability to download videos/music to your phone, which is actually pretty nice for the price (at least in Canada).

If it were just me, I'd probably just do adblock though. Actually, I should look into that anyway because I'm a cheap bastard.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

BigRed0427 posted:

So, using Elden Ring's Recommended Specs I did a quick parts list using System Builder. Can anyone just look it over real quick and possibly recommend any changes or parts I should get?

You need to change basically all of it, using recommended specs as a basis for a PC build is a really bad idea because you'll be picking generations old parts which are no longer in production and thoroughly surpassed in every metric by equivalent modern parts. The CPU you picked there is 4 generations old for example.

Better to come back and give us a budget and use case when you're actually ready to build because GPU availability is very volatile right now but trending better.

For around $1500 you should be able to get a good mid to high range gaming PC.

Edit: also use PC part picker.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Butterfly Valley posted:

You need to change basically all of it, using recommended specs as a basis for a PC build is a really bad idea because you'll be picking generations old parts which are no longer in production and thoroughly surpassed in every metric by equivalent modern parts. The CPU you picked there is 4 generations old for example.

Better to come back and give us a budget and use case when you're actually ready to build because GPU availability is very volatile right now but trending better.

For around $1500 you should be able to get a good mid to high range gaming PC.

Ok, I don't keep up with PC parts except to laugh/mock/curse Crypto Bros. About 1500 Is what I'm willing to spend. If I remember right that's about what my last PC cost as well. I just suck at picking parts out.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
what exactly are your existent parts? i've heard people getting away with under recommended specs in some areas.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I can't put together a list right this moment, but a modern basic midrange system probably has a 12400F or 12600K as the CPU and the 3060 or 3060 Ti as the GPU (Do not use PCPartPicker for GPUs, they are super unreliable with them), along with 16GB or 32GB of DDR4-3600 CL16 and at least a 650W power supply.

edit: a 12400/3060 Ti system should cost you around $1200, to give you a general idea of what you'd be spending.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 3, 2022

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I don't use twitch, but oh man I forgot how horrible youtube ads were. We ended up getting YouTube Premium for the whole family to get rid of that poo poo. Certainly more expensive than adblock, but it did come with youtube music and the ability to download videos/music to your phone, which is actually pretty nice for the price (at least in Canada).

If it were just me, I'd probably just do adblock though. Actually, I should look into that anyway because I'm a cheap bastard.

don't get adblock itself, it's been more or less co-opted by the ad companies and whitelists stuff it has been paid for which imo is ridiculously perverse incentive, lol. ublock origin is free and open source and takes like, four clicks. good poo poo.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

CoolCab posted:

what exactly are your existent parts? i've heard people getting away with under recommended specs in some areas.

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690 CPU @ 3.50GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
RAM: 16 GB

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

If you're dedicated to getting an NZXT case, you can get an 11400F and 3060 ti system kit from them for only $1,250 that's specced better in every way. Don't spend $1500 on a 6-year-old GPU or processor: https://nzxt.com/product/bld-kit-starter-pro-pc

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't know it was out of date. Like I said, i dont keep up with parts and wasn't sure how to look up what was current. :blush:

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Oh it's totally fine, don't worry about it, I just don't want to see people get ripped off.

(Also Elden Ring is capped at 60 FPS and might run like rear end anyways, I still get hitches playing on a 3070)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I do not recommend going that route. There was a time during the peak of the GPU shortage when NZXT build kits kinda made sense, but you can build a better system for less now. There's no world where buying that build kit makes sense anymore.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

BigRed0427 posted:

have you already bought the game? the GPU will play the game abet not very well. this is the performance on the 1070, considerably faster than this card admittedly, and that proc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J6N63Bhyvc

NiceAaron
Oct 19, 2003

Devote your hearts to the cause~

BigRed0427 posted:

That's very close to what I've got, and I don't have any major issues running Elden Ring. (I've got the same GPU and the same amount of RAM, but an i7-4790K instead which is a bit better than what you've got, but I don't think the CPU is likely to be the limiting factor.) So if Elden Ring is the main reason for upgrading, give it a try with your current setup first, you might be pleasantly surprised. Worst case scenario, if the performance isn't satisfactory you can proceed with the upgrade.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I said I wouldn't do it but I did it anyway. Here's a basic list to start from. You can upgrade components from here as desired: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/c9gt8r

Do your GPU shopping on Newegg, though be aware that we're still in the midst of a GPU shortage, where graphics cards are regularly coming in and out of stock, and prices are elevated over their MSRPs by a fair margin (by 20 - 40% usually). Newegg's in-stock selection tends to be lowest on sundays. They'll get more restocks over the course of the next week, and we can probably expect some $500 - $550-ish 3060 Tis, which is the card I recommended a few posts up. GPU prices are following a downward trend right now, so that price could come down more if you wait long enough.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 4, 2022

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

CoolCab posted:

have you already bought the game? the GPU will play the game abet not very well. this is the performance on the 1070, considerably faster than this card admittedly, and that proc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J6N63Bhyvc

Not yet. i told my roommate I was but then she asked me if my PC can run it and according to the "Can you Run It" thing, it says I don't meet the minimum specs.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I said I wouldn't do it but I did it anyway. Here's a basic list to start from. You can upgrade components from here as desired: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/c9gt8r

Do your GPU shopping on Newegg, though be aware that we're still in the midst of a GPU shortage, where graphics cards are regularly coming in and out of stock, and prices are elevated over their MSRPs by a fair margin (by 20 - 40% usually). Newegg's in-stock selection tends to be lowest on sundays. They'll get more restocks over the course of the next week, and we can probably expect some $500 - $550-ish 3060 Tis, which is the card I recommended a few posts up. GPU prices are following a downward trend right now, so that price could come down more if you wait long enough.

THank you so much :):

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

BigRed0427 posted:

Not yet. i told my roommate I was but then she asked me if my PC can run it and according to the "Can you Run It" thing, it says I don't meet the minimum specs.

well like i say the attached video says otherwise. you might have to close everything else but she'll run. here's it running with a 970

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF5ARHVVT6M

but i imagine their CPU is a lot better. running under minimum specs means there may be parts of the game that run really bad but i bet it's beatable.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I'm planning to build this over the Easter weekend, but I'm stuck on either the 3080Ti for hypothetical 3x1 27" 4K 120Hz monitors I don't yet have, or a 3070/Ti (depending on availability) for my existing 3x1 1200p 60Hz set and upgrading the GPU when I replace them.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700KF 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor ($483.95 @ shopRBC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12A chromax.black 60.09 CFM CPU Cooler ($169.95 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS WIFI D4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($349.00 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($220.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($359.00 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: ADATA XPG 8100 4 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($529.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING LE iCX3 Video Card ($1839.99 @ Memory Express)
Case: Fractal Design Define 7 XL ATX Full Tower Case ($279.99 @ Memory Express)
Power Supply: EVGA P2 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($254.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDR-212DBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($94.99 @ PC-Canada)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro OEM 64-bit ($160.50 @ Vuugo)
Case Fan: Noctua A14 PWM chromax.black.swap 82.52 CFM 140 mm Fan ($33.08 @ Amazon Canada)
Case Fan: Noctua A14 PWM chromax.black.swap 82.52 CFM 140 mm Fan ($33.08 @ Amazon Canada)
Total: $4908.73
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-04-03 21:29 EDT-0400

If someone can make a compelling argument for 1440p VRR over 4K I'll happily listen, as anything would be a huge QoL improvement at this point.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

CoolCab posted:

but i imagine their CPU is a lot better.

Yup, a 5600X.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Shumagorath posted:

I'm planning to build this over the Easter weekend, but I'm stuck on either the 3080Ti for hypothetical 3x1 27" 4K 120Hz monitors I don't yet have, or a 3070/Ti (depending on availability) for my existing 3x1 1200p 60Hz set and upgrading the GPU when I replace them.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700KF 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor ($483.95 @ shopRBC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12A chromax.black 60.09 CFM CPU Cooler ($169.95 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS WIFI D4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($349.00 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($220.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($359.00 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: ADATA XPG 8100 4 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($529.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING LE iCX3 Video Card ($1839.99 @ Memory Express)
Case: Fractal Design Define 7 XL ATX Full Tower Case ($279.99 @ Memory Express)
Power Supply: EVGA P2 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($254.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDR-212DBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($94.99 @ PC-Canada)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro OEM 64-bit ($160.50 @ Vuugo)
Total: $4908.73
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-04-03 21:29 EDT-0400

If someone can make a compelling argument for 1440p VRR over 4K I'll happily listen, as anything would be a huge QoL improvement at this point.

You could save a decent chunk of cash rethinking your CPU cooler, case, optical drive, and fan selections.

Ex. Noctua NH-D15S chromax.Black or Dark Rock 4 instead of the U12a. Or consider getting an external writer and smaller case so you don't have to worry about cooling the giant unused area that the drive cage occupies.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

BigRed0427 posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't consider a game saying that a firm no, "minimum" is a weirdly not-firm term these days. I've just been playing Sunset Overdrive which, when I run it, explicitly tells me my processor does not meet the minimum spec, then it runs anyway and is totally fine as far as I can tell.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

grack posted:

You could save a decent chunk of cash rethinking your CPU cooler, case, optical drive, and fan selections.

Ex. Noctua NH-D15S chromax.Black or Dark Rock 4 instead of the U12a. Or consider getting an external writer and smaller case so you don't have to worry about cooling the giant unused area that the drive cage occupies.
What does the cooler get me besides price? I thought the 12700 was crazy hot? Ditto with the fans - I'm loyal to Noctua but how much could I save at the same performance?

I liked working in the 7 XL for a friend a lot more than my own R5, and if I have top ventilation is that a huge concern? The 7 XL also allows sideways mounting of the GPU (assuming Fractal put a 4.0 bridge out).

My other issue with external is I haven't found a good one with M-Disc.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

roomforthetuna posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't consider a game saying that a firm no, "minimum" is a weirdly not-firm term these days. I've just been playing Sunset Overdrive which, when I run it, explicitly tells me my processor does not meet the minimum spec, then it runs anyway and is totally fine as far as I can tell.

It's cause it doesn't account for turbo frequencies. That game on pc is kinda a halfassed port (there are some other scary sounding messages that end up benign, like corrupt save file warnings, iirc), but it mostly works fine, and I'm happy we got a port at all.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

What does the cooler get me besides price? I thought the 12700 was crazy hot? Ditto with the fans - I'm loyal to Noctua but how much could I save at the same performance?

If you're really worried about heat generation, the Deep Cool Dark Rock Pro 4 or Noctua NH-D15S chromax.Black are both cheaper and have better performance than the Noctua NH-U12A.

quote:

I liked working in the 7 XL for a friend a lot more than my own R5, and if I have top ventilation is that a huge concern? The 7 XL also allows sideways mounting of the GPU (assuming Fractal put a 4.0 bridge out).

The issue with a big-rear end case is that you have a big-rear end volume that you need to move air around. You're going to fill what, one of those drive bays and everything else will be empty space? Sure, that will make the case "easier to work in", but it's not like you're re-building your computer every week.

Why not an external housing for the drive and a smaller case, then?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The 12700K can get toasty, but it's not an excessively hot chip, no. And the NH-D15 is still a very good cooler. It will have no trouble cooling the 12700K.

You've picked a case that runs hotter than average, so now you need a large number of expensive fans to make up for that. You can find cheaper cases that don't need extra fans and still have perfectly adequate cooling for high-power components like the 3080 Ti and 12700K, e.g. the Lancool II Mesh, Meshify 2 (or the Compact), or the current king of airflow cases, the Torrent. None of these come with top fans mounted, and generally you don't need those unless you're doing water cooling. With air cooling, top fans can potentially divert air away from the air cooler depending on where they're mounted relative to the cooler. So just two or three good front fans and one rear fan are all you really need.

If you really like the look of the Define then by all means, but it's worth pointing out the cheaper alternatives. The disc drive is a fair reason to want something other than those airflow-focused cases, though. I don't know how external drives compare to internal ones.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Hmm, not a bad idea; I could run the drive up to my desktop with an enclosure.

Noctua's own chart says the cooler I picked is supposed to be top-tier. What am I missing?

e: I'm also not married to that 3080Ti if anyone thinks buying for monitors that don't exist is dumb.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 4, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Shumagorath posted:

Hmm, not a bad idea; I could run the drive up to my desktop.

Noctua's own chart says that cooler is supposed to be top-tier. What am I missing?

I'm not sure what chart you're looking at, but Noctua refers to the D15 as "our flagship model, providing the best possible performance for overclocking and silent-enthusiasts" in their buying guide, though this guide doesn't even mention the U12A, so it may be outdated. In reviews though, the D15 tends to be just barely better (tangent, but god this site's charts are loving unreadable)

What makes the U12A remarkable is that it nearly matches the D15 with just a single tower. That's the power of the NF-A12x25 fans they use.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

Hmm, not a bad idea; I could run the drive up to my desktop.

Noctua's own chart says that cooler is supposed to be top-tier. What am I missing?

The NH-U12A's biggest strength is that it's compact and cools well for the size. You can get better (or at least similarly) performing air coolers for cheaper, but the tradeoff is that they'll be larger. Since you seem to favor larger cases anyways you can save some cash on your cooler and put it towards the GPU.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Thank you everyone :)

e: any input on 3080Ti for the future vs 3070Ti (or 3060Ti?) for now is appreciated.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Apr 4, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ah, here's the page I was looking for: https://noctua.at/en/noctua-standardised-performance-rating

Noctua rates their coolers' performance using their own rating system, and the D15 gets the top score. So, yep. The U12A is expensive because it uses noctua's most expensive fans in order to achieve very strong performance with just a single tower. The D15 is a brute force approach by comparison, though it's a very well-designed one.

Shumagorath posted:

Thank you everyone :)

e: any input on 3080Ti for the future vs 3070Ti (or 3060Ti?) for now is appreciated.

Honestly, I'd lean toward the 3070 non-Ti and wait. The 3070 Ti added a lot to the price while only barely adding to performance, and it's generally not worth it unless it's the only one of the two available (or in the odd circumstances where it's cheaper). I am starting to get genuinely optimistic about the future of the GPU market, and I think there could end up being some much better options next year.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

BigRed0427 posted:

it's only your CPU that's under the listed minimum, but the minimum specs for it are set weirdly high compared to what's actually necessary to get it to be pretty playable, it's probably just the lowest they had lying around to test on or something. it is a terribly optimised game though and doesn't really run smoothly for anyone, but to get it to be too bad to play you seemingly need something far under the listed minimum. I have friends who've gotten it to be very playable (though far from ideal) on specs similar to yours.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

For anyone thinking of doing an SFF build, the NR200 is $80 on Amazon atm.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Talk me out of putting my 3070 in that. Or don't.

How hard is it to make those cases quiet?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Unsinkabear posted:

Not at all. It's a very well optimised SFF airflow case. I have an FE 3080 in mine with a Fuma 2 on a 5600x and a couple of Arctic P12s and it's nice and quiet under load with GPU temps in the low 70s and the CPU around 60.

Lol I just noticed that Americans use Celsius for PC temps.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Butterfly Valley posted:

Not at all. It's a very well optimised SFF airflow case. I have an FE 3080 in mine with a Fuma 2 on a 5600x and a couple of Arctic P12s and it's nice and quiet under load with GPU temps in the low 70s and the CPU around 60.

Lol I just noticed that Americans use Celsius for PC temps.

Lots of tech stuff is in metric measurements for clearance, size, etx

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Unsinkabear posted:

It seems to be pretty popular.

However, my lesson from building my own pc (regular sized) is that the definition of "quiet" varies wildly between people, and you won't really know if you're okay with the noise level till you've got the whole set-up up and running.

Building in the NR200 seems like a lot fun, though, if you enjoy tinkering.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nyV4J1n7YQ
This guy's got a dozen or more videos just on that case.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
This question is weird, but here goes. I just installed my 3080. Video cards have gotten loving massive since I last installed one. I can't see where the card is inserted into the motherboard's pci-e socket/whatever you call it, so I have to guess. I pressed down as much as I was comfortable doing, and I got the lever to lock it into place. However, the card is pretty wobbly - like it isn't fully inserted. I don't want to press down much harder in fear of breaking the motherboard or card itself. Is that normal? Like I said, the locking lever has attached itself to the card, so I can't pull it out, but it doesn't feel secure. Screwing in the thumbscrews on the back of the computer makes it feel tight and not wobbly anymore. I don't know if I did something wrong, or if graphics cards just do that now because of how huge they are.

take boat
Jul 8, 2006
boat: TAKEN
anyone have tips for where to get a replacement mATX LGA 1151 motherboard with an m.2 slot? I'm seeing a few refurbished options on Amazon, hard to judge which sellers are least sketchy (beggers can't be choosers of course)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Node posted:

This question is weird, but here goes. I just installed my 3080. Video cards have gotten loving massive since I last installed one. I can't see where the card is inserted into the motherboard's pci-e socket/whatever you call it, so I have to guess. I pressed down as much as I was comfortable doing, and I got the lever to lock it into place. However, the card is pretty wobbly - like it isn't fully inserted. I don't want to press down much harder in fear of breaking the motherboard or card itself. Is that normal? Like I said, the locking lever has attached itself to the card, so I can't pull it out, but it doesn't feel secure. Screwing in the thumbscrews on the back of the computer makes it feel tight and not wobbly anymore. I don't know if I did something wrong, or if graphics cards just do that now because of how huge they are.

That's pretty normal, yeah. The PCIe slot on its own isn't enough to hold in a card of such heft, so they'll be wobbly without the support screws. Many people these days use additional support brackets to hold GPUs up and prevent sag, even, though that's optional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

That's pretty normal, yeah. The PCIe slot on its own isn't enough to hold in a card of such heft, so they'll be wobbly without the support screws. Many people these days use additional support brackets to hold GPUs up and prevent sag, even, though that's optional.

That's great to hear, thank you. My video card came with a support bracket, so that should be taken care of.