Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

NeonPunk posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/mattlargey/status/1510740133791862790

Lmao. And less than a week from when Austin dropped all of their restrictions.

I wonder if a mayor is low enough on the totem that he wouldn't get any of the good stuff to prevent any suffering?

More like Major Adled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
hmm, just like the flu then

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

gradenko_2000 posted:

Covid is the mind-killer

Covid is the brain-cheezer. It is the little virion that brings total swiss-cheezerization. I will face my covid. I will permit it to pass into me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the covid has gone there will be nothing. Only Applebee's will remain.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

loving hell. And if I were to ask anyone in my family about any of this they would be completely clueless. Gonna be great when the next COVID sweeps all of them up again 😩

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Platystemon posted:

In a thunderstorm, only stand under shorter trees.
Thunderstorms are endemic, and it is unrealistic to ask people NOT to stand under trees during them, so you might as well tell them to stand under short trees. In fact, you are weird if you don’t stand under short trees yourself.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Salt Fish posted:

The CDC has increased their recommendation to 6.5 feet of distance.

[in extreme trump voice] the distance just got 2 ft wider!

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

cw: some talk of suicide between the 7:30 and 8:20 mark
https://twitter.com/AndyBxxx/status/1510514827655262210

Not happy about situation in Shanghai. I don't think I'd seen this posted yet

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Nocturtle posted:

I really sympathize, it's so hard when your kid is sick and having one in the NICU must be a whole different level of worry. Especially right now it must be very tough.

Regarding people going unmasked, it makes me very angry but ultimately the health authorities are telling people they don't need masks so they're not wearing them. The people at the top are principally to blame.

oh totally, gently caress the leadership and capital, it’s all their fault. I know that intellectually.

when I’m walking around in a hospital and kids are hacking next to clueless parents jabbing at their phones, I do not know it emotionally

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
glad to see that covid is over

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1510716271045885962?t=eSn1YPRaQQ2cBqH-NMV58w&s=19

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

scary ghost dog posted:

im guessing omicron 1 gets to you easy but in low volume, meaning lower viral loads and fewer symptoms, while omicron 2 gets to you easy in large volume with a higher viral load and more symptoms. so the difference between heavy rain that will get your feet wet even with an umbrella vs heavy rain & high winds winds soaking you and turning your umbrella inside out. only way to stay dry is to stay inside, which wont work when a big hurricane comes along and floods your house

The challenge trial found no correlation between viral load and severity of symptoms.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Shiroc posted:

Eventually covid can achieve its final form of being so infectious and with reinfection so high that nobody is ever not infected.

thank you, papa nurgle

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/AAAAAAGGHHHH/status/1510653369517543424?s=20&t=hT30ds9LSs1ktYU5pct7DA

Daniel Dales Dick
Apr 8, 2020

”With the coldest winter ever recorded, with snow setting record levels up and down the coast, the Nobel committee should take the Nobel Prize back from Al Gore"

AppleNippleBOB posted:

cw: some talk of suicide between the 7:30 and 8:20 mark
https://twitter.com/AndyBxxx/status/1510514827655262210

Not happy about situation in Shanghai. I don't think I'd seen this posted yet

If Shanghai falls, I don't see how China can keep any city safe. It's probably Beijing's equal in terms of resources and attention from the central government. Pretty grim poo poo! Lol lmao

The Chinese have way less appetite for open biden and let nature take it's course. I wonder what happens if lockdowns start to fail just because of the sheer transmissibility of all these new variants. Can there even be a regime change in China borne of popular discontent? Will we start to see cool zone protests? I can't imagine that.

Daniel Dales Dick
Apr 8, 2020

”With the coldest winter ever recorded, with snow setting record levels up and down the coast, the Nobel committee should take the Nobel Prize back from Al Gore"
Tank man in Tienanmen but it's Xi and a gigantic covid virion, and he gets flattened.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

WrasslorMonkey posted:

loving hell. And if I were to ask anyone in my family about any of this they would be completely clueless. Gonna be great when the next COVID sweeps all of them up again 😩

The WHO just issued the warning yesterday so most people are completely clueless. We’re a bunch of virus nerds and we barely know anything about it, it’s new.

Stereotype posted:

Wait, no, I don’t think that’s right. I think there’s a bunch right now and more on the way.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Stereotype posted:

it really is, friend

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
The Tiananmen Square massacre but instead of the Western world saying "This is a tragedy," they celebrate because HOORAY, CHINA HAS LEARNED TO LIVE WITH THE VIRUS

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
"We must learn to live with the man-eating shark. That little Kintner boy had a comorbidity: a rare genetic condition that made him taste like a harbor seal. We need those summer dollars. Amity, as you know, means endemic. Applebee's will only be closed for 24 hours."

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
friend sent me this, is charging for covid tests going to help detect community spread? not a professional scientist so it's hard to do critical thinking.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
If you can afford it drop $100 every time you think you have allergies.

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Daniel Dales Dick posted:

Tank man in Tienanmen but it's Xi and a gigantic covid virion, and he gets flattened.

I really hope not.

Daniel Dales Dick
Apr 8, 2020

AppleNippleBOB posted:

I really hope not.

Yeah me too, but we've seen this all before and it never turns out great. Maybe they will continue being the exception.

Daniel Dales Dick
Apr 8, 2020

Log growth outstrips our capacity to deal with every aspect of these infections so fast. You need log growth of contact tracers, log growth of hospital beds, log growth of every drat thing. We're so lucky covid isn't a killer like some of its cousins.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

fosborb posted:

it really is, friend

America beat Omicron Ba.1, just like they beat Delta and Alpha and wildtype covid.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
check out this log growth

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
just imagine i either pointed to my crotch or squatted down and curled one out

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Trixie Hardcore posted:

The WHO just issued the warning yesterday so most people are completely clueless. We’re a bunch of virus nerds and we barely know anything about it, it’s new.

Sorry, "any of this" was doing a lot of work there. I meant any variant beyond Omicron (or that Omicron even has subvariants), and that COVID is actually rising all over the place.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Mola Yam posted:

love wastewater reports

Daniel Dales Dick
Apr 8, 2020

Mola Yam posted:

He'll yeah!

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Why are all the news articles I find searching XE random local news, foreign of unknown reputability, or sketchy sounding? Like, I know major outlets don't want to sound the alarm or anything, but it would be nice to find one from something well known or even a direct source from WHO, which I also can't seem to find.

Anyone have a good article that lib friends won't immediately discount due to the source?

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Zantie posted:

Compiled the variants graph for the most recent week of results for WA (week beginning Mar. 20th) though this only contains ~200 sequences and should be considered incomplete.

GISAID is still using the Feb. 28th version of Pango for lineage assignments. I don't expect Washington state to have anything of the more recently assigned things like XE, though I would have expected an update to at least an early-March version. Not sure when they plan to roll the next Pango update in.

lol what happened to the people who said "oh it's good we got the mild omicron variant first so we will be immune to the future variants" or "is omicron the mild variant to get???"

god drat idiots

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

gandlethorpe posted:

Why are all the news articles I find searching XE random local news, foreign of unknown reputability, or sketchy sounding? Like, I know major outlets don't want to sound the alarm or anything, but it would be nice to find one from something well known or even a direct source from WHO, which I also can't seem to find.

Anyone have a good article that lib friends won't immediately discount due to the source?

I only just read about it this morning in an auto translated article. Appears to be a recombination of BA.1 and BA.2 detected in Thailand and Taiwan?

10% increased transmission above BA.2
:rubby:

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

gandlethorpe posted:

Covid fake? Would be great news tbh

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I’m just funnin around, covid real, gimme a sec to look that up in my history

e: https://github.com/cov-lineages/pango-designation/issues/454

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Trixie Hardcore posted:

If you can afford it drop $100 every time you think you have allergies.

no way, I will frankly choose death over this

not least because I never don’t think I have allergies

coke
Jul 12, 2009

gandlethorpe posted:

this is pretty decent

https://assets.publishing.service.g...h2022_FINAL.pdf

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Chamale posted:

Obviously, you should still follow best practices, because getting covid even once is a bad idea and you should aim to have your daily chance of catching it stay below 0.01%. Just makes it even more baffling how many people are Open Biden

I mean, the average person does about 0.03% for the flu. How much harder can it be to avoid this virus?

lucillebluth.gif

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Someone remind me, is XE the new Blackwater brand or the new Comcast brand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Captain Magic posted:

kid still in the NICU, hopefully discharged tomorrow

blows my mind the amount of parents I see coming into a motherfucking hospital which is where the motherfucking covid lives and motherfucking makes itself tenants and aren’t wearing a mask and neither is their kid

and it’s a children’s hospital and if you’re there with your kid it means they’re at risk for at least some loving reason! I love my daughter so much and she is like days old, why are people like this, I hate everyone

Not masked in the NICU? Around here if you violated hygiene in the NICU the nurses would ban your rear end instantly, even before COVID.