Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
here’s the essential piece on it. pay special attention to the “how we did it” sidebar.

https://www.labornotes.org/2022/04/amazon-workers-staten-island-clinch-historic-victory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

ty, that's a good article

and you're right, it's good to have simply SOMEONE known as a boss-beater. even better that it's a person of color

e: interesting that they were using some salts; it's an easy environment to pull that in

JAY ZERO SUM GAME has issued a correction as of 22:41 on Apr 1, 2022

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
“We want to thank Jeff Bezos for going to space, because while he was up there we were organizing a union,” said ALU President Chris Smalls after official results were announced.

lol and also this line should be in history books. it so eloquently summarizes the morbid symptoms of the day

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

kingcobweb posted:

here’s the essential piece on it. pay special attention to the “how we did it” sidebar.

https://www.labornotes.org/2022/04/amazon-workers-staten-island-clinch-historic-victory

This was a great article.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

CoolCab posted:

“We want to thank Jeff Bezos for going to space, because while he was up there we were organizing a union,” said ALU President Chris Smalls after official results were announced.

lol and also this line should be in history books. it so eloquently summarizes the morbid symptoms of the day

that is a fantastic quote hah

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

kingcobweb posted:

rly cool, labornotes is good poo poo. stopped by a union starbucks today and everyone was talking about amazon and giddy. theres amazing energy growing all around my community

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
largest labor win since 1979!

https://twitter.com/yeselson/status/1509947570960932874

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
gently caress yes, gently caress bezos

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
https://twitter.com/KeiPritsker/status/1509934775250964491

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Jesus loving Christ

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Tom Smykowski posted:

gently caress yes, gently caress bezos

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/sarahljaffe/status/1509984045949763591

This is hater behavior lmao

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They should be saying "these youth communists did" to spread propaganda.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

You're much better off not making it a "Great man does great thing" story because the police will just disappear that dude and if he's seen as the driving force of the movement then it really kills the momentum when they do.

See also: Like every leftist movement ever.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

PostNouveau posted:

You're much better off not making it a "Great man does great thing" story because the police will just disappear that dude and if he's seen as the driving force of the movement then it really kills the momentum when they do.

Oh absolutely, it just seems very weird to call him out like this. Obviously unionization isn't a 1 person thing, and more importantly any interview you read with Chris Smalls involves him explicitly saying this was a huge group effort.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

in the US, established union leadership is at low risk of this these days. lawyers have been more effective at crushing unions than guns and thugs over the last 50 years.

there’s pluses and minuses. I’d argue that the lack of a famous leftist leader is a *weakness* of movements like BLM, because it lets grifters and centrists insert themselves and get portrayed by the media as The Leader instead (deray etc).

it all depends on the specific leader. someone like Cesar Chavez can inspire a whole generation of people who have his poster on the wall, but they can also develop a cult of personality which leads to top-down authority instead of bottom-up.

we’re in about step 2 of 9999 in re-unionizing America, I have hope that Smalls will be a great face for the movement, because he seems to be someone that directs praise away from himself and toward workers instead of the inverse.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I actually really liked one of this guy’s books and man oh man do I wish I never discovered his twitter

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I actually really liked one of this guy’s books and man oh man do I wish I never discovered his twitter

liberals are everywhere, careful out there

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/04/01/chris-smalls-amazon-union/

#blessed

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
he’s cool

https://twitter.com/GlennQuickness/status/1510316453689495556

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

hell yea finally some good news

also i think part of why capitalists push the "this guy unionized the workplace" instead of "the workplace unionized" is part of pushing their broader theory of history and power, where it comes from individuals with faces rather than connections between people, which has the secondary control effect of teaching people "if you weren't one of the powerful there's no point in you even showing up" which we hate to our very cores

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

anti-union campaigns heavily lean on "the union will be run by a few, and they'll leave you out" messaging, so they love using individual names of organizers

went through this at guggenheim

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

kingcobweb posted:

in the US, established union leadership is at low risk of this these days. lawyers have been more effective at crushing unions than guns and thugs over the last 50 years.

there’s pluses and minuses. I’d argue that the lack of a famous leftist leader is a *weakness* of movements like BLM, because it lets grifters and centrists insert themselves and get portrayed by the media as The Leader instead (deray etc).

Don't look up what happened to a lot of the prominent organizers of the Ferguson protests.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Don't look up what happened to a lot of the prominent organizers of the Ferguson protests.

of course. but companies haven’t done that to union leaders lately.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

kingcobweb posted:

of course. but companies haven’t done that to union leaders lately.

Right it was directed more to the second part of the quote

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Saw this quoted somewhere, thought it might be of interest here:

How We Organized Amazon

quote:

'We studied the history of how the first major unions were built.
We learned from the Industrial Workers of the World, and even more from the building of the Congress of Industrial Organizations.
We read William Z. Foster’s Organizing Methods in the Steel Industry (a must-read, seriously).'
- Justine Medina, member of the ALU organizing committee and a packer at the JFK8 Amazon warehouse.

Organizing Methods in the Steel Industry by William Z. Foster. Workers Library Publishers, New York. October, 1936.
A practical manual for union activists still potent today, William Z. Fosters' 'how to' guide for organizing workers in steel from the comrade who led the Great 1919 Steel Strike.

Contents: Introduction, I) General, II) Organization Forms and Functions, Structure of Organizing Forces, Structure of the Union, Functions and Tasks, III) Mass Agitation, Slogans, Publicity and Printed Matter, Radio, Mass Meetings Demonstrations etc, IV) Mass Organization, Individual Recruitment, Open Recruiting, Recruitment in Struggle, V) Special Group Work, American Whites, Negroes, Foreign-Born, Youth, Women, VI) Company Unions, VII) Special Organizational Work, Unemployed - W.P.A., Fraternal Organizations, Churches, Other Organizations. 24 pages.

PDF of original pamphlet: https://archive.org/download/OrganizingMethodsInTheSteelIndustry/OMSI_text.pdf
Online text of pamphlet: https://www.marxists.org/archive/foster/1936/10/organizing-methods-steel-industry/index.htm

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

helllll yeah Amazon. not much to add except that this rules, although I am nervous that Amazon is going to find some fedsoc ghola to declare that the NLRA is unconstitutional

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

ekuNNN posted:

Saw this quoted somewhere, thought it might be of interest here:

How We Organized Amazon

- Justine Medina, member of the ALU organizing committee and a packer at the JFK8 Amazon warehouse.

Organizing Methods in the Steel Industry by William Z. Foster. Workers Library Publishers, New York. October, 1936.
A practical manual for union activists still potent today, William Z. Fosters' 'how to' guide for organizing workers in steel from the comrade who led the Great 1919 Steel Strike.

Contents: Introduction, I) General, II) Organization Forms and Functions, Structure of Organizing Forces, Structure of the Union, Functions and Tasks, III) Mass Agitation, Slogans, Publicity and Printed Matter, Radio, Mass Meetings Demonstrations etc, IV) Mass Organization, Individual Recruitment, Open Recruiting, Recruitment in Struggle, V) Special Group Work, American Whites, Negroes, Foreign-Born, Youth, Women, VI) Company Unions, VII) Special Organizational Work, Unemployed - W.P.A., Fraternal Organizations, Churches, Other Organizations. 24 pages.

PDF of original pamphlet: https://archive.org/download/OrganizingMethodsInTheSteelIndustry/OMSI_text.pdf
Online text of pamphlet: https://www.marxists.org/archive/foster/1936/10/organizing-methods-steel-industry/index.htm

Recommend everyone read this, it's short like half an hour, and includes some really good stuff. I'm actually rather struck mostly with how miserable my own union is by contrast and how little legitimacy it holds with its own workers. Its fun that some of the very outdated stuff can be updated trivially e.g. Radio -> Twitter, boxing matches -> volleyball.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tulip posted:

Recommend everyone read this, it's short like half an hour, and includes some really good stuff. I'm actually rather struck mostly with how miserable my own union is by contrast and how little legitimacy it holds with its own workers. Its fun that some of the very outdated stuff can be updated trivially e.g. Radio -> Twitter, boxing matches -> volleyball.

Most US unions are hollowed out loser orgs that exist basically to funnel money to corrupt leadership staff and offset employer cost of health insurance. Big part of the battle as I see it of the coming re-interest of US working class in unionization will be getting people to reckon with the crappy history of whatever national unit they're joining and getting rank-and-file people to fight against the old guard. It's why something independent like ALU is so totally exciting, no burden, no baggage, just an open field to carve a path through history

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

In Training posted:

Most US unions are hollowed out loser orgs that exist basically to funnel money to corrupt leadership staff and offset employer cost of health insurance. Big part of the battle as I see it of the coming re-interest of US working class in unionization will be getting people to reckon with the crappy history of whatever national unit they're joining and getting rank-and-file people to fight against the old guard. It's why something independent like ALU is so totally exciting, no burden, no baggage, just an open field to carve a path through history

I mean my union's certainly guilty of that. They've put up virtually no fight to maintain COVID safety, and our newsletter mostly covers victories won by the SBA and PBA, unions that 1) are not the union that the newsletter is for 2) do not overlap with the membership of our union and 3) their goals are usually bad for the rest of us.

My coworkers publicly wonder why they're paying dues for a union that doesn't show up or fight for anything, and I don't actually have any counter-evidence at this point.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Chris Smalls is cool but absolutely he's being set up to be targetted by anti-labor folks, hope he stays safe

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tulip posted:

I mean my union's certainly guilty of that. They've put up virtually no fight to maintain COVID safety, and our newsletter mostly covers victories won by the SBA and PBA, unions that 1) are not the union that the newsletter is for 2) do not overlap with the membership of our union and 3) their goals are usually bad for the rest of us.

My coworkers publicly wonder why they're paying dues for a union that doesn't show up or fight for anything, and I don't actually have any counter-evidence at this point.

Yup. Now think about the generation of say, auto workers for the Big 3 post 2009 who keep paying dues to UAW as their "second tier" status gets stripped of benefits, pensions, health coverage, scheduling protections etc. It's not a surprise that americans dont really like unions since the popular perception of them for non-union members is disseminated to them by anti-worker media, and the common experience for union members is fairly demoralizing.

there are of course exceptions, and these exceptions should be the spark that motivates people to get involved. teachers strike wave in 2018, UMWA holding a strike line for over a year with leadership saying they have the funds to fuel it for 5 more, new teamsters leadership that ran on a platform of "we are going to strike over the UPS contract in 2023", rank and file caucuses like MORE in UFT supporting anti-leadership actions during omicron surge to counteract concessionary language, etc.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I could fail to stop Starbucks from unionizing for $7.9 million. Where do I send resume.

https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1511700908513632259

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
W

https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1512137271700508672

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
So what is the next step in the process after a union wins an election?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

contract negotiation

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

kingcobweb posted:

contract negotiation

And/or Executives screaming in rage/throwing a bespoke artisanal stapler across their office.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

re: corruption in unions, I am constantly reminded of a conversation I had at an organizing meeting about 4 years ago. I asked the group what they think should be the labor movement’s priority: increasing the number of unionized workers in America or increasing the militancy of the unions we already have. 100% of union people present said the latter.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

CoolCab posted:

This is a fantastic quote.

Solidarity forever, I loving love it that there is now an Amazon union and I hope it's only the first step of many.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

PostNouveau posted:

details vary behind the scenes (selecting a bargaining committee on union side, etc) but as far as the law is concerned, both sides must negotiate a contract in good faith. attorneys from both sides get together and schedule proper bargaining sessions, and you hashbit out. larger unions will begin with boilerplate stuff (grievance and arbitration, recognition, etc) but everything is up in the air

management is required by the NLRB to negotiate wages, benefits, and working conditions; what ‘working conditions’ entails can be contentious, but it’s fairly broad.

… both sides have one year from certification to come to a contract before the union can be ‘decertified’ by the bargaining unit (the workers) vis a simple majority vote. however contract negotiations can go on as long as necessary. first contract negotiations can sometimes take more than a year. largely depends upon how combative management wants to be

union busting can enter a whole new phase with contract negotiations, as you might imagine, and it can be successful. about half of new bargaining units never get a first contract.

organizing and getting a union is hard. getting a first contract is harder.

best thing we’ve ever done at my workplace, though