Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

The gold situation is a tricky one to balance, because we can currently see why gold ammo is kinda needed in the game because good loving luck trying to pen a hull down Kranvagn, and how good that is for the health of the game. There shouldn't be tanks that are practically or literally invulnerable from the front. I know "just flank them", but thanks to WG's awesome map design that's often practically or literally impossible.

Honestly the solution is, and always has been IMO, weak spots. Real weak spots. Weak spots that may not be very easy to hit, but if you do, you pen them. But for some reason WG don't seem to agree and either there are no weak spots, or the weak spots are so loving huge and obvious as to make the tank practically unplayable in its intended role.

Before the HD model rework, many tanks did in fact have multiple weakpoints. A classic example of it is the minigun port on the front of the tiger 2. It allowed even tier 5 vehicles to pen it frontally with credit shells as long as they knew about the weakness. This was true of many tanks back then. Minigun ports and driver openings were a common secondary weakpoint to the lfp and cupola. Oh, and a fun gotcha: the T-29's ears used to be a weakpoint as well, but that was lopped off the armor model hit box long before hd tanks happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Aww back in the day of playing T5 and fighting KV's by shooting them in the machinegun port weak spot.

RIP WGing for removal knowledge about tanks.

Orv
May 4, 2011
God I don't remember how to play this at all.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

You need to left click on tanks with a red outline.

Orv
May 4, 2011

McGavin posted:

You need to left click on tanks with a red outline.

Instructions unclear, arty'd four friendlies.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Orv posted:

God I don't remember how to play this at all.

All the old maps changed and there are a bunch of new ones. Relearning all the maps is like 90% of the work of getting back into the game. But it is a lot of work to relearn them all. My suggestion for relearning the maps would be to pick one kind of tank and learn how to play that type on all the maps first, then start branching out into other types, since each type of tank generally plays a different area on each map.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
There's actually a map familiarization mode that might be helpful. You earn a pittance for completion of each stage but it's *sorta* helpful?

Just be wary that while you can force the AI to whiff their shots, if you let them they will dome you through weak spots and cupolas like bosses. Nothing worse than dying to the AI.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah I think it's pretty much all map and tank knowledge that's getting me. Can't push into this tank with these upgrades, can side scrape with this but not with that, don't go here on this map with this tank. Definitely need to adjust to the spotting system again too, can't push over hills to get someone on the other side basically ever.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Pubs are bad now, but they're definitely not as bad as they were in 2013. Most of them have discovered where the 2 key is and aren't afraid to press it.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

The gold situation is a tricky one to balance, because we can currently see why gold ammo is kinda needed in the game because good loving luck trying to pen a hull down Kranvagn, and how good that is for the health of the game. There shouldn't be tanks that are practically or literally invulnerable from the front. I know "just flank them", but thanks to WG's awesome map design that's often practically or literally impossible.

Honestly the solution is, and always has been IMO, weak spots. Real weak spots. Weak spots that may not be very easy to hit, but if you do, you pen them. But for some reason WG don't seem to agree and either there are no weak spots, or the weak spots are so loving huge and obvious as to make the tank practically unplayable in its intended role.

The weak spots are also difficult to balance. We end up with situations where some tanks have good armor but huge weak spots (e.g. US cupolas) thus negating any of their armor. I've recently complained about the tier 7 Yoh tank for example, which is supposed to be an American-style hull-down fighter but has a *huge* cupola and 40 mm of turret roof armor that can be overmatched by Soviet tanks at that tier. Keep in mind that this is a vehicle that is in the same tech tree alongside the T29 at the same tier.... The T110E5 is another notorious example, with good turret armor except for that massive tumor that can generally be penetrated by tier 9 AP shells, and good upper hull armor but a large, thin lower plate.

So then as Juffo mentioned, you have other tanks that used to have weak spots where you'd expect them, e.g. in the channel cut out of the hull for a MG mount, but then they were removed for ~reasons~.

And then, on top of all that, you have the RNG factor: despite the presence or absence of weak spots, you have to roll for a hit or miss, then make a pen roll (+/- 25%), then if you pen you make a damage roll (another +/- 25%,) and then finally you make a critical roll. So all of this boils down to a game where they have to implement weak spots, you have to know about them, and the game has to let you hit & penetrate. It's all a shitshow, and WG can't figure out how to balance anything in this game.

Atomizer fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Apr 3, 2022

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Aren't the penetration & damage variations +/-25%? I think I'd poo poo the bed every time I saw a Skorpion if it was capable of doing 735dmg with a possible 372pen using mere AP.

In any case, the game is indeed a complete RNG shitshow of misery and the removal of genuine weakspots is by far one of the dumbest loving things that has happened to this game.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Atomizer posted:

The weak spots are also difficult to balance. We end up with situations where some tanks have good armor but huge weak spots (e.g. US cupolas) thus negating any of their armor.

Yeah, that (and the rest of the post) is a good point. The Type 61 was a nightmare to play because it has a god drat turret sized mini turret on top of the regular turret, and that thing has such bad armour that a T7 can just spit through it.

Good luck playing hull down or hiding anywhere!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

This week's *NA* WoT code: NOFOOLING

Rental Bisonte C45 for 3 days
Access to a Mission
5x Personal Reserves: +300% to Crew Experience for 1 hour

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Aren't the penetration & damage variations +/-25%? I think I'd poo poo the bed every time I saw a Skorpion if it was capable of doing 735dmg with a possible 372pen using mere AP.

In any case, the game is indeed a complete RNG shitshow of misery and the removal of genuine weakspots is by far one of the dumbest loving things that has happened to this game.

You're correct, it's +/- 25%, for a 50% range; my mistake, I corrected my post. Anyways, a 50% variation is indeed particularly obscene, especially for a game they really wanted to succeed as an ~esports~ title (that should revolve around player skill, not luck.) If your 400-average shell hits for 300 and the enemy's hits for 500, well that's a huge discrepancy that isn't enjoyable at all and has nothing to do with player ability.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah, that (and the rest of the post) is a good point. The Type 61 was a nightmare to play because it has a god drat turret sized mini turret on top of the regular turret, and that thing has such bad armour that a T7 can just spit through it.

Good luck playing hull down or hiding anywhere!

You know, I had the Type 61 in mind (probably because you mentioned it in the thread recently) but didn't use it as an example because it doesn't really have great turret armor anywhere. You can punch right through the mantlet with typical tier 10 250-260 pen AP shells, and around that the rest of the turret front is like 100 mm. You'd have to get really unlucky not to pen (e.g. by hitting the horizontal part of the mantlet that curves back for like 300 mm effective armor); the huge <100 mm tumor on the top is just salt in the wound.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Wargaming.net is completely getting out of Russia and Belarus. I have no clue what this means for the games in the future.

https://www.stockwatch.com.cy/en/article/emporika-nea/wargaming-announces-decision-leave-russia-and-belarus

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Apparently the Russian employees learned about it from the press release on the website.

fatherboxx posted:

Holy poo poo

My friend who is pretty high in Russian branch of Wargaming said he learnt of it from the website, extremely abrupt.

(Belo)Russian warship truly fucks off

As an aside they had an analytics division in Ukraine who obviously went rogue with internal emails when the war started

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

It's gonna be interesting to see what this practically means going forward. Did they bring in the people from Lesta to keep working on World of Warships, for instance, or will they be essentially starting up a new studio for the purpose?

E: to clarify a bit more, World of Warships was apparently 100% a Lesta joint that WG were just publishing. So it'll be very interesting to see what this means for the game going forward. I don't think too many people will be crying if Lesta's employees never touch the game again because jesus loving christ they've done some dumb poo poo, but of course it's entirely possible that the alternative will be worse.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Two more useless On Tracks to tanks I already have. :argh:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

McGavin posted:

Two more useless On Tracks to tanks I already have. :argh:

Oh hey, that might actually persuade me to play my Leo PT A.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Oh hey, that might actually persuade me to play my Leo PT A.

You needed a reason to play one of the best t9 mediums?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

JuffoWup posted:

You needed a reason to play one of the best t9 mediums?

I generally need a reason to play the *game*.

I'm a bitter EVE vet and I'm a bitter WoT CW vet, who gets primaried like a motherfucker because my WN8 and win rate are far higher than what I'm capable of now.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I have come to the realization that win rate means absolutely nothing in this game. I was bad when I started out on the Asia server. Now I am consistently posting 2.5 k average damage every day. Over the last 2 days, I have had 1 win out of 30ish games. Last game I had 6 kills 4.6k damage and we still lost 14-9 with me being alive at the end. I am never going to get above 45% w/r and it loving sucks.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Bahahah it continues

2k+ damage which was top damage for my team by 1500

we lost 0-15

I should have delt with the ping and stuck to my NA account. Asia full of garbage.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Should you ever get around to grinding the EBR line, do yourself a favour and skip the Lynx 6x6 with blueprints.
The low tier shitters are easy enough to grind through, but the Lynx is pitted nonstop against 2-3 riced out EBR75s and Even90s, who are ofc much stronger tanks to begin with.
The EBR 90 is easy peasy even stock, because the competing tier 9 lights are not exactly setting the world on fire either :)

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

sauer kraut posted:

Should you ever get around to grinding the EBR line, do yourself a favour and skip the Lynx 6x6 with blueprints.
The low tier shitters are easy enough to grind through, but the Lynx is pitted nonstop against 2-3 riced out EBR75s and Even90s, who are ofc much stronger tanks to begin with.
The EBR 90 is easy peasy even stock, because the competing tier 9 lights are not exactly setting the world on fire either :)

That's exactly what I have been doing.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

WoT's 11th anniversary discounts have started! :homebrew:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

They're selling the Borat on the EU servers again.

Also, loving hell, I can not buy a win on the T25/2.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

It's definitely a weekend.

McGavin posted:

WoT's 11th anniversary discounts have started! :homebrew:
Finally I can start progress on the Yoh li-...

Oh, discounts don't apply there.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Also, loving hell, I can not buy a win on the T25/2.

I loving despised that thing. Everything about it just felt utterly underwhelming.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah, I have a lot of time on my hands again for WoT and wanted some gold (for a T-103) and premium time so.. they got me good.
Paid the 93€ like the dirty suckpubbie I am.
The Bourrasque gun sure is interesting. After I put a turbo on it there was no going back, so I play it like as <dangerous> scout.
The T-103 is also very nice, I can't believe how much that turret bounces.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 9, 2022

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Got a ten-battle rental of the Chrysler K.

I already have the Chrysler K GF. You know, the one available for bonds.

Wargaming. WARGAMING.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

sauer kraut posted:

The Bourrasque gun sure is interesting. After I put a turbo on it there was no going back, so I play it like as <dangerous> scout.

Yeah that's the way to do it. You have drat near light tank level concealment, you're extremely fast and have good view range. Then when you spot an isolated target you can swoop in and blap them for 800 damage and run away before they know what's happening.

It's a filthy tank and its stats are only held in check by the legions of pubbies who have no loving idea how to play the thing.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Raged posted:

I have come to the realization that win rate means absolutely nothing in this game. I was bad when I started out on the Asia server. Now I am consistently posting 2.5 k average damage every day. Over the last 2 days, I have had 1 win out of 30ish games. Last game I had 6 kills 4.6k damage and we still lost 14-9 with me being alive at the end. I am never going to get above 45% w/r and it loving sucks.

It only really means anything when you are grinding tanks and need that extra 50% xp and the multipliers for winning.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Absolute monster game in the Pudel! Nearly 5k damage!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Holy poo poo, Good job!

Now upload the replay.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

MariusLecter posted:

Holy poo poo, Good job!

Now upload the replay.

Yeah, I know, but wotreplays is down for maintenance. :shrug:

I didn't move around much the entire game, just stayed in a good spot while my team slowly collapsed and the enemies drove forwards out in the open.

Absolutely clowned that M-II-Y though. He was a pretty decent player, but must not have had optics or something.

I'll post the replay as soon as I can.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 9, 2022

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

https://i.imgur.com/uHY1nLD.mp4

And final battle in the Easy 8 to cap off battle pass points for the vehicle.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

McGavin posted:

Absolute monster game in the Pudel! Nearly 5k damage!

:golfclap: loving hell! When things go well, they go very well!

I love that tank, and Panther-types in general. Shite 45% WR in it but closing on two marks. The Bretagne and VK30.02M have ~55% WR each but only barely above one mark.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I'm thinking whatever part of Wargaming looks after chat bans is no longer employed. The past 4 days I have had 6 wins out of 50ish games and I have let the worst of the teams know how I have felt about them. I should have eaten a chat ban by now.

The good news is I have had so few wins I have almost got all my MOE for the T-25/2

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
The St. Emil is such a miserable experience. It was definitely designed as punishment. I think I will give people a free shot to my side armor when I face them in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

TracerM17 posted:

The St. Emil is such a miserable experience. It was definitely designed as punishment. I think I will give people a free shot to my side armor when I face them in the future.

The atrociously low ammo count is the final kick in the teeth.