Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

YaketySass posted:

Vampires as sexual metaphor and thus easy as hell to make queer is pretty old, but OG Dracula is an aggressively heterosexual character, especially compared to the other foundational texts of the genre like Carmilla or The Vampyre. Dracula's more of a generic stand-in for everything Other to polite Victorian society and its "modernity", so he's an immigrant but also an outdated aristocrat, a rapist and a symbol of superstition, etc...

If the novel was written today Dracula would 100% be a rich Muslim guy who enslaves women into his harem with his occult powers, that's what european visions of the predatory, backward aristocrat looks like today.

Van Helsing would be a New Atheist/Rationalist or something, idk I haven't given it much thought.

Techbro Van Helsing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I wonder if there's another dutch name to use as the anti-dracula hero of science and progress

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

in the context of "protecting humans" you could go with one of the various ways to spell "van Dyk"

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Honestly I think this is the main reason. I've been trying to find other ones but, among online people, it seems to come down to the Joker stuff.

Also Jared Leto is a good actor, by the way.

The Joker is powerful chaos magic - inhabiting his skin is playing with fire. Leto knew the risks!

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Salem’s lot is a great Vampire story because Stephen King accidentally wrote a story about how predatory capitalists sucked the life out of small town America.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I prefer sassy netflix dracula who trolls renfield into insanity and dies from sucking on a lady with cancer

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Wow, President Joe Biden!

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Farm Frenzy posted:

jared leto is extremely funny because hes a classic method acting rear end in a top hat who physically destroyed his body over the course of several roles desperately trying to get an oscar, and then he pretended to be driven insane very badly playing the joker in a movie thats in itself funny because its bad, and also he's a pedophile

yup, people think he sucks because he goes full method for absolute poo poo movies/roles —— case in point, here's another one for the files

https://twitter.com/mikeryan/status/1510993240178188291

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Salem’s lot is a great Vampire story because Stephen King accidentally wrote a story about how predatory capitalists sucked the life out of small town America.

Salem's Lot rules hard.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

yup, people think he sucks because he goes full method for absolute poo poo movies/roles —— case in point, here's another one for the files

I don't care whether he is doing this sincerely or ironically, it is very funny

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I love Jared Leto's Twisted Vision so much

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I also like Daniel Espinosa's incredibly diplomatic way of acknowledging that SONY hacked whatever movie he made to pieces before it went to theaters lol:

quote:

Again, like I said when we started, I am a huge fan of Safe House. I’m huge fan of Life. I’m sure you’ve seen the reviews for this. This doesn’t feel like one of your movies and I’m curious, was this what you turned in? Is there something else? Because it feels like at some points, there’s some scenes missing. I don’t believe for a second this is what you turned in.

These movies are big ideas…

Because I think you are a very good director, and I think there are some decisions that were made that weren’t always in your hands here.

You’re very sweet. You’re very kind. I think that I work at my best if I get a lot of decision power. But, in this movies, they’re big movies that have a lot of people’s interest. It’s different processes every time.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I don't care whether he is doing this sincerely or ironically, it is very funny

enjoy these too then:

the time he "mailed anal beads and used condoms" to the cast of suicide squad

the time he put on 70 pounds to play mark david chapman in a move that grossed $187,488 (no missing zeroes here)

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

hailing a cab every time I need to take a dump like oscar wilde

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

it's mentioned in one of those leto stories i linked above, but the olivier/hoffman story from marathon man is so funny

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

it's mentioned in one of those leto stories i linked above, but the olivier/hoffman story from marathon man is so funny

lol

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

rekt. more like lawrence lolivier.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
studios trying to make me give a poo poo that their lead was a method actor who inconvenienced 500 people for 8 months so ill see their bad movies is a lol

i think a bunch of people are coming forward about leto being a sex pest too?

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
all worth it because his portrayals are so good

Im being told that the portrayals are not good

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

I can't imagine how devastated I would be if one of the best people in my profession told me I was a stupid try-hard but you'd bet your rear end I'd learn from that

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

dustin hoffman is also a very well-regarded actor. it's a funny story but i don't think it reveals any unique truth + it's not like classically trained theatrical actors were famous for their down-to-earth ways either.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

josh04 posted:

dustin hoffman is also a very well-regarded actor. it's a funny story but i don't think it reveals any unique truth + it's not like classically trained theatrical actors were famous for their down-to-earth ways either.

I mean, there's something to "you can psychologically and physically abuse yourself and others or you could just like... pretend"

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

in anticipation of playing a walking dead I've been turtle heading a gigantic poo poo for 72 straight ho- ohhhh uh oh GET MY CRUTCHES I'VE FLOWN TOO CLOSE TO THE SUN

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1510998654940815362?s=20&t=OI_WrbKgcFAMy_BRJUI9EQ
:sickos:

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I can at least understand the thought process behind what Dustin Hoffman was doing there - if you're trying to portray someone who is under that level of duress, I can see how you might try to get in that headspace by making yourself intentionally uncomfortable. There is such a leap though between "making yourself intentionally physically uncomfortable can help you portray a character who is in pain" and the type of method acting where you're sending your colleagues used condoms and slowing down production so that you can spend an hour pretending to limp back and forth to the bathroom because you think it'll enhance your performance of Dr. Acula

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

wtf ever happened to imagining your dog dying before sad scenes everything is so athletic now

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
The reason people put up with Daniel Day-Lewis' method nonsense is because he's actually good at acting and has the decency to just text Sally Field in character as Lincoln instead of expecting her to communicate via parchment and courier.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Trixie Hardcore posted:

The reason people put up with Daniel Day-Lewis' method nonsense is because he's actually good at acting and has the decency to just text Sally Field in character as Lincoln instead of expecting her to communicate via parchment and courier.

EXACTLY. Thank you, I guess what I'm getting at more than anything is: I don't buy that you're doing this to enhance your Morbius performance, Leto. I think you have some weird psychological kink where you get off on making others affirm your delusions because if they say anything they'll get fired.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
The clear difference between that Dustin Hoffman anecdote and Leto being a monstrous rear end in a top hat is that Hoffman staying up for days doesn't (necessarily) hurt anyone else.

If Leto prepared for the Joker roll by nailing thumbtacks into his ballsack I would be cheering him on, so long as, eg, he wasn't forcing anyone to watch him do it, Louis CK style. Conversely, sending a used condom to my coworker is not method acting, it's sexual harassment

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

here is a video of Lady Gaga going down a method-acting rabbit-hole, while Salma Hayek listens in complete bemusement

https://streamable.com/2nxja2

I apparently don't know how to get SA to embed Streamable videos so it's just a link, sorry

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

drat horror queefs posted:

The clear difference between that Dustin Hoffman anecdote and Leto being a monstrous rear end in a top hat is that Hoffman staying up for days doesn't (necessarily) hurt anyone else.

If Leto prepared for the Joker roll by nailing thumbtacks into his ballsack I would be cheering him on, so long as, eg, he wasn't forcing anyone to watch him do it, Louis CK style. Conversely, sending a used condom to my coworker is not method acting, it's sexual harassment

Right, I mean Heath Ledger did equally "cringe" things to prepare for his role as Joker but at least he kept until himself and wasn't waking Christian Bale up at 3 am just to moon him (as far as we know)

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I'm reminded of this video breaking down why Les Misérables 2012 was so bad and it turns out beyond the bad directorial choices some of the actors decided to go method and massively dehydrate and torture themselves to get in character which is why they're all off key and sound thirsty as poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ikqU6G6Xgs

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Maybe Leto is so good at his job that now Dr. Morbius is his true face, and it's "Jared Leto" that's the lie...

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

always worth remembering that there's 'method acting' where the actor gets into the role by being weird and there's 'method acting' where the studio wants you to know the new batman villain is a real sicko

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I mean, there's something to "you can psychologically and physically abuse yourself and others or you could just like... pretend"

i find it hard to believe, having known actors, that olivier was that glib about the whole thing. he probably just thought hoffman was wasting the effort on something as gauche as cinema.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
it's very problematic that in his visions Ben Sisko envisioned Quark as a jewish guy.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

mfer gave himself gout lmao

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

it's very problematic that in his visions Ben Sisko envisioned Quark as a jewish guy.

it turns out he's space moses so it's ok

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

wasn't waking Christian Bale up at 3 am just to moon him (as far as we know)

This would kind of own, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

drat horror queefs posted:

This would kind of own, though

Christian Bale would've beat Leto's rear end for half the poo poo he pulled