Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Toto is the least handsome of the team principals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Would

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Otmar though :love::love::love:

sprotto
Jul 16, 2017

i wish guenther would fok smash my backdoor in

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
F1 heard that people were tired of the DRS gamesmanship so they decided to do, uh, this

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

opposable thumbs.db posted:

F1 heard that people were tired of the DRS gamesmanship so they decided to do, uh, this

"if we put enough lipstick on this pig it'll eventually look good!"

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

F1 heard that people were tired of the DRS gamesmanship

I mean, I would rather good racing without it being gamey, but I don’t hate this? It makes for exciting multi-lap fights and maybe if some other cars/drivers can close up to the front, we could get four or more cars all vying for position against each other. That’s what we want, isn’t it?

That said the 4 DRS zone look there is a little nuts, lol. It feels like maybe you could even back off the DRS a bit, maintain *some* of the advantage that brings the good fights, but minimize the “slowing to a crawl at the detection” weirdness.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I mean, I would rather good racing without it being gamey, but I don’t hate this? It makes for exciting multi-lap fights and maybe if some other cars/drivers can close up to the front, we could get four or more cars all vying for position against each other. That’s what we want, isn’t it?

That said the 4 DRS zone look there is a little nuts, lol. It feels like maybe you could even back off the DRS a bit, maintain *some* of the advantage that brings the good fights, but minimize the “slowing to a crawl at the detection” weirdness.

Yeah I personally didn't really mind the mind games at all. I've heard discussion on podcasts about the possibilities of tweaking DRS lengths at various circuits which would be potentially good. You could also, for cases like Jeddah T27-1, have the DRS detection point past the apex of the turn, when drivers are already on the throttle. It looks like detection zone 1 in the new Albert Park does this.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Twice the places for Max to get suckered.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Anime Store Adventure posted:

its at the point where I think it would just be better to either allow active aero completely or ban the rear wing full stop. I think holding it as this DRS gimmick doesn't do the sport many favours, especially when you can game its activation

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
just f1 is all about rushing to solve the problems of the last generation right after introducing new regs

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

1 detection zones for 2 drs parts? so if you overtake with the first drs you get another drs after?

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Dictator. posted:

1 detection zones for 2 drs parts? so if you overtake with the first drs you get another drs after?

Red Warrior posted:

Twice the places for Max to get suckered.

nerox
May 20, 2001

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

my brother and his wife have this book, it's amazing, either everything is in gelatin, or it looks like this dick banana candle salad:

Every page is a new horror.

Somehow either easter or christmas back pre-pandemic, my wife and I got assigned to make some ancient recipe of a congealed strawberry salad because the old people wanted it. I believe it was made with strawberry jello, cheddar cheese, crushed pineapple, and an entire jar of mayonnaise. You mixed all that poo poo up and dumped it in a casserole dish and let it congeal in the fridge.

I don't think anyone under the age of 60 would touch it.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Dictator. posted:

No because the car overtaking with DRS in zone 1 and 3 still has DRS in zone 2 and 4 so should be able to pull away and break the tow before the next detection zone.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

a pipe smoking dog posted:

No because the car overtaking with DRS in zone 1 and 3 still has DRS in zone 2 and 4 so should be able to pull away and break the tow before the next detection zone.

I'm glad they put this in after completely overhauling the cars to allow them to follow more closely lol

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

nerox posted:

Somehow either easter or christmas back pre-pandemic, my wife and I got assigned to make some ancient recipe of a congealed strawberry salad because the old people wanted it. I believe it was made with strawberry jello, cheddar cheese, crushed pineapple, and an entire jar of mayonnaise. You mixed all that poo poo up and dumped it in a casserole dish and let it congeal in the fridge.

Please post the recipe, I'm going to make this

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

nerox posted:

Is this one of those weird tell me you're from the mid-west without telling me you're from the mid-west...

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'm saddened that we will not be able to hear Lewis getting in there this year.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Kirios posted:

Don't give up hope! There's so much car yet to be raced. Bet your bottom dollar there will be thanks given to everyone back at the factory, and of course who can forget about the fans

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
I for one enjoy giving myself future brain tape worm

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Kirios posted:

If you go to ur mom's house you can prob hear it.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

italian quid posted:

I'm glad they put this in after completely overhauling the cars to allow them to follow more closely lol

Yeah I have no idea why DRS is still a thing if cars are supposed to be able to overtake anyway now.

nerox
May 20, 2001

your friend wicka posted:

Please post the recipe, I'm going to make this

I memory holed this thing it was so gross making it, the post I quoted just brought it up to the surface. It was similar to this https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/strawberry-congealed-salad but didn't have cream cheese or sour cream, just a poo poo load of mayo. I forgot it had chopped pecans in it that looked like little animal turds suspended in it.

refleks posted:

Is this one of those weird tell me you're from the mid-west without telling me you're from the mid-west...

We do nasty gelatin things in Georgia too man. I remember my great-grandma making Tomato Aspics, which is like everything good about a bloody mary except instead of booze in it, you put gelatin in it and make it in a decorative mold!

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Yeah I have no idea why DRS is still a thing if cars are supposed to be able to overtake anyway now.

I don't think they're quite there yet but my point was more specifically if they want the cars to be able to follow closely why are they tying multiple DRS zones to one activation to try and allow another car to break away.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

drs is a level of stupid on par with fan boost

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

It should be against the rules to remind me Formula E exists

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

im just happy that the brits with microphones always seem to have mouths full of mashed eel or blood soup so they're always calling it "formula ree" because of the sound the cars and fans make.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

drs is a level of stupid on par with fan boost

fan boost is great.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Just partner it with Nintendo and make it real life Mario Kart. FIA should stop pretending that's not the end game of it.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

agreed, there should be more things fans can vote on during races imo.

the quicker we get to future racing things like giant neon boost pads on the track and car's being able to shoot lazers or EMPs at each other the better

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

agreed, there should be more things fans can vote on during races imo.

lottery per race for one fan per team to be able to complain to the race director during the race

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I want to be able to vote for Mike Krack as the engineer of the day

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Crain posted:

Just partner it with Nintendo and make it real life Mario Kart. FIA should stop pretending that's not the end game of it.

F-Zero is the real end game but those cowards won't do it

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
DRS zones are so the silly tits don't use it everywhere and send themselves into a wall when following other cars, which is why it's allowed everywhere in quali, right? iirc this entire anti-drs Zone narrative was started by Brundle and his lust for death.

Oh but of course he's the first result on google https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/grosjean-to-miss-fp2-after-drs-induced-crash-1056561/3136059/

https://www.planetf1.com/news/teams-to-discuss-drs-after-ericssons-crash/

https://twitter.com/F1/status/1037277524101713920

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
The way they have it in Melbourne there, yes it's 4 zones but really it's two pairs of zones, which probably add up to less track length than China or Austin or Abu Dhabi's two zones. I will not be spending any time verifying this assertion.

To be honest as long as DRS isn't a guaranteed pass every single time I don't really mind. It definitely can go that way, and that's a risk at new or revamped tracks, but you can always reduce it for future events if it goes that badly wrong.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

learnincurve posted:

which is why it's allowed everywhere in quali, right?

I think it's allowed to be used in every DRS zone, every lap, during quali, not unlimited around the entire track.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Yes, it's still just in the zones, you can see the green lights for it flicker on some of the onboards

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

learnincurve posted:

DRS zones are so the silly tits don't use it everywhere and send themselves into a wall when following other cars, which is why it's allowed everywhere in quali, right? iirc this entire anti-drs Zone narrative was started by Brundle and his lust for death.

What

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Aphex- posted:

I want to be able to vote for Mike Krack as the engineer of the day

Absolutely uncalled for.

Mike Krack is a team principal