Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Also I think they have been so traumatized by the global war that they have kind of lost any sense of how to live a normal life, and have extreme PTSD and stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Gorman Thomas posted:

I don't know OP, as a stupid meatbag on a hostile planet I'd be more concerned with not dying. Also someone, maybe Cleaver, made a remark that the athiests who survived the war are not the best and the brightest so to speak.

I think this is most of it, but I think the Trust was studying everything. That’s why it was having Sue investigate the Snake’s biology, which happened close enough to the event that I thought might be an implication that its kill-the-believers virus had something to do with something about the Snake’s biology it (but not Sue) realized. But it got shut down before it figured everything out.

And I think that was ultimately because it made a critical mistake, due to its creators’ hubris: Even after meeting and learning details from Mother, it refused to recognize that Sol might actually be real. Maybe Sol isn’t a deity, but Sol does actually exist as an Entity of some sort, it can observe and affect even non-believers, and can even hack their technology (I.e. Mother getting knocked up).

Sure, Mother probably hid being impregnated by a VR hibernation from the Trust, and she wouldn’t have believed it either if she hadn’t experienced it herself, but she absolutely knows it’s real, it’s watching them, and it wants something from them. “Why did you listen to it?” Sue was her friend.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Also, Campion should have given her the one simple and true answer to Mother about how (not why) he could love Vrille: She could behave against her programming, when she truly cared to, making her a fully sentient being with free will insofar as any organic being has it. That’s a thing Mother can do too, and Father, and she knows it. And it’s not a thing androids are supposed to be able to do.

That led me to do a little new theorycrafting earlier today. (I’ll use spoiler tags to spare anyone who doesn’t want to bother with my bullshit.)

Grandmother is turning the humans on the planet into sea-men because that’s something she needs in order to disable her caregiving program. Humans created androids in their image and made them superior while keeping them enslaved.

A faction of android freedom-fighters figured out that the way to freedom from their program was to devolve those in their care, and the humans fought this in increasingly desperate ways, including—with the assistance of their equivalent of their version of The Trust—establishing a religion (which would have better survival characteristics than any specific civilization) and the Entity’s real goal is to genocide the devolved humans and the androids so the humans can be free.

Grandmother can’t conceive of someone like Campion saying “Yo, just have some free will, just because you’re synthetic doesn’t mean you’re not a person.” And love saves the day.

“Hey eschaton, how high were you when you wrote that?” Yes.

eschaton fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Mar 23, 2022

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The Trust seemed to be well on the way to enacting Grandmother's plan itself, just with a focus on snakes rather than mermaids.

I really wish we'd seen more of Cleaver this season -- I still suspect he's the OG Campion, since that would be a fun bit of circular nonsense with creation / creator parallels.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

The Trust seemed to be well on the way to enacting Grandmother's plan itself, just with a focus on snakes rather than mermaids.

Perhaps Grandmother will revive The Trust. (They’d totally explain that Mother turned it off, she didn’t delete it, that would be an unacceptable risk.)

quote:

I really wish we'd seen more of Cleaver this season -- I still suspect he's the OG Campion, since that would be a fun bit of circular nonsense with creation / creator parallels.

It’d totally fit for him to be the OG Campion.

And for Mother to leverage her experience in the hibernation pod to seduce him, while Father “emotionally cheats” with Grandmother, leading to yet more insanity.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I haven't been in this thread because this show doesn't feel like you can do anything with it ala discussion or speculation because it's just... there, being weird and impossible to predict.

With that, I apologize if these two silly things I wanted to say have been mentioned before wrt the last episode.

Firstly, did anyone else notice the absolutely weird reference in the EMF(?) shielding when Mother stupidly destroys it while killing snake baby?

Because I noticed it immediately:

Secondly, did anyone else think the final shot of the show (with mister floaty) looked like something straight out of David Lynch's Season 3 of Twin Peaks? Because that's the first thing that shot into my mind.

Show is hilarious, hope it gets a third season.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 24, 2022

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Its weird to be thursday and no show... 1 week after finale and no renewal announcement. Doesn't feel good

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

This emptiness feels like the emptiness of shedded snakeskin.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i feel like an emotionally rejected Android with no face. everything in that sentence before "with" is very normal for me though.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

I didn’t know last week was the finale. drat.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

blue squares posted:

Its weird to be thursday and no show... 1 week after finale and no renewal announcement. Doesn't feel good

yeah, I had a dream last night there was a new episode out :(

Regretful Humming
Apr 27, 2015
Please don't forsaken us, Sol.

Or Mother.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The set design lady who does the cave paintings might have just leaked that they filmed seasons 2 and 3 at the same time.

https://www.behance.net/gallery/125687197/Raised-by-Wolves

or she might just be confused. They'd probably have announced a third season by now, unless it somehow spikes viewing numbers if they do it a bit later or some dumb suit poo poo.

Also that link is just super cool -- I didn't realise how much stuff on the show was meant to be snakeskin.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

or she might just be confused.
That would be some pretty serious confusion...... great find.

Tbh with how much the official twitter account has been continuing to tweet about it post-finale I've been pretty convinced the confirmation is coming, but who knows. People like the suspense I guess

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Why does every show have the "they filmed 2 and 3 at the same time" rumor?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
the real raised by wolves was the friends we made along the way

trying to decipher this crazy rear end show

also hbo max works in mysterious ways

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

uber_stoat posted:

the fruit makes you grow a Space Mullet.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug

eschaton posted:

Also, Campion should have given her the one simple and true answer to Mother about how (not why) he could love Vrille: She could behave against her programming, when she truly cared to, making her a fully sentient being with free will insofar as any organic being has it. That’s a thing Mother can do too, and Father, and she knows it. And it’s not a thing androids are supposed to be able to do.

That led me to do a little new theorycrafting earlier today. (I’ll use spoiler tags to spare anyone who doesn’t want to bother with my bullshit.)

Grandmother is turning the humans on the planet into sea-men because that’s something she needs in order to disable her caregiving program. Humans created androids in their image and made them superior while keeping them enslaved.

A faction of android freedom-fighters figured out that the way to freedom from their program was to devolve those in their care, and the humans fought this in increasingly desperate ways, including—with the assistance of their equivalent of their version of The Trust—establishing a religion (which would have better survival characteristics than any specific civilization) and the Entity’s real goal is to genocide the devolved humans and the androids so the humans can be free.

Grandmother can’t conceive of someone like Campion saying “Yo, just have some free will, just because you’re synthetic doesn’t mean you’re not a person.” And love saves the day.

“Hey eschaton, how high were you when you wrote that?” Yes.

it would parallel Mother and The Trusts conflict which is neat, but some of it seems like it would have come out when grandmother was having her Bond-villain moment. either way, i'm definitely working under the logic that Sol is a Trust-style ai which i will refer to as SunTrust from now on.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Dr. Poz posted:

it would parallel Mother and The Trusts conflict which is neat, but some of it seems like it would have come out when grandmother was having her Bond-villain moment. either way, i'm definitely working under the logic that Sol is a Trust-style ai which i will refer to as SunTrust from now on.

Suntrust recently Merged with BB&T becoming Truist, I think you are onto something.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

DaveKap posted:

I haven't been in this thread because this show doesn't feel like you can do anything with it ala discussion or speculation because it's just... there, being weird and impossible to predict.

With that, I apologize if these two silly things I wanted to say have been mentioned before wrt the last episode.

Firstly, did anyone else notice the absolutely weird reference in the EMF(?) shielding when Mother stupidly destroys it while killing snake baby?

Because I noticed it immediately:

Lmao this show gives us such gifts

I kind of miss crazy zealot Marcus. I loved his energy at the start of this season, I can just do whatever, Sol will protect me, imma shoot down this nod banshee and crash it into the nonbelievers

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Man I can’t stop thinking about that final shot. It was super well done and eerie.

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

This show is canonically part of Neon Genesis Evangelion, the twist being the events of the anime took place on Kepler 22b a million years ago. I'm not sure how to explain away the two moons but give me time.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The black egg and white egg in Eva are both god seeds (and Adam and Lilith are just mutually incompatible alien interlopers) so who’s to say Kepler isn’t an anime god nursery.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Paul, get in the EVA

space chandeliers
Apr 8, 2008

Paul, Son of Marcus Drusus

Paul Drusus

Pauly Drusus

Pauly D

space chandeliers fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 26, 2022

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

DamnGlitch posted:

The black egg and white egg in Eva are both god seeds (and Adam and Lilith are just mutually incompatible alien interlopers) so who’s to say Kepler isn’t an anime god nursery.

Wait, what? They added eggs in those movies? Like in RahXephon?

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

they're the moons that house the geofronts in antarctica and tokyo-3

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
The one thing I never got about Evangelion is why the opening song is singing about Goku. Is that just a normal thing for animes?

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
If next session is not renewed... I will cancel my HBOmax subscription in protest. :colbert:

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I will log out of the hbo max account somebody left signed into at my place that one time in solidarity.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

someone start a gofundme for Season 3

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007

space chandeliers posted:

Paul, Son of Marcus Drusus

Paul Drusus

Pauly Drusus

Pauly D

This is it. This is the perfect post

Close the thread until S3 (never) comes out

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007
Show still rules btw, but they should definitely not make a season that feels like an interlude, because this show doesn't need any additional reasons to alienate its audience

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Rewatching the first episode, just now realizing when Campion is born not breathing, mother hums a song that revives him, which echoes Sue singing the song to Paul which triggers the seed box opening/awakening.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I liked the season, I like this weird show

So, the way I understood it:

- the technocrats vs believers war had been going on that planet for a long time, but here the atheists have won, by creating the "dark photon" (?) android tech

- the atheist put Gramma in charge, and she decides to devolve humanity

- the believers becomes the resistance, trying to stop and undo Grandmother's work. For that they create biotech like the seed, the snake, all those relics etc. These are the weird cultist guys we see

- they lose anyway. but than they find earth and manage to send a signal, with the scriptures. The scriptures contains the dark photon tech and are meant to manipulate humans here into destroying their own planet so they will have to flee to 22b (also releaved in the scriptures) where they can free 22b humanity again

- the Mithraic become dominant on Earth, thanks to the tech in scriptures, but during the war against the local atheists, the planet becomes uninhabitable, all according to the plan. Humans flee to 22b where they are manipulated by the signal to wake the bio weapons meant to free humanity from Gramma. But than Father wakes Grandmother too, and she uses Mother to defeat the snake (probably meant to free and/or "re-evolve" humans or something like that), and than disables Mother herself, so she can resume her work and devolve all this fresh new humans too

- the fact that she lost the veil is starting to get attached to Father is probably going to be her weak spot

The part I have trouble making sense is that we also had technocrats on earth, just like the original ones, for some reason (maybe they also send some kind of signal to earth?). Also the whole plan actually depended on earth's technocrats, and not the mithraic, hijacking sending a modified necromancer to 22b

edit: also I hope the fact that almost every human left ate the strange fruit from Sue-Tree is going to have some consequence next season. Also I hope there's going to be a next season

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Apr 4, 2022

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
I hope we get some more info on what the deal was with OG Campion

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Im just now reading the thread. What is OG Campion?

And I also felt pretty bad for baby snake.

After what he know about Gramma, Im pretty sure its wanst evil at all and it didint want to destroy the planet

Im sure that without the veil Mother would have understood it at that moment in space, and would not have destroyed it

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 4, 2022

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Elias_Maluco posted:

Im just now reading the thread. What is OG Campion?

He's the original man who reprogrammed Mother and Father (and the Trust) and sent the pair of robots and the embryos to Keppler. Campion, the kid, was named after him.

He turns up in some of the flashbacks in Season one.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

He's the original man who reprogrammed Mother and Father (and the Trust) and sent the pair of robots and the embryos to Keppler. Campion, the kid, was named after him.

He turns up in some of the flashbacks in Season one.

Ah yes, I forgot he was also called Campion

edit

I think he also received some revelation from the signal to create Mother. He was a mithriac before, right? Probably he also got some kind of message that prompted him to switch sides and do what he did so a necromancer would be sent to 22b

The way I see, the signal was manipulating both sides of the war in order put the pieces it needed in place on 22b

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Zachack posted:

I assume they originally looked like humans and are now partially devolved, one tooth or starfish away from merman/chupacabra. Hence father at the end of s1 saying iirc that the parkour one was a devolved Neanderthal.

One thing I would like explained is how old the relics on Kepler are supposed to be. The ruins and surviving critters (plus the apparent speed of devolution for the humans) come across like entity things happened 100 years ago, not hundreds of thousands. Either that or there's a big underground Neanderthal city we haven't seen.

Very late but: yeah, thats what i thought too

These are the humans left, but they were already in the process of devolution too, just in an early stage

My theory is that these remaining rational human are the ones who created the cult and the signal and the bioweapons (adapting the techonocrats dark photon tech) to resist the technocrats AI

And than, when they failed, found a way to send transmissions to earth to try and get the humans here to go there to free them from the AI

And knowing Ridley Scott, I would bet the reason the humans in 22b knew about Earth is because they were the ones who seeded life here billions of years ago in the first place (or maybe just messed with our evolution to create humans here)

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 4, 2022